Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Avocados posted:

Now if only theme park sims could start up again.

There's Parkitect. It's kind of a Rollercoaster Tycoon clone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
That's silly. Just don't buy it.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Minor point, but you don't have to say Yoot Tower, the original Sim Tower uses agents as well.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Yeah, we only have one city in the country here with over 1mil population, and plenty with less (including the capital). But the other problem in city sims is land area.

Try making something actually to scale in SimCity 4. The biggest plot size in SimCity 4 is just big enough to cover the area of a real-life town of maybe 15,000 people (in real life - SimCity 4 tends to throw a few more people into housing than in reality so you might end up with ~25,000 in-game). The region system is great since you can join cities together to remedy that, but each individual plot is actually pretty small. Everything is scaled down to compensate, e.g. the default max commute time of 6 minutes. SimCity 5 isn't even worth mentioning.

Of course you can have way more than 10,000 people in a plot because you can build up instead of out, but a real city is normally much more sprawling. Still, you can't trust players to take a big plot of land and make a realistic city with a bit of high density in the middle and a bunch of low-density suburbs. Eventually they're going to build it all up into a solid square of skyscrapers and you engine that can't handle 1,000,000+ pop falls over. So you give them a smaller plot of land to handle the worst case scenario, but now they can't build anything realistic.

I kinda feel like the best solution would be to just give people really big city plots and let them build as much as their particular PC can handle - a sprawling low-density city or a smaller built-up one. But I also know that'd mean lots of complaints and support calls about how much the game's performance sucks.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
So far there are three user reviews on MetaCritic and, well... I didn't even know you could give a 0/10 rating: http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/cities-xxl

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Grand Fromage posted:

There is merit, yes. Say you made a good phone booth people wanted to use, so you have 50 buildings that all include that phone booth, so that's 50 copies where in theory you only need a single one in a dependency pack.

This was a legitimate problem in 2003 when hard drives were small and dialup was still common, and is why the dependency thing originally happened. It was quite sensible at the time. But now that terabyte hard drives cost fifty bucks and everyone has broadband it's not a big deal.

The only part of it that's still relevant is that SC4 does load slower the more files you have, so it does help to not be repeating things. That would probably be true with Skylines too. I don't think it's worth it but it's not bullshit. Dependency packs are not 100% spergy ego, maybe 95%.

Windows has this problem with DLLs and things. Linux solves it with a Package Manager. Would be cool to have something like that for the game:

- Users put their mods (buildings, props, whatever) into some central repository
- When you make a mod, you link it to needing x,y,z other mods
- Your install of the game keeps track of which mods you have installed

So you install a mod that needs x, y, and z other mods. Your game sees you already have x and y, and automatically downloads z for you.

Of course unless Steam Workshop has those features already, that's a lot of extra work for the programmers on something that's not vital.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Ofaloaf posted:

I don't understand why Mod A would need Mods X, Y and Z, though. Dependencies were a way to reference a common pool (for at least a single author) of resources to minimize filesize and prevent repeats-- which isn't really needed now. If there's assets in one building that could be useful for another building, what's to stop just taking a copy of them from the one and pasting them in the other?

- Stops you ending up with duplicate files, or different (older/newer) versions of the same file
- Automatically keeps all your files at the latest version
- Stops babies complaining that you stole their work

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying that the "just include everything" solution is bad. Considering the time it'd take to implement a package manager it's probably the best solution. I'm just saying theoretically you could solve it like this.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

ToastyPotato posted:

If it were modded, it will probably just be fake numbers representative of nothing. The issue is that the engine can only track 1 million people or something, so high density buildings with realistic values would result in tiny cities. The compromise is bigger cities with lower population and empty buildings.

I also have to disagree with this. 1,000,000 people in 36km^2 is 27,777 people per square km. That's pretty dense.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

HardDisk posted:

That wording is on Skyrim EULA and it didn't stop that community from spawning Arthmoor and Co.

The problem isn't that they are making money of it, most games have EULAs that prevents specifically that. The problem is just good old entitlement.

Minecraft had a problem like this too.

The EULA said that people couldn't make money off mods or gameplay features in third-party game servers (you could charge for playing on the server itself, but not in-game stuff), but Mojang weren't putting time into enforcing it. Then one day last year, someone asked on Twitter if you could make money from that stuff, and they said no because well, that's what the EULA said.

Then everyone freaked out.

So Mojang thought about the fact that they got lots of support emails from parents whose kids had spent lots of money on modded servers, who didn't realise that the servers weren't official. And they thought about the fact that the whole community was freaking out. And they decided to clarify the EULA and remove some of the restrictions, so that people could charge for certain things.

Everyone freaked out even more.

They petitioned Mojang to not change the EULA - to actually keep it more restrictive - because all they heard was blah blah change EULA blah no more servers. How dare Mojang stop us from scamming money from children. How dare they ruin our game.

