Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jarnet
Jan 7, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

I don't think McAllen is dead though. I know Ragnar has said that Cortez isn't dead, he's just been off somewhere. So I don't think it'd be a huge leap to say McAllen might still be alive.

It certainly wouldn't, you're right. I realize the significance of it turning out that way being very yin+yang, Balance oriented, but I like to think that was a clearly defined battle in which Cortez kicked McAllen's stupid Green Dragon balls off. :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

OK now I'm going to have to replay Longest Journey again, I don't remember most of this. Any reason to go for the GoG or Steam versions specifically, do they both play equally nice with Windows 7? I haven't reinstalled from my original discs since I was using XP, and they're now a no go :(
Yeah I feel like I need to replay TLJ / Dreamfall again despite having played each of them at least 3 or 4 times over. Just guess not in the past 5 years, so my memory is probably very shoddy.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I imagine that playing TLJ probably isn't as necessary as Dreamfall: TLJ. Even the side characters you may need to be reminded of for the next parts of Chapters show up in Dreamfall. And it seems that Zoe's experiences from Dreamfall simply have the much bigger part.

Not that you shouldn't go through TLJ again anyways because its great.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Magnus looks like Zack Lee

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

CharlesM posted:

Magnus looks like Zack Lee

I thought he was blonde.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It's been while but didn't Halloway's goons kill Zack when they raided the Border Horse?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Kibayasu posted:

I imagine that playing TLJ probably isn't as necessary as Dreamfall: TLJ. Even the side characters you may need to be reminded of for the next parts of Chapters show up in Dreamfall. And it seems that Zoe's experiences from Dreamfall simply have the much bigger part.

Not that you shouldn't go through TLJ again anyways because its great.

Mmmm I think they're both necessary. So many of the allusions will be incomprehensible without playing both. Honestly, if I had to tell someone to play one of TLJ or DF, I would say TLJ, because as cool as DF and DFC are, they're part of the broader Balance storyline, which you need TLJ to follow.

Gah, how frustrating to think the whole thing is going to take another decade to finish, including TLJ 2.

I found it really strange when I saw the Red Thread Games stream playing Dreamfall and Ragnar seemed like a bit of a dweeb, when he writes so fantastically. Worldbuilding, characters, dialogue, he's good at it all. Real world persiflage is apparently not his thing.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Riven posted:

I thought he was blonde.

Zack had black hair.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
After initial apathy towards the game thanks to these awkward initial dream sequences at the start, I continued and finished this "book one". Like, that's it? Bumbling around doing a bunch of lovely errands?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Combat Pretzel posted:

After initial apathy towards the game thanks to these awkward initial dream sequences at the start, I continued and finished this "book one". Like, that's it? Bumbling around doing a bunch of lovely errands?
It's building up and taking time to introduce the world and characters, something that was a big strength of the Longest Journey and Dreamfall. Unfortunately, with the episodic release schedule, it hasn't built up TO anything yet, which I can see as a very valid complaint. I still loved every minute of it.

e: I thought I remembered posting it in this thread, but it turns out it was the adventure games thread, but basically the slow start is one of the things I've always loved about The Longest Journey, and to a lesser extent Dreamfall. All the completely optional conversations and exploration are done really well and make you actually care about what happens to the characters when the dramatic story really kicks in.

RightClickSaveAs fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 10, 2014

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

TLJ and Dreamfall started slow too.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I, for one, am holding off on playing it until it's all out... playing TLJ through again and then watching the LP of Dreamfall to build up to it and refresh my memory since it's been almost a decade since I played them.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah,that's always been one of the series' strengths and Chapters does a really good job of it. Baruti's a nice example, if you just move on without talking with the dude you miss out a lot that already makes him a pretty likable character. I actually gave a poo poo when when London was hassling him.They also did a lot of worldbuilding for Stark that was rather lacking in the previous games that I also liked.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Did I miss something completely obvious or did Dreamfall leave us with like a million unresolved plot points? Like sure, we learn about Faith and we resolve that particular thread, but the vast majority still seems to be up in the air. For instance, what the gently caress is the connection between the Azadi, their tower, the Dreamer/Dreamtime/WATIcorp and the cave?, what did
Brian Westhouse do to the White Draic Kin?, who is the White Lady and why would she tell Zoë that she saved April? I assume it's either the White Draic Kin or Ms. Gilmore, and they heavily telegraphed that saving April was about Zoë making her face her inner demons, but none of that seems to come to any kind of fruition and they just kind of brush over the whole sister thing. And they completely brushed over what Storytime is or why Zoë had to tell her story to that witch doctor or whatever.

It seems to me like they created a giant clusterfuck of plot lines, which all seemed interesting, then ran out of budget and decided to just resolve the one, which is frustrating as hell. One of the great things about TLJ was that everywhere you went felt like a real place and contained a subplot all to itself, while still moving the overarching plot forward, but most of that seems gone in Dreamfall.

Also, that was an awful way to kill off April.

Joda fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Nov 10, 2014

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

Ragnar has said before that all of those loose threads will be addressed in Chapters.

It is pretty nice to see them laid out like that after years of having not played Dreamfall.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Joda posted:

Did I miss something completely obvious or did Dreamfall leave us with like a million unresolved plot points?

Dreamfall always was only the first half of the originally planned sequel to TLJ. With Dreamfall Chapters, we'll finally get the second half.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Fuzz posted:

Zack had black hair.

Well clearly I need to play it again.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Mira posted:

Ragnar has said before that all of those loose threads will be addressed in Chapters.

It is pretty nice to see them laid out like that after years of having not played Dreamfall.

That's good, I hate it when it's like a TV show like Lost and they keep adding stuff without answering any questions. I guess they answered some stuff in Lost but you know what I mean. Ragnar obviously seems to have it all thought out though, unlike the lost guys.

