Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Reminder:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
What did he say this time?

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Oh, no, just generally. Forever.

EDIT: Great, I went to his block to check if he was as terrible as ever, and somehow he's worse.

hooman fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 30, 2014

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
Friendly reminder that Tasmanian local government elections are this month and I'm running in them. If you have any friends who are lucky enough to live in Hobart tell them to get on my campaign because I'm a fuckin sicko aye.

Tony Jowns posted:

Hey guys, remember when I ran for state parliament?

Well, I'm doing it again, except this time it's local government. Next month Tasmania goes to the polls for local councils across the state, and I'm running for Hobart City Council, because Hobart is the best city in the best state.

I know there's some Hobart goons I haven't met yet, so if y'all can get behind my campaign it'd be awesome. I actually stand a chance this time!

My facebook page is here so get promoting to any Hobart-based friends!

(We're running a record number of candidates across the state so if you are unfortunate enough to live somewhere that isn't Hobart I'm sure the Greens have an almost-as-rad candidate for you to vote for in October)

Schofferhofer
Oct 7, 2010

Aaronicon posted:

Oh hey, home town represent. It'd be nice to have a religious instutution here that isn't dominated by the Exclusive Brethren. Who will now no doubt step up their preaching outside work as a protest to this, I'm sure.

Just noticed this thanks to D&D, then noticed a guy I know has started a No Mosque in Orange change.org campaign.

Woo love my town

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Feel free to say hello to these shitbirds who want to have a public anti islam meeting during Eid celebrations.

https://www.facebook.com/events/708924072511626/

This event is happening over my dead body.

FDB is going to be reactivating, folks. Enough is enough.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

duck monster posted:

Feel free to say hello to these shitbirds who want to have a public anti islam meeting during Eid celebrations.

Holy fuckkk. Having an anti Muslim event on a day where many Muslims donate food to the poor and homeless. Well I guess its true that they don't share our values.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Tony Abbott does not look impressed

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

That is one lucky kid. Maybe I should run for Parliament when I detect a swing in motion and get carried in. Then spend question time chewing bubble gum and asking when's lunch to the speaker of the house.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
So it's october now, and the government still hasn't made any major progress on passing its budget measures. When are we going to get rid of this dysfunctional and chaotic government?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Gough Suppressant posted:

So it's october now, and the government still hasn't made any major progress on passing its budget measures. When are we going to get rid of this dysfunctional and chaotic government?

It's not dysfunctional, its just engaged in lively negotiations. Also I think a few measures were allowed through by Clive after they offered him stuff.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

gay picnic defence posted:

It's not dysfunctional, its just engaged in lively negotiations. Also I think a few measures were allowed through by Clive after they offered him stuff.

Yes, after concessions they managed to convince a mining billionaire to vote in favour of decreasing the tax paid by mining billionaires.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Is it entirely unprecedented for a government to take this long to get its budget measures passed?

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Planes you say.

The Abbott government is like MH 17:

It didn't have to happen, but once it got started it proceeded to gently caress up a bunch of innocent people. While many were from overseas it still hosed up an impressive number of Australians. It is being used as an excuse to gently caress up a bunch more. Also just a plane crash in general.

The Shorten Opposition is like MH 370:

When you needed to find it you couldn't. By next election everyone will have completely forgotten about it. Also just a plane crash in general.

Clive Palmer is BCR's home build Gyrocopter:

Good for a couple of laughs but ultimately tragic.

The Greens are a glider:

Nobody is sure how they work in practice.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp
But they seem graceful!

Haha, great analogies.

But wait, maybe PUP is more like the Hindenberg.

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug

Noice.

Also Palmer's inquiry into why the Campbell government was so mean to him is going to be chaired by Glenn Lazarus. I don't really know enough about these things to know if the person chairing it will have any significant impact on proceedings (you would assume they would?) but I am not holding very high hopes of this amounting to anything, other than perhaps Palmer getting even further concessions/benefits, probably in the form of either taxation or legislation changes.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

duck monster posted:

I love you DM, if you need bodies for counter protest let me know. gently caress these racist assholes.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2014/oct/01/scott-morrison-will-be-pretty-drat-cross-if-nauru-sex-abuse-claims-proven?CMP=soc_567

quote:

The immigration minister, Scott Morrison, has said if allegations that Nauru detention centre staff are sexually exploiting female asylum seekers are correct he will be “pretty drat cross”.........

While the matter had been referred to Morrison’s department for investigation the minister said there was “little or no substantiation” of the allegations raised by Hanson-Young.

“You don’t just get to go out there and make a whole range of wild allegations and then have people assume it’s true,” he told Fairfax radio on Tuesday.

“I want to know if it’s true and that’s what my officers in the department are looking at.

