Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
how much did you make for 5 hours of ot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
How the gently caress do you get fined £65 in this day and age when almost all FPN's and PND's are £100. My housemate gave a wheelchair bound elderly lady a £100 fine for not having a seatbelt a couple of days ago and the paperwork for that takes about 20 minutes. Sometimes I wish that Daily Mail readers were allowed to sentence criminals. Actually if UKIP keep kicking the teeth out of British Politics they might just get that. I hope you are looking forward to hanging being re-introduced, thats one of Nige's policies. Also if he get's his way we will probably all be issued with tomahawks and muskets to be used on all the 'muslim paedophiles' that have ruined our country.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

Also if he get's his way we will probably all be issued with tomahawks and muskets to be used on all the 'muslim paedophiles' that have ruined our country.

thats a pretty good idea actually

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
Were cops in the Uk ever armed? If so what kind of gats did they use?

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Might be a hassle to carry around, but its worth it to keep the queens peace.

chartley
Jul 1, 2004

Nessy says get tae

How the gently caress do you get fined £65 in this day and age when almost all FPN's and PND's are £100. My housemate gave a wheelchair bound elderly lady a £100 fine for not having a seatbelt a couple of days ago and the paperwork for that takes about 20 minutes.
20 minutes, for a seatbelt ticket? I can fill one out in about 2 minutes once I've done the insurance, driving license and warrant checks. A few minutes back at the office to finish them and it's ready to go.

Simple tickets are the best!

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

chartley posted:

How much of a nightmare is it to deal with cross border Scottish/English law? Which one has primacy, what court do you send it to?

Let's just say that it would probably be easier to get a European Extradition Warrant than to get BTP Scotland to do anything. We basically either deal with it then and there or write it off. Summons can't be served to Scotland and none of us are taught Scottish law so we have no idea what we're doing when it comes to submitting files and such.

There's been a few times when Scottish offenders have voluntarily travelled back to England to be interviewed but that's very rare. It's actually scary how much of a legal loophole the Scotland / England border is.

How the gently caress do you get fined £65 in this day and age when almost all FPN's and PND's are £100. My housemate gave a wheelchair bound elderly lady a £100 fine for not having a seatbelt a couple of days ago and the paperwork for that takes about 20 minutes. Sometimes I wish that Daily Mail readers were allowed to sentence criminals. Actually if UKIP keep kicking the teeth out of British Politics they might just get that. I hope you are looking forward to hanging being re-introduced, thats one of Nige's policies. Also if he get's his way we will probably all be issued with tomahawks and muskets to be used on all the 'muslim paedophiles' that have ruined our country.

What pisses me off the most is that there's some kind of really dumb logic going on. He was released literally 3 hours before being picked up again by me. He was on bail for battery x2, assault police x2, shoplifting and numerous other things. 5 impending prosecutions. During his stay at custody he was fed and watered, whereas I was left starving for a good 16 hours. He had immediate access to a doctor, something which I've tried to arrange for the past two weeks and been knocked back every time.

What is even worse is that people just say "Well that is how things are".

How is that even a remotely acceptable outcome? I'm going to wait for the official court result to come through and then I'm going to unleash hell the good old fashioned British way. I will be writing a stern letter to the CPS and the Magistrate(s) in question.

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

how much did you make for 5 hours of ot?

About £120ish ($200~)

Branis posted:

Revolvers apparently, before firearm units were established. There'd be a safe full of them in an office somewhere in the station and taken out by an Inspector to give to officers when needed

Hezzy fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Oct 15, 2014

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Branis posted:

I've seen Met police carry MP5s.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
bring back the L1a1

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
hezzy what did you nick the chav for? general hooliganry?

chartley
Jul 1, 2004

Nessy says get tae
Hezzy, that's mad that there's no continuity over the border. I didn't want to criticise your Scottish colleagues but since you're written all those things about them I certainly can't find any fault in it.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

hezzy what did you nick the chav for? general hooliganry?

Travel Fraud - Section 5(3)(A) Regulation of Railways Act 1889. He was released from police custody in Edinburgh and was ejected from a train in Preston a couple of hours later. We know for certain that he travelled on a train from Glasgow to Preston and can prove he was hiding in the toilet for upwards of 45 minutes trying to avoid the ticket inspector. It doesn't take a massive logic leap to figure out that he also jumped the train from Edinburgh. Given enough time we can prove this too but at this point it looks like a lot more hassle than it is worth.

chartley posted:

Hezzy, that's mad that there's no continuity over the border. I didn't want to criticise your Scottish colleagues but since you're written all those things about them I certainly can't find any fault in it.

