Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the best part about the Patriots losing?
This poll is closed.
Chiefs win! 92 6.31%
Sad Brady 184 12.63%
Sad Belichick 167 11.46%
Sullen Belichick Press Conference 185 12.70%
Happy Alex Smith 106 7.28%
gently caress the Patriots 227 15.58%
gently caress New England 192 13.18%
PARMESAN BASIL HAS TO ADMIT ALEX SMITH IS THE ONE TRUE GOD 304 20.86%
Total: 485 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Maybe but don't lump awesome guys like Connor Barwin and James Casey in there with the Riley Coopers of the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Hat
Sep 24, 2008

Welp

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/sports/concussion-watch/76-of-79-deceased-nfl-players-found-to-have-brain-disease/

quote:

As the NFL nears an end to its long-running legal battle over concussions, new data from the nation’s largest brain bank focused on traumatic brain injury has found evidence of a degenerative brain disease in 76 of the 79 former players it’s examined.

The findings represent a more than twofold increase in the number of cases of chronic traumatic encephalopathy, or CTE, that have been reported by the Department of Veterans Affairs’ brain repository in Bedford, Mass.

Researchers there have now examined the brain tissue of 128 football players who, before their deaths, played the game professionally, semi-professionally, in college or in high school. Of that sample, 101 players, or just under 80 percent, tested positive for CTE.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The_Hat posted:

Welp

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/sports/concussion-watch/76-of-79-deceased-nfl-players-found-to-have-brain-disease/

Researchers there have now examined the brain tissue of 128 football players who, before their deaths, played the game professionally, semi-professionally, in college or in high school. Of that sample, 101 players, or just under 80 percent, tested positive for CT

:stonk:

Sour Diesel
Jan 30, 2010

More like examined the brain tissue of 128 wimps, pfff

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Hizawk posted:

I may have an extra ticket to the game this Sunday (Bills @ Lions). Seat is like fifteen rows from the field on the goalline.

Would anyone be interested in the ticket for free? Pm me if interested, I'll know for sure by Thursday.

Quoting so this incredibly generous offer doesn't get lost at the end of a page.

I'd gladly go myself if it weren't an 12 hour drive.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I'm putting my kid in baseball. No contact, no salary cap, no driving them to practice at 4:30AM

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

But did they exhibit the fencing response?

sweet thursday posted:

I'm putting my kid in baseball. No contact, no salary cap, no driving them to practice at 4:30AM

Let me introduce you to Giancarlo Stanton

e: spoilered it for anyone who doesn't want to see

e2: aaaand spoiler tags don't work on timg I guess

Intruder fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 30, 2014

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Yeah but then you have to watch youth baseball games 30 times a summer instead of 10 football games on friday nights.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
The 3 NFL players who didn't have it were 2 kickers and a punter

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Bigass Moth posted:

Yeah but then you have to watch youth baseball games 30 times a summer instead of 10 football games on friday nights.

I ain't going to poo poo unless it's the playoffs. I breed winners.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

sweet thursday posted:

I ain't going to poo poo unless it's the playoffs. I breed winners.

explain chiche

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I'm more like Chiches patron. Like Gertrude Stein if Matisse painted the mothers of his rivals sucking dick every now and then

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

sweet thursday posted:

I'm more like Chiches patron. Like Gertrude Stein if Matisse painted the mothers of his rivals sucking dick every now and then

You're my Maud Gonne. :allears:

edit
I have a new poem written about you. I call it No Second Denver

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Im going to season my sons with judo and weightlifting until they are ready for pop warner, teach them how to be strong and durable

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Athanatos posted:

The 3 NFL players who didn't have it were 2 kickers and a punter

Is this true or a joke.

Or is it like me, a true joke

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pron on VHS posted:

Im going to season my sons with judo and weightlifting until they are ready for pop warner, teach them how to be strong and durable

Mix in some thai boxing

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

This is why I'm glad I had girls

"No you still can't take gymnastics, go sign up for volleyball or track and field or some poo poo"

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

This will not do one bit to budge the "rub some dirt on it you loving pussies" crowd.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I'd like to think Goodell hasn't had decent sleep since the season began with all the poo poo that's been dropping

But he's probably slept like a baby :smith:

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Chris James 2 posted:

I'd like to think Goodell hasn't had decent sleep since the season began with all the poo poo that's been dropping

But he's probably slept like a baby :smith:

Because he has CTE

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

I heard Jerry Rice made a habit of leaning with the tackle rather than slamming his body into the tackler in an attempt to get a few more yards. Is this at all true and would doing something like that prevent head injuries in the long term?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Chichevache posted:

Just a reminder that according the NFL census Philly is the whitest team in the league.

