Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Did anyone else see the rubber ducky easter egg? I forget where it was and now I wish I had taken a sceenshot.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Nov 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
I'm stuck in propast. I'm doing the campaigning part and I've talked to queenie and found nela to talk about Hannah Roth. What do I do now? Nela refuses to talk to me about that subject.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

GoldenNugget posted:

I'm stuck in propast. I'm doing the campaigning part and I've talked to queenie and found nela to talk about Hannah Roth. What do I do now? Nela refuses to talk to me about that subject.

Be sure to check your "current objectives". I think it's either go back to Baruti or go home. Can't remember which.

GhostBoy
Aug 7, 2010

Mira posted:

Be sure to check your "current objectives". I think it's either go back to Baruti or go home. Can't remember which.

It's both, in that order.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I'm kinda pissed this game uses a cliche-du-jour artificial choice system.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Wow Propast is amazing. It's Blade Runner mixed with the city from Longest Journey, all condensed into an area that's big and varied enough to explore and get slightly lost in, but not too big so that it's boring or annoying to navigate.

I think I'm getting near the end of the chapter but I have no idea because I've spent so much time just wandering around and checking everything out. This is what I was really hoping the game would shape into. Also you can go back and talk to the major characters and there are so many extra, optional conversation branches that give little insights into the characters and world.

I'm glad to see I ended up with the adventures of Shitbot, what kind of job does she have if you pick a different path?

Hakkesshu posted:

Did anyone else see the rubber ducky easter egg? I forget where it was and now I wish I had taken a sceenshot.
Easter egg spoiler-ish screenshot:

I don't remember exactly where it was, somewhere around their apartment building I think?

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 2, 2014

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Apparently I missed when it's mentioned that Reza is an imposter in this game? I remember her mentioning he was "off" in Dreamfall, but either never got any indication of it in this game, or just somehow forgot it. I think it makes it clearer why so many people are nice to him at the end if it's not guaranteed that you learn he's not who you think he is.

Utritum
May 2, 2009
College Slice
It is elaborated a bit upon if you interact with Reza's picture in Storytime. Zoë doesn't have a rational explanation to why she was distrustful towards him in Dreamfall's ending, she just had a strong gut feeling that something was wrong about him, and she still notices from time to time that something seems "off" about him when he talks to her. But she forgets about it, at least on a concious level, when she wakes up.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Also at the very end of Dreamfall, her coma spirit-self definitively says "Careful, Dad. That's not him." when Reza comes into the room. That's what I was going off of, but I probably wouldn't have remembered that if I hadn't just replayed it.

CrusherEAGLE
Oct 28, 2007

Frosty Divine

Hakkesshu posted:

I stumbled across this thread and would consider this to be a spoiler, just fyi. It's the little things.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Finished it over a couple of nights. What a lovely game. Felt like meeting up with a friend for drinks after a decade of not seeing them.

You get thrown into the deep end early on and feel lost, but that's okay, you just keep moving forward and find your footing sooner or later, just like the characters. Tornquist's writing is as great as ever.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Also at the very end of Dreamfall, her coma spirit-self definitively says "Careful, Dad. That's not him." when Reza comes into the room. That's what I was going off of, but I probably wouldn't have remembered that if I hadn't just replayed it.

That's one of the things I remembered and was suitably creeped out by, and led to me being a jerk to that person this whole game. Felt good that the game consistently gave me that choice.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

I'm really interested to see where they take that part of the story, the writing's too good to just handwave the end of Dreamfall away, but it has been seven years. Maybe it will turn out to be something less insidious; who/whatever he is has seemed to play the part pretty convincingly for a long time. Until we find out for sure though, he's getting treated accordingly.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Judging from the ending of the Zoe's chapter The whole spy bug on the ceiling fan and being monitored by some guy in a black suit I think it's pretty obvious that someone WATIcorp is keeping a close tap on Zoe.

A big question I have is who exactly is Queenie. You can question her about her real name and the scene implied to me that she was may have been someone we have met before, but can't think of anyone other than Lady Alvane. BUT that wouldn't make much sense considering the intermission chapter.