For Brian Westhouse in Dreamfall, I'd like to believe it wasn't him. There was also something wrong with the Dark One captain. It's left ambiguous, unless I missed something.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Ragnar has had all this planned out for years so its definitely ain't going to end up like Lost.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Just finished Book 1 and boy does it feel like a return to form in a huge way. One of my biggest gripes with Dreamfall was how god awful the pacing seemed. In TLJ you spent the first couple of hours just getting to know April, and going through her routines and such, whereas in Dreamfall you get arrested by EYE agents like 20 minutes into the game, go trotting the globe and have an awkward romantic moment with a guy you met the day before. I know someone was complaining about nothing happening in Book 1, but I feel like it suits the nature of the story a lot more. Plus I'm glad they've returned to focusing on narrative mechanics, in stead of having half-assed hacking/lockpicking mini games and stealth sections.

Mind, I only learnt about the existence of this series like a week ago, and half considered giving up halfway through Dreamfall, but I'm glad I stuck it out. If Chapters continues like this it could easily become one of my favourite game series.

E: Also, the whole rebirth motif is quite fitting considering how you get to know Zoë all over, and I actually give a poo poo about her character now.

E2:

CharlesM posted:

For Brian Westhouse in Dreamfall, I'd like to believe it wasn't him. There was also something wrong with the Dark One captain. It's left ambiguous, unless I missed something.

That would make sense too. More sense really, considering I got the impression he was trustworthy, but the Dark People don't really make any sound when they move. I just thought the Shadow Guide's issue had something to do with the dream tower or whatever interfering with his "signal" to the joint memory.

Joda fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Nov 10, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Joda posted:

I know someone was complaining about nothing happening in Book 1, but I feel like it suits the nature of the story a lot more.[/spoiler]
Eh, given the quasi-impromptu introduction of the episodic format, some meaty bits as a cliffhanger would have been nice. Something else than running around as a toddler and having some badly animated ghost talk some mumbojumbo..

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

CharlesM posted:

Really? When do we learn that? Or is it something Ragnar said?

Ack! that is a typo. There should have been a "might" in there somewhere.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Combat Pretzel posted:

Eh, given the quasi-impromptu introduction of the episodic format, some meaty bits as a cliffhanger would have been nice. Something else than running around as a toddler and having some badly animated ghost talk some mumbojumbo..

I liked that. It was weird and raised a lot of questions and I found it visually interesting because of the contrast to the rest of the DFC so far.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

And it wasn't entirely mumbojumbo since it's teasing stuff in a way that's thematically consistent with the previous two games : the White of the Kin (April's mother) dying in TLJ, the new one (her sister) being killed off in Dreamfall. So that interlude is building into what will presumably be April Ryan's arc in Chapters.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

So the most recent save is what will go through to the next book right? Anyone know where the saves are stored so you could save it somewhere else so you can play with the choices and just drop back in your "real" save when part 2 comes out?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

hangedman1984 posted:

So the most recent save is what will go through to the next book right? Anyone know where the saves are stored so you could save it somewhere else so you can play with the choices and just drop back in your "real" save when part 2 comes out?

Yes, that's correct.
Save locations:
code:
    Windows: %appdata%\Roaming\RedThreadGames\DreamfallChapters\
    Linux: ~/.config/RedThreadGames\DreamfallChapters/
    Mac: ~/.config/RedThreadGames\DreamfallChapters/

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

macnbc posted:

Yes, that's correct.
Save locations:
code:

Much appreciated

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I just realized, the SW system would make for a great system for Avatar, the Last Airbender... have bending styles as careers, then do specializations within them... could work.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

macnbc posted:

Yes, that's correct.
Save locations:
code:

hangedman1984 posted:

Much appreciated

The file "StoryFlags.data" is the one specifically used for the next chapter.

Jarnet
Jan 7, 2007

I played through the game twice and noticed in the list of saves ingame that all of the autosaves were present for both, think I could just hit up the last interlude chapter and save manually to send it to the top of the list?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah, that's what they said on the Red Thread forums.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
According to the newest KS update #69 (it contains some spoilers & teasers for the next chapter) there is a 1.1.2 patch coming this week that should improve memory usage in some areas (mostly for people with 3 GB of ram, although everyone should probably benefit from it). Additionally, RTG plans to have a more significant 1.2 patch down the road and is asking for suggestions over at the steam forums and their own forum.

Also, there's a Voodooman guy on the Steam forum who is working on unofficial patches experimenting and aiming to fix the bugged flare effects and weird lighting in some areas (most obvious in Europolis). From what I've seen, his latest patches seem to provide some nice options, including entirely removing those random flares and/or the blurring at the screen edges, while maintaining other effects intact. In his posts over at those forums, he comes across as super pissed with some of the bugs or developers' choices (and the lack of proper manual saving system), and even though I think he is making a valid point with quite a lot of the stuff he criticises, his tone and walls of text will probably get a lot of other people there mad at him.

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Nov 24, 2014

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Oh wow that guy does seem quite upset. I think some of the lighting effects are a bit over the top, but most of it seems like a deliberate design decision rather than bugs to me. It's supposed to be THE FUTURE after all, lens flares are par for the course! Either way, having mods available never hurt anything, so more power to him.

Any speculation on when the next book will be out? I haven't followed the Red Thread forums much, last I heard he plans to have them all out by mid-2015 I think. If that's a realistic schedule the next one should be not too far off?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
The target for the last book seems to be September 2015 going by something some members in RTG forums have written.

For book Two, I'd say they are aiming for January or February 2015 at the latest, but I have nothing to back this up.

longtimelurker
Mar 12, 2006