“I wouldn’t want to see any of those things which are alleged taking place and I’d be pretty drat cross about it if that were the case,” he said.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

Why, I'd be so cross, I'd look angry on TV for an afternoon.

But the boats, they need to be stopped. And if this is the price, well, we're doing it for people's safety at sea. It's just too much of compassionate mission to abandon.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

I like that, according to Morrison, accusations of sexual assault are to be investigated from the position that they're not true.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Holy gently caress. He'll be "cross" if allegations of rape and sexual assault turn out to be true. There aren't words.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/peta-credlin-backs-burqa-ban-in-federal-parliament-20140930-10o5pn.html

quote:

Peta Credlin backs burqa ban in Federal Parliament

Date October 1, 2014 - 9:34AM James Massola, Latika Bourke

Prime Minister Tony Abbott's most senior adviser, Peta Credlin, has told Liberal National MP George Christensen she is sympathetic to a burqa ban in Parliament House on security grounds, but warned him not to inflame community tensions while debating the head wear. Fairfax Media can reveal that Ms Credlin, who is considered one of the most influential figures in the Abbott government, spoke to Mr Christensen about the prospect of a ban last week soon after the MP said that: "Team Australia needs to make this decision [to ban the burqa]" in public spaces. It is understood Ms Credlin told Mr Christensen to be careful not to conflate the need to identify someone for security reasons with the broader debate in the Australian community about the wearing of burqas.

She also expressed support, for the sake of consistency, for the burqa to be banned for the same reason that motorbike helmets and balaclavas are banned from Parliament. Fairfax Media has also been told by people familiar with the conversation that she stressed to Mr Christensen he should make his case for a ban based on security concerns, not on religious grounds. Ms Credlin said during the conversation that she supported people's right to wear the burqa in public. Mr Christensen, by contrast, has backed an outright ban on the garment in public places.

During the conversation, Ms Credlin is said to have urged the MP to make a submission to Speaker Bronwyn Bishop and Senate President Stephen Parry to express his support for a ban. The pair are considering a ban after it was proposed by South Australian Liberal senator Cory Bernardi last week. News of the conversation between Ms Credlin and Mr Christensen has slowly filtered out to federal Coalition MPs in the past week, with some expressing surprise that she has effectively sided with the small but vocal group of burqa opponents in the Coalition including Mr Christensen and Senator Bernardi.

Her support for a ban will also potentially place pressure on Prime Minister Tony Abbott to make clear whether he supports a ban in Parliament House. Mr Abbott said during last year's election campaign that he found the burqa "confronting" but people were "entitled to make their choice" to wear the Islamic attire. Security at Parliament House has been upgraded in recent weeks after police agencies detected "chatter" about a possible terrorist attack on the building.

Last week, Senator Bernardi wrote to Ms Bishop and Senator Parry, the presiding officers, to request a ban on the burqa being worn in Parliament House on security grounds. Ms Bishop and Senator Parry will meet intelligence officials on Wednesday before making their decision.

Former Labor prime minister Kevin Rudd has previously said law enforcement agencies have never asked for the burqa to be banned.

Palmer United Party senator Jacqui Lambie, who has previously described the burqa as a "national security" risk, wants to introduce a private member's bill to ban "identity concealing religious garments". But two leading lawyers say that could violate the Australian constitution. Mr Christensen declined to comment. A spokeswoman for the Prime Minister confirmed Ms Credlin had spoken to Mr Christensen but said a final decision on a ban was for the presiding officers.

Given that you are security screened on entry to Parliament House (and have been forever) it's hard to see how a 'burqa' ban is anything other than more ways to radicalise an otherwise complacent Muslim community.

:supaburn: BUDGET EMERGENCY!! :supaburn:

http://www.businessspectator.com.au/news/2014/10/1/federal-budget/cuts-loom-fund-islamic-state-fight

quote:

Cuts loom to fund Islamic State fight

PHILLIP HUDSON - THE AUSTRALIAN 25 MIN AGO THE AUSTRALIAN POLITICS FEDERAL BUDGET NATIONAL AFFAIRS

New cuts will be announced in the midyear budget review in December to pay for close to $1 billion in extra spending to fight Islamic State terrorists.

Treasurer Joe Hockey refused to reveal the cost but today confirmed the Mid Year Economic And Fiscal Outlook would reveal how it would be paid for. Since the May budget Tony Abbott has announced $630 million in new spending to boost resources for intelligence agencies and to improve community engagement. The Prime Minister has also deployed 600 defence personnel and eight Super Hornet fighter-bombers, together with other resources, to the Middle East to be ready to join the battle against Islamic State in Iraq. The operation could cost around $250 million every six months.

