Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Clash of Cultures is a 4X-style empire builder game by Christian Marcussen that I think is pretty nifty! Players take control of competing civilizations at the dawn of history and try to develop them throughout history. It does a good job of emulating the feel of classic 4X games like Sid Meier's Civilization while avoiding a lot of the pitfalls of the genre--it's relatively streamlined and there is an emphasis on cultural development over simply being the biggest bully on the block (it is theoretically possible to win even after being wiped out.)

One thing that separates CoC from a lot of its civ-building brethren is that each civilization starts out completely generic, with no distinguishing characteristics or real-world theme. There is an expansion pack, Clash of Cultures: Civilizations, coming in the near future that will change this. But I'm still new to CoC (having only been introduced by Stelas's ongoing PBF) and the base game is shiny enough for me, so rather than waiting and learning a bunch of new stuff I've decided to get another forum game going.

Speaking of Stelas, I've ganked his condensed rule sheet to help get a quick overview of the game. Thanks Stelas! The complete rulebook is also available in PDF form if you want to get into the details.

I am looking for four players (preferably ones who aren't playing in the other thread already) who can commit to actively participating for what is likely to be at least 3-4 months. PMs are required for sharing the contents of player hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

I'm in. never played, but it looks like fun.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

I'd like in. I've never played before either.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Lemme try!

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Uh, sure, okay.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
If there's additional interest posted I'll pick players via RNG late tonight/early tomorrow morning, otherwise we'll just roll with you four. Game should begin tomorrow.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
This sounds wonderful. I'll give it a shot.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

I'm interested

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
"You can 'Build' a number of units equal to the size of the city" says the action Build Units. Does this mean if I have a size 4 city, paying 1 food and 1 ore would get me 4 armies on it? Or would I need to pay for each army individually, but can do so up to 4 times as part of a single activation?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Jon Joe posted:

"You can 'Build' a number of units equal to the size of the city" says the action Build Units. Does this mean if I have a size 4 city, paying 1 food and 1 ore would get me 4 armies on it? Or would I need to pay for each army individually, but can do so up to 4 times as part of a single activation?

It's the latter. You can also build any mix of units you want, so as a single action a size 4 city could for example build 2 armies, a settler, and a ship (assuming it had a port) for a total of 4 food/2 ore/2 wood.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
One other important question: The quickguide for bartering says: AAA: Exchange up to 3 resources into a mix of Gold or Culture tokens.

In the pdf, under civic improvement's relevant advances, it lists spirituality as: Resources (excluding Ideas) can be used as Mood tokens for “Civic Improvement” at a 1:1 rate.

This leads me to believe that ideas are counted as resources, and can therefore be exchanged for gold through bartering. Is this true?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Jon Joe posted:

One other important question: The quickguide for bartering says: AAA: Exchange up to 3 resources into a mix of Gold or Culture tokens.

In the pdf, under civic improvement's relevant advances, it lists spirituality as: Resources (excluding Ideas) can be used as Mood tokens for “Civic Improvement” at a 1:1 rate.

This leads me to believe that ideas are counted as resources, and can therefore be exchanged for gold through bartering. Is this true?

You are correct, ideas are resources and are eligible for use with bartering.

Depending on your interpretation, you can either think of it as either selling your knowledge and technical expertise or coming up with financial innovations to scam investors with.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

This looks cool as balls and I love German board games, but I can't count on being available every single day right now. I'll be watching this with interest though!

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
Put me in the hat to play

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Me too.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm definitely keeping an eye on this, I love the game something fierce. Don't put me in the hat, though.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
OK, we're ready to go! Players are:

Mykkel as Green
A RICH WHITE MAN as Blue
Jon Joe as Yellow
Impermanent as Red

PMs with your starting hands will be coming shortly.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
ROUND 1, TURN 1, PLAYER 1 (Mykkel)

Quick Rules | Rulebook | Player Aid

Mykkel, you're up. Post your three actions.
Everyone: Please confirm that you've received your card PMs. You can also feel free to PM me or post advance orders for your turn, since there's not going to be a lot of change in board state between turns this early on.

Just so everyone's clear about what they're looking at on the status boards:

The five round markers are the five resources. Green is food, gray is ore, bright yellow with yellow border is gold, yellow with black border is ideas, golden-brown with a dull brown border is wood (wood and gold do unfortunately tend to blur together, they really could have differentiated colors more.) Their position on the track is how many resources of that type you have--everyone starts at 2 Food, which is the maximum you can hold at one time until you research Storage. You can have up to 8 of each other resource (the highest position on the track.)

The two pointer markers with the blue face and yellow smiley are your Culture and Mood levels respectively. These markers are different in that they show your maximum Culture/Mood; the number next to them is the number of Culture/Mood tokens you currently own. You get +1 current and maximum Culture or Mood whenever you research a blue (Culture) or yellow (Mood) advance, and when one of the Culture or Mood markers reaches a box with "Event!" you immediately draw and resolve an event card.

Green status (Mykkel):

Blue status (A RICH WHITE MAN):

Yellow status (Jon Joe):

Red status (Impermanent):

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 3, 2014

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

:munch: Please note my rules do kind of gloss over some stuff about combat and how it works, especially any complex advance rules. When in doubt check the actual rulebook, though my list will at least get you playing pretty quickly. (The rulebook is pretty light anyways, really.)

