Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

mewse posted:

Selling people on the division.. Would you say Dana was trying to "hype" barao???

Yeah. Barao was hyped to being the best P4P guy in the world, and then he lost by one-sided beat down to a total underdog and then embarrassed himself by missing weight.

Like Overeem was in less danger of losing his job this year than Barao was after loving up UFC 177. I don't even know how there's an argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Overeem also spent the entire year prior losing in hilarious ways so no one really gave a poo poo and he rode a noticeably smaller wave of hype from the promotion itself.

mewse
May 2, 2006

If a guys already riding a career decline it's hard to say he's the most overhyped and underperforming fighter. Barao went from #3 p4p to "can he make weight without smashing his head into a tile floor this time?"

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

mewse posted:

"can he make weight without smashing his head into a tile floor this time?"

That was everyone of his fights. Also he was 31-1-1 with 3 title defenses before Dillashaw. Overeem was literally supposed to win every single one his fights that he lost in hilarious fashion, he was -400 or something close vs Rothwell.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Actually I don't believe he missed weight for all of his fights

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
the most overhyped fighters are:
-chris weidman
-frankie edgar
-conor mcgregor

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

mewse posted:

he looked like he was going to actually die at a lot of weigh ins

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I don't know if it's possible to overhype a man who gave us Edgar/Maynard 3

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

mewse posted:

You said he went to "can he make weight". He was always like that.

david carmichael posted:

he looked like he was going to actually die at a lot of weigh ins

Seltzer fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 1, 2014

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

Lindland is a stupid person, and i don't mean like he's a big jock who doesn't like books or w/e, he seems like he can barely function day to day from everything you ever hear about him or see him in.

And to think the guy was the republican nomination for the Oregon house of representatives.

Makes it even funnier than it was at the time.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Uriah Hall wants a rematch with Costa Phillipou before the year is over.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/10/1/6879983/uriah-hall-hoping-for-december-fight-against-costas-philippou

quote:

According to Hall's manager, Audie Attar, the UFC middleweight is hoping to get full medical clearance from doctors this week after breaking his toe during his UFC 175 win over Thiago Santos in July. If all goes to plan, Hall would like to return to the Octagon in December against fellow New Yorker Costas Phillippou.

"That's what he wants," Attar said.

A victory over Philippou would avenge an early career loss. Philippou defeated Hall via majority decision on a Ring of Combat card in Atlantic City back on Feb. 4, 2011.

They go on to say Costa's manager had no comment and hasn't signed on for any fights.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Seltzer posted:

he was -400 or something close vs Rothwell.

Barao is a -800 favorite at the MGM Garden Arena in Las Vegas this Saturday, May 24 going up against T.J. Dillashaw (+500).

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Barao finished Faber earlier this year, which is more impressive than anything Reem has ever done

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

david carmichael posted:

-chris weidman

:lol:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Seltzer posted:

That was everyone of his fights. Also he was 31-1-1 with 3 title defenses before Dillashaw. Overeem was literally supposed to win every single one his fights that he lost in hilarious fashion, he was -400 or something close vs Rothwell.

Had Rothwell not woke up to find a strange man beating him and his arm broken, Overeem woulda won that fight.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Hahaa, getting to the end of the MMA Hour and they're playing Chael Sonnen's backstage interview after he beat Nate Marquardt. He makes a special mention of how he doesn't gently caress around with sports psychology and Tony Robbins poo poo like other people do hahahahhaa.

Edit: In other news I love this Coleman quote about UFC 10 from that MMA fighting article on one night tourney's

quote:

Coleman: I can't speak for anybody else, but I remember after my first fight with Moti Horenstein, I remember coming back and it was one of the coolest things that I had ever done in my life. I just went in and I got an opportunity to beat somebody up without the police coming, and I got my arm raised, and people were applauding for something that normally would get me into a lot of trouble. For me, there was no emotional letdown. It was the complete opposite. I felt like a million bucks.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I can't believe they "fired" Chael over his drug test failures. The amount of revenue lost will never equal the 43 nerds who wouldn't buy a PPV with him on it for moral reasons. 90% of the viewing audience doesn't give a poo poo either way.