D_W fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 4, 2014

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I'm really interested to see where they take that part of the story, the writing's too good to just handwave the end of Dreamfall away, but it has been seven years. Maybe it will turn out to be something less insidious; who/whatever he is has seemed to play the part pretty convincingly for a long time. Until we find out for sure though, he's getting treated accordingly.

I hadn't played Dreamfall since it came out, but iirc Zoe follows Reza across the world to some drug den and she ends up finding a giant blood stain, and then the trail goes cold. And then he's not really mentioned again. About 3/4th through I remember being like, wait, he's actually dead as a doornail and Zoe's kinda in denial? When he conveniently shows up in the epilogue like nothing's wrong, yeah that's super suspicious.

Also it's revealed the people who were helping Zoe in Dreamfall were hunted down and killed by the corporation while she was in the coma.
Like on one hand you have stuff like Shitbot, but then the actual story is dark as gently caress.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

D_W posted:

A big question I have is who exactly is Queenie. You can question her about her real name and the scene implied to me that she was may have been someone we have met before, but can't think of anyone other than Lady Alvane. BUT that wouldn't make much sense considering the intermission chapter.

I saw fan speculation that she's one of the Draic Kin, which is compelling, but again just speculation.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Were there any other Draic Kin besides Cortez, McAllen, The Blue, and the new White?

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Nope. Just Red, Green, Blue, and White.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Scorchy posted:

I hadn't played Dreamfall since it came out, but iirc Zoe follows Reza across the world to some drug den and she ends up finding a giant blood stain, and then the trail goes cold. And then he's not really mentioned again. About 3/4th through I remember being like, wait, he's actually dead as a doornail and Zoe's kinda in denial? When he conveniently shows up in the epilogue like nothing's wrong, yeah that's super suspicious.

Also it's revealed the people who were helping Zoe in Dreamfall were hunted down and killed by the corporation while she was in the coma.
Like on one hand you have stuff like Shitbot, but then the actual story is dark as gently caress.

Not quite. Reza was forced into the Dreamer and had his dreams stolen by the Wati Corp CEO guy, the giant green guy hooked up to tubes and poo poo. He's not dead as a doornail, just mind wiped and reprogrammed (dead after a fashion I guess).

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Wow, I never put that together completely. That would make a lot of sense though. I do remember the CEO Blob guy saying that he was dead, but lying wouldn't be the worst thing he'd done. The reprogramming and mind wiping part hasn't really been touched on in the games, has it? I guess it would follow reason they'd have the ability to do something like that, the twins were probably a result of it.

Also I don't know how long the soundtrack for this chapter has been up, but you can get it on the Humble site now if you did one of the soundtrack tiers. It's really good.

ALSO also Steam Card Exchange has all the trading card and backgrounds up for downloading, they make great wallpapers: http://www.steamcardexchange.net/index.php?gamepage-appid-237850
I actually like them better than the wallpapers they released to backers, I wasn't very impressed with those.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Wow, I never put that together completely. That would make a lot of sense though. I do remember the CEO Blob guy saying that he was dead, but lying wouldn't be the worst thing he'd done. The reprogramming and mind wiping part hasn't really been touched on in the games, has it? I guess it would follow reason they'd have the ability to do something like that, the twins were probably a result of it.

I'm pretty sure that it's mentioned when Zoe first meets Damien, that they plan to use the machines/have been using them to plant new memories in people.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Elenkis posted:

I'm pretty sure that it's mentioned when Zoe first meets Damien, that they plan to use the machines/have been using them to plant new memories in people.

Yeah, that exactly.
http://youtu.be/Qe3UIuprqnQ?t=9m06s
Blob guy did say he's "dead" but the implication is his personality. http://youtu.be/2FLV29oVO_0?t=10m28s Reza after that is a drone or something.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I saw fan speculation that she's one of the Draic Kin, which is compelling, but again just speculation.

