Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

Wooten posted:

I was once with a girl who went on a diet that involved eating foods that had a gently caress ton of garlic in them. Within a couple days she smelled so bad I couldn't go near her. Eventually I told her that it would be impossible to have sex with her until she quit the diet and she chose my dick over garlic. And I like garlic.

You did not heed my pro tip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark

Lets Pickle posted:

Garlic + Garlic + italian garlic + chopped up garlic. You're Welcome.
you're welcome

Jerry Steinfeld
Dec 25, 2012

satanic splash-back posted:

if someone doesn't like the taste of garlic, their opinions on tastes are bad and should be ignored
yes, but you can also replace that with Onions or Licorice and be right

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

ashpanash posted:

It's more that it's wasteful. Using the press pulverizes the meat of the bulb, exposing far more of the volatile compounds to air, at which point they quickly leech off into the atmosphere instead of staying behind to be released into your food via cooking or into your mouth via biting.

If you have to use a press, try to cover the clove in oil first - the oil should catch most of the volatiles. Then cook that poo poo - don't leave it around unless you like botulism.

brick cow posted:

Short answer: they destroy the flavor, they're a pain in the rear end to clean and you lose about half of the garlic volume. If you like garlic you want to treat it right. Read this : http://www.examiner.com/article/a-garlic-press-is-it-a-good-idea

then go kill yourself

I never realized there was such a fine art to just minicing up garlic. Also really weird how hulk smashing the garlic with the flat side of the knife is some how better then crushing it with a press. I like the press because I suck too much with the knife to cut it small enough, though I might reconsider it now that I have been cutting my garlic flavor short, though, if coating it in oil works I might just go with that instead.

Thanks for the pro garlic tips.

Booties posted:

Because kill yourself.

Nah, poo poo just aint manly. Only one tool in the kitchen, and that took is a sharp knife.

I got a knife set, I should really make more use out of it.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
im pretty offended by bad smells but i never even thought garlic smelled that bad even coming from pores

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
if you use that nasty rear end jarred minced garlic packed in oil just kill yoiurself

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 1, 2014

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Shnag posted:

I suck too much with the knife

Practice, practice, practice. Knife skills are such a good thing to have.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Cream_Filling posted:

if you use that nasty rear end jarred minced garlic packed in oil just kill yoiurself

Welp, guess I have to end my life over my salad dressing choices.

I knew it would come to this, no regrets.

:suicide:

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i started with that stuff in a jar when i was a total cooking scrub, then moved up to a garlic press and then finally a knife. pro tip: you can ease into being a garlic pro

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
buy a quality knife. If you buy the cheap poo poo at WalMart you WILL cut yourself and won't be able to mince garlic properly

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Pro fact: the word "galaxy" comes from "Garlicxy" which is why scientists like garlics so much.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
mince garlic realllllll fine. add some gently crushed rosemary (bout a spring). put in a bowl with olive oil and let it sit a few hours to infuse (or gently heat it for 5 min). put that on some sliced baguette and toast it in the oven. SMD!!!

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
Another fun fact: Garlic rubbed on the feet can be smelled on the breath within an hour.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

don't use jarred minced garlic!!!!!!!!!!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

it's winter so make stews

simmer a bulb of garlic for like fifteen minutes then squeeze the garlic into your stew, this will make the stew taste of garlic

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
One meatloaf, 10 cloves of garlic. Seems reasonable

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I love it when I eat a lot of garlic and then exude garlic smell from my pores over the next day or two.

The flavor that stays with you.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

mango sentinel posted:

I love it when I eat a lot of garlic and then exude garlic smell from my pores over the next day or two.

The flavor that stays with you.

Get a load of this guy who doesnt shower daily

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
some serious content being created itt, i like

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!
Whenever I fry steak I always use a lot of garlic and I slice it thin and when it's done where are little toasty garlic chips all over and know it's gross but I eat the little garlic chips anyway.

I also used to just suck on cloves of garlic all day.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
remove ~50 cloves from skin.
toss with e.v.o.o. and some salt.
place in oven on baking dish (15 min @ 400 deg)
remove.
eat all 50 cloves all by themselves.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Eating a lot of raw garlic will prevent mosquito bites. And probably any kissing you were going to do while camping.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Oh no, they're starting to sprout :ohdear:

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

yes... YES !!

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
The glory is too much :vince:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I will push my way past sick children to get at some garlic naan

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

ashpanash posted:

Practice, practice, practice. Knife skills are such a good thing to have.

My SO works at a fish plant, so she is already good at cutting so she does it most of the time, but I really should focus on doing it better my self.

Bonzo posted:

buy a quality knife. If you buy the cheap poo poo at WalMart you WILL cut yourself and won't be able to mince garlic properly

And apparently use a big rear end knife when doing it, according to that video posted earlier, I usually use a little (paring?) knife for better control.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

what about ginger op

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Shnag posted:

And apparently use a big rear end knife when doing it, according to that video posted earlier, I usually use a little (paring?) knife for better control.

the convention is that the better at cheffing you get the bigger knives you use for everything, regardless of whether or not a smaller knife would make more sense

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

scalded schlong posted:

the convention is that the better at cheffing you get the bigger knives you use for everything, regardless of whether or not a smaller knife would make more sense

*chef unslings buster sword from his back* who among you has the power to stand against my wine reductions

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Shnag posted:

Yes. 1) Get a good Chef's Knife. 2) Keep it sharp by honing it every time you are going to use it (use the honing steel) and get it professionally sharpened every 6 months or so. (The cheap sharpeners will ruin your blade.)

Remember: The easiest way to cut yourself is with a dull knife. Sharp knives cut easily so you don't have to use a lot of force, and therefore you have more control. Dull knives require you to exert more effort and thus give up some control.

And if you're just afraid of cutting yourself like my father is, grab a pair of cheap Kevlar gloves. After some practice you won't need them anymore.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
smaller knives dont actually give you better control for the most part

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Prodigal T-REX posted:

smaller knives dont actually give you better control for the most part

easier to conceal though

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Parallax Scroll posted:

easier to conceal though

Yeah, but if you got a big dick you can hide a big knife too.

ashpanash posted:

Yes. 1) Get a good Chef's Knife. 2) Keep it sharp by honing it every time you are going to use it (use the honing steel) and get it professionally sharpened every 6 months or so. (The cheap sharpeners will ruin your blade.)

Remember: The easiest way to cut yourself is with a dull knife. Sharp knives cut easily so you don't have to use a lot of force, and therefore you have more control. Dull knives require you to exert more effort and thus give up some control.

And if you're just afraid of cutting yourself like my father is, grab a pair of cheap Kevlar gloves. After some practice you won't need them anymore.

Big knife is way better. Got that leverage and weight balance. I recommend getting your knife stone sharpened. Those machines can rough up your blade and never get it as sharp. I forget the order, but I know Japanese Steel should use wet stones and German steel should use dry. Might be the other way around, but if you can do it this way it's a lot better for durability and sharpness.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment
I'm a vampire and this thread triggered me hard.

the culminator
Oct 29, 2012
i add garlic to as much stuff as i possibly can. Its just the best food thing ever.

I mean god garlic bread

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

garlic thread

just put two heads of garlic in a stew everything now smells of garlic including me

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I've eaten a clove of garlic many times, OP. It isn't very exciting. An acidic ting, followed by an immense and lingering bitterness. You need heat to get the most out of it. In lieu of pictures, please google youtube bitter beer face commercials for an average reaction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Slam Cloves, Holy Loaf

• Locked thread