Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Rangpur posted:

An acidic ting, followed by an immense and lingering bitterness

my postcoital state of mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

I had the universe's worst sinus infection and the only thing that worked after like three different courses of antibiotics was raw garlic three times a day

eating it was like thermite but it worked

Now I'm dead but tasty marinated in my own garlicky phlegm!

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"

scalded schlong posted:

the convention is that the better at cheffing you get the bigger knives you use for everything, regardless of whether or not a smaller knife would make more sense

ashpanash posted:

Yes. 1) Get a good Chef's Knife. 2) Keep it sharp by honing it every time you are going to use it (use the honing steel) and get it professionally sharpened every 6 months or so. (The cheap sharpeners will ruin your blade.)

Remember: The easiest way to cut yourself is with a dull knife. Sharp knives cut easily so you don't have to use a lot of force, and therefore you have more control. Dull knives require you to exert more effort and thus give up some control.

And if you're just afraid of cutting yourself like my father is, grab a pair of cheap Kevlar gloves. After some practice you won't need them anymore.

Well poo poo, I never owned a knife I sharpened myself before, and any big knife I have seems to have teeth on it. Sharpening your own knife seems a little over the top if being a cook isn't your actual job, but I suppose it makes sense to have a properly sharpened knife to prepare food with.

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
how to knife:

-buy a decent chef knife, that basically means one with a long tang, and no serations

-sharpen it on a stone sometimes its actually real easy

-only use this knife and use it for everytinh that isnt silverware

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

knives are like cocks - you want one that's long, thick, heavy, and with a minimum of serration

Marta Velasquez
Mar 9, 2013

Good thing I was feeling suicidal this morning...
Fallen Rib

Booties posted:

Yeah, but if you got a big dick you can hide a big knife too.

If you hide your big knife next to your big dick, you will soon find yourself with a little dick.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Prodigal T-REX posted:

how to knife:

-buy a decent chef knife, that basically means one with a long tang, and no serations

This

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If you're ever in Stockholm, London or Palma... go here: http://www.garlicandshots.com

You get some people on TripAdvisor moaning about chunks of garlic in their beer, but they're blatantly wrong. The food and drink is good (I didn't actually get to do a garlic beer, but I did that first shot on the menu which was pretty good).

This is how the garlic bread starter comes:

If you can't work out the scale, it's close to half a loaf of bread in my estimation.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
i like to really thinly slice my garlic. super super super thin. so it melts on the pan. its great.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shnag posted:

Well poo poo, I never owned a knife I sharpened myself before, and any big knife I have seems to have teeth on it. Sharpening your own knife seems a little over the top if being a cook isn't your actual job, but I suppose it makes sense to have a properly sharpened knife to prepare food with.

Basically you only need one serrated knife in your kit not including steak knives, and then only use it for slicing bread, tomatoes, the occasional pineapple, etc

You need straight edge knives for doing any sort of competent slicing, a 6" chefs knife is good for slicing and dicing, save buying a 10-12" one for when you get good.

Santuku knives are also a great alternative to chefs knives, I use my 7" Victorinox for everything because the shape just makes knifing easier for me

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

butplug accident posted:

Get a load of this guy who doesnt shower daily
what kind of a idiot showers daily??

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

To the guy who posted the Jacques Pepin video:

Jacques Pepin fuckin' owns and you fuckin' own by proxy.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Prodigal T-REX posted:

how to knife:

Also don't throw the goddamn thing in a drawer and let it bang around against other poo poo. Put it in a block or hang it from a hook or something.

Yivgev
May 19, 2004

i brought my +1 ak-47

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Also don't throw the goddamn thing in a drawer and let it bang around against other poo poo. Put it in a block or hang it from a hook or something.

im going to store my knives in your torso :twisted:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Yivgev posted:

im going to store my knives in your torso :twisted:

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Tsinava posted:

i like to really thinly slice my garlic. super super super thin. so it melts on the pan. its great.

This is good. My chef buddy told me if you slice with the grain you get a mellower flavor, slicing against the grain makes it spicier

Once I had some bomb rear end garlic bread my buddy's Italian grandmother made, she only used the juice from the garlic and added it to clarified butter for the bread

Free Cheese
Sep 16, 2005
Come on, it's free
Buglord
I was sent to kill the garlich king but I ate him instead and now I'm the garlich king

What are these pies
Jul 22, 2008
i put both roast garlic and raw, crushed, medium dice in some soup i am making.
what pro-tier am i in, huh?

