Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I use wikiweb. I like the way they handle tables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I use wikiweb. I like the way they handle tables.

Wikiweb handles tables well but I absolutely hate the main interface. Wikipanion has been my goto since Wikiamo stopped development, and it gets most tables right.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

tuyop posted:

I think Americans prefer nplayer because VLC in the US has some weird DRM issues.

Plex and a media server on your computer will make this much more seamless and just let you stream the data to your device. There are some apps now that also let you play from Dropbox or google drive.
I use nPlayer cause it can connect to whatever file share without a server needed and stream pretty much everything. The only real drawback is that since you're streaming the native file it doesn't work too well outside of a LAN with high quality files (barring kick rear end upload and download speeds).

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Simple weather widget. Haven't tried it.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/weather-forecast-widget/id916518918?mt=8 - $0.99

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Other than the stock mail.app, can anyone recommend a good Exchange client? Ideally, it would be all in one (email, cal, Todo, etc...) but I can work around just email. I was using Mail+ for Outlook and loved it, but with the 6 Plus the Comically Huge Fonts/Keyboard is starting to get on my nerves.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Do we know what its source is? Because gently caress weather apps that tell me downtown Seattle weather when I'm 8 miles north in northern Seattle. That's why I like Wunderground the most.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Feenix posted:

Do we know what its source is?

Forecast.io. I have to say it's basically what I want out of a weather widget, so I'm tempted. I wish I could code in objective-c because that's probably so easy to do and yet no one had a good widget. If he could just get the highs and lows on one line it would be killer.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

If this was hourly (with %chance of rain) instead of 5 day, it'd be an insta-buy.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'm still waiting for that killer widget.

Though Launcher was good while it was around.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
Jesus coming from Android putting my ringtone on the iPhone was a nightmare. I made it though and now I finally have this again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUDcSeUvkOw

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.
Check the Weather (data from forecast.io) just updated with its own widget now:

I like the data they chose to put up there but holy hell is it big.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

ChetReckless posted:

Yeah, the data is perfect, but that is not a widget I will ever be putting on my screen because it's massive.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Most of the widgets are not thinking that vertical spacing is the most important thing in the notification center. If I made a weather widget it would look something like this:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

The Dave posted:

Most of the widgets are not thinking that vertical spacing is the most important thing in the notification center. If I made a weather widget it would look something like this:

Where do I donate to your kickstarter??!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

The Dave posted:

This but with somehow squeezing enough room for an overview of the rest of the current day's weather and I would happily pay for it as a replacement to the full sentence "Today View" thing.

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 5, 2014

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

ChetReckless posted:

"Widget takes up the whole loving screen" should be a new rejection reason during review.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
If you guys have an issue with the Check the Weather widget's size, hit up the developer on Twitter. @_DavidSmith. He's usually pretty receptive to feedback.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Can devs not give widgets options in their apps? On android most widgets let you choose exactly what info you want in your widget. It'd be nice to get an expanded forecast widget and a simple view widget depending on what you want.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Is there a good todo app that falls on the feature spectrum somewhere between Wunderlist and Omnifocus, and also has a web app? Wunderlist is too simple, as I would like to have options to have reoccuring tasks (Wash Sheets every 2 weeks, Call X person every 2 weeks), set due dates on certain tasks, etc... Omnifocus seems great, but not having a web app is a killer for me, as I'd like to be able to view/edit tasks from my desktop as well as my iphone/ipad (I have a PC and their desktop software is mac only).

Remember the Milk actually has almost everything I want, but it's just kind of dated and no longer has any support. I basically want a more modern/updated version of remember the milk.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Megasabin posted:

Is there a good todo app that falls on the feature spectrum somewhere between Wunderlist and Omnifocus, and also has a web app? Wunderlist is too simple, as I would like to have options to have reoccuring tasks (Wash Sheets every 2 weeks, Call X person every 2 weeks), set due dates on certain tasks, etc... Omnifocus seems great, but not having a web app is a killer for me, as I'd like to be able to view/edit tasks from my desktop as well as my iphone/ipad (I have a PC and their desktop software is mac only).

Remember the Milk actually has almost everything I want, but it's just kind of dated and no longer has any support. I basically want a more modern/updated version of remember the milk.

Apple's Reminders does this. And it has a webapp for cross-platform support. Though that's not as nice as a Windows desktop app, I agree. I really don't get the interest in third party list and reminder apps.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Megasabin posted:

Todoist has everything you're asking for. The only nag I have with it is that some of the sidebar elements are cluttered if you're using it only for yourself (as opposed to a team), but in reality it can pretty much be ignored fine, I'm just spergin'.

---

On another note, I wish I had the option to fold every widget. I don't need to see my calendar every single time I pop open the tray. Hope it gets implemented.

BitesizedNike fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 6, 2014

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Can Overcast really not play podcasts from iTunes or am I missing something?
If not, what's a decent podcast playing app?