But Mojang updated the EULA with clarifications and less restrictions, some servers changed their payment models, and life went on. The Internet is a pretty dumb place sometimes.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
LOD = Level Of Detail.

It's so you can show a high-detail building close up, and a reduced detail one in the distance (often with additional steps between the most and least detail versions). Since you couldn't run the game with hundreds of 10,000 poly buildings on-screen at once, but you also want them to look good close-up.

You'd normally make the high detail version first, then you can automate some of the detail removal but you'd usually do most of it manually I think. Easier to work out what's needed and what isn't. If there was a fully smart automated way to do it that always worked then you wouldn't have to create the LOD models because the game could do it for you.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

ToastyPotato posted:

"I'm not good enough to make my own games, or be hired by a company as a professional, but I should still be paid for the things I choose to do in my free time!"

The person in that thread who says that model "hasn't worked in years" isn't exactly correct though. The Steam Workshop itself has their Curated Workshops thing.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Poizen Jam posted:

I'm sure someone's gonna jump on me for this, claiming I'm angry or sperging that it isn't realistic, but the city where I live (Hamilton) has a population of 500k and a total area of 1100km^2. Toronto core has an area of 400km^2. So while I'm quite happy with 100km^2 as a max size for a single persistent city unit, I am still a little disappointed that I don't have the option to go bigger as it's still quite small.

Make Hamilton NZ instead. It's only 110km^2. :v:

But nah, I agree, it's really nice in SC4 having the region system so you can make cities of realistic size. The largest single maps in SC4, the 16km^2 ones, are honestly the size of a small-medium sized town in real life.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
I doubt SimCity 4 uses the same model it uses for the active city to calculate traffic etc for the inactive region cities. I suspect it uses a whole separate model.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Yes, but you could theoretically have an agent-based active city and a statistical model for neighbouring cities in the region. Although (and this may actually be your point) it'd probably be a lot more work since you wouldn't have the original statistical model to check against your simplified one. There'd be a lot more trial and error in getting it to approximately match traffic numbers etc.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Inverness posted:

Yes, that is my point. :eng101:

All good then. :)

I actually want to try an agent-based city sim. I understand all the reasons why it's a bad idea. I still play SimCity 4 and I enjoy its statistical simulation (with Rush Hour and NAM at least), but if I want all that, I'm happy to keep playing SimCity 4 a bit longer. I want to try messing around with emergent traffic situations in an agent based simulation. I am the problem.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Poizen Jam posted:

So I just came across The Architect, which looks like a really, really ambitious project. Has this been posted or discussed on the forums before? It looks like it may scratch the itch for the more spergy city builders among us, if they even come close to delivering. There's a few demo reels and examples, although it appears they chose cry engine 3 for their render so just thinking about the requirements has me all :stonk:

At first I thought this looked like a scam where they'd just used footage from that city vis demo reel from a couple of years ago. But as someone else said, it is that company, and it sounds like people clamoured for it to be a real game so much that they branched off their studio to have a go at it.

It looks like they're been putting in on the back-burner and are thinking about abandoning it as a project though. From their Facebook page:

14 October posted:

well well well... We definitively want to apologize for the LOOOOONNNGGGG days/nights/weeks/months without any news from us. Actually we have been hibernating to work on the prototype while people were having fun on beaches. We are carrying on with the project and we will be pleased to show you something as soon as something will work (great challenge!)
We hope that everybody's ok and wanna say we appreciate your support. The A. team.

Then later:

21 January posted:

Hello !!! First of all: HAPPY NEW YEAR 2015. Guys, I don't know how to say that your posts and comments are chilling us and help us to keep this project alive even when we're thinking about leaving it...
We had to take care about others issues by the end of the 2014 year but we can say (we hope) 2015 would be different.
Cheers to all of you.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Personally, you plebs can have your Cities: Skylines XL Architect or whatever, but I'm waiting for the best city builder of all: City Simulation Game Made Immensely More Realistic Then Ever. That 3-level helical bike path in the video. :allears:

If that fails, I know Civitas is going to be sweet.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Baronjutter posted:

It seems like traffic is artificially jammy. Like there's no way these tiny villages should have any sort of traffic problems or need anything other than a 2 lane road. I guess that was just a design choice to have "fun" big-city traffic problems right from the start but it looks so weird to have these massive multi-lane streets and traffic jams in these villages, plus it means your city is just covered by roads. Like the ratio of buildings to roads seems way off. It seems like it's impossible to have a little european village with narrow streets and little car traffic, the moment you get a few hundred people it's multi-lane traffic jams.

The cities all look like something out of some 1950's "CITY OF THE FUTURE" video where it assumed no one would ever walk ever again and there would be huge highway connecting every little house.

I wonder if there's any sort of car slider option like in CiM1 and 2. I'd love more realistic levels of traffic so villages don't need urban highways.

