Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Boon posted:

We should put this in the first post of every thread:

quote:

Never tell your CoC you're getting out.

These videos have started popping up on reddit, and I enjoy them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l932NTgv8IY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uEgT6dV1tM

Sir Lucius fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Oct 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
How much Motrin are the HMs being directed to give out for Ebola infections?

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

The guy with the boat paddle broom is apparently a BM1.

Also, I am glad I will never have to swab nonskid ever again. What a joke...

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Laranzu posted:

800 mg taken with half a canteen

They aren;t loving around with this one

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Laranzu posted:

I'm at the VA right now for appendicitis, let me ask my tech!

E: 1500MG of Motrin and a 12 hr SIQ chit.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Angry Fish posted:

I'm at the VA right now for appendicitis

R.I.P

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

No no No i'm fine I am fine dont/

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

It would be no great loss I assure you.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Boon posted:

Hey MML, were in the pipeline when they introduced the WTI course or are you familiar with it?

This was lost in the last thread, but yeah I'm familiar with it.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Let's keep the Navy thread bumped up this month. I want to see 30 pages of bitter vet posts.

After surgery work demands I come in and sit here in the staff lounge as they process my convalescent leave.

How many codine pills will it take to make me forget I'm in the Navy?

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
From the No poo poo, & Salt Water Tastes Salty Department, the Navy survey I linked maybe three months ago has its results back, and its all comically bad:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/sep/30/us-navy-sailors-harbor-widespread-distrust-of-seni/

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Saw something that was loving hilarious and put this into perspective a bit better. A second class forgot he even had watch, walked in in the wrong uniform of the day, late, didn't get anything to happen to him. Same duty section, an E-3 shows up 10 minutes late after he called down 25 minutes prior to let them know a procedure would cause him to be late, second class demands an immediate write-up for the kid even though he notified the section leader (a third class). It's amazing how all this just keeps ticking on.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
E-5 is a pretty sweet rank. I was 15 minutes late to a dress blue inspection this morning, but my Chiefs were like, "your uniform looks brand new, very nice." Nope, same one from boot camp (this is the third time I've worn it).

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

ManMythLegend posted:

This was lost in the last thread, but yeah I'm familiar with it.

Ok, so the way I understand it, for an IAMD WTI they select post-FCO billet (2nd tour rolling to shore). Does that require that those individuals sign for Dept Head?

I ask because it seems like a backwards way to do it. For IAMD it seems that they should instead select individuals who have signed already and are slated for a WEPS/CSO billet since that'd guarantee at least 1 and probably 2 IAMD WTI and in the correct billets. The way it's setup now you could have a WEPS or CSO or possibly both who are not IAMD WTI but the OPS is. That makes no sense. :confused:

Boon fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 1, 2014

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Sir Lucius posted:

E-5 is a pretty sweet rank. I was 15 minutes late to a dress blue inspection this morning, but my Chiefs were like, "your uniform looks brand new, very nice." Nope, same one from boot camp (this is the third time I've worn it).

E-5 gets you out of maybe 90% of stores loads on a sub. :toot:

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

I'm a semen, I mean Seaman, I haven't been a semen for 20 years.

Mad Dragon posted:

E-5 gets you out of maybe 90% of stores loads on a sub. :toot:

Only of you're a nuke

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Boon posted:

Ok, so the way I understand it, for an IAMD WTI they select post-FCO billet (2nd tour rolling to shore). Does that require that those individuals sign for Dept Head?

I ask because it seems like a backwards way to do it. For IAMD it seems that they should instead select individuals who have signed already and are slated for a WEPS/CSO billet since that'd guarantee at least 1 and probably 2 IAMD WTI and in the correct billets. The way it's setup now you could have a WEPS or CSO or possibly both who are not IAMD WTI but the OPS is. That makes no sense. :confused:

My understanding is that the IAMD WTI's would be rolling to their second DIVO tour as FCO, not rolling ashore just like the ASW WTI's are rolling to an ASWO billet, however I could be wrong since I'm not an expert in the program and it's been in flux for a while. Also, as far as I know, yes: IAMD WTI requires SWOCP.

Honestly, the whole thing is kind of a big pile of poo poo right now. Big SWO hasn't really figured out how to do this, or what they are even really trying to do anyway. The IAMD WTI in particular is kind of dumb because pumping DIVO's through it still allows for that knowledge to escape the shooter community since there is currently nothing that tags those folks as "CRUDES only" down the line. They should be pumping STO's, ADO's, and WEPS through instead in order to ensure that the right people are getting the training.

