Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
What about other vehicle-mounted guns (M2? M60?)? The tooltips mention it but is there a way to actually mount them on a vehicle instead of having to use the gunner's ST to hold them?

Also, yes the driver is the best Pilot skill, but it's not true for the gunner. Why yes I would like the wuss with 16% Big Guns to operate it while the 160% gunner is reading a Naked Moose mag. Or is the Big Guns skill completely irrelevant for tank cannons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Pierzak posted:

What about other vehicle-mounted guns (M2? M60?)? The tooltips mention it but is there a way to actually mount them on a vehicle instead of having to use the gunner's ST to hold them?

Also, yes the driver is the best Pilot skill, but it's not true for the gunner. Why yes I would like the wuss with 16% Big Guns to operate it while the 160% gunner is reading a Naked Moose mag. Or is the Big Guns skill completely irrelevant for tank cannons?

...bugs and lack of effort? Tanks is the only one to have a weapon of its own, and it's operated on driver's Big Guns, not the gunners. At least the wiki tells me so.

Mounting guns on vehicles in FOTBoS, oh Pierzak, you kidder, you!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

JcDent posted:

...bugs and lack of effort?
That's what I suspected, but I still had some hope...

quote:

Tanks is the only one to have a weapon of its own, and it's operated on driver's Big Guns, not the gunners. At least the wiki tells me so.
...then I see such things and remember it's FOT we're talking about :doh:

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
For some reason, going prone and entering the vehicles allow the passengers to shoot at the same level of accuracy as they would if they still were prone for some odd reason/bug, which allows you to turn your cars into gunboats pretty much.

It's pretty fun. :getin:

Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012
I've got to ask Microforte (shaking my fist in impotent annoyance): why Humvee? The Fallout universe has its retro-futuristic thing going for it (which is nice), and Microforte seemed to understand it, judging from all those retro car wrecks strewn around... and then, suddenly, Humvee (which in RL was introduced in 1984).

If they needed a vehicle to seat six, why not Gama Goat? It looks unusual enough, and with some makeshift armor it could perform the same role, right? Right?

The Tank is another matter - why Sherman? It's a WW2 design. A better choice, in my humble opinion, would be M60 Patton - it's from the "proper" era, and best of all, it has another small turret on top of its turret! That design is so... fallouty! :D

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Kazeite posted:

I've got to ask Microforte (shaking my fist in impotent annoyance): why Humvee? The Fallout universe has its retro-futuristic thing going for it (which is nice), and Microforte seemed to understand it, judging from all those retro car wrecks strewn around... and then, suddenly, Humvee (which in RL was introduced in 1984).

That's pretty much the tip of the iceberg when it comes to odd anachronisms. Next mission we'll see at least one weapon that is far too new to really be in the FO universe.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Kazeite posted:

If they needed a vehicle to seat six, why not Gama Goat? It looks unusual enough, and with some makeshift armor it could perform the same role, right? Right?

The Tank is another matter - why Sherman? It's a WW2 design. A better choice, in my humble opinion, would be M60 Patton - it's from the "proper" era, and best of all, it has another small turret on top of its turret! That design is so... fallouty! :D

You know the stupid, clunky trucks in FO3? Is it that hard to make something like: a car made out of bubbles and rounded shapes, maybe an MG on top?

As for the tank, I'd nominate M60A2 "Starship". It already has it in the name and it can also fire missiles! Oooh, future!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

JcDent posted:

As for the tank, I'd nominate M60A2 "Starship". It already has it in the name and it can also fire missiles! Oooh, future!

Sheridan or bust. :colbert:

Comedy alternative, the M50 Ontos

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I find the Sheridan to be pretty tank firing an awesomely named missile, and it also reminds me of my favorite sci-fi series. But Ontos isn't strictly a tank, is it?

Post 13: Macomb Part 2: Hubris vs. Bullets

Still boosted up to the eyeballs on drugs. Owen Deathstalker ain't got nothing on Flashman!

You punch people and they break in two in the most comedic fashion. It's a little ridiculous/boring.

Remember how cool it used to be when you shot someone in Fallout and their side exploded? Those were the days.

Let's see if there's any interesting stuff here. Beelining straight to the fridge!

Not pictured: a stupid plucky civvie throwing rocks at the Roidzilla.

I guess you need to keep your rocks refrigerated, I guess.

You're quite bad at picking fights.

9mm AP ammo! It's but a handful, but it will make Mandy happy... or compose another brooding poem.

The Hummer tiptires past the cordon and the squad moves up the street.

Stitch reknits Flashman's flesh back together, and he's ready for another go.

Next stop/ambush: civilians. Nice!

Sticks and stones may break my bones... Oh, wait, that's only in FO3. Eat lead, civilians!

Flashman, not exactly armed for the occasion, will check out the Arbites precinct nearby.

Flashman doesn't want to be dressed in female clothing and wear a chastity belt, so you're wrong there, Mr. Raider. And dead. So are your three friends.

I wonder if these raiders and civvies were in cahoots, and what, if any, their plan was.

Hey, I wasn't that far off about the precinct! It's a court house!

