Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
QPR, Newcastle, and Burnley will finish the season in the same position as in the OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

oilcheck my rear end posted:

are worth less than unsigned copies

I don't think this is true.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Here's a stupid effort post because I feel like it.

Signed copies of particular items are important because you distinguish them from non signed copies. They are more scarce, therefore more valuable. Some books are expensive because the Pope put his loving name in them, not because he wrote them.

Conversely, there are signed copies of items that are normally worthless that have stratospheric value if you have an autograph. If you have a signed Seamus Heaney 1st? Well there you go. Heaney was a recluse that never talked to anyone and refused to sign anything. A signed book meant that he liked you and was willing to personally dedicate something to you. It's not going you make you rich, but the autograph instantly makes even a dover anthology have value.

Sports Biographies sell copies at book signings. Where the authors blankly sign whoever brings a book to them and smiles and nods. There are more signed copies of a 1st/1st of a sports biography than there are non signed copies. The actual pristine copies sell for more than than the signed copies.

tl;dr: you are an idiot

edit: Pardew out.

I only quoted a bit of your post that seemed to indicate that having the book signed in itself lowered its value. That still doesn't really sound right, but now I'm not sure that's what you were saying.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Chris de Sperg posted:

You're taking something that there's relatively few of (unsigned first edition), and make it into something there's relatively many of (signed first edition), so, excluding any complications of demand, you've turned a more valuable commodity into a less valuable one.

I think I have a signed copy of noted West Ham oval office Geoff Hurst's biography around here, I should probably burn it

I don't accept that there is any more demand for used, unsigned books than there is for used, signed books.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Byolante posted:

Why would someone, other than blue footed boobie, want a book saying 'thanks for showing up to this book signing blue footed boobie, all the best [poo poo footballer]'

I don't think the buyer of lovely used sports biographies is that discerning, and in any event a lot of signed copies are just signatures, too.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

The Clit Avoider posted:

Most people who collect 1st ed. books are collecting antiquated volumes, and want something as close to mint condition as possible. When a signature is not a rarity, it is considered near enough vandalism. What's hard about this to understand?

The same goes for vinyls incidentally.

This all sounds like a wildly unrealistic scenario and I suspect you're all just making this up.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Jose posted:

Ozil is out injured for 3 months lol

Amazing. My favorite part is that the Arsenal physios didn't pick it up at all. The Germans team had to do it. Pretty sure Arsenal just hired a vet.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Apparently the Arsenal medics told the national team it wasn't a serious injury lol. This is the club's all time record signing.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Bea Nanner posted:

I'd need to see the statistics (and then not read them), to believe otherwise.

There have been a lot of these stats floating around for the last few weeks, but I cba to find them. Suffice to say, I think you're just about the last person out there making this argument.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Crunkjuice posted:

Or Wengers training methods are awful and there's nothing medicine can do to prevent injuries.

This is most likely the explanation, since the injury problems have survived at least two sets of medical teams.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

African AIDS cum posted:

Explain how doctors could prevent this, without giving them banned substances

Obv the doctors probably couldn't have prevented this, but over the years, Rosicky, Vermalean, and Wilshere have all picked up long term injuries which have either been bizarre mysteries for long periods, or have been mis-diagnosed repeatedly. That doesn't really seem to happen with other teams. And the fact that Arsenal released Ozil to Germany without giving him an MRI themselves and just assuming that a knee ligament tear "wasn't serious" is a bit shocking. Meanwhile, our players are consistently out longer than they're originally projected to be. Not exactly reassuring stuff.

blue footed boobie fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 8, 2014

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Lenin Riefenstahl posted:

Where would my moral superiority be if arsenal were just truly awful dopers??!!?

Arsenal only uses organic, free-range, farm-to-table players.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Shoren posted:

He's had that injury all season. I'm betting it's "flared up" at the moment so he can rest during the international break.

