Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Tkchaev is not, though. Sorry Oilers!

e:Okay, fine, intro:

Hockey is back. Baby

Currently the pre-season has about a week to go, and on October 8th you're gonna see some serious poo poo

This year opening night will consist of 4 games, 2 for the US and 2 for Canada. All of these teams hate each other to varying degrees. In Canada you'll be able to watch on Sportsnet and TVA Sports, whatever the hell those are. In America you'll be able to watch on the NBCSports Network, which is totally a thing, we promise

This year's contenders look to be the likes of the LA Kings (current Stanley Cup Champions), Chicago Blackhawks, Boston Bruins, and honestly unless the Bruins fluke out of the playoffs again it's really just them in the East

On a final note, go Flyers, Steve Mason don't need defense anyway

e2: holy loving poo poo tables. Goddammit retina Macs

Vicas fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Oct 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

HI HOCKEY I MISSED YOU

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
I decided to just include opening night, since there's no real stats to post at the moment

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
you missed a fine opportunity to name the thread Hockey's Bort Baby!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Vicas posted:

On a final note, go Flyers, Steve Mason don't need defense anyway

*looks at Monday's score* :raise:

Rangers are supposed to announce cuts today but so far Ryan Bourque seems to be the only guy who hasn't gotten out on the ice. Hayes, Haggerty, Duclair, Fast, Mueller, Lindberg, Hunwick, Kostka, Kampfer, and McIlrath all on the ice...

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Vicas posted:

I decided to just include opening night, since there's no real stats to post at the moment

HOCKEY

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Welcome back Hockey. Now for the best part, NHL.com Headline puns!

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

quote:

New York Rangers
‏@NYRangers
OFFICIAL: #NYR reassign nine to @WolfPackAHL including Allen, Bodie, C. Bourque, R. Bourque, Hughes, Kristo, Missiaen, Tarnasky & Zamorsky.

No surprises really. Kristo probably needs a change of scenery, he just has too many guys in front of him and he'll be an UFA after this season if he doesn't play 60 NHL games.

Forwards left in camp:

Nash, Lindberg, Glass, Mueller, MSL, Hayes, Malone, Brass, Duclair, Fast, DMoore, Miller, Kreider, Zucc, Hags, Hrivik, Haggerty, Stempniak, Lombardi (still injured)

Defense left:

Hunwick, Kostka, Kampfer, Boyle, Girardi, Klein, McIlrath, JMoore, Staal, McDonagh

And of course Lundqvist and Talbot. Cedrick Desjardins is still technically up but because he's injured a bit and can't be sent down until that clears up.

Hunwick, Kostka, and Kampfer still fighting for the 7th D spot, I think McIlrath is still up just to get more practice and preseason games.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

lazerwolf posted:

Welcome back Hockey. Now for the best part, NHL.com Headline puns!

And the worst part, suspensions that don't do poo poo to seriously penalize errors and the limp dick videos that go along with them.

Also, 30 second advertisements to watch a 10 second highlight clip.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Levitate posted:

No surprises really. Kristo probably needs a change of scenery, he just has too many guys in front of him and he'll be an UFA after this season if he doesn't play 60 NHL games.

Forwards left in camp:

Nash, Lindberg, Glass, Mueller, MSL, Hayes, Malone, Brass, Duclair, Fast, DMoore, Miller, Kreider, Zucc, Hags, Hrivik, Haggerty, Stempniak, Lombardi (still injured)

Defense left:

Hunwick, Kostka, Kampfer, Boyle, Girardi, Klein, McIlrath, JMoore, Staal, McDonagh

And of course Lundqvist and Talbot. Cedrick Desjardins is still technically up but because he's injured a bit and can't be sent down until that clears up.

Hunwick, Kostka, and Kampfer still fighting for the 7th D spot, I think McIlrath is still up just to get more practice and preseason games.

R. Bork should definitely join the Wolf Gang too or whatever

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

quote:

Watching Corey Conacher score two goals, last night makes me wonder, why the gently caress didn't the Bruins look at him? When exactly did they/he decide Iginla wasn't staying? Did the timeframe not line up? Is Kelly that worth keeping around?

He's tiny and so gutless when he was born some of them were outside his body.

Not Bruins material.

