Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/10/1/6880189/tim-kennedy-yoel-romero-full-post-fight-ufc-178-exchange

I love seeing Tim Kennedy upset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Chael is bang on the money when it comes to self-promotion, as usual.

That said, not everyone has the personality or straight up charisma to go out there and do what Chael did and Conor does.

Paul Buentello, for example.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Chael spitting truth on Aldo.

Listening through the MMA hour now and Renzo talking about Kennedy/Romero was pretty funny. He says he's a big Tim Kennedy fan but also says "Duh, I would've done that too. I would've tossed water, towels, whatever to give my guy a break".

It also strikes me that "they've been doing this for 50+ years!" is a bad argument. Like Kennedy expects 50 years of the precedent being "ehhh this is shady and we discourage it best we can but we're not gonna wreck a fight over it" to end just because it happened to make him lose.

Oh, I also didn't see anyone mention here that he accused the UFC cutmen of being in on it too. It was probably him being salty and talking in the heat of the moment but he was at first talking about Romero's cutman leaving too much vaseline on to buy time, then Helwani corrects him and says it was a UFC cutman and asked "Do you think he's in on it too?" as a very obvious set up for Tim to say "Oh, well no I guess not but everything else is still pissing me off"...but he doesn't, he runs with it and says it's shady and unprofessional and it bothers him that the corner, commission and cutman were all doing this to him.

Edit: He also called the situation "tragic" at least 3 times. :rolleyes:

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

fatherdog posted:

Chael Sonnen on Jose Aldo and self promotion -

[url=http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/10/1/6877173/ufc-chael-sonnen-offers-blueprint-for-success-to-jose-aldo-battlegrounds-mma]

I could so easily see Chael start his own management firm.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache
More like the Bay of Rigged, amirite?

mewse
May 2, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Edit: He also called the situation "tragic" at least 3 times. :rolleyes:

I don't believe a man ever has a right to call his own situation "tragic"

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
here is a transcript of chael sonnen telling a fantastic story about how matt lindland is incredibly weird

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Hahahahahahahahaha

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

"I want to talk to this man. Teeeem"

How can he stay mad at Romero and his big puppy dog eyes.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I wonder if Chael was already inundated with offers to do poo poo like this for smaller orgs and refused until Kenny Monday asked...or if no one realized that if you hire Chael as a commentator you're also getting a top class promoter at the same time?

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

I'm not even completely sure Yoel knew what he did was wrong. He probably didn't even know where he was at that point.

Also that was a good article on Chael/Aldo.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Chael said he took care of his UFC money so he may be able to turn down offers that most guys would give their eye teeth for.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Chael is still the best thing about the UFC even after being fired/suspended.

Diddie
Sep 1, 2001

What the heck is going on in here???
Two pantastic Chael articles in a row

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

holy jesus

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

that is outstanding

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Matt Linland is a turd.

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
Matt Lindland is probably my favorite fighter, historic or current. But for irony reasons mostly.

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Conor McGregor would be the best thing to ever happen to Jose Aldo.

outy
Aug 27, 2004

When I was younger, I lived in a run-down Victorian house in Crouch End, London. We had a terrible mouse problem, and no amount of traps or electronic deterrents made a difference.

As a last resort we laid heavy duty rat poison everywhere, and overnight the mice gobbled it all up. Well, those little fuckers died in the walls and under the floorboards, every inaccessible place in the house was crammed with dead rodents. It was a hot, humid summer and within a few weeks the smell was unbearable. The rancid stench of rotting flesh will stay with me forever.

I've never met Matt Lindland, probably never will. But I'll bet good money that his breath smells worse.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

fatherdog posted:

Chael Sonnen on Jose Aldo and self promotion -

[url=http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2014/10/1/6877173/ufc-chael-sonnen-offers-blueprint-for-success-to-jose-aldo-battlegrounds-mma]
Look at this pure dropped science. Magnificent Shoot Poster Printing. He'll be rehired by the UFC sooner than later.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I still think Aldo beats anyone and everyone at FW, but I also give it 50/50 odds that if he stays at FW for another 3 fights the weight cut gets him in trouble again.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
lindland's brain might just smell as bad as his stink-jaundiced body was infamously reputed to

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Hahahaa, Lindland is literally a maladjusted high school bully.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Fatherdog in your opinion, how does Lindland stack up to Diego and Kurt?