Crime:
Premeditated Murder
Incitement to Crime
Robbery With Violence
Operating A Hamster Without a License

Punishment: Death, effective immediately.

And here's the hand pre-gate switch. On we go!

Man, these are some Witcher (first game) level drugs!

(not pictured: raider taking a few potshot and running away to the north east... Or up screen. I'm confuse, which corner of the minimap is North?)

Ah, a mine!

A... deactivated mine. Interesting!

I guess it's here to warn players with no points in Perception/all points in JUST DRIVE THE drat CAR FORWARD of the minefield

Some rubble I found interesting. Don't judge me.

More mines! Active mines!

And an ambush-like thing. I refuse to call anything that happens in the game an actual ambush.

Flashman deals with the ground part of it the usual way: BY PUNCHING! Meanwhile, the rest of the squad engage in night time shooting, which is basically attrition warfare: the first to run out of ammo loses.

Continuing with the common theme of the mission, I totally miss the chest.

Stitch, to the rescue!

By the way, the raider that looks like he's supposed to be on street level? He's on the second floor. Took me some time to figure it out.

Prescient words, there.

It's just another rooftop raider. This game...

As you might infer from this, Flashman had to run half a block to get to this place.

Oh poo poo, these guys ran out of ammo! They're dangerous now! :stare:

HEEELP! :stonk:

Not pictured: Stitch killing two dogs with one shotgun blast.

By the time he got there, Flashman no only woke up from unconsciousness (while being kicked all the time), but managed to kill all of the assailants. While blind.

(with Int 4 for from drugs, he's blind AND stupid, see!)

Time to break out the Doctor Bag and scotch tape the eyes in.

Further down the road: a half hearter ambush (that did not react to Flashman, nor Stitch wizzing by) and...

...some more civvies!

(The Building on the right has the stair that you need to use to reach the place where Flashman was knocked out. It's a helluva long way to go)

Some more ammo is wasted to remove the mines. This game features misses on 64%-80% as often as Steel Panthers does hits at <10%.

Flashman running to negotiate the next ambush!

Civvies, civvies exploding in fountains of viscera everywhere!

And there's raiders!

There was a guy upstairs, too, who didn't ever bother to stand to receive his daily dose of punching.

I really hate making punching as some sort of running gag, but Flashman is a one trick pony at this point, and the rest of the couldn't even shoot themselves in the dark.

We're still on our magic carpet ride.

Oooh, another ambush!

Four or five raiders on the screen, no sweat! Rifts players WISH they could play a juicer as fine as Flashman... but it probably took me less time to do a thirteen post LP than it takes to roll one in Rifts.

Getting nostalgic, we lead some of them back a ways back.

Remember the five-minutes-ago when Flashman disemboweled two dudes here? Good times!

There was an RPG attack involved in all this, bus Flashman is unfazed.

Just apply your face to the power first already!

I wish that AI in games had some sort of threat evaluation and self preservation. Then I wouldn't have to smush these guys.

OH poo poo, unarmed people!

It's more than likely that you family has already been beaten into bloody pulp.

Fixiiiing the pointman...

I wonder what happened here? This doesn't look like a nuclear explosion.

The last un-punched civvie. Were this Project Reality, I'd just shotgun you into submission and cuff you.

This isn't Project Reality, tho.

Likely the most boring part of the level (besides from looting):

Punching leftover raiders.

By the way, I lied:

I removed the mines only now.

I also ALT+L'd once because people ran onto mines. As expected, Flashman at full health can walk away from it

The last raider is dead! :toot:

Oh gently caress, now I have to loot everything.

Flashman was so good at punching people, several of the squad members leveled-up.

Well, only Goth Chick and Fender Bender, but still.

(sorry)

Let's see what these poor assholes had.

Drugs? YOU SHITS! After Burner costs a fortune! If you junkies had sold it (and dynamite) you could have bought food or maybe entry into a less lovely town! You loving bunch of junkies!

TOOT TOOT!

Get out of the way, Rebecca!

Oh poo poo, a barricade that the car can't crash through!

Some expert driving later...

...I realize that RPG raider is unaccounted for! EAT FIST!

THAT MOVIE SUCKED AND YOU KNOW IT!

Dragging around RPGs is a drag.

What happens to the baricade when you destroy it? It explodes. What's the surefire way to destroy them without wasting ammo? Punching.

Luckily for us, Flashman is so high, he could take on Tony Montana.

Then we google remember some poo poo.

No, I didn't go all the way to the librarian dude and only then found out where the glasses are.

They're... spectacular.

We trade the for the book.

With jokes like these... Remember, kids: reading can be bad for you.

Finally out of this slog!

The librarian and his jokes will likely net him a bullet between the eyes.

Seeing how long and boring this mission was, I'm surprised that I don't remember it at all. Maybe it's Preoria's fault.

Next Time: Bunker Beta: Junkies Trading Stuff

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I feel alone and unloved, much like a furry.

Post 14: Bunker Beta: Junkies Trading Stuff

This seems little crazier than any Market I've been to. But only a little.

They also sell extremely overpriced reference armor that you couldn't use, ever.

I do spend some RP's on Needler ammo, because... uh... well... I'm sure I had a reason.