There are one or two good ones but the general impression I have of them isn't great. I'm not sure how the law works over there and it seems like they possibly use that ignorance against us. Can Scottish officers interview for English offences? Can they arrest + transport people to England to stand before courts?

Generally when we ask them to do something it's usually "We can't do that because of Scottish law"

EDIT:

This is justice; http://whoisincourt.co.uk/lancashire/south-ribble/alan-caley-fined-for-not-paying-train-fare-651/

Hezzy fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 15, 2014

chartley
Jul 1, 2004

Nessy says get tae

Hezzy posted:

There are one or two good ones but the general impression I have of them isn't great. I'm not sure how the law works over there and it seems like they possibly use that ignorance against us. Can Scottish officers interview for English offences? Can they arrest + transport people to England to stand before courts?

Generally when we ask them to do something it's usually "We can't do that because of Scottish law"

We could only arrest with a certain type of warrant being in place I believe. We don't arrest on suspicion either so that'd make it far more confusing.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Hezzy posted:

Travel Fraud - Section 5(3)(A) Regulation of Railways Act 1889. He was released from police custody in Edinburgh and was ejected from a train in Preston a couple of hours later. We know for certain that he travelled on a train from Glasgow to Preston and can prove he was hiding in the toilet for upwards of 45 minutes trying to avoid the ticket inspector. It doesn't take a massive logic leap to figure out that he also jumped the train from Edinburgh. Given enough time we can prove this too but at this point it looks like a lot more hassle than it is worth.

hahaha you wasted 5 hours of your life and 120 of the queens pounds to hassle a rail ridin tramp, youre doing the lords work sir

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost

Hezzy posted:

Speaking of overtime, I arrested a guy the other day just as I was on my way out to get something to eat. Needed to prepare an interview plan, lawyer briefing and then went and did it. Vehemently denies the offence despite evidence piling up against him.

As a result we make enquiries about him to other forces and even get our technology unit to view the CCTV at Glasgow Railway station. By the time I've completed a full file (we can put in abridged files for guilty pleas - because he was having none of it I spent 4+ hours writing the full file) I'm already a few hours into overtime. He's charged and remanded to court in the morning.

I finish 5 hours late on a 10 hour shift, with not having eaten for 16 hours. At all.

Got into work today and found out he was fined £65 ($100~). Which he probably won't pay. Don't know why I bother sometimes, but it feels good to have him lie to my face and then slap him back down with an overwhelming cascade of evidence that knocks all his lies out from under him!

How the gently caress are you supposed to profit off your citizens that way? Some poo poo rear end business planning right there.

<goes back to installing IE8>

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
The Police got Revolvers and Shotguns, after an armed siege in London where they had to call the guards in (Ironically those guys wearing red in the picture a few posts above) to use long rifles to shoot the scumbags the Police were issued with a few Lee Enfield rifles, everything had to be checked out with varying levels of authority and they were never routinely carried. Post war there was an emphasis on not using the Army for civil matters so we started to have trained firearms officers and the Police armories slowly filled up. When my Dad was in he had a revolver (early 90's) but only actually carried it about twice a year, now it's all Glocks and MP5's-7's and for the SFO's (our SWAT) they have Steyr Augs, G3's, an array of sniper rifles, Pump action shotguns and probably a few other bits and pieces that are kept under wraps. The Nuke police have SA80's and Autocannon armed speedboats. I think PSNI probably have some heavy weapons as well.

As for laughing at Hezzy for spending that quantity of time on a fare dodger, if he has a wrap sheet like that and outstanding offenses he really doesn't have a choice. It's just poo poo that BTP are spread so thin and inter force co-operation is so poor that the local CID or intel desks won't assist with the investigations. Also gently caress whatever officers let you spend that long on your own with no food, should have found a special, put £10 in his hand and told him to find you a stotty or something.

MeatForBones
Jul 9, 2012

Branis posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_police_firearms_in_the_United_Kingdom

Seen a lot of the G36c variety in airports. Also met Suffolk armed police who guard Sandringham over Christmas and they had the same, the best thing they had though was a "Bulletproof" clipboard, which was basically a ceramic plate disguised as a clipboard. They didn't explain how that was used.