Doubt it. Arsenal released him to the French team, and yet again, it was the national team who had to tell the Arsenal medical staff that their player was actually injured. :thumbsup:

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Bogan Krkic posted:

He's saying it's more about 'brand power' and 'selling potential' than actually being a successful football club. I don't agree, but United do seem to care a lot more about those things than other clubs, at least at face value

Modern football is about "brand power" and "selling potential" and lol if anyone cares about any table other than the Deloitte Money League Table.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Tomas Rosicky, who has barely played all season, is injured.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Jose posted:

Cheaper than what other teams?

Arsenal have super low priced tickets for some cup games, iirc.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...s_campaign=1490

Ozil heard a crack in his knee right before half time in the Chelsea game, and was told to play on. Arsenal physios apparently never followed up. Pretty shocking stuff, in this boobie's opinion.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

euroboy posted:

William Gallas has retired from football. Post your favorite Gallas moment itt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHEayBUzH8k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PTUMgpHPn0

That awful on the pitch pep talk he did with the camera circling him to show all the disinterested Arsenal players listening to him.

That time Adebayor told Bendtner he was poo poo and then Gallas spat on Bendtner.

That time Arsenal were getting destroyed by United and Nani did a seal dribble and then Gallas put in a ridiculous reducer tackle on him.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Newcastle is going to get bummed by Leicester and I'm really hoping Pardew gets fired

Pardew will never get fired. This is all a performance art exhibition that Ashley is putting on.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Thirteenth Step posted:

Sky Sports News HQ ‏@SkySpotrsNewsHQ 1 minute ago
Breaking: Arsenals Per Mertesacker has sprained his ankle in training and is expected to miss up to 3 weeks. #SSNHQ

This isn't true!

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Bea Nanner posted:

There's football tomorrow...

Excited to see Nacho "central defender" Monreal tomorrow.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

'Arry posted:

He [Taarabt] is not injured. He’s not fit. He’s not fit to play football unfortunately. He played in a reserve game the other day and I could have run about more than he did. I can’t pick him. I pick people who want to try, who deserve to be at a good football club like QPR, who come in every day and want to work, train and show a good attitude. When he starts doing that, if he ever can do it, maybe he’ll get a game.

We've got two or three of them but 99 per cent of the other lads … I've got a fantastic group of lads here, absolutely superb. I've just been asked a question [about Taarabt]. I can't keep protecting people, who don’t want to run about and train, and are about three stone overweight. What am I supposed to keep saying? Keep getting your 60, 70 grand a week and don't train? What's the game coming to?

I love Taraabt

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

It's great. He's not even in good shape for a normal person, much less than a professional athlete.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Weaponized Cum posted:

'Arry is at it again

This is my favorite thing to happen in the PL in years.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

euroboy posted:

I had a good time at the emirates. It was very nice and quiet until Welbz scored before the moans took over again.

Arsenal were absolute poo poo though, except Alexis who's amazing and Bellerin who looks like a tidy player. I feel like I got a very authentic Arsenal performance with a lot of sideways passing and very little end product against a well organised away side.

I'm glad you're a real fan now, OP.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Koscielny is now out indefinitely. I assume we'll see him in a couple years like what happened with Vermalean, Wilshere, and Rosicky.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
I actually just remembered that Vermalean and Rosicky actually disappeared for over a year with this exact same injury (Achilles tendinitis). So uh yeah, Wenger out.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
Gibbs and Arteta picked up injuries yesterday. Gibbs could be out for up to 6 weeks. This is hysterical.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

They should send him to the national team so they can figure out whether he's actually injured.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

TheGoatFeeder posted:

No Silva for 3 weeks, we're screwed :cry:

Chelsea were going to win the league anyway.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

TheGoatFeeder posted:

It is when he's the most vital one and you're already way way behind the leaders in terms if performances and points.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Gigi Galli posted:

It's shameful that neither managed to qualify for the CL but clubs do this all the time?

I don't think they do, though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Earthy Ape Unit posted:

Lmao can we stop pretending this isnt hosed up and demeaning?

Imagine the Seattle Seahawks playing the Toronto Argonauts (AC Milan level handeggers) in Japan or some poo poo during the first week of the playoffs that's how ridiculous this is.

Umm actually it's real smart and a good way to make money and not any sign of desperation and decline. And everyone does it anyway during the middle of the season, just look at

• Locked thread