I also buy ghoul armor, just in case Flashman finds an anorexic girlfriend we hire any Ghouls.

Crazy people, I tell ya.

CRAZIER people. I don't want to meet them.

Ah, bunker sweet bunker. TIME TO SELL STUFF!

But first, we transfer some stuff to the Hummer. You have to be inside to do it, so I assume it has a spatial anomaly inside the glovebox.

Even suffering from th' shakes, Flashman could still beat up any man, up and including your dad.

We also do some leveling up. Contrary to what the screen is showing, it's Ice that gets Awareness.

Much like Stitch getting Educated. I wish could claim that I chose to wring some comments out of you all, but the matter of the fact is that I went with after considering Heave Ho! for a while.

Stein is growing up to be a heavy gunner, someday.

We go to sell some rocks and stuff. And here I though all rocks were made by Granite Inc.

Naturally, trading happens by placing Flashman next to the requisition officer, then offloading everything I don't need on him. It's a wonder that he isn't crushed by the weight of all the guns.

Among other things, we sell enough grenades to simulate WWI for a day or two.

However, the Brotherhood doesn't seem to be appreciative of my business, so I break out my trump card.

TEN BITS OF AFTER BURNER GUM! They're worth whooping 5000 scrip, and serves as another proof that people of Macomb were a bunch of stupid greedy junkies.

There's that unpleasant gum chewing sensation.

I load up on stuff needed for my... "special" plan.

I also press "Done" once and punch the table

Offloading some stuff at the Humwee...

Visiting Celsius to get some more Flashman fixer-uppers...

And this is my cunning secret plans: to run Preoria with expendable grunts!

We have Keith, the hippie twin brother of Flashman who's there for his bulk, Stumpy. who's bulky, shooty, stabby and just a few IQ points shy of being offended by his nickname, Sharon, who is not going to like this at all, and Beth, as expendable as they come.

Saddle up, motherfuckers, it's going to be a bumpy a ride!

Especially since Beth is driving.

AAAH, BUGS!

AH, BEASTLORDS WITH lovely LOOT!

Now that's something more to my liking: playing Carmageddon with the civvies.

Civvies are surprisingly tough, so the squad moves on.

TO CHASE SOME OTHER CIVVIES

YOUR PIMP SUIT WON'T SAVE YOU NOW!

(but his legs did!)

Scorp on Scorp violence!

Finally wandering in the desert for 8 days, we get to Preoria, in daylight, no less.

Something something batteries something something tribals, got it.

Well, this looks promising... no, bleak. This looks bleak. The entire level "upstairs" is large, gray and bleak.

GAH!

Poisonous things! Beat them to death!

Powerfist 4 : Chitin 0.

Also, Goddamn poisoning.

And, of course, scorpions don't carry anything, because why would they?

Hey, a dead raider! How fortuitous!

Awww, he's carrying stuff!

Chevron the Elder took over after Enron The Elder took a plunge off a cliff.

Bad smell: the greatest problem that shades, spirits, phantasms and wraiths cause.

That's nice, I'm just going to loot your poo poo now.

Do you have friends in metaphysical places?

This one is going full tribal on us.

A scorpion is impotently clickety-clacking at us. I wonder how these villagers live with that.

Dhal here, despite the character portrait, isn't a lady shaman, though could really pass for one.

I wonder if it's because of all the inbreeding! God-drat tribals...

Oh, and the pebbles he gives us?

Rad-X, the essential pill for going to Chernobyl/anywhere in the Wasteland!

Ah yes, "vomit fever". It's the second game within a month which has people failing to identify radiation poisoning.

Unlike JULIA: Among The Stars, these guys have a better reason for it.

Stitch is called up to deal with the scorps.

Meanwhile, Flashman goes to look around the village and maybe steal poo poo.

While in this hut, a scorp attack sound is heard, and every tribal rushes in to kick some invisible rear end. Nothing much happens.

Huh.

Stitch climbs to the, uh, mesa, and finds more dead raiders.

YAY, stuff!

Tribals who keep talking about how peaceful and peace-loving, and happy they are, mysterious wells that are identified as "turrets".

Naaah, don't see any foreshadowing here!

Next Time: Preoria Part 1: The Pit Of Mud Wrestling Super Models

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

quote:

Naturally, trading happens by placing Flashman next to the requisition officer, then offloading everything I don't need on him. It's a wonder that he isn't crushed by the weight of all the guns.

Yup, that's how I've always done it. Mostly because my character is the one with the most charisma since I picked that as the dump stat for all squad members. It's not like they're gonna need it.

Have fun with getting a lot of poison notification. That only do 1 damage.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

inscrutable horse posted:

Thanks for switching over, JCDent, it really makes a difference when loading the page :)

Yes, thanks for that; it's much better now. :) I was almost going to bring it up again, but I wasn't sure if my earlier post about png vs jpg had been tactfully ignored or just missed (I think I made it just before an update went up).

JcDent posted:

Lucky for us, we immediately run into Knight Uncle (alternative joke: Paladin Used Car Salesman) here, and he scrams, leaving us with the Humwee.