I like the theory behind SWO WTI's, but so far I like nothing about the execution at all. To me it seems to be more akin to the abortion that is/was Specialty Career Paths then it does to aviation WTI's

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Angry Fish posted:

From the No poo poo, & Salt Water Tastes Salty Department, the Navy survey I linked maybe three months ago has its results back, and its all comically bad:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/sep/30/us-navy-sailors-harbor-widespread-distrust-of-seni/

lol:

quote:

Cmdr. Christopher Servello, a spokesman for the chief of naval personnel, said: “Not sure we agree with all of the conclusions that were drawn, but we are grateful for the effort done by this group. … Much of the raw data collected matches what we have seen in our own surveys.”

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

It's almost like they're so embarrassed at their own terribleness that they just want to plug their ears with dicks and pretend that the ship isn't sinking.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Angry Fish posted:

It's almost like they're so embarrassed at their own terribleness that they just want to plug their ears with dicks and pretend that the ship isn't sinking.

the coast guard got an overwhelmingly bad response on a similar survey a few years back and the official response was that it was a statistical anomaly

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

ManMythLegend posted:

My understanding is that the IAMD WTI's would be rolling to their second DIVO tour as FCO, not rolling ashore just like the ASW WTI's are rolling to an ASWO billet, however I could be wrong since I'm not an expert in the program and it's been in flux for a while. Also, as far as I know, yes: IAMD WTI requires SWOCP.

Honestly, the whole thing is kind of a big pile of poo poo right now. Big SWO hasn't really figured out how to do this, or what they are even really trying to do anyway. The IAMD WTI in particular is kind of dumb because pumping DIVO's through it still allows for that knowledge to escape the shooter community since there is currently nothing that tags those folks as "CRUDES only" down the line. They should be pumping STO's, ADO's, and WEPS through instead in order to ensure that the right people are getting the training.

I like the theory behind SWO WTI's, but so far I like nothing about the execution at all. To me it seems to be more akin to the abortion that is/was Specialty Career Paths then it does to aviation WTI's

I went through the ASWO WTI pipeline and I think you're on the money that it's a good idea but the execution is flawed. For example, BUPERS won't let NMAWC make the SuASW WTI class a stopper for ASWOs headed to the fleet, so it's perfectly likely that an ASWO could fail WTI and still report as ordered... which makes the whole program seem slightly pointless. Moreover, while the WTI class is really good (without a doubt the best Navy school I've been through) the ASWE courses are still the same old crap we've been shoveling for years, meaning that we waste a month then try to cram too much information into the second month where the WTI course comes into play. Finally, the program seems a little lost on those of us attached to Norfolk ships and deploying to the AG.

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

Well, I told my chain that I applied for a few jobs.... they flipped the gently caress out and now they're hounding me if I am reenlisting or not. They're also trying to get me to reenlist now (and not tax free) so I'm locked in for deployment. So, now, unfortunately IF I manage to get an interview, they likely won't let me take leave to go. Dicks.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Schlabbalabba posted:

Well, I told my chain that I applied for a few jobs.... they flipped the gently caress out and now they're hounding me if I am reenlisting or not. They're also trying to get me to reenlist now (and not tax free) so I'm locked in for deployment. So, now, unfortunately IF I manage to get an interview, they likely won't let me take leave to go. Dicks.

They just love you so much they don't want you to leave. Don't you want to make them happy?!?

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Should have stayed a coner. :shrug:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Schlabbalabba posted:

You hosed up. Really bad.

e: Advice: Let some time pass, tell your CoC that you didn't hear anything back and are starting to get really concerned about your future. Make some sort of soul searching leave that you plan your interviews on like a Vision Quest or something and that you are leaning to taking advantage of shore duty and getting a degree while you are enlisted before you get out. Put it off until the last possible second and then drop your terminal leave chit.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Oct 2, 2014

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

SquirrelyPSU posted:

You hosed up. Really bad.

e: Advice: Let some time pass, tell your CoC that you didn't hear anything back and are starting to get really concerned about your future. Make some sort of soul searching leave that you plan your interviews on like a Vision Quest or something and that you are leaning to taking advantage of shore duty and getting a degree while you are enlisted before you get out. Put it off until the last possible second and then drop your terminal leave chit.

I am on sea duty. I deploy in December and my EAOS is in April...

