Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Voting SNP. Our constituency's been pretty strongly Lib Dem since 1997, and although Labour came second last time I never want to vote for Labour as far as I can help it. Can't say for sure which way it'll swing, but since we were dominated by the Tories before 1997, we have an SNP MSP and the Lib Dems will be decimated next year we could either go Tory or SNP. Interesting times, either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

There's still just under seven months before the election. Official campaigning hasn't even started, and the debate(s) could change everything. A Labour victory doesn't look as clear cut as you'd expect. I mean, I hope they win (as far as I really hope the Tories and UKIP lose), but it's not close to finished yet.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

ReV VAdAUL posted:

There really wasn't anyone better than Ed sadly.

Well, there was John McDonnell, but he was never going to achieve the nominations he needed. (Still won't next year.)

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Not exactly. It's currently held by a Tory and the second place candidate was a Lib Dem, and since the Lib Dems are going to be slaughtered next year it'll likely be held by the Tories.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Rat Flavoured Rats posted:

Surely they'll be standing a different candidate?

Probably, but since UKIP was originally going to stand an animal abuser, it won't reflect well on the party as a whole at a local level and it gives their opponents ammunition in the general election campaign. Granted, they could cover it up or reduce it to a non-issue by next May, but right now I don't see them taking the seat from the Tories.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

So let's say Callaghan called an election in 1978, before the Winter of Discontent and failed devolution referendum, and won a small but workable majority. Obviously Thatcher would resign and we'd be spared the excesses of Thatcherism (for the time being), but what would the early '80s look like under Labour?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

So would I be right in thinking that the Fixed Term Parliaments Act would be repealed regardless of the election results?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Coohoolin posted:

slow as molasses

Not criticising your post, but molasses isn't all that slow. :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Jose posted:

or its a bit too early and UKIP are dominating the headlines instead

This is more likely to me. Like last time they'll probably campaign on somewhat centrist, compassionate grounds, and if they're elected (either as a majority or in a coalition with UKIP) they'll enact all of that insane shite and more.

• Locked thread