All of the champs should have to attend classes with Chael on how to sell a fight the right way. Even though I understand what Chael and Conor are doing, my lizard brain gets excited about the drama and spectacle that they are putting on and makes me a lot more apt to shell out real money to watch them fight.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
gently caress it just read this whole thing, so many fantastic quotes from a bunch of people. Bermudez, Miesha, Coleman, Sonnen, Shields, Tim Kennedy...

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/10/1/6876587/how-to-win-or-lose-a-one-night-mma-tournament-pride-fc-ufc-battlegrounds

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 1, 2014

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!
The barista is fighting Face Shoe on a Brazil card in December. :geno:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

canoshiz posted:

The barista is fighting Face Shoe on a Brazil card in December. :geno:

Dana's disposing of the witnesses.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

he just got repeatedly got lucky against machida. a string of coincidences and nothing more.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

david carmichael posted:

-chris weidman
-frankie edgar

mods

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Basically Weidman never really beat Anderson so I agree.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Novum posted:

You're right. Weidman broke Anderson.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Fatherdog is going to impose the rare murderous permaban and we will have to chip in for his legal fees.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
i would like to point out that frankie only beat gray maynard via a notoriously early stoppage. gray maynard, who knocked himself out with a gentle takedown and has been knocked out by every actual person he's fought since. that's frankie's biggest win of his career

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

david carmichael posted:

i would like to point out that frankie only beat gray maynard via a notoriously early stoppage. gray maynard, who knocked himself out with a gentle takedown and has been knocked out by every actual person he's fought since. that's frankie's biggest win of his career

Beating BJ Penn twice at lightweight (shredding the husk of a human doesn't count) is probably a bigger deal than knocking out Gray Maynard.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

david carmichael posted:

While I am aware of your feelings about BJ, the biggest wins of his career are BJ.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
well then spencer fisher must also be an all time great, because he defeated the notorious caol uno, who is exactly as good as bj penn

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Ty1990 posted:

Conor McGregor would be the best thing to ever happen to Jose Aldo.

Who knows, maybe something really cool happens and he's the Sonnen to his Silva.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
frankie edgar is about as good as gleison tibau, tyson griffin, sam stout, etc. also he should have lost to lithuainian dave.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Novum posted:

My last roommate had this unironic opinion. They exist. In real life.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

david carmichael posted:

well then spencer fisher must also be an all time great, because he defeated the notorious caol uno, who is exactly as good as bj penn

I can't remember; didn't BJ kick the poo poo out of Gomi?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I don't even know what's real anymore. This is the first time I've ever heard anyone call the end of Edgar/Maynard 3 an early stoppage much less a notorious one.

mewse
May 2, 2006

:allears:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Reportedly Griffin couldn't ice skate for his life.

Also Joanne Calderwood is cool and so far has been so well behaved and soft spoken in the TUF house that she's not featured at all besides the last ep where she fought.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I don't even know what's real anymore. This is the first time I've ever heard anyone call the end of Edgar/Maynard 3 an early stoppage much less a notorious one.

He's not being serious, he just doesn't like Frankie "the best" Edgar

mewse
May 2, 2006

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Reportedly Griffin couldn't ice skate for his life.

Also Joanne Calderwood is cool and so far has been so well behaved and soft spoken in the TUF house that she's not featured at all besides the last ep where she fought.

Seriously what does someone have to do to get screen time, whip out their genitals??

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

mewse posted:

Seriously what does someone have to do to get screen time, whip out their genitals??

Again, Poe's law in full effect in the UFC thread today but...Felice Herrig has had a ton of screentime and coincidentally pulled her undies off in the warm up room last episode for a laugh. And I don't mean hotpants, I mean she did this and then they had to blur out her crotch. Siiiiiiigh. And here I was not even a day before that defending her and her right to camwhore it up for promotion.

Edit: Aisling Daly is also not featured like...at all so far. I recall her having one talking head segment about being picked last and then nothing. Maybe they're anti-accent?

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Oct 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

attackmole posted:

Who knows, maybe something really cool happens and he's the Sonnen to his Silva.

He would be the best striker he's fought.

• Locked thread