Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

LumpyGumby posted:

Avs after six games:

0-5-1
Seven goals scored.

Man I hope we figure something out. I was thinking there might be some regression but good Lord. I know its preseason but things like this don't inspire confidence.

Ho--Holy hell. :stare: I knew people were talking about a step back, but drat.

Meanwhile, CBJ 5-1-0 without Johansen, Horton, Murray, Erixon, and now Jenner. Somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Krime posted:

So, is Comeau regularly a penalty machine or what?

Scores into his own net sometimes.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

CBJ offered Johansen $3.25M/2 years. Overhardt shot back with $4.5M/2 years.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Vicas posted:

can someone please just lock everyone involved in a room until this gets done or one side eats the other to stave off starvation

Aphrodite posted:

They'd probably eat Johansen and then keep negotiating.

Four-man tag-team cage match. John "The Boss" Davidson and Jarmo Blofeld vs. Kurt "The Agent" Overhardt and...I guess Johansen's useless if he's physically maimed, so maybe the kid on the OSU Golf Caddie scholarship who ran onto the field during the OSU/Cincinnati game last week could be a stand-in. Overhardt can have Jared Boll since he's a "hockey player" who "fights".

Winning team gets their deal.

e-

Aphrodite posted:

They'd probably eat Johansen and then keep negotiating.

They'd then blame the other side as to why they ate Johansen.

"It was about integrity. Obviously, we couldn't agree on this young man's future, so I did what was best for my client and ate him"- Overhardt

"His demands were outrageous and an insult. EAT him? We wanted to be fair and escape the room but, in the end, we did what we thought was best given the circumstances." - Jarmo

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 3, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

fits posted:

LeBrun: Dan Carcillo signs one year, $550,000 deal with Blackhawks

:lol:

Bob McKenzie says Nick Leddy's probably getting traded, too.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

On top of all the other bullshit regarding Johansen:

quote:

General manager Jarmo Kekalainen said Johansen, a Canadian, would need one or two days to be cleared through immigration to play for a U.S.-based club. Then he’d have to travel to Columbus (or directly to Buffalo) from Vancouver, British Columbia, where he has been skating and training during the impasse.

...leading Portzline to suggest he might need to be signed no later than Monday to play against Buffalo, including travel from Vancouver to Columbus/Buffalo.

:shepicide:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

eXXon posted:

Islanders keep trading all of their picks for guys who will leave as UFAs, in order to make the playoffs and justify their earlier trades. Okay then whatever works for you (or doesn't).

They're about to add Leddy per Twitter.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

N: CBJ finish the pre-season 7-1-0. Bob turns away 44 of 46.

V: God, I hope something resembling that carries into the regular season.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Wow, the Jackets claimed Jack Skille back off waivers. He was surprisingly kinda useful last year as a winger.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

LmaoTheKid posted:

No subways in Nassau County. NEXT STOP JAMAICA *Islanders Fs poo poo themselves*

They hopped the LIRR or whatever it is to connect you to the subway. They went into the city to go out to dinner and Garth made them take public transportation.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Fateo McMurray posted:

Countdown until Subban misjudges a fart and shits himself on the ice.

Subban...starts the breakout from behind the net here, kinda with a brown...trickle coming from his pant leg, sends it up to Galcheny--oh God, I just realized what that was. :stare:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrre's JOEY!

I don't care about the term or value. gently caress all four, let's play hockey.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Bob McKenzie says an AAV of $4M on Joey.

Suck it, Overhardt.

e- $3M for 2 then $6M the third year.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

No. They openly said if he keeps producing they'll open the checkbook. They just didn't want to open it after one good season.

It wasn't about cutting corners on the next deal. It was about not handcuffing themselves in the event he regresses, which is unlikely, but understandable, as that type of poo poo is why the Jackets were perpetually in a hole.

