Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I root for a Big Ten team and could not possibly care less that the conference sucks. That makes it more likely that Northwestern can beat other lovely teams and go to a lovely bowl game. They will never be in contention for a playoff spot, so I'd rather be in a glorified MAC than playing real teams and getting annihilated every week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

MourningView posted:

We were 3 or 4 in the BCS at some point in 09, which was hilarious.

:smug:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Idiot Kicker posted:

I wonder if the style of play has anything to do with it. People think of the Big 10 as a low-scoring, methodical offense conference, and a lot of their games are played in the early afternoon. The SEC has started to see more scoring, they've gained the reputation as being the premier conference, and they get a lot of prime-time games and media attention. I think that means a lot to young guys. The Pac-12 has established itself as kind of this finesse, high-scoring group, which is also appealing to "skill position" players.
Whether fair or not, I think the reputations above matter. Maybe weather plays a small part too? LA, Tempe, and Gainesville vs. Ann Arbor, Evanston, and Iowa City... probably not a big factor but it would be for someone like me.

I'm sorry, you are mistaken, recruits are clamoring to play for Chicago's Big Ten Team in one of America's great college football cities.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Mahoning posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Big Ten players still getting drafted at a pretty steady clip despite this decade of mediocrity?

If so, it would point the finger more at coaching than a lack of talent.

Michigan State is Backup Quarterback U

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Speaking of the Big Ten, a Big Ten Man would have found the typo in the thread title.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

We should have realized that the Big Ten was hosed when Northwestern won three Big Ten championships in 6 years.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

Illinois needs to bring back Zook.

I would be happy if Tim Beckman remained at Illinois forever.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Big Ten sucks, but we're taking all of you chumps down with us.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Big loses

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sash! posted:

This time, someone else that's not Ficken loses a game because of a missed extra point!

It wasn't a missed extra point, it was going for two instead of overtime because Pat Fitzgerald is a hero and refused to subject the country to more Northwestern/Michigan football in 2014 and then Trevor Siemian fell down on his buttocks you philistine.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The thread title still says "Big Loses," a Michigan man would

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

And Northwestern
And Purdue

Northwestern owns, chump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles