Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Brackhar posted:

I dunno, the design of The Imprisoned seems really... bad? And apparently he's a repeating boss in Skyward Sword?

Eh, this isn't a thread about that game anyway, so nevermind. Just a thought.

It's much less annoying in Hyrule Warriors, since you can take out all its toes in one special attack, the shockwave from its footsteps is smaller and doesn't linger as long, and your movement is much faster so it isn't a constant struggle just to keep up with it.

My god that was a terrible boss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

greatn posted:

The thing that doesn't make sense to me about Cia as a character, is if she wants Link so bad why not just show him those bomb rear end titties?

At what point in the game is she not doing that?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

HJE-Cobra posted:

I don't think the boss fights are TOO bad, but it was pretty painful trying to kill two Manhandlas within 10 minutes on the Adventure mode. I was using a lv 20 or something character, and the stupid boss being totally invulnerable until it does its thing that you throw boomerangs at was really annoying, especially when it kept doing other, stupid attacks instead. Like, I just need a few more hits, do the stupid attack that makes you vulnerable already, jeez

I did this one at level 40-something and it was a cakewalk. In the process I discovered that they're not actually immune to damage when the weak spot isn't showing, they just have higher defence. At that level a special was taking off a sizeable chunk of health, and even regular combos were doing just barely noticeable damage. I ended up finishing the second one off that way when the last weak point strike left it at low health.

Dodongo's the same but it's harder to get hits in because it's much more aggressive. Gohma actually is invulnerable from the front though. You can damage it from the back but it turns around and blocks really quickly. For the little amount of damage you get it isn't worth it, since unlike the other two it actually stops whatever it's doing to block when you attack it, so you're just delaying the next laser.

Edit: may as well throw in my NNID too, it's Suaimhneas. I'll go back and add people from the OP

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 1, 2014

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Bruceski posted:

Also God drat I am having issues with Link's Lv.3 Ball-and-chain map. I can clear it fine but it's so easy to get caught up in those Poe swarms and take too much damage. The damage threshold also seems to be lower, I got a B with 6,800 damage taken which I KNOW has gotten me an A on other maps.

The lightning punch combo seems really effective on those guys, and you can hit them from a little distance away which helps with avoiding damage. Get a weapon with Strength III and go to town.

Using the special when one or more of them have their weak point showing can help too.

Avoid the BBBYYY pillar-swinging combo like the plague, the animation roots you in place for far too long when there are poes throwing magic around

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Jsor posted:

I'm glad we're getting a Melia cameo from Xenoblade.

Will we have to unravel the mystery of why the Master Sword can't damage the Darknuts that have faces?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

Ok Ruto is a bizarre character. I don't really understand how to play as her. What do you do use to fight stronger single enemies? All her attacks seem slow and focused on crowd clearing so I keep getting hit a huge amount while trying to fight Link and Sheik at the same time in an adventure mode stage.

And her strong wave attack always starts off facing the wrong direction??? So I can never get it off before they hit me.

For single enemies I find that using BY to launch them gives enough time to set up a BBBY water globe to catch them in, assuming they don't block the launcher. Having weapon skills to boost the damage of those two moves helps. Water+ is nice too, because the longer they have that water on their heads the more often their attacks and blocks will be interrupted by the damage flinching. As for the wave attack, it's always in the direction you're facing at the time, so just tap the stick towards your target first. Locking onto an enemy does not make you automatically face them, it just locks the camera on them.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Wind Waker Link's gimmick would obviously be the ability to temporarily pick up and use other people's weapons

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Can someone give me a how-to-Zant and how-to-Ghirahim because they're really not clicking for me.

For Zant, mash on the combo finisher button to keep the combo going until his bar is full. Don't go past the end of the bar or you'll be stunned and the bar will empty. BY and BBY don't feel that good for me, but BBBY is AMAZING for clearing large groups and can get stronger things like lizalfos and shield moblins caught up in it too. BBBBY and BBBBBY do good damage to strong enemies if you can pull it off without being interrupted.

When the bar is full, press strong attack to go into full crazy mode. Now you can mash light attack to spin around like a lunatic - also great for clearing entire rooms - or mash strong attack to rapid-fire magic bullets at a single target.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Also, if you get several stronger enemies caught up in Zant's spin or BBBY, it'll end with them perfectly positioned for his special, which is probably already charged from all those mooks you just killed.

Edit: you might have to run forward a bit after the BBBY, but they'll be clustered together is what I meant

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 2, 2014

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Wild Knight posted:

What if you're done with Legend mode but the stuff you have to do in Adventure is kicking your rear end?

Go through legend mode again to get all the skulltulas, heart pieces, etc. Even if you got all the ones you could the first time, the hard mode skulltulas don't unlock until you've beaten the mode once.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Killing a bombchu controller turns the associated bombchu to your side, so it turns around and begins advancing towards an enemy keep. Ignore the bombchus and go for the controllers. They're not hard to find, just run past the bombchu and look for a goron behind it with "bombchu controller" over their head.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Augh, that Challenge stage where you have to kill Wizzro (with Volga beating on you) and Cia (with Lana beating on you) and not take more than 4k damage for an A. AUGH.