Now Bobby Robins, there's a Bruin.

larkko
Oct 4, 2008

Oh my goooooooooddddddd:

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

are there any particularly sweet games from last season that you guys remember watching? instead of watching the god awful preseason like I have been, I want to make use of my hockey streams purchase to watch actually good hockey

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
ice burned by a star in the PHL

Zamboni Jesus
Jul 3, 2007

We don't really care about what that bug-eyed fat walrus has to say

Levitate posted:

also he would have to exist in real life

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Aye Doc posted:

are there any particularly sweet games from last season that you guys remember watching? instead of watching the god awful preseason like I have been, I want to make use of my hockey streams purchase to watch actually good hockey

Game 1 of the ECF

e: only partly serious, fun game if you're a Rangers fan. For fun games in particular, check out the Hawks/Kings WCF series

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

JawKnee posted:

you missed a fine opportunity to name the thread Hockey's Bort Baby!

Thread name was by mod decree

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Aye Doc posted:

Kings/Hawks WCF Game 7
Rangers/Kings SCF Game 5
Flames/Canucks on January 18 (started with a line brawl and infamously had Torts try and fight Hartley)

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

So Marcus Johansson is going to be a winger this season according to Barry Trotz. That leaves 2 of Laich, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky to fill out the second and third line center slots. Gonna guess Kuz and Laich, though Trotz said Burakovsky is playing at an "NHL level" right now and that he might make the opening night roster, especially since Tom Wilson will be out to start the season.

Aye Doc posted:

All of the Chicago vs. LA series last year. It has some great hockey and terrible goaltending.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

ThinkTank posted:

Rangers/Kings SCF Game 5

Haha nope gently caress this game and gently caress that series :argh:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

^^^^^
I know your pain my friend. Perhaps even worse because my team has never won a cup and has lost twice in game 7. :smith:

Mind_Taker posted:

That leaves 2 of Laich, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky to fill out the second and third line center slots.

Burakovsky can play centre? I don't recall him doing that once with Erie. He was McDavid's winger for much of the season if I am remembering correctly.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Burakovsky can play centre? I don't recall him doing that once with Erie. He was McDavid's winger for much of the season if I am remembering correctly.

Yeah he's always been a winger but Trotz has said he envisions him as a center in the NHL. He'll probably start his career at wing but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up playing center for large stretches this season, especially if Kuz struggles or Laich's groin snaps again.

Washington has had issues drafting and developing centers recently (except Backstrom), it's why they've had a revolving door of second line FA centers the past 5 years. I think there is probably some new organization-wide effort to focus on developing centers.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 1, 2014

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

gently caress you whoever it was that decided to release the Game Center Live PS4 app in the US but forgot to tick the box for Europe or any other regions. :thumbsup:

Also posting this here because I assume the GCL thread got canned for :filez: chat.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Mind_Taker posted:

Yeah he's always been a winger but Trotz has said he envisions him as a center in the NHL. He'll probably start his career at wing but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up playing center for large stretches this season, especially if Kuz struggles or Laich's groin snaps again.

Pretty pretty pretty excited for this season.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Levitate posted:

*looks at Monday's score* :raise:

Rangers are supposed to announce cuts today but so far Ryan Bourque seems to be the only guy who hasn't gotten out on the ice. Hayes, Haggerty, Duclair, Fast, Mueller, Lindberg, Hunwick, Kostka, Kampfer, and McIlrath all on the ice...

they're supposed to cut down to 30, and here's who they have right now:

Forwards (25): Chris Bourque, Ryan Bourque, Derick Brassard, Anthony Duclair, Jesper Fast, Tanner Glass, Carl Hagelin, Ryan Haggerty, Kevin Hayes, Marek Hrivik, Chris Kreider, Danny Kristo, Oscar Lindberg, Matthew Lombardi, Ryan Malone, J.T. Miller, Dominic Moore, Chris Mueller, Rick Nash, Ryan Potulny, Martin St. Louis, Lee Stempniak, Derek Stepan, Nick Tarnasky, Mats Zuccarello

Defensemen (14): Conor Allen, Mat Bodie, Dan Boyle, Dan Girardi, Tommy Hughes, Matt Hunwick, Steven Kampfer, Kevin Klein, Michael Kostka, Ryan McDonagh, Dylan McIlrath, John Moore, Marc Staal, Petr Zamorsky

