Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Alan Trammell posted:

I don't think people realize that the Tigers' current third baseman is worse defensively than Miguel Cabrera with a torn groin.

Yeah, Tigers fans have no problem thinking the Orioles could beat the living poo poo out of the Tigers. May or may not happen, but it's certainly possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I honestly forgot he still existed.

TenaciousJ
Dec 31, 2008

Clown move bro

Whodat Smith-Jones posted:

Or apparently not even broadcasters on the same network, because Jim Palmer and Gary Thorne are orders of magnitude better than the Nats' announcers

Both those guys bore the poo poo out of me when I try to watch O's games. F.P. Santangelo is a goofy mother fucker and doesn't care one bit how much of that comes through the broadcast. F.P. owns.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

zakharov posted:

This is interesting - FOX is doing a SABR alterna-cast for NLCS Game 1.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a-bit-outside/baseball-joe/blog/the-power-of-jabo-100114

Can't wait for a 'UZR is bullshit' photoshop on top of a stupid onfield graphic identifying the UZR zones.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck

TenaciousJ posted:

Both those guys bore the poo poo out of me when I try to watch O's games. F.P. Santangelo is a goofy mother fucker and doesn't care one bit how much of that comes through the broadcast. F.P. owns.

I'm sorry you've missed all the drinking and bullshitting they do

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Barry Bonds has discovered trolling, in case you wondered how he could top being the greatest baseball player ever

https://mobile.twitter.com/BarryBonds/status/517741754708004864

#bigheadbarry

Beller
Apr 9, 2009
I hear he is especially adept at "trolling" his mistresses.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
I've been searching for this video forever, and finally found it. It's low quality, but still, it's very interesting to me for two reasons. One, it's video of the time that Glavine had to plunk Dale Murphy in a game in Philadelphia because earlier, Roger McDowell had hit Otis Nixon with a pitch (which begat Nixon drop kicking McDowell) and after that melee, the first person Glavine had to face was Murphy. It's funny because he throws four changeups inside, missing on purpose, and on the last one, Murphy almost jumps out of the batter's box.

Two, at the end of the video, there is a highlight of the game when Eric Show hit Andre Dawson in the face and Rick Sutcliff and Andre Dawson try to kill Eric Show. I remember seeing it as a kid, and they were wheeling Dawson out of the Wrigley on a stretcher.

Unwritten rules and whatnot

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp

FairGame posted:

Why does nobody think the Orioles can beat the Tigers?

The Orioles hit SHITLOADS of home runs and had a better season than the Tigers. They also have proven playoff hero Delmon_Dogg.

Seriously--I think the Orioles are going to win this series, and I wouldn't even be all that surprised by a sweep.

gently caress Rob Neyer

I think every Tigers fan in SAS has been riding the variance wave so hard this season that there is no possible outcome of any aspect of the ALDS that would register as a complete surprise.

It's been some chaotic fun poo poo so far.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Pierzynski owns, I used to love going to Angel Stadium where they still boo him for the 2005 ALCS just to cheer him on.

Anyways, MLB has a great pitchface up for the division series:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

N: Since moving into a new place in July, I've been getting my roommate into baseball somewhat against his will. That is to say, I watch Dodger games most evenings and he ends up watching them with me because they're on. It is entertaining to see him discover things unprompted, having a basic understanding of the game but having never followed it before.

Last night, he observed that "Hunter Pence is an alien. He is what we must look like to lizards." But also, "I like his hustle"

He was flabbergasted by that A's-Royals game ("Wait, you're telling me the Royals have three really good relievers but they didn't bring one of them in to replace the starter? Why are they bunting so much?)