That's would almost make sense actually. As we know at least the White revives after death in a way. The Red and Green (ie the Stark dragons) are possibly dead. Last we saw of them they were falling. Supposed the Blue as "gone silent." Maybe it isn't in Arcadia anymore? According to Ragnar Tornquist (the series' writer) Cortez is supposed to appear in Chapters in some way. Queenie does have similar eyes to Cortez. Queenie being either the Red or the Green (probably the green considering all green she wears) would make much more sense than her being Lady Alvane. The Baby from the interlude is probably Lady Alvane and a reincarnation of April anyway.

halwain
May 31, 2011
Another interesting thing You can see the guy who is listening to Zoe with the bug hanging around the cafe in front of her appartment.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Just thought I'd mention -- a few of the digital extras are available on the humble page.

Still no sign of Journeys: Birth, even though it was slated for November 1.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Soundtrack is up too.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I barely remember any of Dreamfall other than the creepy witch doctor telling her about the Storytime at the end, and the whole finale and epilogue being hosed up dark.

Oh, and April dying in a pretty of the cuff and undramatic way.

Probably should do something to refresh my memory... I still remember TLJ perfectly, for the most part.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
I have a question about the first game in the series. I'm on Chapter 6, right at the beginning before the Chaos Storm hits. The issue I have is that I applied the bind magic potion to the talisman, thinking I could bind the Chaos storm or something, but making a google search I found out I wasn't supposed to combine the two until Chapter 13. Is this something that's gonna stop me from finishing the game (i.e. should I reload from my hour old savegame,) or does it not matter when you apply the potion?

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Joda posted:

I have a question about the first game in the series. I'm on Chapter 6, right at the beginning before the Chaos Storm hits. The issue I have is that I applied the bind magic potion to the talisman, thinking I could bind the Chaos storm or something, but making a google search I found out I wasn't supposed to combine the two until Chapter 13. Is this something that's gonna stop me from finishing the game (i.e. should I reload from my hour old savegame,) or does it not matter when you apply the potion?

It's not a Sierra game. You can't permanently screw yourself.

vmdvr
Aug 15, 2004
Watch out for Snakes!

Joda posted:

IIRC the potions don't "run out" until you literally don't need them anymore, so if you're not supposed to apply it yet, you should still have some in your inventory. If not, it's a bug.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

vmdvr posted:

IIRC the potions don't "run out" until you literally don't need them anymore, so if you're not supposed to apply it yet, you should still have some in your inventory. If not, it's a bug.

I don't have it in my inventory, but I'm all the way to chapter 9 by now, so I think I'll just keep playing and hope applying the potion set some kind of global flag. Otherwise I'll have to watch a video or something for the last part of the game. Unless I'll have to make some kind of choice by the end?

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Joda posted:

I don't have it in my inventory, but I'm all the way to chapter 9 by now, so I think I'll just keep playing and hope applying the potion set some kind of global flag. Otherwise I'll have to watch a video or something for the last part of the game. Unless I'll have to make some kind of choice by the end?

Naw. There's no major choices in the first game outside of a few minor things (like staying home or going to the bar.)

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?

Joda posted:

I did the exact same thing as you the first time I played ages ago, and it worked out OK. You just don't have to do that step later.

halwain
May 31, 2011
Ive been replaying The longest Journey and theres something interesting concerning the ending. When April meets Lady alvane the first time she enters the Room with the Fireplace
trough the same Door as saga. Lady Alvane even says ''You brought yourself here but yes I opened a doorway for you''. Maybe Saga is April reborn or something? Maybe its important that she was
burned and she revives lieke a phoenix (Im mostly basing this because queenie seems to be important and the phoenix is a symbol of Balance in chinese mythology).

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

halwain posted:

Ive been replaying The longest Journey and theres something interesting concerning the ending. When April meets Lady alvane the first time she enters the Room with the Fireplace
trough the same Door as saga. Lady Alvane even says ''You brought yourself here but yes I opened a doorway for you''. Maybe Saga is April reborn or something? Maybe its important that she was
burned and she revives lieke a phoenix (Im mostly basing this because queenie seems to be important and the phoenix is a symbol of Balance in chinese mythology).

