Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
After naming the third Xbox the Xbox One, Microsoft today unveiled the name of their next operating system.

For bonus laughs check out this April Fool's article from 2013:

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2613504/microsoft-windows/microsoft-skips--too-good--windows-9--jumps-to-windows-10.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Ummm no 1 care

Also, why are they numbering stuff all wonky?

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

We want Windows 7.5

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
lol what happened to windows 9?

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Windows 7 ate Windows 9.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

when installing and using an operating system, it matters a lot what marketing named it

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
gently caress off Microsoft. No one wants to update the OS every year.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
Obligatory valve half life joke

Actually no, :fuckoff: with that "joke"

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008
I'm still using XP out of spite

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

now my collection of factory sealed windows install discs on the shelf will be missing a number. i'll have to print out my own windows 9 box at kinkos so that it will look complete

BASF
Jun 16, 2011

by Ralp
Micro$haft Winblowz

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
BillGatesJumpsChair.Gif

ChuckHead
Jun 24, 2004

2000 years Assholes.

big duck equals goose posted:

Windows 7 ate Windows 9.

:golfclap:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Tricky D posted:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
[this space reserved for link to enterprise edition torrent]

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Apple skipped from Final Cut 7 all the way to Final Cut 10, or X as they put it, so they are the bigger monsters in my opinion.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

LINKIN PARK

Tricky D posted:

except apple users

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Apple skipped from Final Cut 7 all the way to Final Cut 10, or X as they put it, so they are the bigger monsters in my opinion.

Dunno, I'd accept Windows X a little easier than Windows 10. Also the world is dumb. This probably gets them in even more headlines than usual and doesn't really do any damage if the product is good.

D1Sergo
May 5, 2006

Be sure to take a 15-minute break every hour.
I once gave the theory that every other major release of Windows is decent, Windows 98 was ok then Windows ME sucked then Windows 2000 was ok or sucked or something then Windows XP was good then Windows Vista sucked then Windows 7 was ok now Windows 8 sucks so they're going to skip the good one and go right back to suck so good going Microsoft.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Microsoft already got its knuckles rapped in Europe over some media player bullshit, having Martin Schulz say "WINDOWS? NEIN!" and giving Apple a 1000-year OS-Reich is probably not their scene.

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
Maybe if the versioning got too high it would be confusing with Windows 9.5 and Windows 95.

Also Windows X is a little too close to Windows XP. I'm just playing devils advocate and thinking logically like Microsoft.

lizardhunt fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 30, 2014

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
I like that the new start menu is still 70% tileworld by surface area. Win7 still superior.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

Super disappointed they didn't actually go with Windows One

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
winblows 69

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I use Winders Red Star Os. Its alright.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
they named the ninth windows the windows ten

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009
So how has Windows 10 improved on Windows 8? Check out these great new features to the world of Windows:

• A Start Menu - Using this new and novel interface your list of programs is quickly available in a way that uses minimal screen real-estate!
  • Windowed apps - This amazing interface improvement now renders apps in windows instead of fullscreen, so you can rearrange the way you work! We also put close, mimimize and maximize buttons in the top left corner!
  • Ctrl+V now allows you to paste text in the command prompt. Now we're no-longer a decade behind all of our nearest competitors!

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

i still cant get over how funny it is that some marketing shitheads named that new console the xbox one in their brilliantly out of touch plan to get everybody to call it "the one" and instead it has settled on "xbone"

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003
Should have called it Windows XP 2nd edition.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
who gives a gently caress about the name if it works fine

(it wont)

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Tricky D posted:

If you actually look into why they're calling it Windows 10, it's to signify that this is the last windows ever and that rather than roll out new OS updates they'll constantly update your client.

Which is one of the most retarded ideas they've come up with. Can't wait for business poo poo to break because windows update pushed out some new functionality to everyone. Can't wait to watch my client slowly transform through something like Vista.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Atoramos posted:

If you actually look into why they're calling it Windows 10, it's to signify that this is the last windows ever and that rather than roll out new OS updates they'll constantly update your client.

Which is one of the most retarded ideas they've come up with. Can't wait for business poo poo to break because windows update pushed out some new functionality to everyone. Can't wait to watch my client slowly transform through something like Vista.

The most retarded idea they've ever come up with is businesses relying on 15 year old software sorry dude IE6.0 only.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Atoramos posted:

Doesn't that also sort of hurt their business model? I would have guessed entire businesses upgrading from older to newer versions of windows was one of their consistent revenue sources with each release.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Atoramos posted:

Pretty sure you will be able to disable this or literally no business will upgrade.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
just gonna keep using 7 thanks

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

how the gently caress old is this guy with this loving haircut

windows 10 year old screamo haircut

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Here's the article

quote:

Microsoft went instead with Windows 10 because they wanted to signify that the coming Windows release would be the last "major" Windows update. Going forward, Microsoft is planning to make regular, smaller updates to the Windows 10 codebase, rather than pushing out new major updates years apart.

With the Xbone being a failure and this being the 'last major update' I wonder how the hell Microsoft plans to make money?

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Windows 2000 was cool, so I vote Windows 2014 for this new one. I will write to Gates Bullmer whatever immediately.

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

FogHelmut posted:

how the gently caress old is this guy with this loving haircut

windows 10 year old screamo haircut

Emo retard Sylvester Stallone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Atoramos posted:

Here's the article

With the Xbone being a failure and this being the 'last major update' I wonder how the hell Microsoft plans to make money?

What they don't mention is their plan to unleash a subscriber based OS.

• Locked thread