Or a Hummer, if you will. I bet both of those things mean something nasty on Urban Dictionary.

Well "Hummer" is certainly a euphemism, and "Humwee" sounds a little rude too. (It's actually "Humvee" - for High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle (HMMWV).)

But hey, yeah; drivable vehicles - that's interesting. I forgot that that was a thing in this game - though now I remember that one of the guys at MF was going to show me this racing game they'd apparently bodged together in their spare time using the Tactics engine and assets. He had to dig it out from somewhere in the years-old backups though, and couldn't get it working in the end, unfortunately.

Kazeite posted:

I'm not sure that any of the Fallout games are perfectly consistent about this stuff. Maybe Fallout 3 and New Vegas? Fallout 1 and (especially) 2 for example include a ton of weapons from the seventies, eighties and nineties that don't really fit the aesthetic.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Antistar01 posted:

Well "Hummer" is certainly a euphemism, and "Humwee" sounds a little rude too. (It's actually "Humvee" - for High Mobility Multipurpose Wheeled Vehicle (HMMWV).)

But hey, yeah; drivable vehicles - that's interesting. I forgot that that was a thing in this game - though now I remember that one of the guys at MF was going to show me this racing game they'd apparently bodged together in their spare time using the Tactics engine and assets. He had to dig it out from somewhere in the years-old backups though, and couldn't get it working in the end, unfortunately.

I was going to scream in incoherent rage about the insinuation that I might not know what "Humvee" actually means, but then I remembered that I'm more of a "poser fan" than a real expert in military stuff. And I think I know what kinky stuff hummer refers to, but that doesn't really bring any pride.

Racing game on tactics? Well, that's certainly one of the weirder mod projects I've ever heard of.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Ah Yes. Preoria.

Have Fun :D

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Preoria

gently caress Turrets!!!!! gently caress Them All!!!!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Well, update's tomorrow or Monday. I'm sure very few of us a psyched about this mission.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Great, now I'm imagining a giant colony of mutated bats that work like fusion batteries.

Tell me it wouldn't fit.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Well, Anachronox has (merely radioactive) BATTs that you stuff down your shield cells :)

JcDent
May 13, 2013

For a moment there I was afraid that Bandicam hosed up or I hosed up myself and I would have to re-do the mission. :smithicide:

But then it was OK.

Post 15: Preoria Part 1: The Pit Of Mud Wrestling Super Models
Or How I should come up with wittier false chapter titles

Taking a few steps down the stairs... and the level is already poo poo.

There's also a jumpscare scorp waiting just behind the stairs.

Keith is one of those people that find shooting stuff with two barrels of shot at point blank range challenging.

loving hippies

The village pedophile had been left here to hang out.

And then the worst thing happens: a tiny enemy provokes a group of Aggressive stance warriors!

I don't know who caused more damage: the fun size roaches or friendly fire.

Stumpy and Keith are sent to clear out the rooms on the left.

While ladies go to check out stuff on the right.

Flashman and Stitch are making RP bets on who is going to survive.

Hmm, seems to be clear... and in a better shape than my dormitory loundromat...

AAAAH, BUGS!

Not only is this LP causing a gum phobia, it's also getting me paranoid about giant roaches behind my back. gently caress you, Micro Forte! Humanoid enemies are the best video game enemies, NOBODY EVER WANTS TO FIGHT DOGS AND BUGS

The girls are getting on the poison train. It's what all the cool kids are doing.

More of the little shits.

If this was a horror movie, separating like that would be a deadly (but inevitable) move. However, having BoS' friendly fire in mind...

The room contains nothing besides the faint smell of desk jockey misery.

Small roaches pop quite well to shotgun. Plus, it's kind of fluffy: aside from flame(throwe)rs, shotguns are the best weapon to fight bugs and beasties in any medium.

You're poison runnin through my veins

We kill the big fucker - those shits are sturdy - before some smaller roaches spitr...gang up on Keith.

loving hippies

But hey, we get this sweet color coded security card! An artifact of the dark ages of FPS shooters!

Prof. Emerius JcDent will be hosting an discussion on the subject of 'Tunnels vs. Card Hunting: The Hard Choices in FPS Level Design' in a Community collage with you! Price of admission includes one free cup of coffee and signature on your copy of his book "Goth Literature Fresh(wo)men: Why They're Wrong For Not Putting Out"

We also find some antivenom and Psycho! Hooray!

Ooh, an interesting box! Wonder what's in it!

...Nuka Cola. This whole room is a loving kitchen. There's a 200 year old sandwich in the fridge that's making spooky sounds.

We'll now be ignoring the gym in favor of the living area. I prefer to face radioactive shitter instead of possible FEV mutated canibal roidheads.

MORE ROACHES! AAAGH!

Seriously, the big ones are a bitch to kill.

Eat soviet power, bugs!

A picture of an eagle... three different flags... I don't know, this guy still seems like he could have been a limp wristed commie pinko. I mean, look at the color codes lockers and doors!

I also want my office to be across the halfway from sleeping quarters of everyone in the base.

And yes, the BLUE lockers contain Fusion Bats, because that's a logical place for them to be, and naturally they would have painted the lockers blue (and not just because they couldn't be arsed to come up with interesting holding containers)

More of the little shits!

