Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

-can you play it yet?
-when will you be able to play it?
-how much is it going to cost when it comes out?
-is it ever coming out?

id like some serious discussion on this...i asked in the games thread and they just ignored me to talk about how theyre going to sell the spaceships they just bought for 400 bucks and make a profit. sounds too stupid to be true but i dont know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManSauceGuzzlr
Jul 18, 2004

"That man...I'm...fascinated by him. That look...his whole look. It's hypnotic."
oh god what have you done

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

my star citizen question: what is it and why do goons seem to care a lot

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

LifeSizePotato posted:

ya sorry i don't understand this either

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

LifeSizePotato posted:

i think its like an mmo where you fly a spaceship, so kind of like eve online. but its not real, its just vaporware. nevertheless, fools have parted with their money to the tune of 54,000,000 USD on a kickstarter campaign so they can pwn the n00bs once the game is 'finished'

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

based on my description (an eve clone with a $54M budget) it sounds like it would be fun but i cant seem to find a way to play it. if anybody has any links to a demo or something please help me out.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
Nerds are idiots more news at 11

Rexim
Jun 2, 2006

I wants flies in on a dragons, okay?
Has a kickstarter ever actually succeeded?

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
My Star Citizen question: Can we make star citizens irl by rounding up everyone involved and shooting them into the sun?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

You can play arena mode if you give them $50 plus whatever for an actual ship

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Star Citizen is a scam complete lesson in how easy it is to make money off of clueless nerds with no self-awareness, too much disposable income and no parental/SO control.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Justin Godscock posted:

Star Citizen is a scam complete lesson in how easy it is to make money off of clueless nerds with no self-awareness, too much disposable income and no parental/SO control.

It's better than that. Chris Roberts is a honest to God true believer who really does want to make a game that delivers on all its promises and he's too naive/autistic to understand how in over his head he is so rather than take the money and run he'll just keep working on the game until it completely consumes him and ends in an even bigger trainwreck

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Rexim posted:

wasteland II

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

i still don't know what it is but i'm hearing mentions of kickstarter so that at least explains the connection to the hot dog man

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Rexim posted:

I think the potato salad one did

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

GOD IS GOOD

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
all this has happened before and all this will happen again

battlecruiser

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Rexim posted:

I was going to say the Autoblow 2 but that was Indiegogo.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Waroduce posted:

wasteland II

divinity 2, FTL

obsidian's kickstarter rpg is due soon too and will hopefully be good

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
kickstarter isn't the problem so much as the whole concept of stretch goals means that feature creep is inevitable. and feature creep kills a lot of projects.

just in terms of why so many of those games are unrealistic (like SC), the whole legality about what happens if someone just bails with the cash aside

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

It will achieve a perfect score on metacritic after 50+ reviews

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

all this has happened before and all this will happen again

battlecruiser

Derek Smart is actually releasing a competing MMO soon.

No way Chris Roberts can out Derek Smart Derek Smart.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Rexim posted:

the goal of kickstarter is to take money from idiots, so yes.

Companion Cube
Oct 11, 2007

We do what we must because WAAAAAAAAAGH!

BeefThief posted:

-can you play it yet?
-when will you be able to play it?
-how much is it going to cost when it comes out?
-is it ever coming out?

id like some serious discussion on this...i asked in the games thread and they just ignored me to talk about how theyre going to sell the spaceships they just bought for 400 bucks and make a profit. sounds too stupid to be true but i dont know.

-Yes, kinda, but so far it's just an space combat sim in space arenas. More like Unreal Tournament with starfighters instead of the first-person Freelancer MMO with modernized Wing Commander single-player campaign everybody's still waiting for
-Now, if you want to just fly a space fighter around and shoot other space fighter people in a space arena. Nobody knows, if you want to be a space trucker or a space pirate or a space explorer or whatever
-Probably not very much, everybody who's been throwing hundreds of dollars at it have been doing so to "buy" better ships than the starter ship without having to earn them in-game, or to "support the development" or both
-Nobody knows for sure if they're ever going to finish the Freelancer/Wing Commander parts of the game although it seems like they're sure spending a lot of time and money on it

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
Who is your daddy and what does he do

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

no

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
plz send me a pm op we can discuss making low monthly payments on your space sheep investment

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
doo

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

hello yes airhorn yesss

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Required watching

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

don't you loving dare

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

BeefThief posted:

id like some serious discussion on this...i asked in the games thread and they just ignored me

same

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003

Reality is what you can get away with
Hell Gem
i've seen people play the dogfighting module on twitch.tv it looks good but the gameplay is lame

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

stare in wonder at my hanger of virtual space crafts m'lady

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

do star citzens have sex?

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

toggle posted:

do star citzens have sex?

i doubt it

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Yaldabaoth posted:

It's better than that. Chris Roberts is a honest to God true believer who really does want to make a game that delivers on all its promises and he's too naive/autistic to understand how in over his head he is so rather than take the money and run he'll just keep working on the game until it completely consumes him and ends in an even bigger trainwreck

all of this is true and i cant wait to see the conclusion :allears:

reminder: a star citizen goon got me this avatar for daring to make fun of our lord mr. roberts :retrogames:

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet
My Star Citizen question is what is it that makes you become the dude who like obviously cares a lot about being seen as 'the funny one', but who seems to think that means repeating the same Monty Python quote five times a day?

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.
spend lots of money so croberts can buy more cocaine and lesnick can finally buy a pool filled with cake frosting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
my husband's cousin had a kickstarter to do a claymation thing and he actually did it and that is the only successful kickstarter I know of (the amount was like $2000 to help pay for voice actors and an editor)

• Locked thread