Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

For the Zelda players who are worried that it seems this game is just effortlessly mowing down enemies without any fear of damage, the real challenge comes in fighting enemy generals and bosses (who definitely can damage you) and in running back to keeps to save your incompetent allies before they allow for the battlefield to be seized by the armies of evil.

It is definitely not a Zelda game in the traditional sense. It's a button masher strategy adventure that makes the grinding aspects interesting by making sure that you're always doing something a little different and packing in lots of material. You can get materials for badges, level characters and get better weapons, but hours in, you're still just going to feel like you're playing new material and doing all of it as you advance, even when you replay maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

One thing to keep in mind is that most of the objectives that aren't "guard this person" or "defend this keep from attackers" can be put off, so it's often better to put off the objectives to conquer keeps and outposts, and defend anybody who needs defending.

In the first level where Cia appears, for example, it's better to save Impa from Volga early on, or else he's going to walk around wrecking everyone while you take over the two keeps listed on your objective.

Watch your map for the big threats and take them out before you start following the missions. Large red circles, red diamonds and red squares near your base make good targets. It gives you a little leeway later when the dragons start pouring out and auto-conquering some of the ground you've already covered.

This is all coming from someone who's mostly just played a bit of the campaign on normal, so take it with a grain of salt.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Does anyone know how much space the DLC for this is likely to take up? I have one of the old, sad Wii U's with no space, so I've been storing downloads for the game on a 16 BG USB, which also has Windwaker HD on it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

My NNID is RegyRusty. Can anyone do a writeup on what kinds of benefits you get from both sides of Network battles?

Anyway here's my biggest advice to people if you're having trouble getting overwhelmed by all the things going on - pause frequently. Your pause menu gives you a bigger map, and more importantly, if you go to "Battlefield Info" you can see the location and health of all allies, keeps, and enemy commanders. Use this to find people who need help, or to see where the enemy raiders are attacking so you can go kill them. It's incredibly useful. Remember that this is half a strategy game, and that part doesn't have to be fast paced!

Yeah, this is what I use when I need to chase down the people I know are going to be problems for me if I leave them alive long enough for the boss to show up. It's way easier to find them in the pause menu. hit left and right arrows within the menu to toggle between your folks, the baddies, and the locations of keeps.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Okay, I still don't loving get the elemental keeps in adventure mode! I go to the keep with the fairy in it, clear out the enemies, beat the Keep Boss, get the little "You've rescued the elemental fairy of [element]!" message, and I still take constant damage in the protected keeps! There are two different maps it's given me trouble on. Right now I'm in the bottom row, it's a forest stage you have to use a candle on and there's an A reward for Sheik, but besides the fact that the Mom Cucco is following me around and the end boss is the Dragon Knight himself, I take too much damage just tanking the keep and always get a B on that metric. :(

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

ALL THIS TIME ALL I HAD TO DO WAS PRESS THE drat ARROW KEY AND A SHOULDER BUTTON?!

I'm hurling myself into the Zora River. Please pick up my corpse before it runs into Gerudo valley and they defile it.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

So hang on, what is it that's not included in the season pass? Just the pre-order bonus costumes?

edit: and just to bother this thread with more questions, does anyone know how to get the second skulltula or the heart piece in the Sheik v. Wizzro square in the first row? I cleared every keep and killed over 1500 enemies in one runthrough, but I still can't find either.

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 30, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

Is there a way to tilt the odds of certain characters' weapons dropping? I'm drowning in loving Hylan Swords but I'm not getting a lot of other stuff.

I'm pretty sure if you play with a character, the odds of dropping their weapon increases slightly, at least in Adventure Mode. I have only the barest of anecdotal evidence to back that up, though.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Given their release schedule, it basically ensures that there's always going to be new content before I can finish the old content, which is absolutely fantastic. Nintendo made the right choice with this partnership. I hope they rake in enough money that they decide to do more of this game specifically and more of licensing their characters. There's already the Pokemon/Tekken thing on the way, but just imagine the possibilities.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

THE loving MOON posted:

Pokemon/Tekken.

Pokemon/Tekken.

I'm speechless.

I can't do the combo name because when it first happened, I put that into Google and got some real bad image search results. :v:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

How is it that in this glorious year of 2014 I cannot just shove phrases into Google and come out with a complete guide to Adventure Mode that lists the rewards for every square and the requirements for getting each of them? What is this, the Stone Age, where I have to look for cave walls that have Bradygames Strategy Guides scrawled on them?

I have Skulltulas and heart pieces to find that weren't obvious to me after playing a square two or three times here, Gamefaqs!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

The second Skulltula on an Adventure map will apparently only appear if you get 1200 kills on that map without losing more than 4 hearts. This is random Gamefaqs whispering, but it's worth a try.

Well, that's worth a go, at least!

I'd thought all the heart pieces in Adventure Mode were unlocked by taking keeps, but I took all of them in one scenario and definitely didn't get it, so some of them must be hidden in boulders on on hookshot ledges. The pace is too frantic for me to just wander like I would in a normal Zelda game.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Kaubocks posted:

I'm on the thought that Lana, Cia, and Agitha definitely feel a little out of place but it's less that they're ~anime~ (game's already hella anime) and more that they're just not Zelda characters and they stick out more than they should as a result.