Giant roaches: now come in green! :gonk:

Come to think of it, :gonk: is both my favorite smiley and a good reaction to this mission.

After some baiting and flanking shenanigans, all the roaches are dead. I'm not happy, not happy at all.

I also find this thing. Not to say that thrown metal balls aren't dead, but spiky bits definitely add to the effect. On the other hand, they might also be bad for aerodynamics...

Ah, who cares. I already contributed to a Facebook discussion on ludicrousness of giant mecha by basically stating "giant robots are sweet, shut the hell up", not going to argue giant spiky balls of death.

Liquefied tribals and Vault 0 citizens? That can't be good.

Also, how did they get here through all the BUGS?

That's only vaguely ominous.

At this point I mixed up this turret section with THE turret section. Thus Becky is left behind while the rest rushes past the turrets

Laser turrets: dangerous if you're a tribal or some other shmuck. He who dares (to run at laser turrets) wins.

Unfortunately, in bustle to clear the initial bug onslaught, Sharon stepped a little too close to the open door at got melted by the turrets. RIP Sharon.

The guys step up their bug cleaning/scorpion scar collecting efforts.

Flashman rushes past the turret (it's on the grey rectangle) which just whirs dumbfounded and sinks back into its hole, clearly impressed by such audacity.

Time to ignore the medical stuff on the table like a chump loot some stuff!

The classic vault terminal on the wall open the door to the operating area.

Nuka Cola(s), a key card... what's this?

Three stimpacks bundled together and strapped to a pump to turbo inject that poo poo? Sounds potentially dangerous.

Eh, we need the health anyways and Stitch is no mood to charge past the turret.

Nothing to punch (Flashman is, of course, the master of one-punching small roaches) but a table explodes in his face.

Well what do you know, actual trapped stuff.

As with most secure containers and boxes in BoS, it holds failure and shattered hopes.

And improved leather armor, which is supposed to be a new BoS design that has no reason to be here. Thanks, MF!

The brave soldiers run past the turret and engage one of the bigger bugs.

Meanwhile, Flashman defiantly charges down a corridor towards a laser turret to check out a locker. Gee, it's like the turret placement was planned as some obtuse challenge instead of an actual, genuine security plan!

The locker contains the gun I used in Vietnam!

gently caress youuuu, turret!

Remember basic training, how they taught you to draw out and ambush the enemy?

Yeah, that poo poo doesn't work on stuff bigger than lil' roach.

Jump in, shoot, jump out, regret that there's no way to skip the mission.

Everything's dead? Good! Time to patch up.

Seriously, this mission is just burning through med supplies. Might be even faster than with Flashman's CHAAARGE!

Or I'm just getting worse as I play.

Flashman gets shot (twice) to turn on some switch which... turns on the lights? Don't know, don't care, first part over.

Next time: Preoria Part 2: :gonk:

JcDent fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 10, 2014

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

JcDent posted:

Flashman gets shot (twice) to turn on some switch which... turns on the lights? Don't know, don't care, first part over.

No that switch opens the door to the next section. The fun section. :suicide:

This was how I dealt with them in this case.

Of course that forward position in the first corridor was neigh useless because it required you to stand up to be able to shoot but at the same time it did work wonders as a distraction.
The second was pretty much a turkey shoot as that turret never managed hit anyone in comparison to the others.
The one in the power room I just left behind because why not.
Also behold and see how much damage my team did to those turrets. :v:

Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012
Wasn't there some trick for running past active turrets in turn mode or whatever? Or maybe it was for stealing their ammo supply?..

I don't remember - it's been awhile since I've played this game :D

(Now, one can argue that this is why it would be actually fun to be immortal - once you see and experience everything, you can go and experience it again, because along the way you've actually forgotten most of the things :) )

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest

JcDent posted:

I also find this thing. Not to say that thrown metal balls aren't dead, but spiky bits definitely add to the effect. On the other hand, they might also be bad for aerodynamics...

That Fantasy Ball seems to be a reference to the Phantasm movies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g3YXXrlY5A

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

Also behold and see how much damage my team did to those turrets. :v:

Speaking about damaging turrets... tune in next time!

Also, how is your squad of vixens and redshirts (if they USN Marines, they're all redshirts) holding up?

Kazeite posted:

(Now, one can argue that this is why it would be actually fun to be immortal - once you see and experience everything, you can go and experience it again, because along the way you've actually forgotten most of the things :) )

The trick, at least for the outer ones, is to feed them drugs till they overdose. The costs of such tactics is INSANE, considering that After Burner is worth its weight in unobtanium
Also, a Lithuanian sci-fi/fantasy forum I used to go did have a discussion about immortality. Surprisingly many people are willing to die "because it would get boring otherwise".

Alpha3KV posted:

Holy poo poo, it is! Also, that blood funnel.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Alpha3KV posted:

Boy!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

JcDent posted:

Also, how is your squad of vixens and redshirts (if they USN Marines, they're all redshirts) holding up?

Just fine, reached the next mission after Preoria a while ago but haven't gotten around playing that yet. Should probably do that at some point.

Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012
Oh! Oh! I just remembered - along with overdosing turrets, the "engine exploit" trick is to switch to turn mode, have one of the characters press the switch, run forward with the other chars, then turn the switch off. Next turn, rinse and repeat :)

Or, you can just run right next to the turrets on the surface and PUNCH THEM IN THE FACE! Turrets accuracy is worse on short ranges, so you're quite safe when you're standing next to them. And if someone gets hit, well, that's what Stitch is for :D

Or, you can take cover behind boxes and have your snipers take pop-up shots in turn mode - the turrets can't do reaction shots, so they're not gonna shoot back.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Why is everyone proposing ways to deal with the turrets when JcDent has clearly found the best one: ritualistic blood sacrifices of useless people?

Kazeite
Dec 27, 2012
I don't know about that, man. If you're talking about the tribals on the surface, the way I figure, the new Brotherhood, the inclusive one, has the right idea - expand or die. You can't just sit cooped up in bunkers on a pile of pre-war technology, doing nothing. The NCR-Brotherhood war has proven that superior tech can only get you so far - you also need raw numbers to wage a war against anybody.

All those "useless" tribals? Some of Midwestern Brotherhood recruits are former tribals. They might be beneath the notice of the "enlightened" and "educated" man right now, but given proper training, some of them might prove useful in the future. Getting them killed now is just... wasteful. Survival of the fittest and all that, sure, but it's the groups, not individuals, that survive the best.

(The same applies to supposedly expendable members from the squad, if that's what you meant)

And that's just the pragmatic reason. The compassionate reason is, well, you're supposed to be the good guys here, aren't ya? :)

And of course, there's the gameplay reason: keeping tribals alive nets you a reward at the end :D

Kazeite fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 12, 2014

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I wrote the whole LP yesterday and what do I find today? Spoilers! Accusations! The Irish!

FoolyCharged posted:

Why is everyone proposing ways to deal with the turrets when JcDent has clearly found the best one: ritualistic blood sacrifices of useless people?

As you will see in the LP, the answer is to use the same tactic that served in the Alien levels of Colonial Marines: run

Post 16: Preoria Part 2: :gonk:

Having destroyed some more scorpions and flipped a random switch, the troops marched on.

By that I mean Keith and Stumpy were sent to clean the next room while Flashman was aiming to swipe rotten food off the garbage container (situated in a very uncomfortable spot for removal of garbage)

Keith runs to the super special awesome markings locker... only to miss a scorp the size of mastiff. Happens to everyone, right?

The Shotgun! It does nothing when you're so incompetent!

I wish there was some way to implement skills into games without such things as damage reduction. Unlike sword, a bullet is as deadly when fired by an infant as by a veteran warrior.

Flashman bags another platter of rotten meat and maggots. A question remains: why?!

The Blue Locker contain "Fushyon bat" and antivenom for a team so incompetent that three of them got poisoned by the scorpion (ours didn't, but you can bet that someone's did)

Becky Beth decides to brave the turrets.

But first, let's swipe these off a puddle that used to be a Vault 0 dweller.

Turrets can't touch you if you run at a mild job!

And to the right: Sharon puddle, .jpg artefacts.

Beth, you do the honors.

That's a stupid syst... OH poo poo, LEG IT!

Running past turrets later... bugs! A poo poo ton of bugs!

And more inviting radioactive places ahead.

Ah, a small bug!

As we get ambushed by scorps, Keith finally succumbs to poison.

Flashman half-way forms a tear before remembering what a horribel peace loving, non-pugilist, shotgun mishandling fool Keith was, and the tiny drop of water boils away from RAGE.

Continuing forward, Flashman probably (I forget) uses some Psycho and goes to punch a turret.

The turret seems to be entirely incapable of hitting something at point blank range, so it takes all the punches.

For about five minutes or so.

As you can see in the left lower corner, the last hit scored 11 damage. It was usually closer to 2.

It also has a poo poo ton of power cells.

Micro Fusion Cells, to be precise, each one of them supposedly a self sufficient power generator. However, that's either 700 power generators that get used up every time you fire a gun, or a micro fusion cell with ~700 charges. However, the last part is unlikely, since I could, if wanted, spread the 700 cells around everywhere I go.

It's this kind of nitpicking that leads one to not having anymore.

More dead bugs, and the squad explores a locker.

Well, hello there!

M-14...is also like the gun I used in Vietnam? I don't know, but it's a little out of place in the year 20XX and laser turrets. Still, free guns and ammo!

The squad breaches another room and spot/hear/smell one of the teeny tiny giant roaches.

In the process of fighting teeny tiny giant roaches, Stumpy runs out of ammo and switches the AK for the M-14. It's not a favorable change.

Also, I understand why I was swimming in ammo before this point: Flashman was the most effective of all killing machines.

I also like to possition classes deep inside supply complexes and near loading areas that offer no way to transport cargo bigger than a regular cardboard box.

Food, yay!

Actually, Beth used some food, including the meat pie, to heal up earlier. Meat pies are like stimpacks, apparently.

Stumpy apparently has 112% in traps and disarms them.

Inside we find a trap manual.

Ha-ha?