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.
Lindland is a stupid person, and i don't mean like he's a big jock who doesn't like books or w/e, he seems like he can barely function day to day from everything you ever hear about him or see him in.

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

Lindland sounds incredibly autistic heh

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

Lindland is a stupid person, and i don't mean like he's a big jock who doesn't like books or w/e, he seems like he can barely function day to day from everything you ever hear about him or see him in.

Lmao. That Werner Herzog quote about the fiendish stupidity of chickens also applies to Lindland

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Chael owns, sky blue, water wet.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

kensei posted:

Chael owns, sky blue, water wet.

The man not only made American TUF watchable and fun, but loving TUF Brazil: Head and Shoulders edition too. He has magic.

Edit: and reminder that Jon Jones didn't do anything to make you want to watch that season, unless you were interested in how poorly he was going to handle a person on his team losing this time around. At least Wand showed up drunk, brawled and threatened to quit a few times.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 1, 2014

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
valesquez vs werdum is going to be in movie theaters, nice

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Seltzer posted:

I know it's still months away but I was just thinking about how Overeem is gonna win the PSP MMA award for most overhyped/underperformed two years in a row.

I thought about this because I knew Overeem wasn't hyped at all this year and then the answer became obvious to me: it's Renan Barao. He was supposed to be the best fighter in the world after Jones, then he lost to TJ Dillashaw and then a bathtub. He fell from grace so badly he might not even be allowed in the weight class anymore.

Also it looks like Jury vs Cerrone is in the works. Unfortunately Jury's management is angling for a fight in January on either the Jones/Cormier card or Silva/Diaz card, but that's extremely bullshit to me because we all know Donald would fight Jury much sooner than that. Let Cerrone get 5 wins this year so Magny gets nothing, please.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

John Romero posted:

valesquez vs werdum is going to be in movie theaters, nice

Brown Pride and Prejudice - Starring Mr. D'Arcey

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

Bubba Smith posted:

I thought about this because I knew Overeem wasn't hyped at all this year and then the answer became obvious to me: it's Renan Barao. He was supposed to be the best fighter in the world after Jones, then he lost to TJ Dillashaw and then a bathtub.

Also it looks like Jury vs Cerrone is in the works. Unfortunately Jury's management is angling for a fight in January on either the Jones/Cormier card or Silva/Diaz card, but that's extremely bullshit to me because we all know Donald would fight Jury much sooner than that. Let Cerrone get 5 wins this year so Magny gets nothing, please.

Yeah, it's not like Jury needs to recover after he wrangled that unwieldy box into the trash

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
If I would have done my research ahead of posting that, apparently Donald Cerrone already confirmed what I thought.

Sign the bout agreement for December, Jury, Bitch

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
We need that fight soon so we can say Donald Cerrone fought five times in a year and beat two Juries

http://www.mmamania.com/2014/8/10/5989177/courts-find-ufc-lightweight-donald-cerrone-not-guilty-boat-rage-mma

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
gas this thread immediately.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Bubba Smith posted:

I thought about this because I knew Overeem wasn't hyped at all this year and then the answer became obvious to me: it's Renan Barao. He was supposed to be the best fighter in the world after Jones, then he lost to TJ Dillashaw and then a bathtub. He fell from grace so badly he might not even be allowed in the weight class anymore.

One loss after a string of wins/title defenses doesn't make you overhyped imo (being 3rd on the p4p thing was mainly because he had some ridiculous number of wins and Dana wanted to sell people on that division). Overeem (except in the Rothwell fight) managed to win convincingly right up until he got koed in every single bout. Every new fight I kept thinking "ok he's definitely going to beat ______ and get back onto a streak" up to and including Rothwell, and I know I wasn't alone.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Seltzer posted:

(being 3rd on the p4p thing was mainly because he had some ridiculous number of wins and Dana wanted to sell people on that division).

Selling people on the division.. Would you say Dana was trying to "hype" barao???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

mewse posted:

Selling people on the division.. Would you say Dana was trying to "hype" barao???

I would say he was adequately hyped.

• Locked thread