Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

http://store.steampowered.com/app/255710/
https://www.paradoxplaza.com/cities-skylines

Recently the people behind the Cities in Motion games (Colossal Order, published by: Paradox) released this video for a new city sim based off of the Unity engine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxfeBpagvQw

Personally I wasn't sure what to make of it, but since Cities in Motion 2 I've been wondering why they didn't try to branch out into a more traditional city sim. So hey, lets see where this goes. Then I saw this trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDJ-34uERZA

Now things are starting to get more interesting. My main complaint with Cities in Motion 2 was that while the game ran well, it was all kind of boring and lacked personality. Whereas with Cities: Skylines they seem to have taken one of the few positives left over from the Sim City series and inject at least a little personality into the game.

Not much is known so far about the game. So, I'd say it's still a definite wait and see, but if your interested in city sims there is definite potential here. If nothing else since this is the same people behind Cities in Motion we can at least expect the traffic simulator to function properly. Unlike the train wreck that was Sim City.

Features list (from the website)

quote:

- City policies: Set policies to guide how the city and districts develop over the course of your playthrough.
- City districts: Personalize city districts with names of your choice for variety and personality.
- Road building and zoning This includes curved roads
- Unlock buildings and services
- Taxation: Fine-tuning the city budget and services and setting tax rates to different residential, commercial and industrial levels and controlling -what kind of areas are more likely to spawn in the zoned areas
- Public transportation: Build transport networks throughout the city with buses and metros
- Outside connections: Make industry and commercial districts flourish with new customers in the neighboring cities
- Wonders: the ultimate end-game content that the players strive towards
- Huge maps: Unlock new map tiles with unique possibilities to expand the city
- Water flow simulation: Add new challenges to water services. :toot:
- Polished visual style and core gameplay
- Modding tools: Built in feature designed to encourage creative pursuits.
- Also worth noting that this game will likely be available on Steam, and not require any bullshit "cloud connectivity"

All this sounds good, but the main thing to watch will be how the modding tools are done. A lot of games have promised such things, and a lot of games have fallen on their faces delivering that. Much of how this game will turn out rests on that. After all, that is what has kept Sim City 4 alive after 10 years.

Gameplay videos

Not much so far, but here is what we've got:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP-l4JeNfI4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQ2QjcIYwXQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vdlbLEh4A08

Official versions of those:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rbsPHfNCOo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca2--bdE6ZY

*If you have any photos/info/videos you want added to the OP post them in the thread and I'll get them added

HappyHelmet fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

IRC channel created by Google Butt:

irc.synirc.org
#skylines

HappyHelmet fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Mar 11, 2015

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

A_Spec posted:

Here's the first Dev diary about roads; http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?802639-Cities-Skylines-Dev-Diary-1-Roads

As for videos, use these;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rbsPHfNCOo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca2--bdE6ZY

They're the official ones don't don't look like they've been wrung through a .JPG compressor at grade 4. Plus they're the official ones.

Added in this stuff.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Paradox isn't making it, Colossal Order is, same as Cities in Motion.

Now noted in the OP.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
If they do go the CiM route of setting up your own bus lines I hope they make it more streamlined. One of my biggest complaints in CiM 2 was setting up lines for buses to follow as the UI was so obtuse.

Provided modding support is as good as they've hinted at I wouldn't worry about building repetition as that will quickly get added to by modders. SC 4 doesn't have a lot of variety in the base game either, but thanks to modding it isn't a huge problem.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
I figured that. My hope is that it's all on the same menu, and easily accessed. In CiM 2 you end up poking through multiple menus, and with the not so great UI it made everything a chore.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
I doubt we'll see anything like multiplayer again anytime soon. Though Cities: Skylines could possibly get away with it. By having it so that during the land claiming phase they showed off each person picks the land they want. Then they are free to develop their section as they see fit.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Avocados posted:

With this and Citybound in development I'm pretty excited for city sims as a whole. Both titles seem rather similar but both look like they're going in bright, positive directions. I think everyone wins in this case. It's just a shame Simcity had to die such a brutal death for this to (presumably) happen. I hope one or the other lets me make convincing rural farmland towns. I've never been too fond of managing literal urban jungles.