This kennel/the sole entrance to the loading area has busted dog/roach cages and clipping issues. The next room has only large roaches.

Flashman prepares the rocket launcher while Stitch and Stumpy prepare baiting tactics.

One down, more to go.

Something seems to be missing, tho.

Well, not that. EEEEK!

Cockroaches: can survive nuclear war, but not fans of doors... or The Doors, come to think of it.

Leaking Mountain Dew, the last roach scurries into a corner to teleport away.

Well, I think that's what he's trying to do.

My previous dorm used to have one roach that I would chase into a corner where it would disappear into thin air.

loving roaches, man.

There's the fucker!

Also AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!!1!

:gonk:

Except that it never moves, and Flashman has to get into splash damage distance to have more than 10% accuracy (Pe 3, bitches :smith:), so the squad bursts the fucker with small arms.

No more roaches (and only one more BDSM-gone-bad victim) near the locker! You know what time it is!

It's extremely underwhelming "mission done, go back to base" message time! :toot:

The Roachzilla has nothing, because none of the bugs have loot, because bugs and other ankle biter non humanoids are lovely enemies that are never fun

Well, we still have some more exploration to do which entails...

...killing some more bugs!

And stealing some poo poo from... the communal swinger room? I have no other ideas that would explain three double wide beds in one room.

That's either a porno mag or some more gun manuals. Either way, not too bad.

Woop woop, turrents ain't got nothing on us.

One bad thing about being (or telling everyone that you are) a game/movie critic is that movies/games become a fight against writers: your guessing abilities/experience against their hack writing.

So, I already knew at least one thing that would be in that locker. Try to guess!

Surprise! A gym locker has steroids!

...I felt a lot happier when it happened than when I wrote that line :(

The squad gets back outside. One tribal got liquefied, but either nobody liked her, or all that breeding has done a number on their perception. Either way, it works for us.

Dahl wants to consult an ancient artefact of scrying.

Oh, those tribals and their superstitions!

Their entirely accurate superstitions, in as far as prophecies are possible in games that let the player choose the ending.

The squad also talks to the chief.

Apparently Flashman laughs at chief's assertion that they'd all get radiation illness. And that's the most personality our character shows in the entire game.

Hey, only one civvie died, cut me some slack, dialogue triggers!

Micro Forte, wants to have their "ha ha, superstitions" cake and eat it with prophecies

Next Time: I Lighten Up A Little While Buying/Selling Stuff

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Guess I should've stuck with the AK47 for a while longer with my Squad Leader instead of switching the M14.

Also I cheesed the Roachzilla encounter so bad by just lining up some of my squad members on one side of the door and then just kept shooting it through the open door until it closed. Repeat until dead. :v:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I didn't even see roachzilla do anything. I just line up a firing squad of AKs on him and killed him in one burst. That was pretty much how I dealt with everyone inside the base really.
I wonder if losing a civilian gets a penalty to your rank up for the mission. The rank up points are usually pretty consistent with what they say on the end mission log so it might not. The main thing that seems to matter is you got the extra energy cell.

Iretep fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Nov 12, 2014

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

Guess I should've stuck with the AK47 for a while longer with my Squad Leader instead of switching the M14.

Also I cheesed the Roachzilla encounter so bad by just lining up some of my squad members on one side of the door and then just kept shooting it through the open door until it closed. Repeat until dead. :v:

Iretep posted:

I didn't even see roachzilla do anything. I just line up a firing squad of AKs on him and killed him in one burst. That was pretty much how I dealt with everyone inside the base really.
I wonder if losing a civilian gets a penalty to your rank prize for the mission. The prizes are usually pretty consistent with what they say on the end mission log so it might not. The main thing that seems to matter is you got the extra energy cell.

Might be it's bugged on Win7/8 or something. As you see in the screens, I had shot almost every roach before finding the bastard, just sitting there, doing nothing, not even spitting. Weird, huh?

As for civvies, if you let the live, you'll get more recruits at the bunker. I don't know yet, cos the game crashed outside Preoria.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Back to writing the LP that's going to get me rich, famous and loved all over!

Oh who am I kidding

Part 17: Bunker Beta: Honest Merchants, Missing Rifles

Ah, mad cows!

And, uh, ancestor worshipers, bust mostly AAAAh, mad cows!

Further on, our group finds some dead citizens... dead green citizens. Stitch does a forensic analysis and determines the cause of death: critical lack of weapons and armor.

Why is it never "horny supermodels" or "abandoned, yet intact stash of German assault rifles"?

Back at the base, Flashman levels up. No, I don't know if it's the best decision, but I really hate counting the optimal route. That's why I'll never be a good Hearts of Iron player.

Flashman just hopes to punch someone's head clean off one day.

We also have some stuff to sell. Unfortunately, nobody wants the Cat's Paw magazine.

Maybe something would change if it was the edition with the letter from Ayn Rand

This would be perfect celebratory meal after Preoria, I think.

When I was a teen and Cherry Cola was introduced back home I tried and it was at best "meh/10". Still better than off-brand cola, tho.

I bet it "tastes like Preoria".

Now, to get a scribe to drink it...