“There have been a number of initiatives already announced which are very important such as increased funding for security,” Mr Hockey told ABC Radio’s AM program. “We need to identify the savings that help pay for those sorts of new initiatives. You’ll see it in the midyear update which is in December.” But Mr Hockey denied reports he had raised the white flag on changes announced in the May budget such as re-indexing fuel excise, the $7 GP co-payment and university changes that were not supported in the Senate. He also rejected the claim that making unemployed people aged under 30 wait six months for the dole was a bad policy. “If you can win a battle, you take that victory, but you never give up on the war,” he said. “We are going to continue with the principles and we are going to continue with the policies because ultimately what we are doing is right for Australia. We don’t give up on good policy. We don’t give up on doing what is right to address the legacy that Labor left.”

Mr Hockey said it was hugely important the budget was returned to surplus so the government could begin to pay off the debt left by the former government and stop the trajectory of debt going to $667 billion in 10 years. “We are working through our plan,” He said the government would take what it could get through the Senate but keep pursuing the rest. Mr Hockey said critics had said the government would not succeed in repealing the carbon and mining taxes and passing other measures, but they had been proved wrong. Finance Minister Mathias Cormann also said “nothing is on the backburner. The government remains firmly committed to all of the budget measures,” he said.

This article was first published on The Australian.

Looking forward to this round of pointless cuts!

Muppet Government

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

MANDATE.
No? Well, uh look at these terrorists threatening our freedom, please like me.

When will jesus come down from heaven and send this piece of poo poo to an early grave (in hell)?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Cartoon posted:

Muppet Government

This is quite insulting to Muppets fyi. Although while looking for angry Muppet pictures, I did find this :v:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Would it be so hard to have a female security member at parliament to check their identities in private if someone wearing a face covering wanted to attend parliament? If it really is just about being a security risk which it isn't

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Yeah great work guys, it's totes Muslims who have no respect for our laws or public service

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Zenithe posted:

Would it be so hard to have a female security member at parliament to check their identities in private if someone wearing a face covering wanted to attend parliament? If it really is just about being a security risk which it isn't

It's further taking away the voice of the voiceless, entrenching in parliamentary security protocol a method of reducing participation in democracy. Expect an article from me about this soon.

Duck monster, I pm'ed you, but I don't know if you have PMS. You need a sub-editor, I am your new soon editor. I've also developed and successfully put to use a range of private investigatory skills.

I left the swypo PMS in up there for laffs, btw. I am a great subbie.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country

I agree, the god of Abraham is a pig

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

aejix posted:

Noice.

Also Palmer's inquiry into why the Campbell government was so mean to him is going to be chaired by Glenn Lazarus. I don't really know enough about these things to know if the person chairing it will have any significant impact on proceedings (you would assume they would?) but I am not holding very high hopes of this amounting to anything, other than perhaps Palmer getting even further concessions/benefits, probably in the form of either taxation or legislation changes.

It gets Senator Brick with Eyes a pay rise: http://gu.com/p/4xnjf#block-5421138ae4b020a19dddfb5d (Dragonista, via the Guardian)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Why stop at Isis when we could bomb the whole Muslim world?
Humanitarian arguments, if consistently applied, could be used to flatten the entire Middle East
http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/sep/30/isis-bomb-muslim-world-air-strikes-saudi-arabia

Of course, the comments section is an apocalypse. :allears:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Also headlines from around the news, 'Expanded spy powers pass with one opposing voice' and 'More cuts needed to pay for defence, security spending: Hockey'. Ahahahah

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

It's pretty lol that just over half a trillion in debt in ten years is an "emergency". According to Hockey, the US should have imploded by now.

Also lol:

quote:

Mr Hockey said critics had said the government would not succeed in repealing the carbon and mining taxes and passing other measures, but they had been proved wrong.

Probably best not to brag about lowering your revenue going to your financial competence.

Nibbles! fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 1, 2014

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

TheIllestVillain posted:

I agree, the god of Abraham is a pig

As a gnostic, I agree with the other statement. The demiurge is an evil god. The only good god is the unknowable source of light, Sophia.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Cross. Not angry, not furious, just cross.

He's cross when people are sexually abused.

I kind of reserve the word cross for a lower level of anger. Like probably on par with annoyed. I can't even remember the last time I used the word.

Cross.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-01/abbott-says-he-wishes-the-burka-was-not-worn-in-australia/5782008

I can't believe this poo poo is dominating our national discussion again.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I wasn't aware the ADF were deployed to Nauru?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

ban the budgie smuggler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

"Has anyone ever sought entry to this building so attired? As far as I am aware, no," he said.

"And making a big song and dance about a hypothetical I am not sure is particularly helpful.

endless growing ironicats

• Locked thread