Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
ROUND 3, TURN 1, PLAYER 4 (A RICH WHITE MAN) cont'd

Quick Rules | Rulebook | Player Aid
Wonders Revealed: Great Pyramid Great Lighthouse

Action 3: City J6 is activated to collect resources. 2 food and 1 gold are gathered from 2 fertile and 1 sea space (Port).

Mad Rancher, it is now your turn and nothing else was ever written here.

Green status (Mykkel):

Blue status (A RICH WHITE MAN):

Yellow status (Mad Rancher):

Red status (Impermanent):

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Gabriel Pope posted:

Mad Rancher, you have one action remaining.

What?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Sorry! I tend to copy & paste. It's your turn and you've got a full 3 actions.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Free action: 1 wood, 1 ore, 1 idea from D14
Free action: pay 1 mood token for improvement as a free action, spend 2 mood tokens to make F14 neutral
Action 1: Pay 1 food, 1 gold, 2 wood to build a ship and army at F14
Action 2: Movement
2.1: Move 1 army onto boat
2.2: Move boat to J10
2.3: Move other army to H16, paying 1 food and 1 ore to move 2 spaces and avoid penalties
Action 3: Movement
3.1: Move army off of boat, to J12, capturing city
3.2 Move other army onto I15, capturing city

Game ends during this coming status phase.

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Oct 22, 2014

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
ROUND 3, TURN 2, PLAYER 1 (Mad Rancher)

Free action: City D14 is activated to collect resources. 1 wood and 1 ore are gathered from 1 forest and 1 mountain. 1 idea is gained (Public Education).
Free action (Voting): 1 mood token is paid to take a Civic Improvement action. 2 mood tokens are spent to improve city F14's mood to neutral.
Action 1: City F14 is activated to build units. 1 army and 1 ship are built for 1 food, 1 gold, and 2 wood.
Action 2: Units move.
-An army embarks from F14 -> G13 (boarding ship)
-A ship moves from G13 -> J10
-Another army moves F14 -> H16 (Roads). 1 food and 1 ore are consumed.
Action 3: Units move.
-An army disembarks from J10 -> J12, capturing the city. 1 gold is looted.
-An army moves from H16 -> I15, capturing the city. 1 gold is looted.

Impermanent, it is technically your turn but you have no units or cities! You can still use up to 3 actions to buy advances or play cards that don't require you to have cities.

Also, depending on how spiteful you feel remember that it is possible to trade resource/mood/culture tokens and cards (but not advancements, unless you have the Tech Exchange card) with other players.

Green status (Mykkel):

(sorry, had to fix the pictures)

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 22, 2014

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I thought that my previous turn was bad...

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I'll take advances in navigation, roads, and sanitation.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
ROUND 3, TURN 2, PLAYER 2 (Impermanent)

Action 1: Navigation is researched. No resources are consumed (Astronomy). Culture level increases.
Action 2: Roads is researched. No resources are consumed (Mathematics). Culture level increases. An event occurs!

A Good Year posted:

(Barbarian attack symbol: the largest barbarian camp within 2 tiles attacks.)

You gain 2 food.

Red has no cities to attack! The barbarians do nothing.

Red gains 2 food. Unfortunately, Red is at the food cap! The food is wasted.

Action 3: Sanitation is researched. 2 food is consumed. Mood level increases. An event occurs!

Volcano posted:

If you have at least four cities:
Pick one of your cities. This city along with any units on the space are destroyed (remove them from the board).
Keep this card and place all the city-pieces from the destroyed city on it.
Each city-piece is worth 2 VP to the player who owns the piece.

Red does not have 4 cities. Nothing happens.

Mykkel, it is now your turn.

Green status (Mykkel):

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

okay. I'd love to play this game again, I don't think I understood what was going on until it was way too late.

1. Activate C3 gather 1 food 1 ore
2. Get astronomy
3. Research State Religion.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I'd love to play again as well.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
This game has been moving pretty quickly, so I'd totally be down with running a rematch for any/all who want it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
ROUND 3, TURN 2, PLAYER 3 (Mykkel)

Action 1: City C3 is activated to gather resources. 1 food and 1 ore are collected.
Action 2: Astronomy is researched. No resources are consumed (Priesthood). Culture level increases.
Action 3: State Religion is researched. 2 food is consumed. Mood level increases.

A RICH WHITE MAN, it is now your turn.

Green status (Mykkel):

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

See them other chickenheads? They don't never leave the coop.
Buy Economic Liberty for 2 gold, +1 mood

Play Mass Collection.

Free Action: Collect 4 food, 1 gold at J6.

Buy Separation of Power for 2 food.

Buy Civil Liberties for 2 food.

Play Idea Synergy, +2 ideas.

Play Militia to gain unit in J6.

edit: from my understanding playing action cards without AAA is free? assuming I haven't hosed this up royally, this is my final edit.

A RICH WHITE MAN fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Oct 23, 2014

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

A RICH WHITE MAN posted:

edit: from my understanding playing action cards without AAA is free? assuming I haven't hosed this up royally, this is my final edit.

