Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrawndoTQ
Oct 18, 2001

Cubone posted:

aslo, bacon is too salty, Kate upton isn't that hot, the skits in mystery science theater lacked any genuine charm or wit, david cross is an acerbic shrew of a stand-up akin to janeane garofalo with no memorable material, edgar wright's filmography is just ok, Christopher Lloyd turns in hammy distracting performances, superman is better than goku, woodie Allen is innocent of any wrongdoing, dr. Dre's a violent phony and his production is repetitive and unimaginative and undeserving of his legendary status and his rhymes are no better, Kim kardashian is a perfectly lovely woman, family guy and the simpsons are still funny, chris brown should be forgiven, zombies are not overplayed, Napoleon dynamite is still funny, andcaptain crunch cuts the roof of your mouth

I see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

etalian posted:

In prometheus space david bowie spikes a guy's drink with alien population paste.

yeah, its great

fassebender is so amazing in prometheus, especially if you have actually seen david bowie in the man who fell to earth and peter o toole in lawrence of arabia.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

you irl posted:

the correct opinion held by all reasonable, intelligent people is that blade runner has good visuals but is objectively terrible in every other category

Did you fall asleep watching Godfather as well?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i just assumed people who think blade runner is boring are the same people who think jaws is boring and their favorite movie is shawshank redemption or the green mile

BrawndoTQ
Oct 18, 2001

mr.capps posted:

i just assumed people who think blade runner is boring are the same people who think jaws is boring and their favorite movie is shawshank redemption or the green mile

I like all of those :/

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

brizna posted:

I like all of those :/

oh i like shawshank and green mile too, i just don't see how they can be anyone's favorite movie

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

mr.capps posted:

Prometheus is a pop corn flick that a bunch of nerds said was poo poo because they realized the movie had "themes" and good "visuals" and people think a movie has to be serious and realistic when it does that for some stupid reason, and not you know just fun and entertaining.

Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait Don't take the bait

mr.capps posted:

basically cinema sins and movie blogs have ruined film criticism

They were doing this poo poo for decades before the internet was even a thing, don't kid yourself.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
its not bait, prometheus is a good movie

mind the walrus posted:

They were doing this poo poo for decades before the internet was even a thing, don't kid yourself.

everyone is doing it now, not just some people. like the average movie viewer talks about plot holes a lot more than they used to.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
"hmm, this guy enjoyed entertainment that i did not. a clever trap."

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Hell, I remember the fuss about Harrison Ford's 'severe' haircut at the time!

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Phillip K. Dick the author of "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" liked the movie version better and he was incredibly hostile towards the early proposed adaptations of it.

Dick only ever saw a few special effects reels prior to his death, he never actually got to see a completed cut of the film.

Dick claimed to have enjoyed the footage and said it was just as he had imagined. Well, I'm calling bullshit on that. The book's description of Los Angeles in 2019 bears only a tenuous resemblance to Ridley Scott's vision. Dick's LA was dry, choking, poisonously radioactive and more or less abandoned. Scott's version is wet, neon, and seemingly thriving.

An exercise I attempt every time I read DADOES is to try and read it as it is; without allowing anything from the movie to colour it. It's hard (read: impossible) but it's fun to meet the original Rick Deckard - a fumbling bureaucrat with a gun and a deep-seated inferiority complex.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

mr.capps posted:

its not bait, prometheus is a good movie

I want to say you're a regular CineD poster right? You know exactly what you're doing bringing up the debate of whether or not Prometheus was good/bad.

quote:

everyone is doing it now, not just some people. like the average movie viewer talks about plot holes a lot more than they used to.

I guarantee you this is just wishful thinking, unless your definition of "now" is "1996 and onward" because I've been around on the internet at least that long and "everymen" picking apart movies for supposed plot holes was around even then.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

mind the walrus posted:

I want to say you're a regular CineD poster right? You know exactly what you're doing bringing up the debate of whether or not Prometheus was good/bad.

no, i just regularly post in the godzilla and the posters thread.

mind the walrus posted:

I guarantee you this is just wishful thinking, unless your definition of "now" is "1996 and onward" because I've been around on the internet at least that long and "everymen" picking apart movies for supposed plot holes was around even then.

I am not talking about the internet. i mean having actual conversationalists with people in real life who ten years ago wouldn't be picking apart movies for plot holes and crap like that.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

mind the walrus posted:

Anyone with half a brain can admit that Blade Runner is boring as gently caress and has massive--almost movie-breaking--flaws, but gently caress it the visuals are 11/10 and the world design is still being echoed unironically in sci-fi projects today. Only bottom-tier cinephiles aren't aware of this.

thread should have been over at this.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
lets change the thread topic to aliens vs blade runner

i say aliens, just because i love bill paxton's performance so much

meanelvis
Sep 29, 2001
LEAVE ME ALONE!
blade runner just because it has a lack of sigourney weaver. and that's a good thing.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."
wow you dont like popular thing, youre so cool and edgy

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

blade runner had cool music and i actually remember what happened in it unlike that dumb boring book it was based on

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

aliens

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

mind the walrus posted:

Anyone with half a brain can admit that Blade Runner is boring as gently caress and has massive--almost movie-breaking--flaws, but gently caress it the visuals are 11/10 and the world design is still being echoed unironically in sci-fi projects today. Only bottom-tier cinephiles aren't aware of this.
Please stop stealing my posts and posting them as your own.