I mean Impa's design in this game is mega anime but it doesn't really faze me because I just go "oh it's just good ol' Impa". Meanwhile Agitha kinda bugs me a bit (pun not intended) because I don't have that "oh it's just good ol' Agitha" connection with her.

Agitha is literally a Zelda character though :confused:

I mean, she wouldn't have been my first choice of TP characters to include either, but she's very definitely a Zelda character.

e: dammit Endorph

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Agitha is very Zelda in that she is a collectible sidequest character who seems vaguely insane and off-putting but somehow has tons of rewards to offer you for helping her with her weird, obsessive hobby. She's very Twilight Princess in that her design seems like Nintendo hired American McGee.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Kaubocks posted:

To clarify, go to "Warrior Info" (I think) in the preparations menu.

Wait, really? I thought that just listed combos and weapon info! Everything that gives me difficulty in this game is like, written in big red letters that say "HERE'S HOW YOU DO THIS, YOU IDIOT."

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

Have you upgraded its combos all the way? Because the last one is one of the most incredible crowd clearing moves I've seen so far.

You have to play through the leg of Legends mode where it splits and play Impa's scenario to do this, I assume, right?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

No you just need to get the Naginata (it's the closest weapon in adventure mode) and then craft all the "wooden sword" badges for Impa since those are what give the Naginata more moves.

Hm. Okay. I could swear I didn't have the materials for Wooden Sword for her second weapon, but maybe I actually already did it and just forgot.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Sockser posted:

There's a thing in the character information pre-battle that tells you Skulltula conditions.

So we've established, thankfully, but what about the heart pieces, Sockser. What about the heart pieces?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I have no trouble finding them in legendary, honestly, because I don't feel as much of a rush to accomplish objectives and I've mostly found the Adventure Mode ones in capturing keeps, but they are definitely not all from capturing keeps. I don't know, maybe I should just try to devote a run in each square to running around looking for hookshot targets.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

In legend mode, pieces of heart always appear by capturing a keep. Heart containers are more annoying since they could be hidden anywhere. I haven't found many of them.

You basically just have to walk around chucking bombs at every boulder you happen to walk by until you get the hookshot, at which point it gets slightly harder because the camera isn't always generous about showing you hookshot targets.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Is 50 the highest?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Can't you not use the Dojo to level above the highest level character, though?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

THE loving MOON posted:

Woah. If you click and drag on the gamepads touchscreen you can select your items from a touchwheel. That's actually really, really useful.

It's cool, but what I really want is an option to switch equipment during pauses.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jesus. So far, I've beat about ten squares in Adventure Mode with everything collected, I've gotten through four just shy of A rank, and there's one I've gotten an A rank in but still need the second skulltula and a heart piece. It's hard. My people are all hovering at around level 21 though, so maybe I just need to truck through more Legendary mode. I only just unlocked Darunia and played with him in one adventure mode stage; it was one of the quiz ones, which he definitely isn't the best for, because the hammer is anything but a precision weapon.

The quiz modes really help to unlock some of the better Attack Badges, though. Link and Impa are armed to the fuckin' teeth with combos.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

HJE-Cobra posted:

I don't think the boss fights are TOO bad, but it was pretty painful trying to kill two Manhandlas within 10 minutes on the Adventure mode. I was using a lv 20 or something character, and the stupid boss being totally invulnerable until it does its thing that you throw boomerangs at was really annoying, especially when it kept doing other, stupid attacks instead. Like, I just need a few more hits, do the stupid attack that makes you vulnerable already, jeez

Yeah, that's part of the frustration with any kind of attacks based on timing. Like, Gohma is easy enough most of the time, you just wait for him to fire his laser, leap to the side and shoot him with the bow, but I can't wait long enough to do all that poo poo while I'm supposed to be slaughtering 400 enemies. I just ignored the bosses in that mission and could keep out of their way long enough to get my KOs, but I get the impression I'm not going to be able to do that all the time and keep from getting wrecked.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

On the kill x in 10 minutes, reinforcements show up every 100 kills, so keep that mind if you're moving around a lot. I've had the most luck just evading bosses and taking down generals only if I can kill them fast/kill lots of mooks while doing so.

Yeah, same here. The only real point to killing generals is for the drops, which is actually nice if you're an under-leveled mook like I am (those stages tend to have a good variety), so it's best to just kind of eye the timer and make sure you hit the next hundred in time to generate the reinforcements.

edit: Do you get experience at all in Adventure Mode? I've been assuming no, but I suppose it's possible you get tiny amounts.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

bonzibuddy64 posted:

If you complete the first Skulltula illustration, you unlock an awesome "Rewards Map" seperate from the Adventure Mode map. The first mission in the Rewards Map is really, really good for farming weapons, materials, EXP, rupees, and unsealing skills on weapons. The monsters are super easy for any character to kill and the 6 generals start off neutral and surrounded by enemies, and since they're neutral they won't go lower than 1%. So you can just farm around 1000 kills for weapons, materials and stuff, then go recruit a general, kill the other 5 super fast since they're at 1% hp, get their silver/gold materials or weapons, and kill the boss. Every time you clear it you get a 40k rupee bonus, and if you have a weapon with Slots+ and Stars+ on it and a potion from the apothecary you can get really good weapon drops. It's my favorite mission for just fuckin' around and lazily killing stuff, stress-free.