Correct. Generally they'll either specify that they're AAA, a free action, or played as part of another action.

There is one slight hangup with your orders, although--playing Mass Collection allows you to gather resources from 2 extra spaces for a total of 5 spaces when you're collecting from J6, but you only have 3 food-generating spaces (not counting the sea space, since you're taking gold there.) It does not affect your other orders so I've taken the liberty of adjusting your collect action appropriately.

ROUND 3, TURN 2, PLAYER 4 (A RICH WHITE MAN)

Action 1: Economic Liberty is resesarched. 2 gold is consumed. 1 mood token is gained (Free Education).
Free Action: City J6 is activated to collect resources. Mass Collection is played. 3 food, 1 gold, and 1 wood are gathered from 2 fertile, 1 barren (Irrigation), 1 forest, and 1 sea (Port) space.
Action 2: Separation of Power is researched. 2 food is consumed.
Action 3: Civil Liberties is researched. 2 food is consumed. Idea Synergy is played. 2 ideas are generated.
Free Action: 1 culture token is spent to play Militia. An army appears in J6.

Mad Rancher, it is now your turn.

As a reminder, this is the last turn of the game!

Green status (Mykkel):

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

to be clear, the turn ends on me, correct? So I still have one final turn?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Yes, everyone has 1 turn left.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
No idea why ship moved over a space, or F14 is unhappy, but it doesn't really matter.

Free action: Gather 1 food, 1 ore, 1 idea for freesies from D14
Action 1: Buy a military at J12 with 1 food, 1 ore
Action 2: Move armies onto ship, ship to J8, remaining military to J12 by spending a food
Action 3: Move armies off of ship, onto J6, using both of my military action cards, archers and pestalts.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I apparently grabbed a save from when I was in the middle of an update, sorry.

You can only use one card per round, however, so you need to pick one. If the combat lasts a second round you can play the other one then at your discretion.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Archers, then.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
ROUND 3, TURN 3, PLAYER 1 (Mad Rancher)

Free Action (Economic Liberty): City D14 is activated to collect resources. 1 food and 1 ore are gathered. 1 idea is gained (Public Education).
Action 1: City J12 is activated to build units. 1 army is built for 1 food and 1 ore.
Action 2: Units move.
-Two armies embark from J12 -> J10.
-An army moves I15 -> I13 -> J12 (Roads). 1 food is consumed.
-A ship with 2 units loaded moves J10 -> J8.
Action 3: Units move.
-Two armies disembark from J8 -> J6 to attack. A battle occurs! Yellow plays a card:

Archers posted:

(Army)
Roll a die for each of your units prior to a combat roll. If you score at least one "hit", your opponent removes one unit before making his combat roll.

Yellow's archers roll 6 + 3 = 9 (1 hit.)
Blue's army is preemptively shot down before getting to roll.

City J6 is conquered and becomes angry. 2 gold is looted. Blue gains a settler in a city of his choice.

A RICH WHITE MAN, choose a city to receive a free Settler from the conquered city. Impermanent, it is now your turn, although at this point I believe the only actions you can take are cards. Choose to play or end your turn.

Green status (Mykkel):

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I'll pass.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Mykkel, you're up then!

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

Settler I3 not that it matters. I'm gonna go ahead and preload my turn since I don't think anything can affect it, PMing you now.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Not that I think I have anything that matters:

1. Build a temple at C3.
2. I'll take Chemistry for free.
3. build a city at F6.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
ROUND 3, TURN 3, PLAYER 3 (Mykkel)

Action 1: City C3 is activated to build a temple. 1 stone and 1 wood are consumed (State Religion).
Action 2: Chemistry is researched. No resources are consumed (Priesthood). Culture level increases. An event occurs!

Civil War posted:

If you have any "neutral" or "angry" cities with Armies, then select one.

Remove one Army unit from the city and reduce its mood (if possible).

If you have no such city, then reduce the mood of any one of your cities.

City E6 is arbitrarily and has its mood reduced to neutral, since this decision will not affect the outcome of the game.

Action 3: A settler builds a city at F6.

ROUND 3, TURN 3, PLAYER 4 (A RICH WHITE MAN)

A RICH WHITE MAN posted:

(Free) Collect 2 food I3
Learn Cartography -2 food
Learn Warships -1 food -1 gold
Learn Navigation -2 ideas

Free action: City I3 is activated to collect resources. 2 food is gathered.
Action 1: Cartography is researched. 2 food is consumed.
Action 2: Warships is researched. 1 food and 1 gold are consumed.
Action 3: Navigation is researched. 2 ideas are consumed. 1 mood token is generated.

Green status (Mykkel):

Round 3 Status Phase

Green has no objectives to turn in.

Blue scores three objectives!

SEAFARER: Have all four Maritime advances.
ENLIGHTENED: Have all four Education advances.
GOVERNMENT: Have a fully researched Government.

Yellow has no objectives to turn in.

Red has no objectives to turn in and has no cities. The game ends!

