Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poil
Mar 17, 2007

quote:

it is possible to raise and lower the roads and this goes with every road type except the gravel road.
Dealbreaker right there. What good is there in being mayor if you can't build a twisting superstructure from hell and shovel gravel all over? :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

HappyHelmet posted:

I doubt we'll see anything like multiplayer again anytime soon. Though Cities: Skylines could possibly get away with it.
Considering how good their netcode for CiM2 is, no. It's impossible to play without getting a lot of desynchs which makes the whole experience unfun and futile.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Mimetic posted:

I only played a few times and my friend and I were working on different parts of the network (co-op), but I never noticed any desynchs.
It happened everytime when I tried to play. The most obvious was when he was building an elevated metro and only half of the track actually showed up for me. We were sitting at computers right next to each other so it was very easy to spot, and of course the connection speed was 100mbit lan.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Zoobtro posted:

Does anyone else think this looks like a blatant rip-off of SC13, graphically/stylistically? Granted I haven't seen or played SC13 since the beta but that's the first thing I thought when seeing the trailer. Even the road placing sound effect is basically identical I think?

Kind of off putting.
Yeah. And yes it is.

I guess it's a lot "in your face" but it doesn't exactly give good associations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Reason posted:

For Boeing it was more a demand on WA state, but it was "Give us 8 billion dollars in tax breaks or we'll move our factories" Boeing got its tax breaks and then proceeded to move tons of jobs out of state anyways.
It's almost as if anyone making that kind of demand is not trustworthy or reliable. I'd really prefer if that kind of poo poo wasn't in the game personally. :(

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I'm no expert on agriculture but I'm pretty sure that the vast majority of farmland should be taken up by fields and not buildings.

ExtraNoise posted:

What's up with the greenhouses? Do they look really out of place to anyone else?
They kinda look a bit like cartoony versions of Anno 2070 buildings to me. :confused:

Poil fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Oct 26, 2014

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The airport is still way better than simcity2013, which admittedly isn't very hard. But those subway stations look pretty lovely though. If it's going to be that big it should at least have a roof or even be a small building for an entrance.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

How the hell is zoning for one type and then having to change it into a sub type simpler than just zoning what you want in the first place? Also, those tiny farms look like poo poo.

Poizen Jam posted:

Is anyone less and less excited about this game the more it's updated? I'm with Baron on this one. The design decisions just seem abysmal, and it's sad because the potential is right there. Right there! On the cusp of greatness but... :(
Yeah... I'm equally filling up with excitement and dread. Kinda like how things went with a certain other city builder, except with more excitement and not as much dread.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

KKKlean Energy posted:

I can't tell yet what else contributes to a residence's wealth level, but presumably it's going to be various services besides education, not unlike Simcity 4 (I'm using SC4 as my comparison game, gently caress everything else).
I just hope that providing rare luxuries such as power and water along with a small park won't instantly turn a neighborhood into mansions.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah, I love to play simulators and such with a friend. I have two computers set up in my bedroom and he two in his basement so we can play together. Adding LAN play to that is the best kind of gaming. :)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Is someone on their dev team listing simcity2013 features and the person who decides what to put in the game doesn't realize they're being ironical? :psyduck:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

The steam page says it has a new UI, but none of their videos or screenshots show it.
Now that's not at all suspicious. Maybe they changed the font to comic sans. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

gman14msu posted:

I'd be bored by the time I had to build my 500th residential street and 50th different elementary school.
Oh yes. That was such a pain when you had to plop one down in every block in Sim City 3000. Or all the fiddly micromanagement with the bloody sliders in Sim City 4. You even had to adjust the bloody bus transport slider because American brats are too fat and lazy to waddle more than 100m across flat terrain without motorized transport. Plop down school and drop sliders to bottom or you're run into bankruptcy. Wait five minutes and increase slider. Five more minutes you need to increase them again. And again five more minutes. Since when does a simulator need a micro sink like in Starcraft 2? Just increase the budget automatically as needed you worthless failures of administrators. Aaaargh! :rant:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ofaloaf posted:

How would the game know when it's on a straight road v. a curved road, though?
You didn't watch the gameplay video earlier where they do zoning? The game can already tell that.
link

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Ofaloaf posted:

I skipped through the fuckin Sips video because that motherfucker was like fuckin tiresome to listen to after a like few minutes, gently caress. Plus he was plowing through all the material at a fast clip, so I ended up just pausing and trying to figure out the salient points of the video through still shots.

Regarding the curved roads thing, I see that the zoning grid breaks up around curved portions, but it's still a grid-- how would the game determine which batch of grids is actually curved, though? Like, as it is, the game seems to just determine if a building can fit within a certain grid's dimensions, but it doesn't actually detect if a grid's in a corner or along a curve-- the same buildings show up everywhere.
Ah, right. I have no idea how it does that, I just assume it plops down a house and if it blocks some other spot you just don't get a house there. :shrug:

Poil fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Feb 14, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

The ingame thing? They called the messages Chirps or something like that
The gently caress is that poo poo? :arghfist::mad:

I hope you can disable it, or that it's easy to mod it out and replace it with something decent instead.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Sober posted:

Replace it with what? SC4D forum posts?

