Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Snark
May 19, 2008

by Cowcaster

mind the walrus posted:

P. much this. South Park can be legitimately hilarious but it often gets its facts wrong for the sake of a joke, which isn't a crime but there's an entire generation who shaped their political viewpoints around this show and that's loving terrifying.

People shaping their views around political propaganda shows like Fox News are a bit more worrisome personally.

Thanks, everyone who made gamer gate possible, for guiding a new and younger demographic to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Setzer Gabbiani
Oct 13, 2004

Uncle Wemus posted:

know who should tell us whats wrong with south park? forum superstar ...Of Science!

New sons of anarachy started this month so he's probably too busy confronting his facebook friends over their disgusting right-wing choice in TV shows again

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

mind the walrus posted:

P. much this. South Park can be legitimately hilarious but it often gets its facts wrong for the sake of a joke, which isn't a crime but there's an entire generation who shaped their political viewpoints around this show and that's loving terrifying.

Is this actually true? I mean I can accept it's possible, and goons state this as why they don't like south park all the time, but I've yet to meet a person who changes their mind or decides on a position based on what they infer from south park. Do you know such people in real life?

edit: should start a thread betting pool on how long until any given thread includes a mention of gamersgate

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Jeffrey posted:

Is this actually true? I mean I can accept it's possible, and goons state this as why they don't like south park all the time, but I've yet to meet a person who changes their mind or decides on a position based on what they infer from south park. Do you know such people in real life?

edit: should start a thread betting pool on how long until any given thread includes a mention of gamersgate

50 bucks on page 13

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Frostwerks posted:

50 bucks on page 13

you're already wrong on this one, you gotta pick another thread

the Bunt
Sep 24, 2007

YOUR GOLDEN MAGNETIC LIGHT
sometimes the truth actually is in the middle of two extremes, i hate that south park ruined this concept for everything. it's not always the case, but sometimes!!

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

MrWilderheap posted:

They both said that I'm pretty sure but I think only bullshit backpedaled cause parker and stone will always just go "heh come on guys its a show with a talking turd i can't believe you'd think we're addressing political issues :rolleyes:" when called out on being misinformed

I think it's a funny show when it's not being a platform for stupid opinions though
I'm too lazy to look it up but is second hand smoke a thing in that kids who have two chainsmoking parents who smoke inside suffer from it or is it a thing where the people who obnoxiously cough when they see someone smoking 10 feet away outside have an actual grievance?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

TOILETLORD posted:

i thought the worst thing about american politics were people who believes politicians tell the truth.

This, always this a billion times into infinity.

You get the retards like Wendy Davis and it becomes incredibly obvious.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Yeaaaaaaaaaah, I'm sort of the Cartman of my school in that I'm fat and nobody likes me.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat
South Park is an OK show. Quality-wise it's pretty inconstant but when it's good it can be pretty loving good, it does weirdly preachy sometimes, although the message usually boils down to "stop being a dick".

ps Didn't read thread.

Libelous Slander
May 1, 2009

... you're just creepy ...
people don't watch the manbearpig episode correctly because they care too much about the issue. when SP set's up jokes between two sides of an issue, they ALWAYS portray both viewpoints. In this case, they were portraying how the right views al gore and the global warming issue. This is a perception issue, not an issue of whether climate change is real or not.

like people didn't get mad about the 2008 election heist episode, because it is much more blatant and recognizable for both sides (just because randy is drunk and shouting obama doesn't mean all liberals are drunk obama-hooligans)

as another poster said, they will get things wrong for the sake of setting up their jokes. the truth is never holier than the jokes for them.

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

Jeffrey posted:

I knew two dudes in high school who would always watch south park and in particular I remember one getting all "heh stupid libs and your loony environmentalism" after the manbearpig episode and one who couldn't shut up about what a douchebag Christopher Reeve is after south park made fun of him even though I doubt he even knew who he was before. Now they are both annoyingly political libertarians on facebook. I'm sure SP isn't the sole factor in making them that way but it has definitely pushed some pretty retarded political viewpoints that are no less retarded just because they come from a comedy show that doesn't take itself seriously.