This is the result of time dilation. If time passes at a faster rate than real life relative to vehicle speed, then there will be artifically more traffic. They've actually scaled down the traffic if those earlier reports of 12 people per tower block were correct, but those factors will balance each other out. Maybe they've got that balance a little off. The solutions would be less people per building, or more time in a day, or faster vehicles.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

ExtraNoise posted:

For some reason this reminded me of something about SimCity 4: I went and visited the Maxis offices in September 2002, a few months before the game came out, to sit down and play SimCity 4. It was a really cool opportunity to get to meet the team and play the game for a few hours. They were super cool with their fans back in the day.

Anyway, one of the things I seem to remember were the cars zipping around at incredible speeds, even on the slowest settings. They were basically so fast that you couldn't even really see them unless you paused the game. On the faster speeds they moved even quicker. They were, of course, modeled to whatever time of day it was in the day/night cycle that SC4 had. Apparently somewhere along the way they must have slowed them down so you could see them better.

And thinking about that now and applying it to what we're seeing in C:S, I'm venturing a guess the traffic models would look a lot more "normal" if cars moved at the speed the day cycle was occurring at. Instead they are getting all bunched up because, relatively, they are all on the road at the same time even if they're not supposed to be.

Yeah, if your time is 10x faster than real time and your traffic is 2x faster, you'll have about 5x more traffic than reality. Then if your buildings generate 1/5 of a realistic amount of cars, you'll hopefully have about the right amount of traffic.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Subyng posted:

By "nice place to live" you mean your personal perfect pedestrian wall-to-wall utopia?

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Baronjutter posted:

How much was the Simcity Pre-order? Didn't they have some outrageously expensive version that came with a few really lovely european landmarks?

This would be funny if true considering that Cities: Skylines is doing exactly that.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Honestly, considering how hard it must be to get good performance out of simulating that many vehicles at once, I think their vehicle AI is doing pretty well. Especially looking at what SimCity managed with a much larger team.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Baronjutter posted:

Man I really hope modding the minimum curves and maximum grades for the various roads is easy because like the first thing I'll do if I have the chance is implement something a touch more realistic with the crazy loving ramps everywhere. In reality 2% on a railway is considered extreme and anything over 10% is very high for a street and pretty much right out for a highway. Also trains need much broader curves, at least to travel at any useful speed. Don't need to go full realism sperg, maybe 3-4% max grade for trains, 10-15% on highways. In the game I'm seeing trains and highways doing crazy impossible 20%+ grades. Some of them would be hard to even walk up let alone drive a train.

To me anyways I actually enjoy the challenge of dealing with those sort of things, and it makes your city not look like poo poo.

We have some fairly steep highways here where it's hilly, but I'm not sure what the grade would actually be. Probably nowhere near what people in the game are doing, but maybe more than 10-15%. What sort of grade would this be?: https://goo.gl/maps/U11SY

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
Fused Grid doesn't have to be that much of a grid.

Edit: Look at all the green space between blocks. So unrealistic.

Nition fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Mar 5, 2015

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Baronjutter posted:

I went up and down the highway a bit as usually at the start of an extreme grade there will be a warning sign to warn that there's a steep grade and then list the grade in %. I saw a sign for trucks to use their low gears, but not a specific grade %. I'm not sure what the highway code is like in gorgeous NZ, but here I think you need a grade warning that lists the grade on anything beyond 6%. My best guess for that stretch of highway would only be about 5-8%. Like I said in a previous post, from the viewing angle we're playing our city-builders at, grades look really modest, but from a driver's perspective they'd be practically cliffs. Cars would be bottoming out at the crests or scraping their fronts at the bottom of a lot of these mega-ramps. The bridges/overpasses them selves seem way too high as well, like about twice as high as they'd need to be. You only need about 4m clearance for most road bridges, while in-game many look to be closer to 8-12m, which only forces the grades to be that much more extreme.

Here's a famously "dangerous" highway where I live, it kills a lot of people because the curves are much tighter and the grades much steeper than a usual highways, but the max grade on the whole stretch is only 7%.
http://goo.gl/maps/mkjI2

Here is a 15% grade street in Seattle, very extreme.
http://goo.gl/maps/pRlKy

Now imagine double that. Now imagine a train going up.

Thanks and yeah, I know what you mean about the perspective. The other thing is that in real life you only have grades that steep if you're on some crazy hill, not just because you feel like it in the middle of a flat city.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

OwlFancier posted:

Oh no I was thinking ridiculously tall tower-cities all arranged in circles with massive green belts between them. If you can't signal aliens from space with your weird circular road patterns I don't want to know about it.

Did you look at that link Fluo posted earlier? http://thecharnelhouse.org/2014/06/03/le-corbusiers-contemporary-city-1925/

It's from the 20s but it's still a super highway-based city of the future.

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Battersea Power Station. This one's still around, but decommissioned. It's in London.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?
This is a good thread of real interchanges: http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1740095

• Locked thread