Yeah, I'd hate that slightly less.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

BBJoey posted:

trying to imagine using that interchange is giving me an aneurysm
Yeah, using that... thing... during rush hour would make a happy man slit his wrists on a beautiful spring afternoon.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Man, simcity5 really violated the innocence of goons everywhere.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Subyng posted:

Only if you're the spergking of the sperglords.
And as everyone knows, those kind of people do not play city builders. :v:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Awaiting the Penultimo advisor mod.
Yes! Replacing that lovely bird with the head of Penultimo would be amazing. Maybe change the sound to a toucan as well.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Bel Monte posted:

Too late! It's too late! Day one bird tit mods! Schlong Towers! Perfectly normal towers! Mod pack ruination! We don't need dependencies to be in hell. :unsmigghh:
Surely you mean immersive and lore friendly bird tit mods? :colbert:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

DEO3 posted:

Sounds like the embargo is going to be up a week before launch, at least for some youtubers/streamers who got the game early, that's a pretty good sign, hopefully there's no strings attached.
The embargo is just so everyone can start showing off at the same time and that there won't be a mad charge of rushing the videos or streams up as soon as they get their copies to score views.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cJLMnpQAqE

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Quill18 does quite a few good series on sim/tycoon/builder games. The facecam is mostly I think because he streams a lot.
He also said you should never pre order games, ever. Not even if the game is giving you constant orgasms. His words.

He's streaming Skylines on the third of march:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otd7AuJ3b6g

Poil fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Mar 2, 2015

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I've spent about 6-7 hours in total watching videos of this game. I have no life. :smith:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Oh god, based on what I've seen the cemetery and crematorium works exactly the same way as the garbage dump and incinerator. Except you don't get power from the former (and no body trucks), so there's some critical modding necessary right there.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I know I'm going to drive my city to bankruptcy with trains and buses everywhere. :shobon:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

"I don't wanna put thought into my roads and/or service placement! :qq:"

?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

VostokProgram posted:

You aren't really trying to defend the fact that emergency vehicles can't actually use their lights and sirens? You have to put thought into your roads and services anyway, this is not a feature.
Oh yeah, that is a bit annoying. I misunderstood it as complaining that the vehicles wouldn't magically ghost through traffic to always arrive perfectly. But there are a lot of countries where drivers won't actually give a poo poo since it's not their house that's on fire so it's not a far stretch. Also there aren't anywhere for traffic to evade to since cars are parked everywhere and lane merging is, apparently, too difficult to program in. It would be better if it was in of course but I doubt it's going to be more than a small issue. Granted it's impossible to tell for sure without playing it for some time. :shrug:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

JonBolds posted:

There are actually body trucks. Crematoriums and graveyards produce Hearses. They do, literally, operate identically (except people die slower and less frequently than garbage is produced.)
That's great. :allears:

JonBolds posted:

It's the loving Cargo Ports and Cargo Train Depots. They produce a shitton of extra trucks for some reason. I cannot for the life of me figure out why.
If a train can move 20 times the cargo of a truck it's going to spawn 20 trucks when it arrives, I think. Just be glad we're not getting realistic values for cargo ships or you would be seeing literary thousands of trucks from the port.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The music in CiM is nowhere near Sim City stuff.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Xoidanor posted:

The fact that modernised cargo docks function at all should be in my opinion be considered the 8th wonder of the world. The scale is just, gently caress...
I spent 1½ year studying and a few months working with international freight forwarding. Yes it is amazing it works at all. Between the infrastructure problems, the incompetence and unwillingness of politicians who are often actively working against transports, the short sighted greed of everyone involved, the cheating, the short cuts, the horrible exploitation of the poor saps working/slaving at the bottom, horrendous mess of subcontracting and I've probably forgotten things. It is a wonder anything actually arrives where it should when it should.

Just the logistics of a ship moving between a dozen ports loading and unloading containers at everyone so they have to be carefully put aboard in the correct order, and there's thousands of the drat things, is mindboggling if you try to work it out. Completely and utterly impossibly without computers and decent software.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I just saw the land value scale, it goes from light gray to dark blue to light blue. What idiot thought that up? :doh:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Couldn't it work by a cars only checking alternative lanes if they get stuck in traffic for a short time? They only need to check the road segment they're currently on, or for the whole distance they travel on a multilane road. No idea if it would work but it would reduce the processing load, maybe?

Or just add some code that causes drivers to pick a random lane until some distance before they need to turn.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

dublish posted:

Counterpoint: grids are ugly and don't have any personality. :colbert:
Counter counterpoint: Large swabs of non-euclidean roads wasting huge tracts of space with large empty areas between are also ugly and lack personality. :colbert:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Eiba posted:

He had two million in the bank, but was perfectly fine letting half his population die rather than building what he saw as an excess number of hospitals to deal with a crisis.
That does sound awfully realistic though. :smith:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Lugaloco posted:

He's now slashed the fire budget to nothing to try to shrink the deficit.

City gonna buuuuuurn :unsmigghh:
He will regret it!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Fish Fry Andy posted:

He unintentionally cut power to his sewage facility, so now his town is drowning in poo poo and dead bodies. He doesn't have enough hospitals to deal with the number of sick, he's cut all services so his land value imploded, and he still hasn't realized that one of his biggest issues is that his ambulances can't get anywhere. :allears:
This seems to happen to every single person I've watched so far. It's extremely likely it's because if you touch the powerlines at all they demolish the whole pylon and the connection breaks.

SubNat posted:

For you guys who have seen a couple of streams: are one-way roads a specific type of road, or can any road be one-way?
Every road except the 4-lane can be one way. No idea why. And the 6-lane road seems to be mostly useless (one way or two way) since cars only use 2 lanes at the most.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Having construction being very expensive and reliant on loans? That sounds just like Cities in Motion 2, and it was something that took a lot of fun out of the game. I'm really glad that it's not in Skylines. But fortunately for grognards who hate fun it's probably possible to mod the cost of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

This game will REALLY need an option to connect roads without having an intersection.

• Locked thread