Now if only theme park sims could start up again.

It will be interesting to see what EAs reaction will be if either Citybound or Cites see much success. City simulations may not have the largest market of players available, but EA basically had 100% of the market prior to the reboot. And they just threw it all right in the garbage because of their corporate policies. My guess is they will try to roll another reboot with features more in line with SC3K in the hope of winning some of the share back.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

Considering how good their netcode for CiM2 is, no. It's impossible to play without getting a lot of desynchs which makes the whole experience unfun and futile.

Ah, I never tried it so wouldn't know.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

KKKlean Energy posted:

Tropico had some nice ideas in the election/lobbying department but obviously it fits a certain theme that doesn't translate well to a regular city builder.

I'd rather not have much in the way of politics as it would be too reminiscent of Tropico, and the advisers.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
On the plus side assuming the game is reasonably moddable I doubt it will take long for those sorts of concepts to get modded in.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
Blah, from the sounds of things this game is taking a turn away from what I would rather have (a true successor to SC4).

Seriously, why does every "city" game that comes out now have to have finite resources that need to be managed. The only thing these games should be focusing on is:

- having pleasing graphics (can be a bit cartoony, but nothing too crazy)
- realistic traffic (doesn't need to be agent based, but should be representative of an abstract at least)
- the ability to create a city like you'd see in the real world
- solid mod support

Just make sure those four things are in the game, and it will sell as well as SC4 did.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

KKKlean Energy posted:

Yeah, I think there is a clear line between the type of simulation that simcity does and the type of simulation that something like Anno, Caesar III, Banished or Tropico does. In Simcity you influence where and what buildings appear, in other games you more or less control it absolutely. But then again, the other games have resource and production chains and Simcity (up to 4) does not.

What I'd like to see is a Simcity with production chains which grow by themselves, instead of being plopped and micro-managed. So zone industry over an iron ore seem and iron ore mines appear, which creates demands for smelters, steelworks, and everything that follows. If the ore dries up so does everything else in turn. Taxes, subsidies and regulations can have an impact. Let's say if the ore is becoming more difficult to extract and companies are packing up for lack of profit, you can subsidise them just to avoid an unemployment problem. Or you can be Thatcher and close all the pits.

They'd really need to abstract the poo poo out this if they wanted it to become anything, but a resource generator. It's a neat idea, but it's a short step away from sliding away from the "zen garden" feeling that made the Sim City series great in the past. Well for me that was what made it great anyway.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
That is part of the appeal to me as well :). I love carefully plotting out my cities to look half way realistic based (loosely) on the area I live in.

I guess my fear would be either:

1) The "resource" deposits being too obvious and looking like something from an RTS game, or Civilization. Which would take away from the realism.

2) The resources end up being big "put your industry here" signs. So you just end up starting every map and just automatically zoning industry wherever the resources are and quickly everything gets repetitive with every map you start.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
I feel like a smart thing a city sim developer could do is have a building creation kit ready to go before the game drops, and let the community get going on making art assets for them. Sort of similar to how The Sims games usually release the character creator prior to launch.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Poizen Jam posted:

Tiny farms, tiny airports, big gently caress off subway.

The scaling in this game is pretty off putting. But I don't think there's ever been a city sim that has done scale realistically- even the gold standard, SimCity 4, had hilariously small default airports.

Is the demand for realism just not there? Are these things necessary for gameplay reasons?

In the case of SC 4 I don't think the developers had time to implement a realistic airport that existed on a regional level. Also a realistically sized airport would probably be off putting for a lot of people. It likely would have taken up an entire medium sized city tile in SC 4 to approach being realistic on any level, and if you had to place all the set pieces manually like you do in the mods people would only get frustrated by it.