Steve Mason was re-signed by Howson for two years on the hope he would snap out of suck mode and revert to Calder mode. It didn't work- in fact, he got worse. At the same time, they could've signed Tomas Vokoun and Howson said no. I think that's what the CBJ were trying to avoid.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jerry D'Amigo, Kerby Rychel and Frederic St. Denis assigned to Springfield, setting Columbus' opening roster:

F: Artem Anisimov, Cam Atkinson, Jared Boll, Matt Calvert, Michael Chaput, Marko Dano, Brandon Dubinsky, Nick Foligno, Scott Hartnell, Ryan Johansen, Mark Letestu, Jack Skille, Corey Tropp, Alexander Wennberg.

D: Tim Erixon, Cody Goloubef, Jack Johnson, Dalton Prout, David Savard, Fedor Tyutin, James Wisniewski.

G: Sergei Bobrovsky, Curtis McElhinney

IR: Brian Gibbons, Nathan Horton, Boone Jenner, Ryan Murray.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Has this been posted yet? Because if it has, it deserves more attention:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11639872

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Levitate posted:

Is Erixon actually gonna play?

With Murray hurt and Goloubef penciled in to be the spare, he'll definitely start the season. Where he fits in when Murray's ready (which sounds like it could be very soon) is unknown. There was some suggestion Goloubef may be trade bait when the Jackets get to 8 healthy D because they don't know if he'll clear waivers, which would make him #7. I don't see Murray AND Erixon bumping somebody on D to the press box.

Glambags posted:

I was really hoping Jerry D would make the CBJ squad and stick in the NHL. He grew up in the same area as me and so few people make anything of themselves out of that dump

He may still get to play a couple games if Johansen isn't ready for some reason and he (D'Amigo) clears waivers. Something about a waived player still being able to stay with the big club for a few days (Kyle Wilson did it in 2010-11).

Doctor Butts posted:

Did Chaput play some games last year? Name looks familiar.

Wow at Dano and Wennberg making it though.

Chaput played 10 or so games as an injury callup early last season. The Jackets got him for Tom Sestito a few years ago. EA had him do some mo-cap work when the Jackets were in Vancouver, interestingly enough.

I had Rychel making it over Dano based on what I saw in the preseason.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Columbus claims something called Adam Cracknell from LA. I seem to remember him being talked about during the playoffs with the Blues.

Jarmo's been busy at the discount store the last couple days. Maybe because Dubinsky's hurt now, too. :shepicide:

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Are there any centers whose last name ends in "-nell"? I want a Hartnell-________-Cracknell line while we're at it.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

AngryBooch posted:

What? Jack Johnson and Matt Frattin weren't enough for you guys? You had to take Cracknell too? Where does this end?

If you want to be technical, they got Marko Dano from you, too.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Aaron Portzline says the CBJ will go shopping for a big name winger if Horton's back problems have no end in sight.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Levitate posted:

Pack your bags, Nash

But then how will the budding rivalry between the Rangers and Jackets with Nash being the centerpiece (at least from our end) fester? I want more chippy games like last March. :ohdear:

sedative posted:

Please take Umberger back

Well, the Jackets have been in the "reacquiring guys we just got rid of" mood this week, but...No.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Zodijackylite posted:

Not quite current, but Mike Rupp was drafted 9th overall and was considered a power forward as a prospect. He put up respectable, but not huge numbers in juniors (16 goals at age 18) and he almost matched that with 13 goals in 2009. He didn't really take on the heavyweight/enforcer role until a bit later in his career. The year he was drafted, he only had 11 fights on the OHL - around 70th in the league.

A bunch of goons put up 20 goals at age 20 in juniors, and the sign of a really bad hockey forward is *not* putting up at least 20 goals when you're 20 in juniors. Rupp scored 32 at that age

Most of the heavyweights whose only skill is fighting have ended up in the AHL though. Guys like Zack Stortini, Nick Tarnasky, and Trevor Gillies aren't making NHL teams anymore, they're slugging it out in minor leagues. Middleweight scrappers who fight more often by fighting more technically - grappling/blocking/dodging, not just slugging - are pretty common. Brandon Prust and Derek Dorsett will stick around, even if they get into a lot of stupid fights and end up injuring themselves from fighting too much.