HereComesEverybody
Mar 2, 2007

a commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs.

like i'm desperately trying to ignore my weird kid

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008
When you roast a chicken, put as much garlic, onions, and fresh thyme as you can fit into the cavity then seal it up.

prinneh
Jul 29, 2005
prince of denmark
Alternative spanish garlic bread:

Toast a piece of nice, homebaked bread
Take a clove of garlic, and rub it on the toasted bread until the garlic is gone or severely reduced
Now angrily do the same with half a tomato

eat

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the 10" chef's knife from chicago cutlery or whatever at walmart is a good choice for a general beater kitchen knife until you are ready for like the $300 tier

learn to sharpen and its pretty fuckin good

oh and when you inevitably drop it and whang the tip off, you're out twenty bucks instead of henckels money or whatever

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Parallax Scroll posted:

if you're following a recipe and it calls for garlic, put double what it says and the food will taste better.

This works for basically any seasoning. Most recipes are written for bland rear end suburban housewives.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

i get stomach aches from too much raw garlic

i still eat too much raw garlic

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
Put garlic into minced pork flavor instant noodles. God Tier.

memento mori
May 4, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmC9SmCBUj4

Cook your steak like this and you get lovely bits of fried garlic to eat after it is finished. Throw the steak away.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Started with some shrimp pasta and garlic. Added lemon zest, lemon juice, and garlic. Added white wine and garlic. :hellyeah:

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp
Dead Zone – The most dangerous of Garlic's attacks, which he uses on characters he hates, and not only wants to kill, but who he wants to torture too, such as the op. He is never shown using the attack on-screen, but gay dad said the Dead Zone was created by Garlic.

Al Borland
Oct 29, 2006

by XyloJW

satanic splash-back posted:

if someone doesn't like the taste of garlic, their opinions on tastes are bad and should be ignored

This should be a law.

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

garlic and onion are the best flavors, respectively. they are tied. and they are similar but for different things

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Jonny 290 posted:

the 10" chef's knife from chicago cutlery or whatever at walmart is a good choice for a general beater kitchen knife until you are ready for like the $300 tier

learn to sharpen and its pretty fuckin good

oh and when you inevitably drop it and whang the tip off, you're out twenty bucks instead of henckels money or whatever

best reasonably priced knife:
http://www.swissarmy.com/us/app/product/Cutlery/Category/Chef-s/8-Fibrox-Chef-s-Knife/47520

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
bonus garlic tip: just use garlic powder

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
Went back to cutting garlic with a knife rather then using the garlic press, I admit it tasted better. Also using more garlic over all, I usually used a clove or two for a meal for two people, it seems the pros use a couple entire bulbs without a second thought.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

Shnag posted:

Went back to cutting garlic with a knife rather then using the garlic press, I admit it tasted better. Also using more garlic over all, I usually used a clove or two for a meal for two people, it seems the pros use a couple entire bulbs without a second thought.

a gbs garlic success story

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

sometimes on long vacations when i have nowhere to go ill eat garlic raw. like ill go through a bulb of garlic over a few days, just tearing it up and eating it. is that weird

Faux-Ass Nonsense
Feb 9, 2013

by Lowtax
put a few cloves of garlic into a bottle of olive oil then ..

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Faux-rear end Nonsense posted:

put a few cloves of garlic into a bottle of olive oil then ..

Die of botulism?

Robbie Fowler
May 31, 2011

Chard posted:

I once took a date to a restaurant called the Stinking Rose which is garlic-themed and then we had garlic sex, so I'd have to recommend garlic for that purpose at least.

the one in SF? I've been there, was loving amazing.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
My hands smell like garlic from posting ITT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam

BLARGHLE posted:

My hand seriously smells like garlic, and I'm really not sure why.

That's my garlic tip for the night!

That is a hazard of working with the element Tellurium. Seriously strong garlic smell and garlic breath, lasting for an extended period. I'm talking up to several years. And so strong that some people with Tellurium breath have ended up killing themselves. Do you work around Tellurium?

• Locked thread