I mean, really my main criticism of the show is that it's often way less funny when it gets political and because it's such a big part of popular culture you hear people parrot the "moral" that Kyle or Stan spells out at the end like it's sage wisdom from smart people who know what they're talking about. Also has there ever been an episode making fun of Ron Paul supporters? Seems like an easy target that's been skipped over because of the show's libertarian slant

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

I really liked the one where Cartman and a hallucinatory version of himself dressed as Cupid try to make sure the new black girl in school dates Token. He keeps talking about "Cupid Me" and it's pretty funny.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

do you guys like fish sticks?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

betaraywil posted:

I really liked the one where Cartman and a hallucinatory version of himself dressed as Cupid try to make sure the new black girl in school dates Token. He keeps talking about "Cupid Me" and it's pretty funny.
TEEHEE

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Its a TV show that has been pretty funny in the past regardless of your political affiliations. I don't care for it anymore due to either my tastes changing or the shown changing or both

I have quietly stopped watching south park and I don't let its politics or degradation of quality get to me. Its hard, I know

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

my politics have done a full 180 in the time i've been watching south park and it's never stopped managing to irk me now and then but i can still laugh at the jokes because i enjoy peepee fart poop jokes a lot

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
new episode of southpark tonight, gunna watch it and think about allt he people who are mad about this cartoon

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
I dunno, I think in the last few seasons they've kind of drifted away from the "truth is somewhere in the middle" message that so many episodes used to try to drive home. They're still referencing current events, but its less about taking a stand and more about just parodying them.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
"[Popular Show] bad. My opinion good. Me witty."

Yes, we all care about what you think. Please go on. But don't expect me to read it. I'd rather watch [popular show], because there's a hint of "try".

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

I dunno, I think in the last few seasons they've kind of drifted away from the "truth is somewhere in the middle" message that so many episodes used to try to drive home. They're still referencing current events, but its less about taking a stand and more about just parodying them.

Its always been best as a cynical show that'll take pot shots at anyone's sacred cows on both sides. It works well in this capacity granted it is funny. The more opinionated and preachy it becomes the less funn y it is. I agree with some of these opinions and disagree with others but it doesn't even matter because as a show its best as an antagonizer that skewers everyone and doesn't take a side or try to think its smart by coming up with an entirely new line of thinking

It should have never deviated from this

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
the season premier was v. clever & good

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

McDowell posted:

The show is made in Flash now and has very low production costs and turn-around.

It's actually done in Maya in 3d. Your world is blown.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
I like knowing that the episodes are made in such a short amount of time its like a type of improv or performance art.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Jeffrey posted:

I guess a little kid might take it at face value and believe in it, but kids are stupid and people are stupid in general

People take the onion seriously still, so I'm not too worried about it because there's probably nothing that can be done

http://literallyunbelievable.org

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD
randy marsh is cool tho

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

there's an entire generation who shaped their political viewpoints around this show and that's loving terrifying.

as someone in that generation: nah

watched that poo poo since I was 8 years old I could always tell it was for laughs and not representative of real life because kids aren't actually that stupid most of the time.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

tonight's episode was pretty darn solid

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
poo poo i forgot there was a south park tonight

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
yeah it was another good episode and it had continuity with the last episode which was neat.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

McDowell posted:

Team America is a brilliant piece of propaganda in that it can be enjoyed regardless of political affiliation by being explicitly satirical of celebrity doves while only implicitly mocking neocon hawks.

team america is not ironic.

discuss.

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

KYYYLLLEE WHAT DOES USDA STAND FOR AUNT JEMIMA SAID USDA NEEDS TO LOOK FOR THE PYRAMIDS

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
Not having a running joke of butters going insane and setting everything on fire while cursing at everyone was a missed opportunity imo

vermeul
Sep 14, 2014

Free Acid

Miltank posted:

I like knowing that the episodes are made in such a short amount of time its like a type of improv or performance art.

Agree there is a documentary that shows how they go about and make 1 episode. poo poo looks stressful as a motherfucker. Mostly, because they try and keep up with relevent world news and not make jokes/satire thats 2 months old like all the other shitbag shows.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I was a big South Park Republican in high school, but then I grew up and became a Jon Stewart Democrat.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

raditts posted:

That explains why they keep you around BOOM

gently caress!!!

les fleurs du mall
Jun 30, 2014

by LadyAmbien
can't believe they haven't done an episode yet about boring internet retards blinkeredly arguing about the political viewpoints of a poopfart cartoon

e: although maybe some of the earlier Terrence and Philip episodes / the movie count for that?

les fleurs du mall fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Oct 2, 2014

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I stopped watching like 7 years ago because if I needed a recap of current events, I'd just read the goddamn news

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
Look at all the liberal nerds itt getting their panties twisted around their dicks. :smug:

South Park owns, gently caress Al Gore, gently caress Canada, global warming = liberal cash cow.

If you think South Park is a political show you're a retard. Unless you're saying that being pseudo political is being political.

Essentially, they make fun of anyone with an opinion. If you have an opinion you're a loving retard. Hth :smug::smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

I'm here for the free hat too

• Locked thread