Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

SubponticatePoster posted:

Did you mean to say September (which just ended) or is that literally you in the OP?

Please refer to the OP:

Fried Chicken posted:

Let's get this show on the road

Impeach Fried Chicken

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

AlternateNu posted:

Because there is a tipping point in the power balance where the negative aspects of allowing a single person to be entrenched in an executive position outweighs the benefits of their experience. Like was said earlier in the thread, that is something somewhat unique to Executives since you more-or-less have a single person running 1/3 of the entire government.

Really, if you had complete guarantees on the quality of the candidate, the best form of government would actually be a benevolent dictatorship.

Please explain how the US would've been better off if FDR was only in office for two terms.

The Presidency shouldn't be term limited. If conservatives want to vote for Regan until the day he died forever, let them. If Clinton wanted to go for a 3rd term in 2000 he should've been allowed to. Term limits remove the ability for people to fully choose who they elect to lead them.

Joementum posted:

The Democratic candidate for Governor in South Carolina has said they should take down the Confederate flag on the State House grounds and replace it with the American flag.

So, congrats Nikki Haley on winning another term.

Even better: now when Haley wins it can be used to reinforce the flag's presence because The People of South Carolina Have Spoken.

It's amazing Democrats are so loving bad at politics compared to Republicans.

GlyphGryph posted:

Hey now, I support replacement of the 17th amendment (I'd prefer to see Senate elections handled by professional elector pool system in a manner similar to jury duty, where the people pegged are pulled at random from the voter pools and paid well for their service, but actually expected to research the candidates before voting), and I don't think I'm that stupid.

Lobbyists reading your (terrible) idea are creaming themselves at the idea of random shmucks being sent off to Congress. There would be people in congress who make Sarah Palin look intelligent and to say they'd be corrupted more easily than the current system is putting it mildly.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Pohl posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWuMp6TRcYM

Holy poo poo, Bill Clinton did an ad for Grimes.

This guy might still be president if we didn't have term limits.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

I don't see how partisan districting is unconstitutional. In fact, I see it as more constitutional: a legislature should decide upon maps, and if they can't agree, don't go to the swearing in cerimony while the other side can't force a quarum call.

The precedent they're almost certainly going to overturn is that "legislature" includes votes by the citizens when they have the authority to do so. IE: State gives citizens the power to vote for X by referendum, citizens vote for X, X now becomes law.

Just like Hobby Lobby they'll probably later decide to say their decision affects everything. So if a state did something like, say, ban fracking via referendum in certain locations then that ban will be null and void.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Slate Action posted:

Basically the Democrats are never getting the House back, are they.

Nope, because the GOP is simply better at politics than the Democrats will ever be.

Isn't California's current Democrat state government supermajority the result of a commission-drawn map?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

JT Jag posted:

The contention here is regarding a particular sentence in the Constitution regarding district-creation authority only. I don't think the Supreme Court will be capable of making that broad a decision.

Who's going to stop them? Obama? :lol:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

Unemployment just dipped below 6%, and yet somehow the Dems are probably going to lose this election, because America.

What, do you expect Obama or the Democrats to be hammering this in speeches or something? You might as well ask for the president to have Roberts killed because both have about an equal chance of happening.

Again: Democrats are bad at politics and rely on the GOP being openly terrible. They run to not lose while the GOP runs to win at any cost.

When the GOP takes the senate this fall if Obama's SOTU in 2015 isn't a big sloppy "well we're going to just have to work together" dash to the right I'll be loving stunned.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

I just don't get how throwing more money away in Texas in 2010 & 2012 would really have made anyone happy.

Edit: I have a bad ninja-edit habit. I just think a lot of people are confused by the fact that the Ds and Rs aren't mirrored parties on the opposite side of the spectrum. The R base is unified in a way the Ds never can be because of the nature of a liberal party.

If Texas turns blue that's going to be a huge political game changer, especially if the state government is blue (meaning possible state laws that could help stop Texas from loving up schools nationally).

Democrats should be spending millions to do massive GOTV activities including straight up having people who do nothing but drive voters to/from the polls, among other things.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

They just brought bills doing two of those three things to the floor and voted on them in the last 2 months.

Now they need to actually start messaging this, as well as why they don't pass (the GOP blocking it) if it failed, and actually go on the offensive.

Democrats are the most :effort: bunch of fucks when it comes to change because they don't actually want to change much.

Keep in mind this is the same party who pretty much sat there and took it like a bitch when Roberts and co blatantly gutted part of the CRA on pure political grounds after it had just been extensively reviewed and unanimously renewed only a few years ago. The argument was extreme bullshit and Obama should've forced a showdown with the SC and address that the SC pretty much does whatever it wants without repercussion.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

On Terra Firma posted:

Yeah seriously. What the gently caress do these people think the end game is other than just keeping our military over there indefinitely?

Imagine Cheney's friends stealing billions of dollars via Iraq war spending, forever.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

ufarn posted:

Make it stop

:mitt: LET ME INITIATE RHYTHMIC MOVEMENT OF MY MODEL NUMBER.

*closes businesses and fires thousands, taking all their money in the process.*

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

site posted:

And don't worry, I'm gonna ask him, no bullshit, if he's being fast-tracked for the 2016 VP ticket.

You should ask him a question that'll get you an actual answer.