The thing with that though is that April most likely marries Kian, hence Lady Alvane, so unless Saga ages super fast I don't think she's going to be April.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Accordion Man posted:

The thing with that though is that April most likely marries Kian, hence Lady Alvane, so unless Saga ages super fast I don't think she's going to be April.

There's some major problems with your assumptions here:

-Lady Alvane's name might be her maiden name. It could have been her significant other's name, or one she choose to adopt latter.
-Kian and April are related to her by blood. We just don't have any information on how Kian is related to her. With April, very little.
-Her house follows the same time as Stark and Arcadia. It's a trans-dimensional house that exists beyond either world.

Most likely: Saga is a reincarnated April and possibly Lady Alvane. She most likely also has the same connection with the White as April did if this is the case as the dialogue was very similar to something the White would say.

D_W fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Nov 10, 2014

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

D_W posted:

There's some major problems with your assumptions here:

-Lady Alvane's name is her maiden name.

Really? When do we learn that? Or is it something Ragnar said?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The Azadi are explicitly matriarchal, though. And possibly matrilineal. It seems unlikely that women would be the ones to take on the male's last name by marriage in that culture.

Jarnet
Jan 7, 2007

Jsor posted:

The Azadi are explicitly matriarchal, though. And possibly matrilineal. It seems unlikely that women would be the ones to take on the male's last name by marriage in that culture.

I'm going to go ahead and throw out the wild assumption that Kian sheds himself of all things Azadi by the end of his story.

I'm not sure how invested to be in any of this speculation, but I've spent a little bit thinking about it and at face value, I'm guessing (TLJ/Dreamfall spoilers, obviously):

- The spirit in the House of All Worlds is White, presumably ripped from her body after being hosed up by The Undreaming masquerading as Westhouse. She calls Saga sister-daughter, the same thing/s that we heard White call April a few different times.

- Jacob McAllen is Dead As gently caress, reborn as Etta. Not just because she's all green and teal'd out, but because she could feel White's presence, and not her mind. In the Dark People's Library in Dreamfall, White talks about how she's lost connection with the other Kin. I'm guessing we'll find out the source for that disconnect soon, and that it wasn't as simple as "Red/Green died in crazy lightning dragon battle."

If Saga was born to Green, and we don't know April's mother but know that White considers her a daughter, we can assume that Saga shares April's status of being kin, but not Kin. If that makes sense.

- This means that April and Saga are two (of possibly many, including Lady Alvane) incarnations of, effectively, the same soul, reborn into the story wherever her influence is needed to bring forth the Reunification of the Two Worlds. We were shown Saga's birth immediately after April's funeral in the intro cutscene, which may or may not be a red herring, but it would make sense if that were the intention.

- Regarding Lady Alvane - during the epilogue of TLJ, Crow says something about April, and the events of TLJ being "his favorite story," I'm pretty sure. I might just be making that up but the part of me that vaguely remembers the epilogue is led to believe that Crow alludes to April herself being one story of many of Lady Alvane.
edit: I lied I guess I made that up hur hur. http://youtu.be/4ufqK9biJ60?t=1m10s But here's the bit with Crow, also alluding to aforementioned reuniting of worlds.

- Queenie is just loving cool old mob boss who doesn't have time for anybody's bullshit.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Jarnet fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 9, 2014

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

OK now I'm going to have to replay Longest Journey again, I don't remember most of this. Any reason to go for the GoG or Steam versions specifically, do they both play equally nice with Windows 7? I haven't reinstalled from my original discs since I was using XP, and they're now a no go :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I don't think McAllen is dead though. I know Ragnar has said that Cortez isn't dead, he's just been off somewhere. So I don't think it'd be a huge leap to say McAllen might still be alive.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

OK now I'm going to have to replay Longest Journey again, I don't remember most of this. Any reason to go for the GoG or Steam versions specifically, do they both play equally nice with Windows 7? I haven't reinstalled from my original discs since I was using XP, and they're now a no go :(
I'd say go with GOG just because you get all the bonus goodies. The Steam version works just fine though.

• Locked thread