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.

~Coxy posted:

Can Overcast really not play podcasts from iTunes or am I missing something?
If not, what's a decent podcast playing app?

Do you mean syncing podcasts downloaded through iTunes? I've tried Overcast, Instacast and the stock Podcasts and I think only the stock app does that.

I like Instacast the best, though I thought Overcast was pretty good too. The regular app lost me when it went days at a time without being able to stay open more than 5 seconds at a time.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

Playing podcasts in my music library that I've synced from iTunes, yeah. Seems like a glaring omission.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

~Coxy posted:

Playing podcasts in my music library that I've synced from iTunes, yeah. Seems like a glaring omission.

It handles your subscriptions and episode syncing on its own server. I don't believe it uses iTunes for anything.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Yeah, it's not so much a glaring omission as the whole point is you would use Overcast instead of iTunes/Apple's Podcasts app.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I'm not sure why there's still so much hate for the Podcast app. I haven't had any problems with it.

The only thing that's annoying is I usually stream from a podcast's Feed instead of downloading first. If the app starts an episode I've already heard I'll obviously skip it, but if that podcast gets removed/added later, the partially listened-to episodes will appear in Unplayed as ready to download, cluttering things.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

I'm using the Apple app too at the moment, but would like something with some control over audio settings if possible. Setting a per-podcast amplification and normalisation sounded like a great feature.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

~Coxy posted:

I'm using the Apple app too at the moment, but would like something with some control over audio settings if possible. Setting a per-podcast amplification and normalisation sounded like a great feature.

While it isn't the "auto-magic" normalization that Overcast offers, you can set a volume multiplier per podcast in Downcast.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

Josh Lyman posted:

I'm not sure why there's still so much hate for the Podcast app. I haven't had any problems with it.

The only thing that's annoying is I usually stream from a podcast's Feed instead of downloading first. If the app starts an episode I've already heard I'll obviously skip it, but if that podcast gets removed/added later, the partially listened-to episodes will appear in Unplayed as ready to download, cluttering things.

Other Apps do the podcast thing so much better. Downcast blows it out of the water.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I don't like the stock app because it was a huge pain in the rear end to sync non iTunes store stuff with it, especially password protected stuff.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Overcast's actual 2x and smart speed are worth the price of admission alone. Going from podcast app's fake-2x-that's-actually-1.67x to effectively 2.2-2.4x is incredible. Plus the downloader knows that if I delete an in progress download, that removes it from playlists and doesn't try to get that episode again later.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

flosofl posted:

Other than the stock mail.app, can anyone recommend a good Exchange client? Ideally, it would be all in one (email, cal, Todo, etc...) but I can work around just email. I was using Mail+ for Outlook and loved it, but with the 6 Plus the Comically Huge Fonts/Keyboard is starting to get on my nerves.

I'm a huge fan of Acompli and the iOS 8 update for it just dropped over the weekend. It's an all-in-one client that pulls in *everything*.

https://www.acompli.com/

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Lum_ posted:

I'm a huge fan of Acompli and the iOS 8 update for it just dropped over the weekend. It's an all-in-one client that pulls in *everything*.

Do you know if it does push gmail or can I still only get that via the gmail app?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Lum_ posted:

This looks dope. Why is it free?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

wattershed posted:

Do you know if it does push gmail or can I still only get that via the gmail app?

I *think* it's push since it goes through their servers as an intermediary (same way they do Exchange push). The server-side retention understandably freaks out some privacy advocates - for me personally, they state pretty firmly in their privacy policy they won't resell data to 3rd parties and I'm more concerned about the NSA politely asking Gmail for my passwords when adjusting my tinfoil hat.

Feenix posted:

This looks dope. Why is it free?

Venture capital. Pretty sure their long term plan is corporate enterprise deals.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 6, 2014

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lum_ posted:

Thanks. I actually tried that one over the weekend. I could never get it to connect. Even using the exact same settings I have for the stock app (which does work).

At this point I think it's the half rear end implementation at my work. I'm migrating to a system in a couple weeks so I'll try again then.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Lum_ posted:

I'm no highfalutin' business-man, but this (so far) seems like a loving game changer sick app.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

Lum_ posted:

This is incredible. I can't seem to figure out how to add an imap account to it though. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Lum_ posted:

I *think* it's push since it goes through their servers as an intermediary (same way they do Exchange push). The server-side retention understandably freaks out some privacy advocates - for me personally, they state pretty firmly in their privacy policy they won't resell data to 3rd parties and I'm more concerned about the NSA politely asking Gmail for my passwords when adjusting my tinfoil hat.

At least with Gmail it uses OAuth, rather than storing your actual Google credentials, so that's forgivable.

But if you use this with Exchange then you are going to give them your login credentials and it's going to shunt that data through their servers. If I were a corp IT admin I'd have an aneurysm if people were using this.