MOD police have SA80s so they can effectively deal with Greenpeace protesters.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

Also gently caress whatever officers let you spend that long on your own with no food, should have found a special, put £10 in his hand and told him to find you a stotty or something.

There was only me and my colleague in the office and we were both working on the remand file!

Good job nothing else came in...

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

TheMightyZang posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_police_firearms_in_the_United_Kingdom

Seen a lot of the G36c variety in airports. Also met Suffolk armed police who guard Sandringham over Christmas and they had the same, the best thing they had though was a "Bulletproof" clipboard, which was basically a ceramic plate disguised as a clipboard. They didn't explain how that was used.

MOD police have SA80s so they can effectively deal with Greenpeace protesters.

Sandringham is in Norfolk though what are they doing taking Good Suffolk Lads and putting them in the filthy northern inbred wastes??

Also MOD police are currently recruiting so if you want to get your hands on a shooty bang-bang stick and stand around outside one of the UK's glamorous nuclear weapons establishments then you can by filling in this exciting paperwork and mailing it somewhere.

Also if you do apply please remember to correctly fill in the marketing section correctly so it reads:

quote:

To enable us to monitor our public relations and marketing activity, please indicate what prompted you to apply to join the police service.

Website (please state site) forums.somethingawful.com - Oct' 14 Pig Lounge: Bernard McFacknutah translation station - poster: Mahmoud Ahmadinejad

MeatForBones
Jul 9, 2012

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad posted:

Sandringham is in Norfolk though what are they doing taking Good Suffolk Lads and putting them in the filthy northern inbred wastes??

Was probably Norfolk police it's all the same to me, they had a Volvo and there was only two of them and they would not let use shoot each other with tasers.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

The Police got Revolvers and Shotguns, after an armed siege in London where they had to call the guards in (Ironically those guys wearing red in the picture a few posts above) to use long rifles to shoot the scumbags the Police were issued with a few Lee Enfield rifles, everything had to be checked out with varying levels of authority and they were never routinely carried.

Sidney Street or a different one?

Doing it the Chicago Churchill way: "They bring a gun, your bring in fieldpieces." :clint:

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
They all look armed to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmkT8YU4jH8

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Branis posted:

See above, but never routinely.

Remember, the modern police in the UK were founded after a few massacre-ish incidents and the extension of the franchise meant that traditional structures and the army couldn't be entirely relied upon for legitimate law enforcement. Fully armed police was seen as totalitarian (I.e. French) so the police weren't armed. This was never officially codified, but things reacged a peak of around a third of officers being routinely armed during the 1970s.

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug
I'm pretty sure we also pioneered blue as the colour of the police as the British Army at the time wore red?

chartley
Jul 1, 2004

Nessy says get tae

Hezzy posted:

I'm pretty sure we also pioneered blue as the colour of the police as the British Army at the time wore red?

Let's not forget the 'stilito tartan' on many uniforms came from city of Glasgow police. I think the batenburg as seen on vehicles was a British idea too.

Style gurus.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Hezzy posted:

French Army I think were the red uniforms of concern, as they were more notorious for roughing up their own populace for political purposes

A reminder that Robert Peel was done in by that most dastardly of criminal miscreants, the Local Horse

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

Zamboni Apocalypse posted:

Sidney Street or a different one?

Doing it the Chicago Churchill way: "They bring a gun, your bring in fieldpieces." :clint:

Yep, Sidney street. I think it was the Scot's guards at the tower of London how popped over and finished the job.

Hezzy posted:

They still teach you this when you are at Hendon (Met training centre) and this is also why regardless of rank present we aren't allowed to salute and until very recently we weren't allowed to march in public or parade in formation. I was doing a public event recently where there were vice admirals, brigadiers and captains from Navy's all over Europe (the Belgian sea component were there, what a shower of poo poo) and we were told that under no circumstances were we allowed to 'throw a shape' or salute the brass. All this dates back to Robert Peel having to convince a skeptical public that we weren't a paramilitary force or extension of the army after some pretty shameful episodes, like the Peterloo Massacre. For years after it's formation the Metropolitan Police were expressly forbidden from investigating crime, and this only changed after a member of the public got shanked by one of his servants and the Detective Inspector was born.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Made it half way through NoTicketober. So far no self initiated traffic or parking tickets this month. :feelsgood:.

