Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Typical Pubbie posted:

What purpose does the Deckard android reveal serve within the context of the story?

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

Bro Dad posted:

i think it was hacked up because orlando bloom was the hot guy in hollywood at the time, so they had to get rid of every scene that doesnt feature him pouting

Normally I'd agree, but I recall the scene where bloom is doing work on his land with the local Muslims and in the director's cut bloom sits under a tree and pouts a lot longer but it adds a significantly more characterization to bloom's character identifying with the local people and it shows he is developing a significant love for the land which adds a lot more pathos to why he defends the city to his last.

Helical Nightmares fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Oct 1, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It's pretty boring and that tears in the rain bullshit is way overrated.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Fun fact: Philip K. Dick hated the movie and demanded that his name be stricken from the credits. He saw the movie as missing the whole point of the book.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
It certainly is a useful litmus test for who can critically analyze and who should be given Thomas the Tank Engine for Christmas.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the movie is about a group of androids pissed off at their gods for not giving them long life spans and trying to deal with the pointlessness of their existence.

deckard is a guy who hunts these robots, but hates his job and doesn't really get the point. he ends the movie deciding hey i am just going to spend time with this robot lady until she dies after running into roy doing his whole "man i wished i would be remember speeched". he then discovers he might be a robot too.

if you don't see how this actually plays into the movie i think you might be tricking me

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

If you don't get c hills from the opening credits of alien then you should probably stop watching scifi movies straight up g

That's scene tricked me into thinking it was gonna be a great movie and not just a bunch of cool set pieces strung together

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

BombiTheZombie posted:

Fun fact: Philip K. Dick hated the movie and demanded that his name be stricken from the credits. He saw the movie as missing the whole point of the book.

this is untrue, philip k dick never saw the whole movie, he died before he got a chance to. he saw a special effects reel and loved it though.

ridley never read the entirity of androids dream of an electric sheep, so it evens out.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
I like the visuals and music in the movie, feels sort of neo-noirish. the story is basically the novel but made poo poo by a poo poo writer that missed almost all of the important points the book had.

im a huge loving nerd

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
speaking of ridley scott this trailer just came out today
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-8YsulfxVI

he sure likes tornados

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
If the movie focuses on the brothers become enemies angle and some insurrection could be pretty good.

Since this is the temporary GBS movie thread, a friend of mine said Edge of Tomorrow is actually worth watching. Confirm/Deny?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
confirm. it really is sci fi war movie groundhog day, tom cruise's character is even a slimeball like bill murray.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

mr.capps posted:

...holy poo poo

You say that like the ending wasn't a sheer coincidence in terms of what transpired in the movie. Gaff could have left a note for Deckard that said "btw you're an android" and it would have carried the exact same weight as the stock footage from Legend that they used for Deckard's dream. It's not brilliant, it's lazy. It's blatantly manipulative, but people eat it up anyway.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I dindt know Prometheus was an Aliens movie so it made no loving sense. I havent seen Alien or Aliens or buttredator or whatever though

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Typical Pubbie posted:

You say that like the ending wasn't a sheer coincidence in terms of what transpired in the movie. Gaff could have left a note for Deckard that said "btw you're an android" and it would have carried the exact same weight as the stock footage from Legend that they used for Deckard's dream. It's not brilliant, it's lazy. It's blatantly manipulative, but people eat it up anyway.

lol

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
i did and gently caress you for not

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

NO HEMAILE IN PAIN, IT IS YOU WHO ARE BEING LAUGH OUT LOUD AT

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

let me enlighten you with my totally original and interesting opinions about very popular movies!!! :twisted:

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
edge of tomorrow is okay. It's not great or anything but on the plus side you get to see Tom Cruise die a hundred times

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Zzulu posted:

edge of tomorrow is okay. It's not great or anything but on the plus side you get to see Tom Cruise die a hundred times

i wanna watch it but nobody would go see it with me at the cinema because of tom cruise being in it

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
Edge of Tomorrow is better than Blade Runner. :smugbert:

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
When I watch Prometheus I like to pretend I'm a dumb-rear end midwestern hick teenager in the 1950's who has just watched one of those cheesy sci-fi b-movies where the creature is basically a cut up carpet with eyeballs glued on, then the second half of the double feature is Prometheus which proceeds to blow the top of my head off, rip out my brain, soak it it ghost pepper sauce then put it back in my head.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Ridley Scott is probably about 1000x smarter and more successful than any goon will ever be which makes it hard to take any criticism itt too seriously.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Ridley Scott's movies are generally good, but I think people start getting deranged when they expect him to poop out something as iconic as Alien every time he sets out to make a movie.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

It's real funny that Ridley Scott's filmography reads like

Alien
Thelma & Louise
Blade Runner

Black Rain
Urr Durr I poo poo Myself, Watch Me Eat It

Prometheus was nothin special but I got at least one good movie's worth of entertainment out of nerds completely losing their loving minds over it, so I guess put that on the not terrible list too

Body of lies and American gangster weren't bad

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

BombiTheZombie posted:

I like the visuals and music in the movie, feels sort of neo-noirish. the story is basically the novel but made poo poo by a poo poo writer that missed almost all of the important points the book had.

im a huge loving nerd

Also a huge loving idiot

but

Typical Pubbie posted:

Not as big as a loving idiot like this guy

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

exquisite tea posted:

Ridley Scott is probably about 1000x smarter and more successful than any goon will ever be which makes it hard to take any criticism itt too seriously.

actually no im smarter and prettier so you should listen to me hth

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
edge of tomorrow is prolly th emost fun movie to come out this year and plus now i have another reason to die i.e. emily blunt will nEVER marry me.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Vhak lord of hate posted:

edge of tomorrow is prolly th emost fun movie to come out this year and plus now i have another reason to die i.e. emily blunt will nEVER marry me.

i dunno cap 2 was really really fun
edge of tomorrow is still fun, but its also kinda dark and beats you up a bit more than cap 2 does

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

A longer and more fun edit of that kinda thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAC-5BQnuXI

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

their lifespans are so short just let them die out in a few years or whatever who cares

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

hemophilia posted:

Ridley Scott's movies are generally good, but I think people start getting deranged when they expect him to poop out something as iconic as Alien every time he sets out to make a movie.

Good movies such as Alien and ?????

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

zoux posted:

Good movies such as Alien and ?????

I've enjoyed just about everything he's done, I've never been able to sit through any version of blade runner though.

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011

Nutsngum posted:

Also a huge loving idiot

but

Not as big as a loving idiot like this guy

lol at these nerds getting mad about how contrived the brilliant twist ending of Blade Runner is. Ford and Hauer both thought the Deckard-as-replicant ending was stupid and made no sense within the context of the narrative. And it didn't, which is why all the hints we get about Deckard being a replicant were tacked on in post-production. Nothing in the dialogue or Deckard's character development or the plot of the movie supports him being a replicant, but oh man did you see how his eyes reflected light in that one scene and they can totally see his MLP dreams wow that's so deep and meaningful and not contrived in any way.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
One thing I dig about Ridley Scott is he's an artist.

He drew the storyboards for Alien.

James Cameron is also an artist for that matter.

Which is pretty sweet since his indepth understanding of how light works lets him plan out really cool shots.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
pubbie must really hate old twilight zone episodes

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
what, the peaceful aliens don't want to serve men, but serve men? how contrived

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

Liking either of those just means you're 15, though, everyone was 15 once

I was 15 when I first saw black hawk down and I thought it was awesome

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Helical Nightmares posted:

If the movie focuses on the brothers become enemies angle and some insurrection could be pretty good.

Since this is the temporary GBS movie thread, a friend of mine said Edge of Tomorrow is actually worth watching. Confirm/Deny?

confirm. I thought Edge of Tomorrow was a lot of fun and a fresh idea. I went into knowing nothing so it was a nice surprise. it has some dumb plot holes as anything time-travelly does. prolly one of the better action movies of 2014 & 2013. X-Men is right behind it as second best action movie of 2014 imo.

(i thought capt 2 sucked and godzilla was meh)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

QuantumNinja posted:

I never watched blade runner all the way through, it was boring as poo poo. Should I try again?

Blade Runner was boring as poo poo like I got the themes of the movie and I even double checked afterwards on Wikipedia to make sure I didn't miss anything but it was still boring as poo poo.

• Locked thread