Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywr6h_FQi9Y

WOW! That sure does sound good! :hfive: "...it's our way of saying thanks."

But there seems to be a catch...

Verizon posted:

... we ask permission to use information about your use of Verizon products and services, the websites you visit and apps you use, as well as your device and its location. We may also use other information like age range, shopping preferences and information about the quantity, type, destination, location, and amount of use of your Verizon voice services.

Specifically:

Verizon posted:

What is Verizon Selects?

As a participant in Verizon Selects, you may receive marketing messages, offers, and other content that interest you more than what you receive today. Verizon Selects uses information about you to see whether you fit into an audience Verizon or another company is trying to reach. We will not share information that identifies you personally with any non-Verizon companies. Verizon Selects will use your information to provide relevant marketing messages through a variety of marketing media such as postal mail, email, text, Internet, and mobile advertising.

What information are we talking about?

Mobile usage information
  • Addresses of websites you visit when using our wireless service. These data strings (or URLs) may include search terms you have used.
  • Location of your device.
  • Apps and device feature usage.

Other types of information
  • Demographic, interest and behavior characteristics provided to us by other companies, such as gender, age range, sports fan, pet owner, shopping preferences, and ad responses.
  • Demographic, interest and behavior characteristics developed by Verizon.
  • Information about the quantity, type, destination, location, and amount of use of your Verizon voice services and related billing information (also known as Customer Proprietary Network Information or “CPNI”).
  • Other information about your use of Verizon products and services (such as data and calling features and use, FiOS service options, equipment and device types).

What are you doing with my information?

To make marketing messages more relevant, Verizon will analyze the information described above to identify you as part of a group of people a marketer is trying to reach. Your CPNI and other information will be shared among the Verizon family of companies.

Here are answers to some of your frequently asked questions!

If I provided my consent to participate in Verizon Selects, and then I turn off the location-based services settings on my mobile device, will my location information still be collected and used for Verizon Selects?

Yes, the location information used for Verizon Selects is not related to the location settings on your device.

I have recently added my phone number to the Federal Do Not Call registry, or have told Verizon that I don’t want to receive certain kinds of marketing, such as mail, emails or phone calls from Verizon’s family of companies. How do these Do Not Solicit choices affect my participation in Verizon Selects?

Your decision to participate in Verizon Selects is independent of any other choices you’ve made previously.

These people seem really happy with Verizon SMART rewards!

But soon it may get even better!!

"BestVPN posted:

Even more worrying however, is that Verizon has filed for a patent on ‘Methods and Systems for Presenting an Advertisement Associated with an Ambient Action of a user’ – in other words Verizon will target mobile users for advertising based on not just on what they get up to on their device, but on what happening in their physical local environment! Creepy or what?

In order to do this, the patent also outlines how Verizon will use ‘sensor devices, such as an image sensor device (e.g., a camera device, such as a red green blue (“RGB”) camera or any other suitable camera device), a depth sensor device (e.g., an infrared laser projector combined with a complementary metal-oxide semiconductor (“CMOS”) sensor or any other suitable depth sensor and/or 3D imaging device), an audio sensor device (e.g., a microphone device such as a multi-array microphone or any other suitable microphone device), a thermal sensor device (e.g., a thermographic camera device or any other suitable thermal sensor device),’ to monitor customers’ ambient environment.

Such technology will first be introduced into Verizon set-top boxes, and will be able to determine if users are ‘eating, exercising, laughing, reading, sleeping, talking, singing, humming, cleaning, and playing a musical instrument,’ and if interaction with another person is involved, whether that comprises of ‘cuddling, fighting, participating in a game or sporting event, and talking.’

Whoa! Verizon really want to know what you get up in the bedroom! One example given in the patent is,

‘If detection facility… detects that a couple is arguing/fighting with each other, advertising facility may select an advertisement associated marriage/relationship counseling.’

Alternatively,

‘Server device may utilize one or more terms associated with cuddling (e.g., the terms “romance,” “love,” “cuddle,” “snuggle,” etc.) to search for and/or select a commercial associated with cuddling (e.g., a commercial for a romantic getaway vacation, a commercial for a contraceptive, a commercial for flowers, a commercial including a trailer for an upcoming romantic comedy movie, etc.)’

:psyboom:

Of course the other major carriers are doing similar things, but Verizon right now is the furthest-reaching.
http://money.cnn.com/2013/12/16/technology/mobile/wireless-carrier-sell-data/

All that normal data they collect isn't enough though, when there is so much more they could collect. Hence SMART Rewards!

And what exactly are the rewards you get for letting Verizon track you 24/7 and mine all of your valuable personal data?

Basically discounts on random crap (that oftentimes you could get for free by searching the web), sweepstakes entries, gift cards you probably have to make a big purchase to use and lots of fine print "cheap stuff****" type things.