Thesoldier
Aug 15, 2004

Seek not greatness, but instead truth, and you shall find both.
Having a domestic disturbance with your zone partner while investigating a domestic disturbance is the funniest thing.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
idiot of the week: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11167292/Watch-police-home-in-on-man-who-pointed-laser-pen-at-helicopter.html

Torygraph posted:

A police helicopter pilot who was dazzled by a laser pen used thermal imaging cameras to find the culprit from 1,300 feet, single him out from his group of friends and guide police colleagues on the ground to his exact location.

The moment police officers knocked on the door to arrest Christopher Vowles, who was sat in the back garden of a house in Birmingham drinking with friends, was then caught on the helicopter's on-board camera - as was the moment he tried to get rid of the laser pen by throwing it over the fence. The footage was released by police on Thursday after Vowles, a 23 year-old shop worker, was given a suspended sentenced for putting the lives of the helicopter crew at risk.

The National Police Air Service (NPAS) craft was flying over Birmingham, in preparation for a surveillance mission, when Vowles shone the laser pen directly at it several times, disorientating the crew and temporaily blinding the pilot. Once the crew had recovered, they were able to see that the green light was coming from a house in Kitts Green in the city. The video shows that using the on-board thermal imaging cameras, they homed in on the property where they could see a group of men sat in the back garden laughing and drinking.

The group – unaware that the pilot had alerted colleagues on the ground – continued to laugh and joke, even gesturing up at the helicopter and raising their beer bottles in the air towards it to toast their laser prank. The footage shows the men stopped laughing however when 15 minutes later there was a knock at the door. One of them can be seen getting up to answer the door while Vowles is caught throwing the laser pen over a fence when he sees that it is two police officers.

The footage shows the officers going into the back garden where the men put their hands in the air and the pilot – who is watching from above - is able to tell the officer exactly who was shining the light.

“The lad in front of you, not the one with his hands in his pockets, to the left of him, bald head, T-shirt – do you see the one?,” he is heard saying on the video.
“The one with his hands up in the air?” His colleague replies.
“Affirm – he chucked behind you into the corner of the garden,” the pilot replied.

Vowles was sentenced at Birmingham Crown Court to seven months suspended for two years and 250 hours of unpaid work. He was also ordered to pay a £100 victim surcharge and £300 of costs having previously admitted recklessly or negligently acting in a manner likely to endanger an aircraft.

I can't embed the video because the telegraph sucks but helicopters are pretty fuckin sweet.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Just got word they shut down the er at a local hospital and have closed the surrounding entry roads. The er they closed has a special isolation unit not many people know about :ssh:.

YOLEBOLO!

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Untagged posted:

Just got word they shut down the er at a local hospital and have closed the surrounding entry roads. The er they closed has a special isolation unit not many people know about :ssh:.

YOLEBOLO!

Huh. I always thought the end would be nukes :munch:

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

beanieson posted:

Huh. I always thought the end would be nukes :munch:

There's still time

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
I'd rather die in nuclear fire than bleeding out my rear end in a top hat any day of the week

Also i'd much rather do jail time than 250 hours of community service.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

The end is wandering a broken economic wasteland lit only by the burning funeral pyres of millions of dead cattle once the weaponized hoof and mouth disease is unleashed

... Seriously as a world ending disease Ebola has severe limitations

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Like 15% of the world's population is naturally immune to ebola anyway

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Grem posted:

Like 15% of the world's population is naturally immune to ebola anyway

so it'll just be like walking dead or some poo poo? i'm gonna have to most badass beard and get really cut from malnutrition :smugdog:

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

beanieson posted:

so it'll just be like walking dead or some poo poo? i'm gonna have to most badass beard and get really cut from malnutrition :smugdog:

odds are you aint immune sorry

Reign Of Pain
May 1, 2005

Nap Ghost
All of you family people are hosed. Your filthy children are going to go to school, get infected, and then come back and infect the rest of the unit.

Or 1 of those people that get a very deserving beat down might have come from Liberia so wear riot gear 24x7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chartley
Jul 1, 2004

Nessy says get tae

Branis posted:

I'd rather die in nuclear fire than bleeding out my rear end in a top hat any day of the week

Now there is wisdom I can totally agree with.

• Locked thread