Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

African AIDS cum posted:

The injuries are down to overuse and only a serious recovery doping regime would prevent them

Which is why they will borrow a centrifuge from Bayern and spin some Di Maria.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011

Thirteenth Step posted:

ill porbably go op and im going to the emirates becuase my mates dad has a box there so i'll be having every prawn sandwich in sight

No sandwiches, but there is a buffet and drinks.

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
gently caress international breaks

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

gently caress international breaks

this

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
wheres the thread for discussing football books because keanos new one is hilarious

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW

The Big Taff Man posted:

wheres the thread for discussing football books because keanos new one is hilarious

I'm gonna use my TRP mod powers and say we can talk about that here during the international break.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
oh poo poo wrong account

Earthy Ape Unit
Jun 17, 2014

by XyloJW
gently caress it w/e, I guess the jig is up

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

The Big Taff Man posted:

its almost like he read fergusons book and went "right then" and released another book just to take it to the next level

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

gently caress it w/e, I guess the jig is up

Actually he's being rested, Rodgers orders

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

The Big Taff Man posted:

The kit thread is also the book thread

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

Thirteenth Step posted:

its almost like he read fergusons book and went "right then" and released another book just to take it to the next level

Does anyone actually read these books or do they just wait for the media to report the juicy bits?

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Premier League open to ‘38th game’ overseas fixtures programme

http://gu.com/p/428qt

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

the bit about how keane wouldnt sign robbie savage because his answering machine was "hi it's robbie....whazzzzuuuuupppp" is too good.

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
39th game you absolute moron ffs how can you mess up a one-line post so badly

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
Hurr durr 38th game I'm Swiss

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
tbf if you click the link it's about playing a regular season game overseas rather than adding an extra one, hence 38th instead of 39th.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Bea Nanner posted:

Does anyone actually read these books or do they just wait for the media to report the juicy bits?

The Zlatan one was good and I'd like to read the Ancelotti one.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
lol

“I rang Mark Hughes. Robbie [Savage] wasn’t in the Blackburn team and I asked Mark if we could try to arrange a deal. Sparky said: ‘Yeah, yeah, he’s lost his way here but he could still do a job for you.’ Robbie’s legs were going a bit but I thought he might come up to us [at Sunderland], with his long hair, and give us a lift – the way Yorkie [Dwight Yorke] had, a big personality in the dressing room. Sparky gave me permission to give him a call. So I got Robbie’s mobile number and rang him. It went to his voicemail: ‘Hi, it’s Robbie – whazzup!’ like the Budweiser ad. I never called him back. I thought: ‘I can’t be loving signing that.’”

“We were playing Sporting Lisbon to celebrate the opening of their stadium. I saw how good Ronaldo was that day. He was up against John O’Shea. Sheasy ended up seeing the doctor at half time because he was actually having dizzy spells.

“The club concluded negotiations after the game and we always joked with Sheasy he had actually sealed the deal by playing like a loving clown."

“My first game [for Celtic] was Clyde, away, in the third round of the Scottish Cup. We were beaten 2-1. It was a nightmare. I wasn’t happy with my own game. I did OK, but OK wasn’t good enough. After the game – the disappointment. As I was taking my jersey off, I noticed the Nike tag was still on it. When I got on the bus John Hartson, a really good guy, was already sitting there and he was eating a packet of crisps – with a fizzy drink. I said to myself: ‘Welcome to Hell.’”

Psybro
May 12, 2002

PirateBob posted:

I thought he might come up to us [at Sunderland], with his long hair,

I'm glad for this clarification.

I'm assuming Villa's good start to the season is due to Keano telling everyone to give it a loving rest/go and join the circus if they want to act a loving clown/turn off their phone.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

Psybro posted:

I'm glad for this clarification.

I'm assuming Villa's good start to the season is due to Keano telling everyone to give it a loving rest/go and join the circus if they want to act a loving clown/turn off their phone.

I figured it was due to Lambert and Keane doing their best good cop/bad cop routine.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

Bea Nanner posted:

Fergies book was pretty good. Keanes first was great too. I quite liked Nevilles. My favourite one I own is probably Big Rons tho.

Psybro
May 12, 2002

Shroud posted:

I figured it was due to Lambert and Keane doing their best good cop/bad cop routine.

The role of 'good cop' being played by 'incomprehensibly Glaswegian cop' here.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Burqa King posted:

Actually he's being rested, Rodgers orders

Holy Moley

The Big Taff Man posted:

Fergies book was pretty good. Keanes first was great too. I quite liked Nevilles. My favourite one I own is probably Big Rons tho.

Which one :D I love my SIGNED copy of the last one :smug: (though as reads go, the one before that was better imo)

oilcheck my ass
Mar 8, 2006

Well, hello ladies.

