Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Negative Entropy posted:

It might be that tropes from Blade Runner have become so ingrained and trodden in sci-fi that when younger people come to the source they're bored because they've already seen it before.
The movie should have had Roy as the main protagonist and just get rid of Deckard and Rachael.

I think it's the methodical, if not glacial pace more than anything. I love Blade Runner but I really have to be in a certain mood to be able to watch it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Doflamingo posted:

I think it's the methodical, if not glacial pace more than anything. I love Blade Runner but I really have to be in a certain mood to be able to watch it.

I'd probably want to say it's both. The iconic atmosphere already pretty much evokes cliche that the pace deters a new viewer by making them think that "if they've seen it before, why watch". I had a classmate in a "Gender Tropes In SF" class at college who had given up half way through the film be somewhat surprised at the climax involves Deckard NOT killing Batty and, in fact, has Batty saves Deckard.

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012

Omi-Polari posted:

if you need to explain in wordy scenes that the harkonnens are the bad guys, then you're doing it wrong. the harkonnens should be revealed as the bad guys by having them do bad guy things. instead they just sit around cackling.

The Harkonnens are not the bad guys though.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW
Replicants spotted in the thread. You will be autobanned for your disputing the important anti-replicant messages of "Blade Runner". Your post counts will vanish like tears in the rain. Or more appropriately, like farts in a windstorm.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Paul "Muad'dib" Atreides is history's greatest monster.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

euphronius posted:

Paul "Muad'dib" Atreides is history's greatest monster.

Well his name is a killing word so things must be kinda lovely for him.

"Hey Muad'dib I bought you a sandwic-URGHhhhh"

"Okay class, let's take attendance. Muad'dib? AAAAAArrrrgh gently caress"

"I love you Muad'dib" "I love you too, honey... honey? Honey why aren't you breathing? Oh god someone call an ambulance!"

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
personally i enjoy some things and dislike other things and also respect the fact that other people may dislike whatever idle entertainment ive chosen for the next two hours

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Robo Reagan posted:

personally i enjoy some things and dislike other things and also respect the fact that other people may dislike whatever idle entertainment ive chosen for the next two hours

fucki. gently caress. fuuuuuuuuuuck. gently caress gently caress gently caress. gently caress. you.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

nomadologique posted:

fucki. gently caress. fuuuuuuuuuuck. gently caress gently caress gently caress. gently caress. you.

i respect your opinion as a human being namaste

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

gently caress DO YOU EVEN SPEAK ASANSKRIT gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

well now i seen some LOUD bullshit in my day friend but let me tell you this is some LOUD bullshit

• Locked thread