Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Conceptually it seems easy to add, certain commercial structures just get a set number of slots for residents to live in.

I wonder if their reluctance to do it is a result of generating issues with citizens finding work and businesses finding employees. Seems that if they weren't careful, it'd create exploits where you only need one type of building for a functioning city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ExtraNoise posted:

I'd really love to see a lot of political things added, though I'm worried it would lead to some sort of election mini-game which I wouldn't want. Mostly I'd like to try and traverse the pitfalls of building happiness. But honestly I'm more interested in getting a good city simulator first, not some bullshit resource management game. All that political stuff can come later.

I think elections could be a cool feedback system for measuring how well you're doing, but I wouldn't want it to be tied to a "game over" screen if an election is lost.

I think what would be better is making the mayor just another sim. You as the player would play as if it were a god game, and the mayor is basically a scapegoat for your poor decisions.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Vahakyla posted:

Bullshit. Traffc lights in european cities are mainly the same way as in the US. Only thing different is that american ones hang from a wire and european ones are often on a horizontal beam.

Wire hung lights are on the decline in the US. I'd say the vast majority of lights these days are on a beam. The ones that remain are going to be in older areas that just never got upgraded.

So I guess literally no one in this thread knows anything about traffic signal conventions around the world. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Does it matter? The look/feel of SC13 was about the only thing the game did right so it makes sense to emulate.

The important bits to keep distinctive is the underlying simulation.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Same with sports arenas, they bilk the city out of a mountain of cash and never deliver on any of the promised benefits.

I'd love to see a game address these types of problems, maybe not in this game or a SimCity because I want to have fun making perfect cities, but a game that forces people to see how big business impose their greed would be a neat comment on society.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

I don't know why they don't have randomized "props" like in sc4 and randomized colours/textures on parts of buildings to make them all look different.

I would assume they just haven't received the assets from the artists yet.

I mean yeah the aesthetic is definitely pretty spartan, but there's no way the final game is going to have a single strip mall clone stamped 1000 times.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pfft, there will be two strip malls. All the variety anyone could want.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Game is pretty, scales are weird, but I'll overlook it if the final product is fun.

Certainly not enough there for me to risk a preorder though. Once bitten twice shy. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It could very well end up being the greatest creation since sliced bread, and if it were to happen I'm sure everyone would be super happy to hear about it.

But based on past performance a pre-order makes no sense. If you absolutely love giving money to shifty developers go right ahead, but it just validates their behavior.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Deadly Hume posted:

I do because it's fun trying to untangle butterfly effects.

SC4 got around this just fine.. click on a house, it overlays an arrow telling you where the person in that house is going and how long it takes.

You can click on businesses too. Or the road and get a bunch of overlays telling you about all traffic that uses that road.

Is super effective for figuring out congestion, and they did it all without agents.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Goetta posted:

50 years of experience in city simulation games

Well if you have 25 employees work for two years, that adds up to 50!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's an important post-order exclusive too:

* Knowledge of whether the game is a steaming pile of poo poo before spending money on it.

I know which one I'm going to go for!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's just a generic youtube thing if the video wasn't marked "Public" which just means the video won't show up in any searches.. you have to have a direct link to get to it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They probably uploaded it before the "official launch" and passed out the link to news sites or something, and someone forgot to switch it to public once everything went live.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Video suggests the game has promise, not good enough to preorder though.

It is calling to me though. I just wanna build cities man.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

IPlayVideoGames posted:

That's eerie how similar it is. Lawsuit incoming.

You can't copyright an aesthetic or game rules. Just the actual assets, which this game uses none of.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Poizen Jam posted:

Haha what please tell me those dotted white lines aren't actually the city boundaries because if so, God dammit, they better be wall to wall

That's just the initial city border. You can expand it later on in the game.

Don't know why they decided to go that route, other than "well, SimCity did it so we'll do it better" which seems to be their driving motivation for every feature in the game.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Poizen Jam posted:

Any vids or pics to show what a 'full sized' community might look like?

All I've seen is the launch trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqQ0fNy0KZU

Which could be bullshots, but what they do show makes it appear that cities can be substantially larger than the initial plot.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because they gave this Sips person a copy of the game solely because of his youtube subscriber count. It's easy marketing straight to his 1.7 million viewers who are probably all gamers.

Probably not free though, the big youtubers charge money for that stuff these days.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah, it's a new world. Modern kids devour that poo poo.. if you do minecraft videos and get any kind of a following you are gonna make bank.

It's batshit crazy to me, but I'm an old fart now.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ihmemies posted:

If the game works, people just need to mod some more assets in

No poo poo. His first little neighborhood had maybe three different houses total.

The simple art style means it should be relatively easy to crank new designs out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"City Builder Pro"
"eMayor"
"Cyber Town" :science:

This is why I'm not in marketing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'd just like to remind everyone that SC2013 looked great in the pre-release streams too. It wasn't until after launch that we realized EA was using a modified version of the game that deliberately hid problems.