Goaltenders (4): Cedrick Desjardins, Henrik Lundqvist, Jason Missiaen, Cam Talbot

easy cuts: missiaen, bodie, hughes, zamorsky, r.bourque, potulny, tarnasky. that leaves 6 more to cut and i'd cut kostka, kampfer, c. bourque, haggerty (still needs seasoning), hrivik (although he hasn't looked bad), and uhhhh i don't know about the last one. one of mueller/malone/kristo.

fake edit: ok i guess they cut down to 34:

Steve Zipay @stevezipay · 54m 54 minutes ago
#NYR reassign nine: RBourque, CBourque, Tarnasky, Kristo
Allen, Bodie, Zamorsky, Hughes,
Missiaen, 34 in camp, including 3 G

surprised about kristo and allen without some other guys going but whatever

e: i guess all of this has been covered whoops

a false fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Oct 1, 2014

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mind_Taker posted:

Washington has had issues drafting and developing centers recently (except Backstrom), it's why they've had a revolving door of second line FA centers the past 5 years. I think there is probably some new organization-wide effort to focus on developing centers.

I would assume Trotz knows better than me, but man I don't see Burakovsky as a centre. He's a sniper who loves to just sorta disappear on the right side of the ice only to rematerialize and wire home a one timer. He's not a bad passer, but he's far more of a finisher than a playmaker. I can't think of many centres in the NHL that play like him. Pretty much none actually. He reminds me of a poor man's Daniel Sedin with better foot speed.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
i've missed you most of all, hockey

EDIT: first post!

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Frank Seravalli ‏@DNFlyers 24s25 seconds ago
#Flyers have waived Zack Stortini for the purpose of being sent to AHL Lehigh Valley. Other notable on waivers: Peter Mueller (STL).

there is a god

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

mcvey posted:

Pretty pretty pretty excited for this season.

I'm excited but I don't have high expectations. I think this is a playoff team (they were 2 points away with a worse roster and much worse coaching staff last year), but they are well behind teams like TB, BOS, PIT, NYR, etc.

Also Trotz has decided on a first line to start the season: Ovechkin-Backstrom-Fehr. This is a line that hasn't been used too much in the past but fancy and standard stats say they are a great combination. With that said, here are my projections for the opening night:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Fehr
Johansson-Kuznetsov-Brouwer
Chimera-Laich-Ward
Volpatti-Latta-Beagle

Alzner-Niskanen
Orpik-Carlson
Hillen-Green

Holtby

At forward, I think they are going to start Burakovsky in Hershey because I don't see them wasting him on the 4th line like Wilson was last season, but I could easily envision a scenario where Johansson is demoted to the 4th line and Burakovsky comes in an plays 2LW later in the season, so if Kuznetsov struggles at 2C but does well at wing, maybe they'll try Burakovsky at 2C? Either way, I see him getting some serious NHL time this season.

On defense, obviously I hate Orpik as a 4D but that is where he is probably going to start, same with Green who should be on the first pairing but almost surely will not, Hillen is going to be in for Orlov who is still recovering from wrist surgery.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

I actually like Washington's forwards...I think they'll be tough to play against, but loving poo poo do I not like their D. Nisakenen on the top pairing seems crap, Orpik is going to drag Carlson down, and Hillen is a joke

e: actually I guess the problem I see is that none of those pairings are really a top pairing in my mind. I think what you're hoping for is that a guy on each pairing (Niskanen, Carlson, and Green) can effectively move the puck and make up for defensive deficiencies. I just have never been impressed with Niskanen's D and if he gets a lot of minutes I could see it being a problem if a team forces him to defend more than attack

Levitate fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 1, 2014

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

I would assume Trotz knows better than me, but man I don't see Burakovsky as a centre. He's a sniper who loves to just sorta disappear on the right side of the ice only to rematerialize and wire home a one timer. He's not a bad passer, but he's far more of a finisher than a playmaker. I can't think of many centres in the NHL that play like him. Pretty much none actually. He reminds me of a poor man's Daniel Sedin with better foot speed.

Your description reminds me of Stamkos. Obviously Burakovsky can't sniff him right now, but maybe Trotz sees him as that type of center rather than the traditional two-way playmaking center.

Levitate posted:

I actually like Washington's forwards...I think they'll be tough to play against, but loving poo poo do I not like their D. Nisakenen on the top pairing seems crap, Orpik is going to drag Carlson down, and Hillen is a joke

Well Hillen got injured in Game 1 of the 2013 season and Game 2 of the 2013-14 season, so he's only going to play 3 games this season. Also Orlov will replace him once he returns from injury.