Final scores:

12 x 0.5 = 6 from techs
5 x 1 = 5 from cities
0 x 2 = 0 from objectives
0 x 5 = 0 from wonders
---
Green total: 11 VP

16 x 0.5 = 8 from techs
2 x 1 = 2 from cities
3 x 2 = 6 from objectives
0 x 5 = 0 from wonders
---
Blue total: 16 VP

17 x 0.5 = 9.5 from techs
11 x 1 = 11 from cities
0 x 5 = 0 from wonders
---
Yellow total: 20.5 VP

12 x 0.5 = 6 from techs
0 x 0 = 0 from cities
0 x 5 = 0 from wonders
---
Red total: 6 VP

Final standings: Mad Rancher, A RICH WHITE MAN, Mykkel, Impermanent

A surprisingly close game! Blue still came within a hair's breadth of sniping the game from yellow--without the 4-point swing from capturing yellow's port they would have been within 1 VP of each other. It was still a learning game and it definitely shows, though. JJ/Mad Rancher grasped the importance of maximizing action economy before anyone else did and ran away with the game.

Mykkel drew into the settlement-focused "New Founder" and "Dominion" objectives, which could have earned a lot of points from his heavy explore-and-settle strategy--unfortunately, the high concentration of mountains and sea spaces slowed you down. You did a respectable job of keeping up development but suffered from a lack of focus, winding up with a lot of dead-end techs that never got used.

A RICH WHITE MAN, you obviously put your research objectives to good use and generally did a pretty solid job, especially for having gotten into democracy late. Your crucial flaw was holding on to action cards until too late (Mykkel made the same mistake)--the 3-card nova turn was impressive, but accelerating the early game by playing Idea Synergy ASAP could have tipped the balance into a win. Most combat card effects are not all that great unfortunately and are generally not worth stockpiling.

Mad Rancher, I don't have much to say except "good job." The last Status Phase demonstrates the pitfalls of relying on an early knockout to seal the game, but even with A RICH WHITE MAN's last-minute scoring rush you had the lead pretty well locked down. Even the Epidemic event barely hampered you--you actually hit the settlement limit, so you would not have been able to keep any more cities you conquered in the west.

Impermanent, unfortunately you drew the short end of the stick. You had a very food-starved position, which is death for someone who didn't open by researching Irrigation. Your forests-and-sea position would have been great for becoming a maritime power (and you had an objective for that, too), but the lack of grasslands stymied your growth and in the end the sea bottled you in. Also, I don't think you fully realized the importance of spending mood tokens to improve your cities' mood--a happy size 1 city can collect twice as many resources as a neutral size 1 city, which lets you get things done a lot faster. Even if things don't get cut short you have a finite number of actions and it's important to make the most of them.

Thanks to everyone for playing and keeping the game moving at a good pace--even for ending halfway, getting through a game in 3 weeks is impressive! Since it went so quickly I'd be happy to run another game if you guys or interested, or if anyone would prefer not to we can probably find replacements.

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

I'm still kicking myself for not actually putting myself in the running for the first draft, so I'd totally be in for a second round.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Thanks everyone - I'm sorry that my noobishenss caused the game to end early. I wasn't even aware that my low happiness was keeping my actions from being useful - I had thought that I simply needed to grow my structures. This functioned very well as a demo of the kind of game that this is though, and I'm looking forward to giving it another shot eventually. But not now. I think I should give up my seat to someone who understands the game a little bit better for the rematch. Plus after doing this at the same time as Mage Knight, I'm a little stretched thin on PbP games.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I think the fairest thing to do would be to have everyone interested sign up, and randomly pick the players from that pool; no weight in either direction for if that player has already played.

Before the game even started I researched strategies heavily and theorcrafted my way for several potential starts. Of course, I played to my action cards first and foremost - whatever advantage they would give me, I would take them. When I realized I could knock red out for an early victory, due to his city placement, I immediately started playing towards that.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Impermanent posted:

I wasn't even aware that my low happiness was keeping my actions from being useful - I had thought that I simply needed to grow my structures. s.

You had the right idea, but happy cities count as being 1 size larger. Improving mood is much cheaper than growing buildings, so it's an easy shortcut for early development.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

I'd definitely like to play again.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

I'd like to play again. Yeah I screwed up with the advances. To scattered. And I should have tried to play to my cards.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
In case it wasn't clear, I'm also up for playing again

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Mad Rancher posted:

I think the fairest thing to do would be to have everyone interested sign up, and randomly pick the players from that pool; no weight in either direction for if that player has already played.

Normally I'd do this but I feel kind of bad for things getting cut off right as people were starting to get into the swing of things. Mykkel/A RICH WHITE MAN, do you care whether we do random lots to see who is in the next game or do you want reserved positions?

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

I'm down with random lots.

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

Doesn't matter to me either way.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Ok, I'm going to take a break for a few days and then open up recruiting for another game with open slots. Thanks for participating!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A RICH WHITE MAN
Jul 30, 2010

Could you bump this thread when the recruiting opens up?

• Locked thread