Not saying that's going on here, but it could be. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The demo was altered to conceal the flaws too.. happiness was tweaked so buildings upgraded faster, and the highest density roads were locked. The comically bad agent pathing was apparent but the short time limit prevented anyone from really getting a grasp how broken it was.

The signs were definitely there but only obvious to me in hindsight.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I was talking about this upcoming release with a co-worker at lunch and his first question "oh is it by the guys who make Cities XL?"

So yeah really unfortunate name on this title.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Shame about that MIDI though.

I'm surprised the song has never been done by a live orchestra.. or if it has, it hasn't wormed it's way onto youtube. It'd sound incredible with actual instruments.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ToastyPotato posted:

Sure, but I was kind of hoping for the ability to just create an entirely new body of water made entirely from sewage.

Just guessing, but if the terrain modification tools let you build a ditch and you can build a drainage pipe in that ditch then I could see the game allowing you to make a sewage lake.

It depends on if the sewage system actually produces volume, or it just adds pollution to water that's already there.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Poizen Jam posted:

If we're just going to have citizens teleport around and disappear when the graphical sim starts breaking down, then I'm even more baffled why they didn't use statistical abstraction rather than agents. I mean even the visual effect looks more like SC4 now (even if the underlying processes driving it are different), so I'm left wondering, 'What's the benefit?'

Perhaps they only discovered the issue after the game was well into development and re-engineering the system was judged not reasonable but teleporting cars was implemented as a compromise.

It could also be to satisfy some real time requirement. Abstractions are only computed at set intervals and while it was okay to wait several seconds for SC4 to recalculate back in 2001 I doubt that flies in 2015.

Is it a good justification, I'm not making an opinion either way. It just seems like plausible explanations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It's actually kind of impressive they got the game this far in Unity.

It does mean modding is going to be super easy though, which is nice.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unity is pretty great until you start trying to use physics, which is where most of KSP's issues come from.

I can't imagine this game is going to have much use for physics so I can't imagine it'll be an issue.

The ability to straight up export to FBX from Blender is a pretty big win for modders, words can't describe how nice it is to not have to go through a bunch of intermediate steps before it can show up in game.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fortunately developers seem to be catching on to the pain that is modder slapfights and are starting to do a better job wording their licenses.

I don't believe that a "mod license" would ever survive a test in court but at least language to the effect of "any mod you make is ours and you can't charge money for it" seems to suppress the most spergy of the spergs.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just think where they'd be if they invested all that effort into making their own games. Some of those modders do produce some really fantastic work.. sink that time into something that can actually put food on the table and it'd be fine.

I've done a handful of mods in my time and because it's a hobby I just throw the results out there to let people do whatever they want. There's literally no chance I could ever make a penny off any of it so what's the point? Sometimes it's fun to go hunting for my old stuff and see if anyone did something with it. Only happened a couple times, and it's amusing to see.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think it's just poorly worded information. If you just use the numbers provided, keep your high detail models around 1000 triangles and your low detail ones around 100 triangles. Probably want a couple other levels of detail inside that range.

I assume once the actual requirements are released it will make more sense.

I don't know how to interpret the textures comment, maybe at extreme distance they just drop in a universal default texture or tint buildings with a solid color.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Probably not self contained, you'll still need textures and perhaps metadata to go with the model. FBX only stores triangles.

But we won't know for sure until the game is out and we can actually look at how they handle mods.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Someday we'll get a city builder that just fills in space with zones regardless of the shape and gracefully populates those zones with buildings and parking lots, but today is not that day.

I actually think it would be kind of fun for buildings to be required to actually accommodate appropriate amounts of parking, just another phase of managing traffic congestion. But we're a long ways off from anything like that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ExtraNoise posted:

I'd like to see a dynamic parking system similar to the painting we're discussing, but for parking. It would auto fill in spaces with parking areas for cars. Would probably take a lot of logic to write, but it would be so cool.

Conceptually it's simple. Write some kind of algorithm to identify vacant space.. map the outline, flood fill, something like that. Fill the area that gets discovered with a pavement texture, if you're feeling industrious add routines to draw in some parking slots and generate a texture. Slap it down into the game world, all done.

Actually implementing it would be more complicated obviously.. after that you have to integrate it with the traffic agents so car graphics can drive and park on it. Plus there's the memory issue of storing hundreds of procedurally generated parking lot textures. So there's some real performance issues to work with.

But ideas are always easy. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DatonKallandor posted:

That's not that bad - what really kills it is the 90 degree turns onto the highway. You never do a 90 degree onto the busiest possible type of street.

Wyoming actually has 90 degree exits along I-90.

To be fair, the road is typically vacant for miles at a stretch and they add a lane to slow down, but such a thing does exist. :v:

Can see one here:

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.3309295,-104.4923234,174m/data=!3m1!1e3

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The first one looks like a Minecraft clone where some sperg went nuts building GTA IV.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Holy cow they're allowing code mods into the game too.. that's pretty nice.

Hopefully the game itself doesn't suck because they seem to be doing a lot of stuff right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Really, there was mountains of complaining when people realized you couldn't shut off disasters in SC13.

People hate their sandboxes getting blown up unless they trigger it themselves.

• Locked thread