For those stages you really need to learn which attacks you can block and which you have to dodge. Play defensively and wait for an opening. Also, when you see the other character launch into a combo finisher that will keep them locked in an animation for a while, use that opportunity to pull your target away from them and get in some hits in relative safety. Specials can help you hit weak points if you can't safely get close enough for melee, so keep an eye out for the bright yellow pots and take the time to cut grass on the way between fights for the chance of special bar refills.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Unponderable posted:

Not sure if it was already known here, but a post on Reddit is reporting that all the materials laying around at the end of a level get automatically picked up (up to 20 laying around at a time).

I know I've killed a boss that triggered a cutscene that ended that level and I never got a chance to collect the drop, but still got it anyway.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Inverness posted:

Oh thank god. I hate having to stick around after killing a bunch of enemies and collect all of the loot. I'd rather just leave and not have to worry about it. Though the MP and SP drops are the only things I'd care about when I'm in a rush.

Well, if it's true about the game only allowing up to 20 lying around at once, I'd still wait to pick up stuff from commanders at least. Wouldn't want to lose out on some rare material because you killed a commander early in a level and then left 20 old rags lying around

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Inverness posted:

I can't imagine Ganondorf not getting his signature trident before anything else.

But there's already a weapon you can spin around and throw at enemies and shoot fire out of, and Impa has it

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Psyker posted:

Ganon with his big gently caress-all super mega giant black arm special clears bases so hard.

A few times now I've seen that move clear the keep and kill the keep boss as it appears, at the same time. :stare:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

More like "go to google" because the description in-game of what you need to do will be something like "Go to ??? and do ??? before ??? happens" and the question marks only get filled in after you get the skulltula.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Regy Rusty posted:

Seriously though most of them aren't hard to figure out unless you've forgotten everything about the mission since you first played it.

Which is pretty much what happened when I spent a bunch of time in adventure mode after beating legend mode, before going back and trying hard mode :v:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

For levels where "all attacks are devastating" use the bow to snipe targets from a distance, and always be moving so you're not next to some mook for long enough for it to summon up the courage to tap you

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Ghirahim's combo finishers are different if he has the tether up, kind of like Zelda and her light charges.

Also Zant's spinning attack is great because enemy commanders seem powerless to block it, much like his combo finishers, so they just get swept up in it and juggled for the duration. Between that and his BBBY belly-flopping attack you can be up against several strong enemies and just wreck them without them getting a chance to do anything to you.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Alternatively, bring a weapon with lightning+ and spam the lightning punch combo, because the poes are super weak to it and if you're knocking them up in the air all the time they can't go all bullet hell on you. The range on the lightning is surprisingly long, too.

Just don't even think of doing the pillar combo

Edit: slap Strength III or whichever skill it is that boosts that combo on there too.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

My favorite Lana attack is the one just before the cube ride, where you make the three walls of light and slide them across the room and then make them explode.

I love this ability because it's so good for defending keeps. You just go :frogout: and shove everything right out the door.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

The mission for the tier two summoning gate is BULLSHIT, I can't leave my base for more than a minute at a time without having to run back to defend it, how can I ever complete any of these objectives? I can easily go over 15 minutes without achieving anything. What am I supposed to do?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Okay, turned out that my problem with this level was using the book instead of the summoning gate. I didn't think the recommended element made all that much difference, not after I beat Zelda's tier 2 baton mission so much more easily with a tier 2 rapier than when I tried it with the "right" weapon. So I thought using the strongest weapon I had was the way to go. But drat, the enemies in this level must be crazy resistant to lightning because switching to the gate made the difference between "take a couple minutes to kill one stalmaster" and "wreck entire rooms in seconds"

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Wild Knight posted:

Sheik is great for that level, as she is for every level. The water shield doesn't block against the Imprisoned's lightning footsteps, but it blocks everything else and I think her YYYYX murders weak point gauges.

Also because the best way to take out its toes is with a special, and she can use the Prelude of Light to charge her special if there aren't any mooks around to kill

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

MarquiseMindfang posted:

It sucked when my best weapon for Link was an 8-bit Sword, I felt considerably less epic stabbing King Dodongo with a set of giant pixels.

I'm in that same position, but I feel the exact opposite way about it

Edit: I want an 8-bit weapon for Fi so she turns into a big pixelly sword.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Silver Falcon posted:

I've beaten Legend mode and thought I'd try to get Lana's Summoning Gate, but the square is still locked for some reason.

It seems like you can only get to that square from the south, which is where I was approaching it from, and nothing. It just won't let me go. I A-ranked the square to the south of it just in case and nada.

What gives?

