Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
"Breckin" is still the bigger crime here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

Harlock posted:

The Pirates should drink hemlock if they lose to that lineup.

You rang?

Oh, and I think I didn't list the Giants because I forgot they were in it. I guess I'd still be OK with them winning it more than the Cardinals. Got lots of Giant fan friends who are really chill.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
In 18 years we'll be debating if Breckin Speer is high enough on the name tool scale to warrant rooting for.

What the gently caress is a Breckin?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

New Concept Hole posted:

Anyone to hit behind Panik or Posey. Also the bottom of the order is just one big question mark in terms of offense.

Panik isn't a question mark and Pence and Sandoval are? :psyduck:

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Schweinhund posted:

Panik isn't a question mark and Pence and Sandoval are? :psyduck:

In the leadup to the play-offs he's been pretty consistent in his approach and gotten a lot of hits. Pence chased everything for a month and so did Sandoval.

E: Also Sandoval and Pence technically weren't the question marks, Ishi/Belt/Crawford were.

New Concept Hole fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 2, 2014

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Derek Jeter is going to invent twitter.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/story/_/id/11621489/derek-jeter-launches-website-connect-athletes-fans

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

A bold move from a player who never said a single interesting thing in his entire 20 year career.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
wrong thread

fknlo fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Oct 2, 2014

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Welcome Pirates fans. Guns are to your left. Bullets extra.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
At least Hurdle can get his hip fixed now.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Orioles/Tigers is going to be a massacre. I won't be surprised if the Orioles don't get a single run the entire series.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Kawalimus posted:

Orioles/Tigers is going to be a massacre. I won't be surprised if the Orioles don't get a single run the entire series.

Can you keep your dumb shtick to the football threads?

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

davecrazy posted:

I have a closer bond to the Orioles than I do to the Ravens. I just like football better than baseball. The Orioles are the whole reason I got into birds. They were there when I was real young.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

davecrazy posted:

It's what he is, let him be.

Just be glad he never started a thread asking if Alex Ovechkin was an NHL caliber player.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

It's what he is, let him be.

Just be glad he never started a thread asking if Alex Ovechkin was an NHL caliber player.

I did start a thread if Ovechkin should be traded but not because he's a bad player or anything. I just didn't know if it would be a potential smart move. The Capitals were my very first sports team I followed. Actually the Baltimore Skipjacks were the first .

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
I know we have a jerseychat thread somewhere, but I can't find it sooo

I kinda want to buy a Pedro Martinez Expos jersey. What's the best place to look for this?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Wrong thread

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

Kawalimus posted:

I know this is how you are and I enjoy your posts in TFF, but come on. The Tigers won 90 games in the AL Central. They aren't some kind of superteam. We could field a lineup of 9 posters from this thread and put up a few runs against Detroit's bullpen.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I know this is how you are and I enjoy your posts in TFF, but come on. The Tigers won 90 games in the AL Central. They aren't some kind of superteam. We could field a lineup of 9 posters from this thread and put up a few runs against Detroit's bullpen.

I just don't see us denting that starting lineup at all.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Kevyn posted:

I know we have a jerseychat thread somewhere, but I can't find it sooo

I kinda want to buy a Pedro Martinez Expos jersey. What's the best place to look for this?

probably eBay.

and FWIW I think Detroit/Baltimore will be a good series.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Detroit hasn't even played a game yet and I'm annoyed at this horseshit.

quote:

Cabrera was sitting at his locker before the Tigers' workout Wednesday in Baltimore when Max Scherzer came by with a clipboard containing the sheets players must sign to receive their shares of the post-season playoff pool. That's money, real cash money.

"I'm not signing anything," Cabrera told Scherzer.

Teammate Victor Martinez, who had just signed, looked quizzically. Scherzer tried to explain. Cabrera was adamant with his refusal, at least for now. He could go back later and sign across the dotted line ... Martinez and Cabrera continued the discussion in Spanish, with Cabrera finally saying,

"I just want the ring." Meanwhile, Scherzer shrugged and walked away. "OK, more for us," he said.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
All Hail Giants Even Year Bullshit.

Don't fight it. Just give in. It will all be over soon.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Harlock posted:

He gave more money to other players, what's wrong with that?

