Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

"I'll be whatever I wanna do!"
I know a goon is probably going to tell me to kill myself, then impatiently wait for me to do so, for asking this, but why is using a garlic press bad? I usually cut the ends of the garlic clove off to remove the skin more easily, then remove the core if its too big. Then I put it in a garlic press and crush it over what ever meat I am using. It makes ground hamburger taste much better, and great on top of any roast.

Is the press bad because its lazy, or does crushing the whole peeled clove suck if you aren't squeezing out the juice before using it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

ashpanash posted:

It's more that it's wasteful. Using the press pulverizes the meat of the bulb, exposing far more of the volatile compounds to air, at which point they quickly leech off into the atmosphere instead of staying behind to be released into your food via cooking or into your mouth via biting.

If you have to use a press, try to cover the clove in oil first - the oil should catch most of the volatiles. Then cook that poo poo - don't leave it around unless you like botulism.

brick cow posted:

Short answer: they destroy the flavor, they're a pain in the rear end to clean and you lose about half of the garlic volume. If you like garlic you want to treat it right. Read this : http://www.examiner.com/article/a-garlic-press-is-it-a-good-idea

then go kill yourself

I never realized there was such a fine art to just minicing up garlic. Also really weird how hulk smashing the garlic with the flat side of the knife is some how better then crushing it with a press. I like the press because I suck too much with the knife to cut it small enough, though I might reconsider it now that I have been cutting my garlic flavor short, though, if coating it in oil works I might just go with that instead.

Thanks for the pro garlic tips.

Booties posted:

Because kill yourself.

Nah, poo poo just aint manly. Only one tool in the kitchen, and that took is a sharp knife.

I got a knife set, I should really make more use out of it.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

ashpanash posted:

Practice, practice, practice. Knife skills are such a good thing to have.

My SO works at a fish plant, so she is already good at cutting so she does it most of the time, but I really should focus on doing it better my self.

Bonzo posted:

buy a quality knife. If you buy the cheap poo poo at WalMart you WILL cut yourself and won't be able to mince garlic properly

And apparently use a big rear end knife when doing it, according to that video posted earlier, I usually use a little (paring?) knife for better control.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

scalded schlong posted:

the convention is that the better at cheffing you get the bigger knives you use for everything, regardless of whether or not a smaller knife would make more sense

ashpanash posted:

Yes. 1) Get a good Chef's Knife. 2) Keep it sharp by honing it every time you are going to use it (use the honing steel) and get it professionally sharpened every 6 months or so. (The cheap sharpeners will ruin your blade.)

Remember: The easiest way to cut yourself is with a dull knife. Sharp knives cut easily so you don't have to use a lot of force, and therefore you have more control. Dull knives require you to exert more effort and thus give up some control.

And if you're just afraid of cutting yourself like my father is, grab a pair of cheap Kevlar gloves. After some practice you won't need them anymore.

Well poo poo, I never owned a knife I sharpened myself before, and any big knife I have seems to have teeth on it. Sharpening your own knife seems a little over the top if being a cook isn't your actual job, but I suppose it makes sense to have a properly sharpened knife to prepare food with.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

Went back to cutting garlic with a knife rather then using the garlic press, I admit it tasted better. Also using more garlic over all, I usually used a clove or two for a meal for two people, it seems the pros use a couple entire bulbs without a second thought.

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

So... whacking the cutting board as hard and fast as you can, with a cleaver (like the swedish chef muppet), sending vegetables flying all over the place, is the incorrect way to prepare vegetables?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shnag
Dec 8, 2010

Is all garlic made equal? I usually get a sleeve of three for like a $1.50, but is there some expensive exotic versions that a plebeian like me could never hope to try? Because its a "if you have to ask you can't afford it" type deal. I pretty sure I saw at least two types of garlic at the local grocery store.

• Locked thread