Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
i installed yosemite this morning and i like it a lot. like if i'm working i barely notice that im using a different OS but in finder and stuff im still "hey neato" all the time

i give it 3 days max until mavericks looks as bad as iOS6 did a week after 7 was out

everyone post your positive experiences with Mac OS X "Yosemite" GM Candidate itt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

the new os from cupertino is the most advanced operating system in the world

Chorrax
May 11, 2007

:wotwot:
your operating system enters my icky toilet everyday

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
nothing as clean and pretty as mac os yosemite has ever entered your house/life

i even like the new spotlight but its good that it autohides if you click outside of it

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
system 7 is the best looking mac os

Widdiful
Oct 10, 2012

what does it look like
im an idiot baby who cant use google

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
given apples record lately im not gonna install beta software from them

but it looks good op

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i only have public beta 4, op. :(

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
its on gm candidate now, you can get it from dev.apple.com without a mac dev account

everything works perfectly including all the xcode stuff but i guess its not a bad idea to have time machine. which you should have on anyway

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
os x yosemite is really great

i like new spotlight a lot

dark mode is kinda neat

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

agreed, the yos os is nice

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

a correct thread filled with largely correct replies op

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

poty posted:

given apples record lately im not gonna install beta software from them

It fixes some issues that made me have to reboot a lot, there are other rebootable issues in it, but you aren't supposed to talk about it becuase public preview is still nda

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
dark mode owns.
old style dock owns.

new icons are kinda eh

window chrome is kinda bad.

transparancy everywhere is bad.

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
dark mode should extend to 3rd party apps imo

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i hate to admit it but it does kind of give a kde vibe in certain places

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
gonna do a total system wipe

jony deserves a clean install

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

yosemite owns but new spotlight does not own

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
new spotlight is better it just needs to be smarter (typing "capitol of x" should give me a response like typing in "[movie name]" does)

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:

computer parts posted:

new spotlight is better it just needs to be smarter (typing "capitol of x" should give me a response like typing in "[movie name]" does)

put this in the feedback assistant they probably would fix that before it comes out. I really like yosemite it is much nicer looking than mavericks and i haven't run into any problems running things besides the Ubiquiti control center

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

computer parts posted:

maybe if you used the correct spelling of capitol :rolleyes:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Squeezy Farm posted:

maybe if you used the correct spelling of capitol :rolleyes:

this does link stuff but it's from wikipedia and it doesn't do everything (e.g., "capital of texas" doesn't bring up "austin")

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
goddam that folder icon wtf jony

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

newreply.php posted:

its on gm candidate now, you can get it from dev.apple.com without a mac dev account

i am dumb, can't see how yet (just have an iOS dev account)

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
the L&F is great, very consistent with iOS8, but really needs retina to shine especially the typography

I like being able to make/receive calls on my Mac in the office while my phone's charging in the bedroom, but they need to add a visual voicemail thing (you can kludge around it by dialling your own number to access voicemail like it's 1997)

continuity sounds great but my mac's too old to have BT4 so I can't use it, still holding out for retina MBA to upgrade

all in all a great upgrade at a great price

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.
Can you test if bluetooth is required to answer iOS8 text messages through Yosemite? Pretty sure I know the answer here but still holding out hope that older stuff without 4.0 bluetooth can still use some of the handoff/continuity features besides answering calls

Refuse to get rid of my 2009 iMac until they make one with an HDMI input, it's just too valuable to me right now to be able to use the mini displayport and hook stuff up to it as a TV

Slowly sinking in that I'll never be able to seamlessly answer texts from my desktop, something my lazy rear end has been hoping to be able to do since like 2007 :negative:

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
SMS relay isn't enabled yet but I can't imagine it would require different tech than the phone call integration which is done through wifi

not that you should be texting shameful green contacts anyway of course :colbert:

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Internaut! posted:

SMS relay isn't enabled yet but I can't imagine it would require different tech than the phone call integration which is done through wifi

not that you should be texting shameful green contacts anyway of course :colbert:

it works with the 8.1 beta

Mr. Onslaught
Jun 25, 2005

For you, it was the last time you would ever post in YCS. But for me...it was Tuesday.

theadder posted:

Over wifi?

Internaut! posted:

If you got my hopes up falsely I'm putting an Android Curse on you, send this iMessage to 10 other OS X users or ur PDFs will always cause your phone to overheat and stutter

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i dunno thats just the word on the street

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
is it your daily driver op?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

is it your daily driver op?

it hasnt been blessed yet

raruler
Oct 5, 2003

“Here lies a toppled god —
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.”

Mr. Onslaught posted:

Can you test if bluetooth is required to answer iOS8 text messages through Yosemite? Pretty sure I know the answer here but still holding out hope that older stuff without 4.0 bluetooth can still use some of the handoff/continuity features besides answering calls

Refuse to get rid of my 2009 iMac until they make one with an HDMI input, it's just too valuable to me right now to be able to use the mini displayport and hook stuff up to it as a TV

Slowly sinking in that I'll never be able to seamlessly answer texts from my desktop, something my lazy rear end has been hoping to be able to do since like 2007 :negative:

you can get a USB bluetooth dongle

also https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/intensity

edit:

nm on that dongle

quote:

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/06/18/bluetooth-le-adapters-handoff-no/

In discussing the limitations for Handoff support, some MacRumors forum members suggested that adding an inexpensive third-party Bluetooth LE adapter to an older Mac might be enough to add support for the feature. Unfortunately, several forum members have discovered that this does not appear to be the case.

One forum member has shared details of their testing, noting that in tests with a 2010 MacBook Air that does not include built-in support for Bluetooth LE, adding IOGEAR's Bluetooth 4.0 USB Micro Adapter works out of the box to add Bluetooth LE support to the machine, but does not enable support for Continuity features such as Handoff or AirDrop

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
lol someone done hosed up localizing strings though

"postcode" = "postal code" = "zip"

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!

newreply.php posted:

lol

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

newreply.php posted:

lol

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
honestly though ive had this for 2 days now and id like to preemptevily tell anyone who doesnt like it to gently caress off once it gets released

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

back before they disabled green message continuity I'm pretty sure it used wifi and iCloud to route the green bubbles

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

AWWNAW posted:

back before they disabled green message continuity I'm pretty sure it used wifi and iCloud to route the green bubbles

its back again what does it use now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

theadder posted:

doesn't seem to

• Locked thread