Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

I have returned from negotiations with Comrade Ignatov and have found him to be quite agreeable.
I believe it is peace in our time.
Paradox has been pretty good as a publisher, recently. They've pulled the plug on several games that they could tell were going to be bad and have overall just shown good publishing sense. Furthermore, while Paradox are not the developers, publishers are sometimes what stand in the way of mod support, and Paradox are certainly mod friendly. I can't say anything about the developer, but I do approve of the publisher and from what little has been shown so far this looks like it has a lot of potential. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

I have returned from negotiations with Comrade Ignatov and have found him to be quite agreeable.

Poizen Jam posted:

Oh wow, a developer that isn't outright hostile to user created content. This does my heart good.

I think that the hostility to modding usually comes more from the publisher than the dev, and the publisher in this case is Paradox, who are pretty cool dudes and like modders.
But yeah, the devs also being mod friendly is definitely a good thing.

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

My hometown of 1,000 has two main roads crossing the town, one is 4-lane and the other is 2-lane. Traffic is really lovely during 'rush hour' because everyone drives like a hick and the roads are built badly with bad signalling and bad intersections because it's a small town and small towns are bad at infrastructure. Point being, I guess the problem varies greatly based on what town you are in but even really small towns do have traffic problems and actually need 4-lane roads.

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

People in non-western countries drive like poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N96JOEj49qQ

Hm, traffic that can't divide into lanes by speed and no one uses their turn signals? Looks like Austin!

So roundabouts seem like a really good idea for smaller roads that use 4-way stops (4-way stops are the worst) but they seem bad for high-capacity stuff that would use lights here in the U.S. Can you guys who have a lot of them comment on whether they seem better than intersections with lights as far as keeping traffic flowing?

Samolety
Jan 27, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

You can put lights on a roundabout if you want to, the rotating traffic you merge into means you don't end up with the entire crossing blocked because someone wants to turn across moving traffic.

If your roundabout is very busy you put lights on the entrances, same as an intersection, but it's much easier to get off and onto the roundabout, and if you can't get off for some reason you just go round again.

Also has the occasional advantage that the intersection continues to work if the lights don't.

That makes a lot of sense. I was going to make my question more specific:

Say the blue/yellow traffic is really, really busy, like the main artery through the city at rush hour. Meanwhile, the red traffic (red arrow trying to get to red X) is still busy, but maybe half as busy as the blue/yellow. My question was, how does red ever get onto the roundabout? It seems like blue/yellow would keep flowing pretty well but red would back up for miles because the blue/yellow keep the roundabout completely packed and red has to yield.

Putting lights at the entrances makes perfect sense and is a really simple solution to this problem, thanks.

• Locked thread