They're like "You can't just decide to get out in the middle of deployment"

And I was like "LOL"

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

quote:

Cmdr. Christopher Servello, a spokesman for the chief of naval personnel, said: “Not sure we agree with all of the conclusions that were drawn, but we are grateful for the effort done by this group. … Much of the raw data collected matches what we have seen in our own surveys.”

Really? loving seriously? Bro...put the dick down..there are other ways to make O-6.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Schlabbalabba posted:

And I was like "LOL"

If you put in a leave chit for something your direct chain may want to deny, keep strong tabs on it if you don't walk it up yourself. The old man may have designated someone else like the XO or your department head approval authority but he is absolutely the only one who can deny your leave. Put in for it as early as you can.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Schlabbalabba posted:

And I was like "LOL"

That's exactly what half of my division did the last deployment I was on lol.

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

PneumonicBook posted:

That's exactly what half of my division did the last deployment I was on lol.

I'm most likely staying in, but I shouldn't receive the backlash because I am only considering moving on with my life.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Schlabbalabba posted:

I'm most likely staying in, but I shouldn't receive the backlash because I am only considering moving on with my life.

You shouldn't, but you do because your bosses are all a bunch of man-children that can't handle the thought of life without getting deep dicked by the Navy every single day.

Having said that, I was in your shoes, my CoC was a "little" more understanding about wanting to move on, but they still made life tough. For example, I requested, and was denied TAP 3 times because of deployment workups.

I teetered on the edge right up until about 8 weeks before a reenlistment date, I got all my reenlistment paperwork together, did CDB's and all that fun stuff, then when my detailer stuck me with poo poo orders I nope'd the gently caress out of the Navy.

There were a lot of angry people, who made a lot of threats (involuntary extension, etc) BUT!!!!!! There is an instruction that says if you are separating, your command has to make a reasonable effort to have you INCONUS 30 days before you enlistment is up. Now, I'm out of the Navy, so I'll be damned if I am going to look up the instruction, but it's out there somewhere.

I personally would recommend keeping your mouth shut about whether or not you are reenlisting, do the paperwork, but don't submit it until you are sure. If you decide to get out, stick to your guns and hope your CoC(k) doesn't gently caress you around.

If you don't mind me asking, what's the decision hinge on right now?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
We should put this in the first post of every thread:

quote:

Never tell your CoC you're getting out.

My bossman and the rest of the command believe I'm waiting to make a decision. In reality, I've submitted all my applications for grad school and have spoken with my detailer about extending my current orders by 2-3 months to better align with personal priorities upon getting out.

Develop a Plan A, a Plan B, and then keep that poo poo to yourself.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Schlabbalabba posted:

The Navy is trying to gently caress me hard

Schlabbalabba posted:

I'm most likely staying in

hth

You were miserable on subs. You did a ton of work to get off subs and were miserable as a taxi cab driver hovercraft whatever. You are being threatened by your CoC. You want to reenlist.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

KetTarma posted:

hth

You were miserable on subs. You did a ton of work to get off subs and were miserable as a taxi cab driver hovercraft whatever. You are being threatened by your CoC. You want to reenlist.

He's a victim in an abusive relationship. "But things will change! The Navy will change! I just have to pick a better rate."

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Do what we all wanted to see happen: when re-enlisting at the part where you get separated so you can swear back in just don't swear back in and :getout:

App13
Dec 31, 2011

So it turns out that the DAV is like the cool cousin of the VA that smokes and gives you caramels and money. I love it here.

Also, I celebrated my one year discharge-a-versary by drinking alone and playing video games, as is tradtion.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Do what we all wanted to see happen: when re-enlisting at the part where you get separated so you can swear back in just don't swear back in and :getout:

Wouldn't that make your career counselor unhappy with you?

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I really wanted to see this happen at least once, sadly I've never heard of it really happening. (Rumors maybe, but not a verifiable account.)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

The gap isn't between you signing out and signing back in. It happens at the end of the day. So while you may have signed out, you're still technically not out until midnight and can be hosed in the interim. While you might ultimately get away with it, be prepared to be on legal hold for an indefinitely period of time while they figure out what to do with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MancXVI
Feb 14, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

The gap isn't between you signing out and signing back in. It happens at the end of the day. So while you may have signed out, you're still technically not out until midnight and can be hosed in the interim. While you might ultimately get away with it, be prepared to be on legal hold for an indefinitely period of time while they figure out what to do with you.

Possible solution: reenlist on a Saturday at a bar off base

e: if you pound shots between discharge and signing, does your inebriation legally invalidate your new contract?

• Locked thread