You need to go into search mode on the square below it and use a raft on the pier, BEFORE beating that level.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

The Lake Hylia one took me a few attempts, on the successful one I went past Sheik on my way out to fight King Dodongo and used a special to thin out the mooks around her before running on. That seemed to be enough for her to survive. She was next to the enemy outpost in the east corridor, so I guess it spawned enough enemies to keep her occupied, but not fast enough to overwhelm her.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

MarquiseMindfang posted:

There's a rewards map where you fight two of him (and two Volgas, and one of all the other villains) in 3 minutes.

Is that one a quick and easy romp where rewards shower from the sky like "True Partners", or is it a "hope you're level 99" nightmare like the boss rush one?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

I just discovered an interesting thing. Agitha's BBBBY combo (the one that makes a huge beetle charge forward) can take out all of the Imprisoned's toes in one hit, if used from directly to the side. And you can start the combo from outside of the range of its attacks.

Edit: for reference, my Agitha's level 50 with a 5-star 2nd-tier parasol, and I was doing a "Defeat all enemies" level near the bottom-right of the map. I may have also had Strength V on the weapon

Suaimhneas fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Oct 15, 2014

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

This Link is more "a" hero than "the" hero, isn't he? In my game Ganon was defeated by Zelda, and then on the second go by Darunia for the skulltula. :v:

Oxyclean posted:

Yes, but if you want their level 2/3 weapons and heart peices, you'll need the masterquest DLC.

Ohhh drat, that's insidious. Is what I'd say if I hadn't already bought the season pass a few days after the game came out

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Zertoss posted:

I also got Ghirahim's level 2 sword. Whoever helped my network Link out, it got me a experience boost for that mission, so thanks! Then I tried the kill 700 enemies in 10 minutes mission with him for a heart container. I can't kill 700 enemies in 10 minutes with 3 Gohmas chasing me. 600 is my limit.

I got this one by using his BBBY combo a few times on each group before running on to the next group before any boss could catch up. The disc he fires out has great range and is good for clearing them out quickly. Just be sure not to mash on the combo finisher button, you don't want to get stuck in that long bokoblin-summoning animation. I also used his special a few times if I ran into a more tightly-packed group.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

BottledBodhisvata posted:

So THAT is why I seemed to be blocking attacks automatically!

Well poo poo. I figured I'd be playing Midna all the time when I finally unlocked her but maybe Sheik is the way to be.

Don't worry, Midna is a beast too once you get used to her combo timing.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Those would be great solutions, but it's hardlocked to Cia unfortunately.

Well that sounds easy. Stomp to clear out nearby mooks, energy ball to kill stronger things from a distance.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Yep, I tried one of the early story levels on hero mode on a level 60 character with a tier 3 weapon and it took three or four complete combos just to kill a keep boss or an outpost captain. It was not an experience I'd recommend.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

Does anyone know where the last skulltulas are to complete the image that starts with the Hard Legend skulltulas? I have all but two for that, I suppose it would be nice to unlock it.

They're somewhere near the middle of the adventure mode map. The level that illustration unlocks is about on par with hero mode for difficulty, though.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

For Midna, her BBBBY charges her darkness meter on the final hit. Once you've done that, her BBBY will draw in enemies from nearby (and if you have darkness+ on your weapon, start building up the increased damage debuff on them), and anything that survives that will be in perfect position to hit them with the BBY. If anything survives that, smack them with a special.

If you have a few tough enemies that are already close together, you can skip the second step if you're strong enough. The BBY hits pretty hard.

The hardest part with Midna at first is reliably doing her BBBY and BBBBY without getting the wrong one, the timing between them is tricky. Her third light attack is a downward palm slam, the fourth summons two wolves to lunge forward. If the wolves have appeared before you hit Y then you'll get the BBBBY, even if they haven't hit anything yet.

For Agitha, I find that her BBBBY is very strong against both single enemies and groups of mooks. I tend to follow it up with more mashing of Y for a quick butterfly divebomb. If an enemy's in my face I'll launch them with BY to buy time for the longer combo, or BBY if they're moving towards me but aren't too close yet.

The BBY is great for weak point breaking because you can do it in advance, dodge-cancel once the circle appears, then have your next combo and the beetle both hitting the target just as the weak point appears.

Her BBBBY can smash all the Imprisoned's toes in one hit if you can do it from directly to the side, and you can start the combo from outside its stomp damage range :toot:

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

There might be a network link on that level, which changes the reward? I'm pretty sure that's the reason I had no ladder on my map for two whole weeks.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

My favourite one was "Defeat the monster summoner" with the choice between Cia and Lana. Right after I first unlocked the summoning gate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

CatsPajamas posted:

Considering how little you can damage him and how much damage he does it really doesn't seem like you're supposed to fight him before using the Magic Circle

Well yeah, you aren't, in normal play. That's what makes getting the skulltula a challenge. :v:

• Locked thread