Is the first illustration basically just "get all of the skulltulas in Legend mode"?

I need to stop playing adventure mode and just make a beeline through Legend, don't I?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Rirse posted:

I saw people mention this when looking up how to cross the river to get Agiatha. Just refight a tile near where the ladder to get the game to respawn it.

This definitely works for bombs, candles and compasses. It's hard to waste anything, they're always handing you new ones. :)

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fire Emblem is the most obvious series to do a Warriors game with. I don't know what the hell you do with Metroid anymore. The space rail shooter is thoroughly covered by the space animals and isolation and solitude is too core to the game's concept to do like a 4X space strategy thing. You'd basically have to reinvent the series even to license it to somebody.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Here's my baby, level-23-with-only-Darunia-and-Midna-unlocked Adventure Mode stages I've played on so far. The one left of the starting square I really looked for that heart piece for awhile, but I need a break. I think I'm going to focus on Legend Mode and just make sure to get all those heart pieces, containers and skulltulae. I'm sure this, my personal gaming experience has been interesting to all.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

Wow, using Excel to track Adventure Mode stuff is a very cool idea. Any chance you could share that?

Sure, it's a Google doc, so I guess I can just make it open for viewing and copying. Hang on a sec and let me share it with the address I use for SA. :ninja:

edit: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SdMZ7KpqnIJJI7s0moE8dYx2pailkrPyckADGW5okp0/edit?usp=sharing

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Oct 1, 2014

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

Thanks! You should fill that in with all the rewards and upload it to GameFaqs or something.

I should, but I'm too slow :( I'll barely get to play this week and I've only really unlocked that small segment I linked earlier.

The thread is definitely free to make copies to edit and share until we hive mind fill-in the thing. Maybe comment each square for which keep to take for heart pieces, etc. There is obviously no need to credit me for putting some colors in a grid if anyone makes it better enough for an actual FAQ/walkthrough kind of thing.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I love the prizes that are based on taking keeps because typically you have to take most of them in adventure mode just to score the 1200 kills and in Legend mode, you have all the time in the world to take them and it is satisfying to fill the map with a pleasant blue.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

greatn posted:

I wish I had the time to play this as much as you guys. I love it. Reviews have been strangely low, I thought, mostly 7s across the board. The highest I've seen is an 8.5 which I think is close to the mark but I'd probably give this game a 9. I would think it would get repetitive, but somehow it just hasn't yet.

That's Dynasty Warriors in a nutshell, from what I remember from having roommates who played it endlessly. They just have an excellent way of varying things just enough so that it always feels like you're doing something different, and the character advancement and unlocks are spaced just enough apart that it always feels like you're working toward a goal.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Endorph posted:

Instead of making a separate FE warriors they should just crossover FE and Zelda and make Nintendo Warriors.

If they release an FE one as a full release but make it interface with the Zelda game and allow you to use characters from one in the other, that's the spirit of what Nintendo should do with everything from now on.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

mabels big day posted:

I've come to the startling realization that I like playing as every character in this game. They did a great job making everyone fun and unique. I thought Sheik was bad at first until I figured out how her combos/songs thing worked, and now she's really good. I still haven't figured out Agitha yet but flying around on a giant butterfly seems good enough for me.

Every time I get a new character or weapon I'm like "What the heck?! This sucks!" and then I play through like two full scenarios with them and they become my new favorite. I'm still in the first stage with Darunia.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

mabels big day posted:

Another thing that helps is buying all the combo badges. It makes a world of difference for a lot of weapons, like the Wind Waker and Midna.

Yeah, actually, that explains why it's usually two levels. They kind of time out the material drops so that you get the intro Kokiri Sword badges just after recruiting somebody but need to wait until the next stage to advance much further.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

How do the potions for drop rates work? Is like, for an entire level when you activate them or when they say that it will last for "one battle," do they mean "until you kill something that drops stuff?"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I like going into Adventure Mode every once in awhile. I can't A-rank almost anything, but I did unlock the gauntlets and Ruto.

I finished all the levels at the three-way split and I'm still hovering at around level 25, though. Hoping I can find a way to grind out some quick experience before it gets ahead of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I am actually going through such Hyrule Warriors withdrawal that I am scouring the Internet for an Adventure Mode playthrough so that I can fill in a list of all of the rewards in the stupid spreadsheet that I made earlier. They all seem to be engineered just to find weapons, but I'm after those heart pieces, heart containers and skulltulae too.

Between this game and Smash, I am going to have to find a time machine and take the consoles back to college when I have appropriate gaming time or something.

• Locked thread