Stelas fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 3, 2014

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

I got my stuff

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Got my PM! Thanks!

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Got my PM.
My 3 actions:
1. Activate City:Build Settler
2. Move Both Settlers
3. Move Both Settlers

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I have my PM! So excited!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Where are you moving your settlers? EDIT: And specifically, which hex are they moving to first? I assume you're entering the unexplored region next to you, so the second move will depend on the terrain they encounter, but note that the direction you enter it from may have an effect on the placement of terrain (whichever hex you enter first will be guaranteed not to be a water hex.)

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Oct 3, 2014

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

e: nvm

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Can I use one action to move both settlers one separate hex? If so I'll have one go to 5C and 4D. If they have to go to the same hex then both to 5C.

Also I'm moving a relative this weekend so my response time might be lengthy.

Mykkel fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 4, 2014

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Mykkel posted:

I'm assuming both settlers have to go to the same hex so the unexplored area thru 5C. If the settlers can go through separate hexes then one to 5C and one to 4D.

That's 1 move action. Once it's revealed, you get to move again because you queud up a second move action (each move action allows up to 3 different units to move 1 space)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Each move action lets you move up to 3 separate groups (which can't include the same unit more than once.) Moving the settlers to separate locations counts as moving 2 separate groups, but you get 3 per move action, so you're fine.

ROUND 1, TURN 1, PLAYER 1 (Mykkel) cont'd

Action 1: A settler is built at C3.
Action 2: A settler moves C3 -> C5, revealing a new region. The other settler moves C3 -> D4.

Mykkel, you have 1 more action. The mountains at C5 prevents the first settler from moving again this turn,, but you are free to take another move action to move the settler at D4 a second time.

Green status (Mykkel):

Yellow status (Jon Joe):

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Okay move the settler to E3, please.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
ROUND 1, TURN 1, PLAYER 1 (Mykkel) cont'd

Action 3: The settler continues D4 -> E3. Another region is revealed.

ROUND 1, TURN 1, PLAYER 2 (A RICH WHITE MAN)

quote:

A RICH WHITE MAN wrote on Oct 3, 2014 16:22:
  • Activate City: Build Settler
  • Move Settler: I3 -> H4
  • Move Settler: I3 -> H2

Action 1: A settler is built at I3.
Action 2: A settler moves I3 -> H4. Since the region to the west has been revealed, you can choose whether you still want to move to H2 or move the second settler somewhere else.

Additionally, since you can move both settlers as part of the same action, you still have 1 action remaining.

A RICH WHITE MAN, you can still choose a destination for your second settler. You then have 1 more action.

Green status (Mykkel):

Yellow status (Jon Joe):

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

• Move Settler I3 -> I5
  • Move Settler H4 -> G3, I5 -> J6

A RICH WHITE MAN fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 5, 2014

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
ROUND 1, TURN 1, PLAYER 2 (A RICH WHITE MAN) cont'd

Action 2 continued: A second settler moves I3 -> I5.
Action 3: A settler moves H4 -> G3. The other settler moves I5 -> J6. A new region is revealed.

ROUND 1, TURN 1, PLAYER 3 (Jon Joe)

quote:

Jon Joe wrote on Oct 3, 2014 23:03:
Classic opening:

Irrigation
City Improvement
Gather 2 food

Action 1: Irrigation advance is researched. 2 food is spent, mood level increases by 1.
Action 2: 1 Mood token is spent on Civic Improvement. Yellow's city mood increases to Happy.
Action 3: Yellow's city is activated to gather resources. 2 food is gathered (one from the fertile hex the city is on, one from the barren hex with Irrigation.)

Impermanent, it is now your turn.

Green status (Mykkel):

Yellow status (Jon Joe):

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Oct 5, 2014

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

My settler token is on G5 instead of G3

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Whoops! Thanks, it's fixed.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
1. Build Settler
2. Move, 1st move Settler I13, then move 2nd settler to H14.
3. Move, 1st move I13 Setler to to J12, then move H14 Settler to G15.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
ROUND 1, TURN 1, PLAYER 4 (Impermanent)

Action 1: Red's city is activated to build a settler. 2 food is consumed.
Action 2: A settler moves I15 -> I13. A region is revealed. Another settler moves I15 -> H14.
Action 3: A settler moves I13 -> J12. A new region is revealed. The other settler moves H14 -> G15. Another new region is revealed. The newly drawn region tile has two legal placements, so Impermanent may pick which way to place it*:

or

*Most of the tiles that have been placed so far only had one legal placement due to water placement rules. The other times that it has come up where there was an option it was in the middle of someone's double-move and picking the alternate orientation would have stopped the exploring unit on a mountain, so I took the liberty of using the placement that allowed the exploring units to keep moving.

Impermanent, pick whether you want the first or second map.
This decision has no bearing on Mykkel's turn, so Mykkel is up again. Post your actions for next turn.

Green status (Mykkel):

Yellow status (Jon Joe):

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I'll take the first map.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

:munch: Rivers are amazing - in a single move, boats can travel as many revealed sea spaces as they like. Coincidentally, they can also carry troops. It's a fun combination.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
ROUND 1, TURN 1, PLAYER 4 (Impermanent) cont'd

The map is finalized!

Mykkel is still up.

Green status (Mykkel):

Yellow status (Jon Joe):

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

1. Activate City 1 for Gathering Food
2. Move settler C5->B6
3. Found city in E3.

• Locked thread