And his favorite Dodger is... Juan Uribe. ("How is that fat guy so good at defense??") But he also likes Justin Turner because "That's what I'd look like if I were a baseball player"

V: Baseball is cool make all your dumb baseball-hating friends watch baseball.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Joe Nathan reminds me of Lidge in '09 when he was awful all year and Manuel refused to remove him from closer. That ended with him losing a pivotal WS game. I'd bet Nathan screws the Tigers over too.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

bawfuls posted:

N: Since moving into a new place in July, I've been getting my roommate into baseball somewhat against his will. That is to say, I watch Dodger games most evenings and he ends up watching them with me because they're on. It is entertaining to see him discover things unprompted, having a basic understanding of the game but having never followed it before.

Last night, he observed that "Hunter Pence is an alien. He is what we must look like to lizards." But also, "I like his hustle"

He was flabbergasted by that A's-Royals game ("Wait, you're telling me the Royals have three really good relievers but they didn't bring one of them in to replace the starter? Why are they bunting so much?)

And his favorite Dodger is... Juan Uribe. ("How is that fat guy so good at defense??") But he also likes Justin Turner because "That's what I'd look like if I were a baseball player"

This is basically how I got into baseball - I watched a lot of White Sox games as a kid with my dad, lost interest in high school, but then watched a ton with Yankees/Red Sox/Dodgers fans who I lived with in college. So yes, go make all your dumb baseball-hating friends watch baseball right now

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/94766714/v36722985/nl-wc-pence-greets-each-teammate-with-new-handshake

Giants dugout, best dugout since 2010.

What's the opposite of a clubhouse cancer?

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Clubhouse radiation

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

Xenophon posted:

Pierzynski owns, I used to love going to Angel Stadium where they still boo him for the 2005 ALCS just to cheer him on.

Anyways, MLB has a great pitchface up for the division series:

Better step your pitchface game up, Mr. Tillman.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

JosefStalinator posted:

http://m.mlb.com/video/topic/94766714/v36722985/nl-wc-pence-greets-each-teammate-with-new-handshake

Giants dugout, best dugout since 2010.

What's the opposite of a clubhouse cancer?

Sometimes Hunter Pence reminds me of the creepy guy that blows himself up in Contact.

Other times he's just a cool guy that's kind of a nerd.

Dingleberry Jones
Jun 2, 2008
If I'm posting a new thread, it means there is a thread already posted and I failed at using the forum search correctly
That must be exhausting

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

bawfuls posted:

Your friend rules and Juan Uribe is a good choice.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

It will blow his mind if the Dodgers play the Giants in the NLCS.

"HOW DO BOTH OF THOSE FAT GUYS PLAY THIRD SO WELL?"

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

FairGame posted:

We've been watching games the last month pretty religiously, so he had that revelation during the Dodgers-Giants series last week. Also impressed with Pablo's over-the-rail catch last night.

It really blew his mind when I told him that this is "slimmed down" Pablo.

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
News: Game-time temperature tomorrow for Cardinals and Dodgers is supposed to be 99 degrees. The high for Saturday is predicted to be 102. LA is weird like this. July-August are usually really pretty nice, mid-September into October is when it occasionally gets ridiculously hot.

View: Traditionally on such hot days we get to wear polos at Dodger Stadium. Since it's the playoffs, we have to wear our usual wool suits, no exception. RIP guys, nice talking baseball with you.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe

zakharov posted:

This is interesting - FOX is doing a SABR alterna-cast for NLCS Game 1.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a-bit-outside/baseball-joe/blog/the-power-of-jabo-100114

This could be much more interesting if it were instead hosted by Hawk Harrelson and Mitch Alborn.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

A reminder that everyone who hates the Angels is a dumb idiot who was brainwashed by Yankees fans.

Go Angels. I'll be sitting in class with my phone on my lap so I can watch the game. Stupid 3 hour night class.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

MaoistBanker posted:

News: Game-time temperature tomorrow for Cardinals and Dodgers is supposed to be 99 degrees. The high for Saturday is predicted to be 102. LA is weird like this. July-August are usually really pretty nice, mid-September into October is when it occasionally gets ridiculously hot.

