Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Avocados posted:

With this and Citybound in development I'm pretty excited for city sims as a whole. Both titles seem rather similar but both look like they're going in bright, positive directions.

I don't know which will be better once they're out, but hopefully one of these will be the modern city builder we've all been waiting for

Skylines has a Steam page btw: http://store.steampowered.com/app/255710/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Baronjutter posted:

I'm also not digging the fact that every building is basically 4x4. This means every office building, factory, and apartment will have similar cube-like massing. Factories are huge sprawling things, I'd love to see that ever represented in a city builder. Simcity 4 had some decently sized industrial buildings. I'd love to see upgradable "major industries" you can plop. Huge steel mill or factories that actually span multiple city blocks.

:agreed:

I'd also love to see buildings taking up a footprint bigger than the building itself, or related industries gaining benefits from being grouped near one another, or just buildings going back from the street the long way instead of each one being lain along the roadside end on end :sigh:

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Whiz Palace posted:

That would be a great way to do it. Though my mind goes to when it inevitably glitches and you get a grey goo scenario where your entire city is consumed by a giant sock factory employing millions of people.

And then the board of directors starts strong arming the city governance and running team managers for council seats :allears:

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

xzzy posted:

Same with sports arenas, they bilk the city out of a mountain of cash and never deliver on any of the promised benefits.

I'd love to see a game address these types of problems, maybe not in this game or a SimCity because I want to have fun making perfect cities, but a game that forces people to see how big business impose their greed would be a neat comment on society.

Tax benefit sweet heart deals and parking lots and whatever else could be a "realism" toggle option, seems like it would be easy enough to let people opt out of.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Vahakyla posted:

Properly "building" buildings is a favorite thing of mine in games and sadly I never see it. Not Sim Cities, not this, not Banished, not Anno, nothing. It is always overlooked and they just kinda appear.

Only Settlers has had somekind of building where foundation, frames, masonry and such arise on their own.

It would be cool in city builders if cranes and trucks would fill the plot out instead of just growing out of the land.

In Stonehearth they bring each log over, build scaffolding to reach higher areas, and so on. Its pretty entertaining just watching them build.

• Locked thread