I just looked Dorsett up and noticed he had 64 points in 61 games in his last season in the WHL. After a couple years in the NHL where he didn't do much other than fight came the season where he decided to use Vinny Prospal as a role model in terms of approach to the game and scored 12 goals/20 points in 2011-12 on a Jackets team which was terrible for 3/4 of the season. Then again, he deliberately got in two fights and took an extra penalty for insurance in the final game of that season to ensure he led the league with 235 PIMs.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

BearDrivingTruck's post reminded me: Would you guys get any use out of a thread introducing and giving the ins and outs about local broadcast teams? I'd thought about doing that and we could post what to expect out of the local radio and TV teams for those who might have Gamecenter or be watching local broadcasts and want to avoid bad/listen to good announcers.

Also, I can't see Nathan Horton calling it quits without doing everything he can to keep playing. He strikes me as the type who reaaaaaally likes hockey and was genuinely excited to make stuff happen in Columbus, so if (e- it gets to the point where he has to) just say "I'm done", something must be critically wrong.

The dude was so happy the two times I met him and every time I saw him interviewed. :smith: At the season ticket sales come-on I was invited to, he looked like he was shocked all these people wanted to come out and hang out with him, almost like he was humbled people liked him.

Zip! posted:

RE: Enforcer hockey skills chat

I will say this; during the lockouts when Wade Belak, Paul Bissonette and Tom Sestito of all players were point per game players when they came over to play in our league which is ECHL/AAA equivalent in standard. They were legitimately good hockey mans.

Tom Sestito looked like he'd be a useful fourth-liner who could create chaos and step in as a punchman if needed in his first season with Columbus. It went to poo poo when he left, apparently.

Levitate posted:

Yeah this is just the first time I've seen someone pretty legitimate talking about how bad it it really is, seems like before it was just unsourced rumors

That was the basis of Aaron Portzline's Tweet I posted yesterday about the Jackets pursuing a Top 6 forward if Horton's really as hosed as they say he is. Porty may not be able to proofread his articles worth a crap, but he's about as in-the-know about the CBJ as it gets.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Oct 8, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Wonderllama posted:

he wont make it past Carolina or Columbus.

Columbus will love to take him and want to kiss him on the mouth

Hey Jarmo, another player in the bargain bin! Who needs July 1st when you can go pickin' off the waiver wire.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Doctor Butts posted:

I didn't see it posted but Dubinsky out 6 wks, had abdominal surgery.

poo poo.

e- The Jackets' injury/roster woes seem worse than they are in a sense. I keep having to remind myself Johansen is back and Murray is somewhat close to coming back. But Jenner, Horton, and Dubinsky...

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Oct 8, 2014

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

The Dirty Burger posted:

LA raising the banner while they play San Jose tonight is hilarious

Oh God, that game's in LA? We have to deal with Cartman? :(

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Bettman says the Sharks will not watch the Banner Raising ceremony.

Troy Queef posted:

I...don't mind Cartman.

(Also, I'm actually going to be at Opening Night in Columbus: I'm in town for the US Australian Football National Championships and figured "hey, tickets will actually be cheaper than St Louis, it's only my second non-Scottrade arena and there's a few other guys going so why not". You gonna be there, and if so what are good pre/post/etc. recommendations?)

If I go, they'll be 11th Hour StubHub grabs. I think Lobsterboy (Bruins/CBJ fan) is going.

The whole Arena District rules. Parking is a little cheaper the further away from the Arena you go- I think there's a $5 lot near the railroad bridge west of the baseball stadium.

The RBar is a hockey bar which I've never been to but it seems like a cool place. If you're looking for casual eating, there's a Boston Pizza and Jimmy John's across the street. BD's Mongolian Grill is like a Japanese Hibachi only less good. The Montana Grill's pretty good. There's also an Irish pub with Irish-themed food, a Buca di Beppo (I think), and a handful of other bars within a short distance North of the Arena.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Is there a Center Ice free preview in the US to start the season and, if so, how long does it run?