I do prefer the book and between the two I've returned to the book more often but I think they serve as companions to each other and my enjoyment of the book does not diminish my enjoyment of the movie and vice versa even though they are very different experiences and usually when I read the book first it taints my opinion of the movie adaptation.

Also, I picked up the audio version of the book a few years ago read by Scott Brick and it's excellent.

old fat bird
Oct 27, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The Ridley movies, according to this GBS poster- are extremely good

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the book has the awesome assault on the "other" police station section, i dunno how anyone could dislike it

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

brizna posted:

The movie owned go gently caress yourself OP

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
I unironically love the plodding scifi movies of the 1970s & 80s.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Trixie Hardcore posted:

I unironically love the plodding scifi movies of the 1970s & 80s.

Stuff like Logan's Run/Soylent Green owns

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

etalian posted:

Stuff like Logan's Run/Soylent Green owns

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I recently watched Blade Runner for the first time, on the same night that I watched Dark City. Both seemed like good films. Both also seemed like they plodded along in their plots a bit more slowly than was needed. I would not be surprised to discover that this was a trait shared by films of the genre during the period they were made. Thanks to this thread I am going to go watch Legend.

Aquarium Gravel
Oct 21, 2004

I dun shot my dick off
I know someone who said they could have Blade Runner playing on loop on a wall sized screen in their house and love it.

It took me about half a week to come back to that sentence and think "Wait, are you telling me this movie you love also isn't engaging to the point that you could hang it up like modern art and just walk past it while it's doing it's thing?"

So apparently it's gorgeous and glacial and not engaging.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Dynastocles posted:

Yes it looks great / inspired all modern sci-fi / etc, but as a narrative it's gay.

Thin characters, awkward dialogue, scenes that last forever with a miniscule amount of plot progression, no reason for the Deckard / Rachel love story, and a long plodding slog to a third act that lasts all of 20 minutes, finishing up with an anticlimactic chase scene and Edward James Olmos' over-the-top play-acting.

Sucks you were raised in a generation where Michael Bay brings in the big bucks and everyone has the attention span of a goldfish but movies from a couple decades back were generally a lot slower paced as a whole. Just look at the Godfather for gods sakes. The same plot recreated today might clock in at 2 hours if you were lucky.

Drive was the first movie in forever that I felt shirked that trend. Maybe a little too much Ryan Gosling staring though-

Your other criticisms of Bladerunner... Eh, take it or leave it. It's not for everyone. I like it, but I'm biased because Vangelis kicks rear end combined with future imagery.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Nietzschean posted:

I recently watched Blade Runner for the first time, on the same night that I watched Dark City. Both seemed like good films. Both also seemed like they plodded along in their plots a bit more slowly than was needed. I would not be surprised to discover that this was a trait shared by films of the genre during the period they were made. Thanks to this thread I am going to go watch Legend.

There are 16 years between these films but yes these two scifi noir films do share many elements but no scifi in the late 90s was very unlike scifi in the early 80s.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Ironically, Prometheus is the only movie SMG is pretty much completely right about, and yet it still sucks

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Benedick Cuckold posted:

Ironically, Prometheus is the only movie SMG is pretty much completely right about, and yet it still sucks

Sarah Michelle Gellar?

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Sarah Michelle Gellar?

Sub Machine Gun

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
you know i would probably actually listen to people who complain about "lack of plot progression" and "nothing ever happening" in movies if they actually actively championed Back to the Future as the most tightly written movie ever, but nope they can't even do that.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

It's real funny that Ridley Scott's filmography reads like

Alien
Thelma & Louise
Blade Runner

Black Rain
Urr Durr I poo poo Myself, Watch Me Eat It

Prometheus was nothin special but I got at least one good movie's worth of entertainment out of nerds completely losing their loving minds over it, so I guess put that on the not terrible list too

uhh what about gladiator and that movie about the downed vietnam pilot guy, those were good.. what else did he do. but its unfair to say he didnt do anything good after whatever the hell black rain is, sounds like a gay 80's movie.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

you really have to be in a mood to watch blade runner.

the movie is such a vacuum of emotion. this could have been a major theme, like maybe how traces of humanity can exists in such a corporate overpopulated urban sprawl or whatever, but instead the main character is an android, the love interest is an android, the bad guys are androirds and not only in the plot but also in emotion. i dont think the films theme was supposed to be that; the theme was supposed to be more ambigouse, like what is the difference? however under ridleys direction apparently none, humans in 2019 los angeles are automatons performing scenes and dialogue to advance the plot.

would watch again though and frankly most of scotts movies have this vacuum of emotion and like this underlying existential fraud.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i will never forgive ridley scott for not doing that robin hood movie justice

in the original script the hero was the sheriff and he was tracking down a serial killer and was using period appropriate detective skills and poo poo and robin hood was a suspect who didn't do the actual murders but would end up being a really big douchebag. crowe was actually on board for being douchebag robin hood, but then ridley came in and decided "nah we are going to make robin hood the hero"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
that and the gladiator 2 script nick cave wrote about the guy killing everyone in hades and then going after the gods would exist in a perfect world

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

mr.capps posted:

that and the gladiator 2 script nick cave wrote about the guy killing everyone in hades and then going after the gods would exist in a perfect world
Doom: The Movie.

Satan is real. And we have to kill him.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

there's a scene in Noah that has echoes of the idea for one of the Gladiator 2 scripts.

i know it's not ridley scott but Noah really just made me want a different movie about methuselah and more psychedelic biblical visuals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
op, have you ever watched the seventh seal?
you would loving hate that.

• Locked thread