Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

Today's Game

Today in Baseball History
  • 1927 - Babe Ruth hits his 60th home run of the season in the eighth inning off Tom Zachary to lead the New York Yankees to a 4-2 victory over the Washington Senators.
  • 1945 - Hank Greenberg's grand-slam home run in the ninth inning on the final day of the season beats the St. Louis Browns 6-3 and clinches the American League pennant for the Detroit Tigers. Virgil Trucks, discharged three days earlier from the Navy, is the starter, with Hal Newhouser relieving in the fifth.
  • 1947 - In the first televised World Series, the New York Yankees beat the Brooklyn Dodgers 5-3 in the opening game.
  • 1949 - Ralph Kiner hits his 54th homer and 16th in September, as the Pirates beat Herm Wehmeier and the Reds 3-2. The monthly total eclipses Cy Williams' 1923 National League mark.
  • 1956 - White Sox hurler Jim Derrington becomes the youngest pitcher in modern history to start a game. He loses to Kansas City 7-6 at the age of 16 years and 10 months.
  • 1972 - Roberto Clemente doubles off Jon Matlack during Pittsburgh's 5-0 victory over the New York Mets. The hit is the 3,000th and last for the Pirates star right fielder, who was killed in a plane crash during the offseason.
  • 1980 - A's outfielder Rickey Henderson sets the American League single-season stolen base record with his 98th in a 5-1 win over the White Sox, breaking Ty Cobb's record of 96 set in 1915. Henderson will finish the season with one-hundred stolen bases.
  • 1981 - In the last major-league game at Minnesota's Metropolitan Stadium, Kansas City clinches at least a tie for the American League West second-half title with a 5-2 win over the Twins. Next season, the Twins will play in the brand-new Hubert H. Humphrey Metrodome in downtown Minneapolis.
  • 1990 - The final game is played at old Comiskey Park with the White Sox edging the Mariners, 2-1. The final regular-season won-loss record at the old ballpark is 3,024-2,926 (.508).
  • 1992 - George Brett becomes the 18th player to get 3,000 hits in the Kansas City Royals' 4-0 win over the California Angels.
  • 1998 - John Smoltz becomes the winningest pitcher in postseason history, allowing only five hits in 7 2/3 innings as the Atlanta Braves cruise to a 7-1 victory over the Chicago Cubs in Game 1 of their National League divisional playoff series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Walter white baseball owns

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
The Kansas City Royals are on a three-game postseason winning streak

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe
and a three-game postseason losing streak against Oakland.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

Poonerman posted:

The Kansas City Royals are on a three-game postseason winning streak

love this

Tedd_Not_Ed posted:

Today in Baseball History
  • 1992 - George Brett becomes the 18th player to get 3,000 hits in the Kansas City Royals' 4-0 win over the California Angels.

and this!

Sandpuppy posted:

and a three-game postseason losing streak against Oakland.

Yeah, except for the last time we were in the post season when we won the world series?

Julius CSAR fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Oct 1, 2014

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
wow luke hochevar is still a thing

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Nice pube-stache, Vargas.

Michael Bayleaf
Jun 4, 2006

Tortured By Flan
alright let's go Kansas City Royals I guess, even though I often forget you exist

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Too bad only one of these teams can move on. Whoever it is, I hope they beat the Angels. :getin:

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
cool retro montage

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is my new home team vs. my old home team. Either way I'm going to be celebrating and angry at the end of the game. Oh well, go Royals (or A's)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I remember 1985

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
what was with that awful techno music?

LonesomeCrowdedWest
May 8, 2008
Hoping for another infield fly like debacle

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

they finally broke the hex the cards put on them for don denkinger

go royals

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I'm rooting for one or both of these teams to embarrass themselves.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
I'm rooting for 35 innings

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

I'm rooting for Hustle and Heart

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Who's going to support wil Myers for James Shields now

:smug:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Oh god please do this for me Royals...

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
As an O's fan, I am used to rooting against Jon Lester, so this is an easy transition. Go Royals.

Shoot, it even sounds like Orioles.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Vertical Lime posted:

they finally broke the hex the cards put on them for don denkinger

go royals

Thee Don Denkinger, Thee

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Welp I'm terrified.

Go Royals, you bastards.

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."
I have no idea who to root for, so

Zythrst posted:

I'm rooting for 35 innings

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Go KC

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

ready for playoff hero Sam Fuld

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I'm rooting for the final piece of the Oakland collapse.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
gently caress, MLB tv is doing the weird camera poo poo again for the postseason. Do I need an international proxy, or are there any good HD streams?

Smashlampjaw
Aug 16, 2008
Let's go Royals. Thats the only time im gonna say that

Smashlampjaw fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 1, 2014

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Maybe I should go for the Royals since I once drafted Aoki 2 years before he came to mlb.

The Born Approx.
Oct 30, 2011
Primarily watching this game in hopes of seeing Lowtax in the crowd :ohdear:

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

JosefStalinator posted:

gently caress, MLB tv is doing the weird camera poo poo again for the postseason. Do I need an international proxy, or are there any good HD streams?

hi jf, you should international proxy it up. Don't you have a vpn?

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

JosefStalinator posted:

You can use an international proxy or something like unblock-us with MLB.TV. Not sure about any other HD options, but MLB.TV does indeed work.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Born Approx. posted:

Primarily watching this game in hopes of seeing Lowtax in the crowd :ohdear:

He's in the bullpen

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
This could be the last time any of us ever have to hear about the James Shields trade.

Support happiness. Support Oakland.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I think I'm... for the Royals? What is this strange feeling?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

:siren: BIG GAME JAMES :siren:

The Born Approx.
Oct 30, 2011
When the hell did they start with the postseason patches on the hats?

If you don't make it to the world series you don't get a fuckin patch :mad:

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.

Squall posted:

I have no idea who to root for, so

I like Oakland a lot but Go Royals because gently caress The Cardinals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stump collector
May 28, 2007
BIG GAMES

CALL FOR BIG JAMES

GO THE ROYALS B*TCH

• Locked thread