View: Traditionally on such hot days we get to wear polos at Dodger Stadium. Since it's the playoffs, we have to wear our usual wool suits, no exception. RIP guys, nice talking baseball with you.
Looking forward to drenching my Kershaw jersey in sweat tomorrow. :feelsgood:

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

cams posted:

A reminder that everyone who hates the Angels is a dumb idiot who was brainwashed by Yankees fans.

Strongly disagree.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

FairGame posted:

I bet crotchety old timers will bemoan the move of both of those teams.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Mike Trout is Jesus, if you hate Jesus, well you're just a big jerk.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

cams posted:

finally some sense in this thread

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Schweinhund posted:

Mike Trout is Jesus, if you hate Jesus, well you're just a big jerk.

True to life - I like Jesus. It's all his followers that are annoying shits.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Is it next season yet?

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/yankees-alex-rodriguez-calls-derek-jeter-leader-day-article-1.1960357

quote:

But Rodriguez did open up about the retiring Derek Jeter — A-Rod’s on-again, off-again frenemy — in an interview with ESPN the Magazine’s J.R. Moehringer, calling the Yankee captain “a leader from day one.”

“He’s been the head of his class in every way, both on the field and in terms of character. ... That’s hard to do. Being undefeated for 20 years? In New York City? That’s remarkable,” Rodriguez said in the Sept. 26 report, the day after Jeter’s last home game.

Rodriguez says that he watched Derek Jeter Day (Sept. 7), and lamented not being at the Stadium when Jeter was honored.

“When you realize, an hour before the game, 50,000 people are in their seats, ready to go, excited, energetic. When you see Michael Jordan and Cal Ripken, two of the biggest icons of my lifetime — I thought it was a great day. I’m sorry I wasn’t there,” said Rodriguez.

A-Rod said he planned to text Jeter that day, but thought better of it, so as not to be a distraction. “I’ve made it a point to stay in the penalty box,” he said. Instead, Rodriguez “opted to reach out to Derek in a private moment” several days later.

#FORG1V3

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Tony Phillips posted:

True to life - I like Jesus. It's all his followers that are annoying shits.
Don't get this one at all. To me, the more valid criticism of Angels fans is that there actually aren't very many of them and most people at the games are "filthy casuals".

But this is just me being defensive. Go Angels, everyone else can eat it.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

cams posted:

Don't get this one at all. To me, the more valid criticism of Angels fans is that there actually aren't very many of them and most people at the games are "filthy casuals".

But this is just me being defensive. Go Angels, everyone else can eat it.

Well, I'm an M's fan. So pretty much any other AL West fans are on THE LIST.

(I don't know a single Angels fan in real life.)

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I hope Trout never wins a ring so the media can't turn him into the next Jeter. Failing a PED test would help, too.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Traxis posted:

I hope Trout never wins a ring so the media can't turn him into the next Jeter. Failing a PED test would help, too.

Not to pick on you, but I see this kind of thing so much from Internet sports fans. Let's root against [objectively really cool thing happening] because of the fear of media coverage that's remarkably easy to ignore. If you're that negative that you'd hate media coverage more than you'd appreciate a remarkable sports feat, why do you watch sports?

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
My girlfriend left me to move to LA and be an Angels fan so fuuuuuuuuuck the angels

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

cams posted:

Go Angels. I'll be sitting in class with my phone on my lap so I can watch the game. Stupid 3 hour night class.

I'm pretty sure watching the Rally loving Monkey develop as my team pissed away 2002 caused me to hate the Angels.

gently caress the Angels all baseball teams south of Santa Cruz.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Drunk Tomato posted:

My girlfriend left me to move to LA and be an Angels fan so fuuuuuuuuuck the angels

you're better off mate

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

I hope lots of people believe the Onion story about Arod wearing #2 next year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Spoeank posted:

I'm pretty sure watching the Rally loving Monkey develop as my team pissed away 2002 caused me to hate the Angels.

gently caress the Angels all baseball teams south of Santa Cruz.

Man what did the Padres ever do? They're harmless.

• Locked thread