Yeah but that is because Nick Foles counts as 10 crackers

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
One of these days we're gonna come up with a slur more de-humanizing to white people than "cracker"

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

DO YALL WANT A HAM posted:

One of these days we're gonna come up with a slur more de-humanizing to white people than "cracker"

Mark Davis

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Ostentatious posted:

I heard Jerry Rice made a habit of leaning with the tackle rather than slamming his body into the tackler in an attempt to get a few more yards. Is this at all true and would doing something like that prevent head injuries in the long term?

The theory is that CTE is caused by smaller, sub-concussive hits, like the ones linemen put on each other every play. So it might help a little, but if we assume every single tackle (and lots of other hits every play) contribute to it, it won't do much

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Panthers Sign Running Back Chris Ogbonnaya

http://www.wccbcharlotte.com/sports/panthers/Panthers-Sign-Running-Back-Chris-Ogbonnaya-277592581.html

Browns fans: Who's this guy?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

http://www.cnbc.com/id/102037057

quote:

The Federal Communications Commission is considering whether to punish broadcasters for using the moniker of the Washington NFL team, the Redskins, a word many consider a slur to Native Americans, the agency's chairman indicated on Tuesday.

The FCC, which enforces broadcast indecency violations, has received a petition from legal activist John Banzhaf III, asking that regulators strip local radio station WWXX-FM of its broadcasting license when it comes up for renewal for using the name "Redskins."

Banzhaf says the word is racist, derogatory, profane and hateful, making its use "akin to broadcasting obscenity."

"We'll be looking at that petition, we will be dealing with that issue on the merits and we'll be responding accordingly," FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler told reporters.

"There are a lot of names and descriptions that were used over time that are inappropriate today. And I think the name that is attributed to the Washington football club is one of those," Wheeler added.

The FCC could formally deem use of the team name to be indecent, and thus impose a de facto ban on it on over-the-air television and radio.

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

DO YALL WANT A HAM posted:

jet

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

He's a decent 3rd down and pass catching back and I miss him.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
I thought the broadcasters on TNF last week would try not to use the Redskins name. How did that go? Or is it this week?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

I like him a lot! He played halfback and fullback for us, and a few things in special teams. Blocked on kick returns, I think.

He was good with the ball, nothing spectacular but he could make some plays. Typically was a straight-line kind of runner, sort of a BJGE type rather than trying too hard to make people miss. Caught the ball pretty often, as I recall. Don't remember him in pass protection. Not a great lead blocker, doesn't have the size for it.

I actually thought the Browns should have kept him this pre-season, or brought him back when Tate got hurt. He is good enough for playing time

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

This is fantastic. It's one step closer to my dream that one day all of their past footage will have to be bleeped and blurred. So then all the Redskins "rich history and tradition" will be like WWF/E used to have to do. Man that would be hilarious.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

internet inc posted:

I thought the broadcasters on TNF last week would try not to use the Redskins name. How did that go? Or is it this week?

They played last week and I didn't watch it so couldn't say. It'll be interesting to see if they say it on ESPN this week for MNF

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I thought they would just say "Washington" when referring to the team.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kawalimus posted:

This is fantastic. It's one step closer to my dream that one day all of their past footage will have to be bleeped and blurred. So then all the Redskins "rich history and tradition" will be like WWF/E used to have to do. Man that would be hilarious.

Meanwhile Chief Wahoo continues unabated. Baby steps I suppose

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Kawalimus posted:

mbison_yes.avi

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kawalimus posted:

I'm all for this, but don't blur out Jim Thorpe actually being called a redskin by the New York Times a billion times, and all the old lovely wordplay about all the teams he "scalped."

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Kawalimus posted:

I'm picturing showing the audience doing the Hail To The Redskins song and it just being one 30-second long beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

I love this idea

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Intruder posted:

Meanwhile Chief Wahoo continues unabated. Baby steps I suppose
He's slowly being phased out in favor of the block C logo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
As I have said before, I am surprised with all the terrible PR they have been getting that the NFL hasn't forced a name change.

It would be the easiest publicity possible right now

• Locked thread