So who is ready to sign up for these sweet rewards? :woop:

And how many already have without really knowing what the gently caress it was.

edit: If you have Verizon and want to op-out of their data collection poo poo, go here: http://www.verizonwireless.com/myprivacy
The SMART Rewards program is opt-in (for now at least).

Sophy Wackles fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Oct 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I've had the same lovely Verizon phone for 4 loving years. The only "reward" I get is like, a 15 dollar discount on a new phone.

But there's a 35 dollar upgrade fee, so in reality I get nothing.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

ya they told me i had like 25k smart points and i was like woah but then i realized that i would be verizon's bitch for life if i took that deal

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

those upper middle class people sure are happy to be living in 1984 literally

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
A guy I work with was telling me all about how great this new Verizon rewards program is and how much money it was going to save him.

Jst0rm
Sep 16, 2012
Grimey Drawer

bigperm posted:

A guy I work with was telling me all about how great this new Verizon rewards program is and how much money it was going to save him.

This is good for the poors.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

I looked at what they were even offering and it's like "hey with 100,000 points you can get this $100 gift card for only $90!" Wow what a deal, Verizon!!!!

jarjarbinksfan621
Mar 4, 2012
it's not like they are going to be using this information to stalk and rape your dumb, ugly wife. it's going to be used for marketing and serious business.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
don't know why you would have Verizon with their no sim cards in the first place

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

smart rewards more like dumb rewards

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Pawn 17 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ywr6h_FQi9Y

WOW! That sure does sound good! :hfive: "...it's our way of saying thanks."

But there seems to be a catch...

Specifically:

Here are answers to some of your frequently asked questions!

If I provided my consent to participate in Verizon Selects, and then I turn off the location-based services settings on my mobile device, will my location information still be collected and used for Verizon Selects?

Yes, the location information used for Verizon Selects is not related to the location settings on your device.

I have recently added my phone number to the Federal Do Not Call registry, or have told Verizon that I don’t want to receive certain kinds of marketing, such as mail, emails or phone calls from Verizon’s family of companies. How do these Do Not Solicit choices affect my participation in Verizon Selects?

Your decision to participate in Verizon Selects is independent of any other choices you’ve made previously.

These people seem really happy with Verizon SMART rewards!

But soon it may get even better!!

:psyboom:

Of course the other major carriers are doing similar things, but Verizon right now is the furthest-reaching.
http://money.cnn.com/2013/12/16/technology/mobile/wireless-carrier-sell-data/

All that normal data they collect isn't enough though, when there is so much more they could collect. Hence SMART Rewards!

And what exactly are the rewards you get for letting Verizon track you 24/7 and mine all of your valuable personal data?

Basically discounts on random crap (that oftentimes you could get for free by searching the web), sweepstakes entries, gift cards you probably have to make a big purchase to use and lots of fine print "cheap stuff****" type things.

So who is ready to sign up for these sweet rewards? :woop:

And how many already have without really knowing what the gently caress it was.

edit: If you have Verizon and want to op-out of their data collection poo poo, go here: http://www.verizonwireless.com/myprivacy
The SMART Rewards program is opt-in (for now at least).
same

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Moridin920 posted:

don't know why you would have Verizon with their no sim cards in the first place

In many areas, Verizon's coverage is light-years better than anyone else. But this 'smart reward' program is a steaming pile.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JnnyThndrs posted:

In many areas, Verizon's coverage is light-years better than anyone else. But this 'smart reward' program is a steaming pile.

don't they all share towers now anyway though

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
Worse than rapists

DONKEY SALAMI
Jun 28, 2008

donkey? donkey?

Rapists with reward points are the worst

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
hell yeah im ready to bid on that $15 tony romas gift card

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

jarjarbinksfan621 posted:

it's not like they are going to be using this information to stalk and rape your dumb, ugly wife. it's going to be used for marketing and serious business.

unless they find a way to make raping my dumb ugly wife good for business

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
you'd think cataloging every minute detail about a person would be enough of a controversial and super-profitable undertaking that they would put down serious money on rewards and not half-rear end it like this

like if you're going to be collecting literally everything about the person i think you can eat the cost of a free (no strings attached) phone or a tablet or etc

this just makes them look gross -and- incompetent

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I'm going to get one and just breathe loudly into it all day every day

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

And people thought the new Kinect was creepy

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

The Rage posted:

And people thought the new Kinect was creepy

that's like the same deal to me too, if they're going to sell the poo poo out of someones personal info to the extent no other company has done/managed, you'd think they would spend some of those billions of dollars subsidizing their dumb thing down to like $100-200 bux instead of 500 freaking dollars

god knows the first company to get away with mass-adoption of that sort of poo poo is gonna make back that money anyways

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

that's like the same deal to me too, if they're going to sell the poo poo out of someones personal info to the extent no other company has done/managed, you'd think they would spend some of those billions of dollars subsidizing their dumb thing down to like $100-200 bux instead of 500 freaking dollars

god knows the first company to get away with mass-adoption of that sort of poo poo is gonna make back that money anyways

That company is Google

• Locked thread