With the newer city sims you don't have the full region experience like you had in SC 4. So airports are even more constrained in size so that they can fit on the same map as the players city.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah when I bought CIM2 I assumed because it was Paradox (published) it would follow the same development pattern. Ok to not so great game on release that gets patches and expansions that make it amazing. Colossal order don't really do that, reading the forums it seems a lot of people got pretty pissed (angry betrayed people on paradox forums!?) at the lack of patches/development of CIM2, even things they promised to fix/implement. Paradox seems a lot more involved in this one though, so hopefully they rub off on these Fins more. If Paradox was directly making this I'd be a lot more optimistic that we'd see years of patches and DLC that make the game into something amazing, but with Colossal Order I'm not holding my breath and will assume the quality of the game at release is going to be more or less how it will stay.

The main issue with CiM 2 was that it just wasn't very interesting. No amount of patching was going to save a game with no soul.

Hopefully Cities doesn't suffer that issue.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
I think a good compromise would be to allow curved roads, but not all building on them. It would allow people to add a little flavor to their roads, and save developers from having to jam square pegs into round holes.

Generally in my experience you don't see a lot of buildings built right on the curves of a road anyway. It's more like: curve -> straight portion with row of houses/businesses -> curve...

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

KKKlean Energy posted:

That's a fun read. There's a certain enjoyment I'm getting out of this title putting Simcity to shame.

There's no schadenfreude for me unfortunately :(. I REALLY wanted Sim City to be a continuation off of SC4. Such an outright waste.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

ToastyPotato posted:

Kind of crazy that 10+ years after SC4, we are no closer to making a bigger scaled city sim, but to make matters even worse, we haven't even had a single game reach the scope of that decade old game.

Though, to be fair no city sim has even really attempted to go after SC4. The larger development teams seem to be under the impression that a successor to SC4 needs to be a AAA title, or bust regardless of the technical limitations. Which is pigeonholing them into more of a SC2K game than a true successor to SC4.

As to why a smaller company hasn't put out a 2-d city sim that runs well modern computers, is easily mod-able, and builds on the SC4 model is anybodies guess.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

Zeike posted:

Ill wait for all of you to buy this game before I do :D

From the videos it looks identical to sim city 2013.

Yeah, I'm not as down on this game as other people in this thread, but I can't justify pre-ordering it/buying it on release.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
I'm getting pretty pumped for this game. I have my doubts I'll enjoy it as much as I did SC4, but I think it will at least be ok. And given how desperate we all are for a new city builder that's probably going to be good enough. Here's to hoping the SC4 modding community also jumps on board.

I'll probably end up pre-ordering the game :ssh:

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

MonoAus posted:

I don't think the farms will be able to be modded to everyone's satisfaction. The thing is that the farms appear to be buildings that are zoned. The zoning mechanic only allows you to paint zones a certain way back from the road so the resulting size of the building is limited by that. To increase it would mean overhauling how zoning works entirely to make a special case just for farms. By the sounds of it they have an algorithm that tries to fit buildings in to the zoned area, perhaps it doesn't perform as well if you increase the range of sizes possible for buildings?

They really should have just left farms out, and tried to add them in later with an expansion. People would have complained about not having farms, but the sort of half-state they are in now is a poor compromise and will probably add up to a lot of wasted hours they could have spent on something else.

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer

MonoAus posted:

Crime made people unhappy in SC4, but it wasn't necessary to tackle it.

I'm not really sure how you'd implement a more advanced crime system. I guess they tried in SC4 by having the dataview that showed the exact type of crime that was going on but it was pretty meaningless.

The ideal scenario would be to have crime cause abandonment issues as "white flight" type scenarios take place. With the disenfranchised coming in to fill the vacuum left behind eventually leading to outright slums. Bonus points if a game could model the slums getting so bad even the poor move out causing crime to drop, and the rich to move back while taking advantage of depressed property values and re-gentrifying everything.

SC4 made a sort of half-hearted attempt at this, but they didn't take it far enough. Crime ended up being a relatively insignificant thing you only had to cover if you felt like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyHelmet
Apr 9, 2003

Hail to the king baby!
Grimey Drawer
Really the worst part of a media black-out is that it leaves you with nothing to talk about so people bicker about meaningless crap like pre-ordering.

• Locked thread