I don't see Niskanen being too bad as a 1D, he's not going to be elite but he's driven possession his entire career. Obviously Green is better than a 5/6D but I think he'll be promoted sooner rather than later. Orpik should be in the press box but that will never happen, but him being on the third pairing isn't the worst thing in the world and could happen when he undoubtedly struggles.

And yeah I agree, I don't see a definitive "top pairing" there. I see four 2D-4D guys there (Green, Niskanen, Carlson, and Alzner) so while they have good "depth", they have no top end talent. Green obviously used to be that guy and maybe he can return to his old form under Trotz, but it'd be foolish to bank on that given his history.

Mind_Taker fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Oct 1, 2014

larkko
Oct 4, 2008

Zip! posted:

gently caress you whoever it was that decided to release the Game Center Live PS4 app in the US but forgot to tick the box for Europe or any other regions. :thumbsup:

Also posting this here because I assume the GCL thread got canned for :filez: chat.
It's not about box-ticking, but rather that different companies own the television and streaming rights in Europe: http://www.nhl.com/ice/m_page.htm?id=74583

And whatever, make a US PSN account and the app will work just fine.

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES

Levitate posted:

Forwards left in camp:

Defense left:

i think hunwick gets the 7D spot. they want mcilrath to play and kostka and kampfer have been pedestrian.

forwards are a lot tougher to figure out.

locks: nash, msl, brass, dmoore, miller, kreider, zucc, hags, stempniak

bubble: lindberg, glass, mueller, hayes, malone, duclair, fast, hrivik, haggerty, lombardi

i'd be really surprised if they cut lombardi even if he doesn't make the opening night roster. so that makes 4 spots out of the rest of those guys. hrivik and haggerty will probably be sent down and i think hayes is pretty likely to be as well. so, lindberg, glass, mueller, malone, duclair, and fast for 2 roster spots and 2 scratches. out of those, mueller is the easiest cut (since AV loves glass). i think lindberg probably starts in the A as well. i don't think you can cut duclair, he's just been too good. malone has the inside track as a veteran. SOOOOOO your 2014-15 new york rangers start as:

FW (14): Nash, St. Louis, Brassard, D. Moore, Miller, Kreider, Zuccarello, Hagelin, Stempniak, Lombardi, Malone, Duclair, Fast, Glass
D (7): McDonagh, Girardi, Staal, Boyle, J. Moore, Klein, Hunwick
G (2): Lundqvist, Talbot

opening night scratches: Malone, Glass/Lombardi, Hunwick

i think they need to clear up a contract spot for duclair to stay but i don't think it'd be that hard to unload some ahl scrub for a 7th or future considerations

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
T-minus 1 week until the Islanders begin the Worst Season of All Time™ and forfeit McDavid to the Buffalo Sabres

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Yeah I agree on the D thing, I think McIlrath is just still around to help get him some more experience and development.

If Lombardi can't get healthy and get some practice and games in then I think he's gone, they're not going to carry him if he can't even stay healthy in the preseason. For the forwards, I'm leaning towards thinking they might run with Lindberg on the 4th line and use Dom Moore in the top 9 at center while Stepan is out. Lindberg hasn't really stood out but he's a good faceoff guy and defensively responsible. Duclair makes it on the LW if he keeps playing like this in games. Wildly speculative lines

Kreider-Brass-Zucc
Hags-Moore-MSL
Duclair-Miller-Nash
Glass-Lindberg-Stempniak

Malone as a spare if he shows enough. Could also see Mueller getting the 4th line C spot for awhile. Also, no real order to those top 3 lines since AV likes to run them pretty evenly and power play time will separate out the top forwards from the rest. To be honest, whatever line Moore is on could be a weak link for awhile...I love him as a 4th line C and he can fill in as a top 9 guy sometimes but he'll have to really keep it up for the first month

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain

whatis posted:

T-minus 1 week until the Islanders begin the Worst Season of All Time™ and forfeit McDavid to the Buffalo Sabres

theres still time for someone to sign kaberle-komaserik to be their top pairing now tgat new jersey cut them

larkko
Oct 4, 2008

Yes yes yes yes.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Is Steve Simmons a loving moron or wh...oh nevermind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a false
Mar 5, 2009