Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Teddybear posted:

You lose institutional knowledge and legislators who have acquired expertise in their committee subjects and in policy. This makes legislators ineffective and more reliant on lobbyists and pressure groups for learning about issues and how to run their state. Term limits have been a failure in every state in which they were enacted, and there is no good reason to enact them unless you are actively trying to subvert the democratic process.

Holy hell is this a good summary of why term limits are dumb. The people that advocate for them are generally rubes or internet libertarian shrills. To add to Teddy's post, there have been quite a few quantitative studies that look at this issue and the consensus is that the more freshmen legislators a body elects, the fewer laws get passed for all of the above reasons. Outstanding post Teddybear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Amused to Death posted:

Actually everyone from across the political spectrum in the US thinks term limits is a good idea with somewhat more Republicans than Democrats with little variation between age groups
http://www.gallup.com/poll/159881/americans-call-term-limits-end-electoral-college.aspx

Not only do more Republicans and "Independents" (LOL) support term limits, the only party to actually propose this idea is the GOP.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Evil Fluffy posted:

Nope, because the GOP is simply better at politics

No, they aren't. In 1999 readers of the NY Post declared Bill Clinton to be the 2nd most evil person of the 20th century, just behind Hitler and far above Stalin and Pol Pot.

It's not that the Democrats are "bad" at politics. It's that the Republican Party is backed by people who are completely irrational and don't actually participate in "politics" as much as they "do their best to actively sabotage and destroy political processes".

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
I really wish you assholes would stop responding to the guy who openly states he's trolling the thread.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

loquacius posted:

If a friend of mine laughed at me whenever I had a beer with dinner I would probably stop getting dinner with that friend :shrug:

Seriously, most people who don't drink learn not to do poo poo like that in college, because it is (as people have said) insufferable.

Well I would say Amergin is just completely making it up because he's playing some invented character in order to troll the thread but hey, who knows? Based on how defensive he gets when confronted with how dumb this is he probably is such a douche without the act.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
And that young waiter, was Ronald Reagan.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Talmonis posted:

You know, at least the man is going after things that appear to be an utter waste of funds, rather than openly attacking medicare or food stamps. Progress!

It's so awesome to me that all Cantor's smug pandering and incessant douchey-ness wasn't enough to keep him in office. Sure he's making a jillion dollars a year at some firm but you know for someone like him, the defeat will never go away and all the money in the world won't make him happy, just like :mitt:.

Unzip and Attack fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 22, 2014

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

gradenko_2000 posted:

This isn't meant to be facetious or anything, but who would have been better than McCain and Romney?

I still think John Huntsman could have beaten Obama. He could have really gone after the POTUS in the debates given his lack of political and personal skeletons. Can you imagine the conservative circlejerk that would have happened if Huntsman answered a foreign policy question at one of the debates in Mandarin Chinese? "OMG look how dumb are GOP hero made Obumbler look!" forever.

He would have had the GOP vote on lockdown and could have peeled away enough dissatisfied 08 Obama voters to win. Of course since he didn't win the primary there's no real research to back any of this up, it just seems like any GOP candidate that could feasibly appeal to moderates (I know it's controversial to assume moderates even exist in the US) without Romney's shortcomings could have won. Again this is talking straight out of my rear end but the moment the GOP manages to get a candidate out of the primaries having not said a load of horrendous poo poo, they've got the election in the bag.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Joementum posted:

He did this several times in the primary debates.

Yes but doing this against the POTUS in a one on one situation would be drastically different in terms of optics. Surely you all realize that making Obumbler look dumb or inadequate is basically the highest achievement anyone can accomplish in the conservative mindset, right? This is why conservatives lost their loving minds after the first debate. It's not that Romney "did well" (he actually straight up lied over 30 times that night) it's that he made the POTUS look vulnerable, which is every angry white wingnut's wettest dream

As for him being squeaky clean, I don't know for sure but the guy was a diplomat to China and is a Mormon, so I doubt there are any showstoppers in his personal life.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Evil Fluffy posted:

Except the very large and very racist sect of the GOP wouldn't say that. They'd say "HOLY gently caress THIS GUY'S A GODDAMN SPY FOR THE loving COMMIE CHINESE :freep:" and Obama would jump 10 points in the polls as a bunch of old racists turn away entirely because they'd have to pick between the Kenyan Usurper B Rock the Islamic-Fascist Shock, or a Chinese plant who will hand us over to Beijing because THEY OWN THE DEBT MAN.

Romney speaks French and protested in favor of the Vietnam draft before filing for conscientious objector status so he could live in France for two years, yet conservatives held him as the manly, pro-military choice over Obama even though UBL was found and killed within 2 years of Obama's becoming POTUS. There are absolutely no lengths they will not go to in order to vilify a "liberal" while extolling their own candidate.

See also:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Qu'rantine is great but "Vote Your Guns in November" is the most pure, crystalline microcosm of American conservatism I've ever seen.

• Locked thread