Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Bonus! You ask anyone about it yet?

This is just an extension to my current contract. Medboard proceedings.

It was kind of worrying how they require you to wait until the day before your EAOS to apply the extension. I couldn't apply for TA, request additional leave, or update my ID card until they typed in "120" into a webform and clicked a ENTER button.

Couldn't they have automated the process? Why is it a "day before" process?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Angry Fish posted:

Pandasmores posted:

lol the Navy is hosed

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Angry Fish posted:

Fact: Any time you come across some kind of administrative concern where even the tiniest bit of responsibility is yours to take care of, They have arranged it this way so that it is your fault when they gently caress you

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

orange juche posted:

lol the Navy is hosed

I hate that excuse. I wish that we had a processes review system that actually functioned to improve core business practices.

The GS10 who's job it was to click the button on the webform authorizing my extension spent 24 minutes trying to find the right webform, and he had zero confidence in what he was doing the entire time.

DownByTheWooter posted:

Fact: Any time you come across some kind of administrative concern where even the tiniest bit of responsibility is yours to take care of, They have arranged it this way so that it is your fault when they gently caress you

As long as it can be brushed away as Somebody Else's Problem(tm), the give-a-gently caress's value is set to null.

A Bad King fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 31, 2014

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

quote:

One sailor on an aircraft carrier yelled that the CNO would have to come get his beard if he wanted it, then stepped off the flight deck and plunged into the sea (he was later fished out of the water).

Grooming standards through the ages:
http://news.usni.org/2014/10/23/brief-history-grooming-u-s-navy

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

I'm a semen, I mean Seaman, I haven't been a semen for 20 years.
Who's ready for this IWO ARG deployment?

gently caress BITCHES. EAT SCHAWARMA.

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Angry Fish posted:

I hate that excuse. I wish that we had a processes review system that actually functioned to improve core business practices.

Why do you think the Navy actually wants to improve core business practices?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Angry Fish posted:

Six more months have been added to my time. :shrug:

This makes me happy for a lot of reasons, mostly so that we don't have to take an actually qualified instructor away from a class and stick them in open learning everyday.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I'm becoming more and more curious as to when NMCI is actually going to upgrade to a modern web browser. Like, virtually every non-military site I visit these days comes with a distressingly-worded warning that my browser is old as poo poo and no longer supported. That is, if the page even loads, which an increasing number of sites don't. At what point do they finally figure "gee, 2009 was a great year and all, but maybe we should move on"?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I'm becoming more and more curious as to when NMCI is actually going to upgrade to a modern web browser. Like, virtually every non-military site I visit these days comes with a distressingly-worded warning that my browser is old as poo poo and no longer supported. That is, if the page even loads, which an increasing number of sites don't. At what point do they finally figure "gee, 2009 was a great year and all, but maybe we should move on"?

"It's not in our contact."

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Our NMCI computers just got IE10 on them last weekend.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Wingnut Ninja posted:

This is what happens when you do stupid poo poo like let the OPNAV N2/N6 (for the entire loving Navy) be an aviator (or SWO, or any other URL who hasn't been a career comms or something similar, for that matter).

PneumonicBook posted:

Our NMCI computers just got IE10 on them last weekend.

Meaningless if they're still running XP...

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q

Wingnut Ninja posted:

IE10 has been authorized since uh ... a while ago. It's up to local commands to actually implement.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

buttplug posted:

This is what happens when you do stupid poo poo like let the OPNAV N2/N6 (for the entire loving Navy) be an aviator (or SWO, or any other URL who hasn't been a career comms or something similar, for that matter).

Meaningless if they're still running XP...

They're running Windows 7. Sounds like whoever is in charge of your NMCI computers is awful (a possibility).

Jacco
Sep 2, 2008
I need advice. I get out (hopefully) in a year. I am in the IT line of work. I have a BS in information systems but I really dont like the type of work I do. I would really like to go back to college to get a different BS degree but everyone tells me I should suck it up and just get a Masters in my area of expertise.

So my question is, is there anyone out there that has done what I want to do and could offer any insight?

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Jacco posted:

I need advice. I get out (hopefully) in a year. I am in the IT line of work. I have a BS in information systems but I really dont like the type of work I do. I would really like to go back to college to get a different BS degree but everyone tells me I should suck it up and just get a Masters in my area of expertise.

So my question is, is there anyone out there that has done what I want to do and could offer any insight?

A little more info would be helpful.
Are you filthy and enlisted?
Is you bachelors degree from a real school?
What is you work history like outside of the Navy?
What are you trying to accomplish.

You should get a masters, it will go a lot farther than a second bachelors will.

Maybe get an MBA? Do you hate money and like the idea of being an indentured servant? Than go get a teachers cert!

I would look at project management personally, combines my some of my favorite things like money, stress, and self loathing!

Seriously, think beyond what you are trained to do to what you want to do and what you need to do to get there.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

krispykremessuck posted:

IE10 has been authorized since uh ... a while ago. It's up to local commands to actually implement.

What the gently caress. Hold on, I need to go yell at our ITs.

Jacco
Sep 2, 2008

bengy81 posted:

A little more info would be helpful.
Are you filthy and enlisted?
Is you bachelors degree from a real school?
What is you work history like outside of the Navy?
What are you trying to accomplish.

You should get a masters, it will go a lot farther than a second bachelors will.

Maybe get an MBA? Do you hate money and like the idea of being an indentured servant? Than go get a teachers cert!

I would look at project management personally, combines my some of my favorite things like money, stress, and self loathing!

Seriously, think beyond what you are trained to do to what you want to do and what you need to do to get there.

I am filthy and enlisted, my bachelors is from a real school, and out side of the navy my work experience was basically in the service industry to work my way through college. No way I am doing project management. I really want to do something that helps people.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

If you're still posting in this thread and it's November where you are you're wrong. Expect Mast, shipmates. :chiefsay:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3678123&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Pandasmores fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Jacco posted:

I am filthy and enlisted, my bachelors is from a real school, and out side of the navy my work experience was basically in the service industry to work my way through college. No way I am doing project management. I really want to do something that helps people.

I would ask in the Vet thread, there are a couple guys that do social science things (assuming that's what you mean by helping people), and they can probably help you more.

I still think I would look into a Master's program for your potential future career. I personally don't know poo poo about those kind of career fields, but if it's like anything else you will be way further ahead in life going into it with a masters than with a second bachelors. I guess the first thing you would need to do is figure out what program you want to do and where you want to do it at. Then figure out what you need to do to get accepted, and hopefully you can get rolling as soon as you get out. If you aren't on a ship, you might even have time to knock out some pre-reqs if you have to, but knowing how the Navy works, they will probably work hard to prevent that from happening.

• Locked thread