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.
This is not the GDT either.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Rand alPaul posted:

He gave more money to other players, what's wrong with that?
Everybody wants to win. We don't need to suffer through a narrative of how his 'will to win' is somehow greater because he turned down money and is thusly more noble, better, etc.

Tedd_Not_Ed
Feb 16, 2014

I've seen games go perfect for 12 innings all for naught. I've seen no-hitters pitched on illicit drugs. Homer streaks lasting eight games and 20 run losses. I've seen pennants won and seasons collapse. All these memories will be lost in time. Like tears in the rain.

Time to die.

Harlock posted:

Welcome Pirates fans. Guns are to your left. Bullets extra.

V:

A. Bartlett Giamatti posted:

“It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops. Today, October 2 1, a Sunday Wednesday of rain and broken branches and leaf-clogged drains and slick streets, it stopped and summer was gone.”

In all fairness while I don't think it's possible to be any more dissapointed in this last game, I'm still quite pleased with how this season went. The Pirates went from being trying to keep fourth place to being within arm's reach of winning the division, and that's worth celebrating in and of itself. They had several players with career years, and I'm just amazed by how Josh Harrison went from "who?" on opening day to almost winning the batting title. Even Edinson Volquez had a pretty good year this year.

However I'm cautiously looking forward to next year. I don't think it's possible for all the key players to have another career year such as this, and with the way this front office is run I don't expect them to make any big moves. But then again I've been wrong before.

In short, there's alot to be proud of this season, and I'm thankful for that even with the outcome, and no matter what moves the Pirates do or don't make, I'll be there at PNC Park with a scorecard, bag full of water bottles, and a radio. I'm prepared for whatever may come.

Thanks for everything, Pirates.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Harlock posted:

Everybody wants to win. We don't need to suffer through a narrative of how his 'will to win' is somehow greater because he turned down money and is thusly more noble, better, etc.

How much money is he giving up? I need to know whether Cabrera is more or less virtuous than Phil Hughes.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
I believed in The Giants all the way.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Alan Trammell posted:

How much money is he giving up? I need to know whether Cabrera is more or less virtuous than Phil Hughes.

I don't think anyone is beating Gil Meche there any time soon.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

New Concept Hole posted:

N:
Blanco, G, CF
Panik, J, 2B
Posey, B, C
Sandoval, P, 3B
Pence, H, RF
Belt, B, 1B
Crawford, B, SS
Ishikawa, T, LF
Bumgarner, M, P
Even year bullshit, EYB

Quoting this right now because in a month this will go on record as the world series winning team, tia.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

I'll never get over how much Dallas Braden looks like Chris Elliott playing a car salesman moonlighting as a baseball analyst.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Your weird stat of the day, Brandon Crawford is the first SS to hit a grand slam in the postseason. Ever.

Enjoy that bullshit.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Harlock posted:

Cabrera is making more money per PA than the average michigan household does in a year but he doesnt care about the money because he turned down 300k he probably wouldnt have gotten anyway

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

Harlock posted:

Your weird stat of the day, Brandon Crawford is the first SS to hit a grand slam in the postseason. Ever.

Enjoy that bullshit.

More importantly: Brandon Crawford has more Grand Slams in the postseason than Derek Jeter.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

New Concept Hole posted:

More importantly: Brandon Crawford has more Grand Slams in the postseason than Derek Jeter.

...and A-Rod combined!

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Derek Jeter only had one grand slam in his career, so

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Somewhere, Jose Canseco just felt a strange disturbance in the Force.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kawalimus posted:

I won't be surprised if the Orioles don't get a single run the entire series.

:rolleyes:

The Tigers had a whopping 8 shutouts the entire season. You'll score runs. The Tigers will probably just score more.

GZA Genius
Jan 29, 2009
N: Giants win a game of baseball so they can play more baseball.

V: Being a giants fan in South Korea means going to the bar at 4am to catch game 1 of the Giants/Nats.

Even year,kiss the ringzzzzzz

(don't hurt us too bad Nats)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

zakharov posted:

Derek Jeter only had one grand slam in his career, so

So he already has more than the Jeets in the regular season too. TEAM CAPTAIN

• Locked thread