Ninpo posted:

Which one :D I love my SIGNED copy of the last one :smug: (though as reads go, the one before that was better imo)

Here's a great bookman fact:

Signed copies of particular books, and most notably sports biographies, are worth less [not that any of them are worth a goddamn thing] than unsigned copies because its impossible to find one that doesn't loving say "Dear X, thanks for being a fan" or something similary loving stupid.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bea Nanner posted:

Keane's first autobiography is a decent read, I'll be picking up the new one too after seeing the leaked stuff.

Who knew that Robbie Savage and Robin van Persie had the same sense of humor?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

oilcheck my rear end posted:

are worth less than unsigned copies

I don't think this is true.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

blue footed boobie posted:

Oilcheck buys and sells books for a living, m8. I think he knows what he's talking about.

oilcheck my ass
Mar 8, 2006

Well, hello ladies.

blue footed boobie posted:

Here's a stupid effort post because I feel like it.

Signed copies of particular items are important because you distinguish them from non signed copies. They are more scarce, therefore more valuable. Some books are expensive because the Pope put his loving name in them, not because he wrote them.

Conversely, there are signed copies of items that are normally worthless that have stratospheric value if you have an autograph. If you have a signed Seamus Heaney 1st? Well there you go. Heaney was a recluse that never talked to anyone and refused to sign anything. A signed book meant that he liked you and was willing to personally dedicate something to you. It's not going you make you rich, but the autograph instantly makes even a dover anthology have value.

Sports Biographies sell copies at book signings. Where the authors blankly sign whoever brings a book to them and smiles and nods. There are more signed copies of a 1st/1st of a sports biography than there are non signed copies. The actual pristine copies sell for more than than the signed copies.

tl;dr: you are an idiot

edit: Pardew out.

oilcheck my ass fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 8, 2014

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

oliwan posted:

Premier League open to ‘38th game’ overseas fixtures programme

http://gu.com/p/428qt

They should just let teams play home fixtures wherever they want, provided the away side agrees to it. That way Man U and Chelsea can gently caress about in San Diego and Beijing twice a season while the rest of the league happens as normal.

Imo its only a matter of time before Mancchester United drop all ties to Mancchester and become footballing vagrants.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
That was interesting, thanks oil!

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

hadji murad posted:

That was interesting, thanks oil!

hadji murad weighs in on the last 10 years of being a Chelsea fan

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Blue Star Error posted:

Lol

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Blue Star Error posted:

Since the late 90s thanks to Zola, I was aiming for inconsistency.

edit: that took me ages to get, that's really funny too :)

hadji murad fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Oct 8, 2014

Duncan Sperguson
Apr 21, 2010

Blue Star Error posted:

lol

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

quote:

Former Manchester United defender Rio Ferdinand says he wants to manage the club one day.

Ferdinand won six Premier League titles during his 12-year career at Old Trafford.

And the 35-year-old told the Manchester Evening News: "I am not stupid enough to think that I will pass all my badges and then Manchester United will come asking me to become their manager.

"But I want to be the best in whatever field I go into and that means managing a big club like United or your country."

You're too hard on yourself, Rio. You're stupid enough to think anything you want.

Raffles
Dec 7, 2004

straight up brolic posted:

the bit about how keane wouldnt sign robbie savage because his answering machine was "hi it's robbie....whazzzzuuuuupppp" is too good.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Blue Star Error posted:

Yes

hadji murad posted:

Since the late 90s thanks to Zola, I was aiming for inconsistency.

Lmao

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

oilcheck my rear end posted:

Here's a stupid effort post because I feel like it.

Signed copies of particular items are important because you distinguish them from non signed copies. They are more scarce, therefore more valuable. Some books are expensive because the Pope put his loving name in them, not because he wrote them.

Conversely, there are signed copies of items that are normally worthless that have stratospheric value if you have an autograph. If you have a signed Seamus Heaney 1st? Well there you go. Heaney was a recluse that never talked to anyone and refused to sign anything. A signed book meant that he liked you and was willing to personally dedicate something to you. It's not going you make you rich, but the autograph instantly makes even a dover anthology have value.

Sports Biographies sell copies at book signings. Where the authors blankly sign whoever brings a book to them and smiles and nods. There are more signed copies of a 1st/1st of a sports biography than there are non signed copies. The actual pristine copies sell for more than than the signed copies.

tl;dr: you are an idiot

edit: Pardew out.

I only quoted a bit of your post that seemed to indicate that having the book signed in itself lowered its value. That still doesn't really sound right, but now I'm not sure that's what you were saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Ozil sent for a knee scan, RIP

• Locked thread