There is only one exciting new thing for sale: metal armor!

FoT:BoS has the classiest looking metal armor of any Fallout gates.

Argue what you want about female boob plates, but male boob plates a la popculture Greece are the poo poo.

Flashman nabs it for himself, disrobes and puts it on, all without breaking eye contact with the requisition officer. It's a little awkward.

This guy is also hanging out at the requisition. Three guesses as to what he sells.

Surprise, it's drugs!

Well, I'm actually surprised. You'd think he'd actually sell random crap.

Celsius doesn't have what we want (cheap stim packs and first aid kits), but he lets us test out the worth of those batteries.

Holy moly!

I wonder if I can get back and get some of that poo poo...

I get most of the old crew back, except stumpy replaced Rebecca.

Stein gets this M16A1, because if there's one good thing about Homefront, is that it convinced me that M16A4s looked wicked sick and futuristic.

Sadly, this isn't one of them and looks more like an M4 to me.

I also buy some ammo, because poor decisions.

(M16 has better range than AK-47, but worse damage... I think)

Another poor decision was to sell all the weapons I had which were not equipped... which left at least one squaddie without a gun.

Well, Stumpy, I guess you're heading into the next mission empty handed... until we kill someone and get his gun. Shouldn't be too hard.

The real kicker is that small power cells are at a premium, so the next mission will see the come back of pneumatic fist. And here Flashman got comfortable with hitting WITH THE FUTURE!

Paladins: still being smartasses!

General! Just wanted to show off my swanky new armor. Is it not beautiful in red?

Save the mayor and maybe the town she's mayoring. Gonna try and do that!

Hey Stitch, you have 27% in Repair! Get the wheels fixed up!

Nope.

Nu-uh.

Could have at least tried not breaking the tools! :argh:

No one ever wished to encounter wasps, no one!

OH JESUS :gonk:

Ice's 90% outdoorsmanship is powerless against a game who wants you to fight fights you have no interest in fighting.

Look at those health points. I feel that Bonus HtH getting more worthless by the second

Hey, daylight! Yeah, this isn't very good for a person who punches armed people for a living, but doing everything at night is getting on my nerves.

She also says something about the mayor being more than a friend.

I'm holding out for lesbians! :fap:

So, next time: kill people, make sure alarms don't sound, then kill more people. Got it.

Next Time: We Don't Negotiate With Terrorists Or Anyone Else

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

quote:

Stein gets this M16A1, because if there's one good thing about Homefront, is that it convinced me that M16A4s looked wicked sick and futuristic.

Sadly, this isn't one of them and looks more like an M4 to me.

As soon as you remove the carrying handle of either the M16 or M4 they suddenly look really futuristic or at least a lot cooler. Just look at what BF3 did in this case.

Technically the M4 has a telescopic butt stock instead of a rifle one like the M16 has and is a lot shorter as well.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Cooked Auto posted:

As soon as you remove the carrying handle of either the M16 or M4 they suddenly look really futuristic or at least a lot cooler. Just look at what BF3 did in this case.

Technically the M4 has a telescopic butt stock instead of a rifle one like the M16 has and is a lot shorter as well.

True about the carrying handle. Having grown up on Western media and CS, M16 without without carrying handle was a WHOA for a long time.

Then again, most things about the military became WHOA when I learned about them. I guess I can thank War on Terror for that.

Saitorr
Dec 23, 2008

YES THE CARPET MATCHES THE DRAPES IN BOTH COLOR AND LENGTH
I imagine supermodels in the wasteland have been in a lineup and done regional theater. Nobody wants that.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

JcDent posted:

True about the carrying handle. Having grown up on Western media and CS, M16 without without carrying handle was a WHOA for a long time.

I think BF3 or Arma 2 was the first time I saw that myself.
It's kinda like seeing a G36 without the combined scope and handle for the first time or a FAMAS without it I have to say.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Saitorr posted:

I imagine supermodels in the wasteland have been in a lineup and done regional theater. Nobody wants that.

I don't think I get the joke... would they start doing theater or an Olympic size gangbang?

Then again, if Fallout is 50's Future... did they have super models in 50s?

Cooked Auto posted:

I think BF3 or Arma 2 was the first time I saw that myself.
It's kinda like seeing a G36 without the combined scope and handle for the first time or a FAMAS without it I have to say.

That too. FAMAS still looks like space magic.
Talking about space magic, I still remember that Fallout had a regular and an improved G-11. Probably the only real weapon to make it into the game.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

JcDent posted:

Talking about space magic, I still remember that Fallout had a regular and an improved G-11. Probably the only real weapon to make it into the game.

That was Fallout 2 to be precise, the only real-life weapon on FO1 was the .44 Deagle while the rest were pretty much just made up ones. The more real life stuff, such as the FN P90, HnK CAWS and Pancor Jackhammer, started appearing in the second game and onwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saitorr
Dec 23, 2008

YES THE CARPET MATCHES THE DRAPES IN BOTH COLOR AND LENGTH
The hilarious joke is that there's no global media to promote the most beautiful people in the world, so you would end up with the best a small area could offer.

Also yeah there weren't supermodels in the 50s.

• Locked thread