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Projected CBJ lines vs. Buffalo

Hartnell-Anisimov-Dano
Foligno-Johansen-Atkinson
Calvert-Letestu-Wennberg
Skille-Chaput-Boll/Tropp
Boll/Tropp
Cracknell

Johnson-Savard
Erixon-Wisniewski
Tyutin-Prout

Bobrovsky
McElhinney

IR: Horton, Dubinsky, Jenner, Murray

Ok, so Calvert and Wennberg had some chemistry going in the pre-season. CBJ ran with that first line in a couple games and it seemed to work. This will be interesting.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

I'm wearing my We Are The 5th Line t-shirt today. It's time. Go Jackets, please beat Jhonas Enroth.

Schremp Howard posted:

I saw Dan Bylsma at a Pittsburgh mall today with his family. I went against my brother's advice and did not ask him what he was doing tomorrow night.

I saw Doug MacLean in the Arena District while eating at a patio restaurant about 6 weeks after he was fired. He and his wife were going to the movie theater across from Nationwide.

Had I been a CBJ fan longer than I had at the time and dealt with his stupidity, I probably would've been tempted to say something.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Gio posted:

evidence of fancy stats creeping into the mainstream--fox sports has SOG as a permanent graphic (???) during gameplay

Saw that on the Jackets broadcast and it rules.

whatis posted:

Buffalo just lost the one of its five winnable games for the next two months.

Chicago
Anaheim
Carolina
Florida
Boston
Anaheim
Los Angeles
San Jose
Toronto
Boston
Pittsburgh
Detroit
Montreal
Edmonton
Pittsburgh
St. Louis
Minnesota
Toronto
San Jose
NY Rangers
Washington
Winnipeg
Montreal
Montreal

They're seriously gonna have like three wins heading into December

Enroth is going to steal them a couple wins, probably in the Carolina/Florida/Toronto/Edmonton/Washington/Detroit neighborhood at some point. He looked a hell of a lot better than a goalie who won 4 games last season.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Jack Skille wore #5 last year to honor Blake Geoffrion, his friend who had to retire due to concussion problems (and became a member of the CBJ's pro scouting staff).

When he was re-claimed by the Jackets, he changed to #10. Why? To "give the fans the #5", referring to the We Are The 5th Line campaign that went nuclear late last season.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Simon Hjalmarsson hosed off to Europe. That's a shame, because I'd have liked to have seen what he could've done with a little bit of fine tuning in the AHL and a call-up to Columbus.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Duclair's gonna be solid.

Two games does not a season make, but if the CBJ can play like that until they get reinforcements like Dubinsky, Jenner, and Horton (probably not) back...

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

poser posted:

European hockey owns.. They had these at every seat and it folded into a fan and it was awesome

What does STURMER translate into? Because it sounds much cooler than Forward or Defenseman.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Brain Curry posted:

Lu held NJ to five goals, which is as low as they scored all season.

I can't believe how dead it was. We had panthers fans apologize to us for the turnout and the team. The last few Florida home openers have been fantastic. This one was just sad.

Man. Even when the Jackets were bad, people would still turn out in droves for Opening Night.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

N: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M55_MOXXXIs

V: I'll take any shred of aggression or agitation the Jackets can have given years of that being handled solely by Jody Shelley, but that type thing better not result in a stupid penalty at some point this season, Scott.

Lobsterboy posted:

Jackets won a dicey home opener against the Rangers, very exciting.

Got the most important signature tho :toot:

Foligno-Johansen-Atkinson rules.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Nash + St. Louis < :cop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIm0lZNVm9U

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

soggybagel posted:

Has spearing peoples in the nuts become the cool thing to do.

That and scoring GWGs in the last couple minutes this season. BOS/PHI, NYR/STL, MTL/TOR, ANA/DET.

• Locked thread