Failing that, ask about something useful like aggressively pushing back against the heavy segregation that's still going on in neighborhoods and schools to this day.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Joementum posted:

Tom Cotton is now the highest profile member of the GOP to warn of the Islamic State of the Ozarks and Dixie.

When asked about his claims, his campaign staff sent back links to WND and Breitbart. Seriously.

You'd think that people would be able to play this Islamophobia poo poo as the same scapegoating the US did to Japanese Americans during WW2 but there's no low hanging fruit that Democrats won't ignore.

computer parts posted:

And the shutdown will doom Republicans from winning the Senate.

No sane person actually believed this last year. The American pubic makes a goldfish look like Plato.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Talk about Ohio roads being terrible is funny considering that Ohio's DoT was at least competent at their job the last time I drove through the state. PennDOT is like the posterchild for ten guys standing around a mile of construction watching one guy work on a 3ft pothole.

Alter Ego posted:

Their reaction still made no goddamn sense and was wildly inappropriate, considering that Michelle Obama is probably the most attractive First Lady we've had since Jackie Kennedy.

While this is probably true it's not exactly a high bar to clear if you're going by how they looked when their husbands got elected.

Joementum posted:

Best post-WWII First Lady :colbert:

Jack Nicholson?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Skex posted:

Reminds me of when I was still reading "The Sword of Truth" series and I realized that while much of the Objectivist philosophical basis made a sort of sense, he never applied the same standards to his own beliefs to see how erroneous his conclusions were.

How's the series? I haven't read it, only saw the TV show on Netflix awhile back, and I'm looking for a new series to read through after having finished with the Riftwar cycle and Kingkiller books, and finishing the second Starlight Archives book now.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Grundulum posted:

Amazingly bad (on the other side of "so bad it's good"). http://sandstormreviews.blogspot.com/2006/08/goodkind-parodies.html

My personal favorite is when the main character sculpts a statue so beautiful it defeats communism.

:stare:

I think I'll check out Mistborn or the First Law series instead.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

^^^^ It looked interesting so I'll probably hit it next.

zamin posted:

I watched the show without knowing about the books, and thought it was some good cheesy fun. I thought about reading the books until I find out the show heavily edited out the crazy. Now I'm incredibly glad I didn't waste any money on that poo poo.

This is how I was and going by the responses in this thread it's how I'm going to stay. I didn't realize the books were that bizarre.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Alter Ego posted:

Subservience is one thing, but she's basically talking BDSM without the whips and chains.

Reminder that 50 Shades of Grey, a twilight fanfic(originally) centered around abuse, was insanely popular when it came out.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Internet Webguy posted:

National parks make you pay for a permit to camp there, so they already kind of do charge just not enough to make a profit. Unless they're going to start charging people for just driving through.

Some parks do this. Stone Mountain just outside of Atlanta makes you pay to drive in. Gotta make money to keep that Confederate shrine in shape.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Isn't the general D&D consensus that the main young guys with political ambitions (Castro, Booker) are still too young?

Booker's inexperience would make Obama look like LBJ and he's best known for being a nice guy. Which means he will get his rear end handed to him or he'll be so involved in the political game that you'd probably be better off with George P. Bush instead.

Jagchosis posted:

unconstitutionally young... 35 years have not elapsed since 1981

It will have been exactly 35 years in 2016. :ssh:

Ditocoaf posted:

I haven't finished school yet. Maybe it's not too late to switch. What are the "proper useful degrees" now that CS and engineering are overpopulated? :ohdear:

Become an electrician or a similar hands-on job. Those seem to be in short supply in no small part due to the dumb "if you don't get a college degree gently caress you you worthless scum" mentality that gets pushed.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

SedanChair posted:

Hillary is running, and will be President.

Yep, just like how Rudy won the election in 2008.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Alter Ego posted:

I don't need to have lived through Reagan to know he was a lovely President, just like I don't need to eat boogers to know they taste bad. Stop using the "You weren't there, you don't know" defense, because it's a really lovely one.

I did, however, live through Bush II, as did we all--who made Reagan look like a loving walk in the park.

Bush II signed laws like the ADA which I would love to see brought before the current GOP. Special treatment for cripples?! Like we can trust the gubmint to not use this as an excuse to take our guns. :freep:

Alter Ego posted:

Unless the Grey Wardens find his phylactery, of course.

He's just a dream of the Nameless One given form.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Teddybear posted:

That was Bush I. We know how they'd feel about the ADA if brought before them now-- the international treaty that was modeled after the ADA came before the Senate last year, and Republicans filibustered it-- despite lobbying from Bush I and Bob Dole.

I meant Bush sr, IDK why I said Bush jr. :saddowns:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Hasn't Wendy Davis been a pretty overall lovely person with her only claim to fame being the filibuster she did? She always seemed to be made out as something far greater than she is. Like Cory Booker.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Fried Chicken posted:

Houston has annexation laws to combat white flight, that's where it's (size) growth has come from. You want to pack up and trundle halfway to Galveston because you are terrified of people being darker than the average Swede? Well now you are still in Houston rear end in a top hat.

The guy who lost the governor's race to Corbett in PA wanted to do that for Pittsburgh and basically start taxing all the people who left Allegheny and moved to Washington or Beaver county because those areas are growing, first in population and now in jobs.

It is not popular to say the least.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Yes I'm sure Walker's alluding to pot smoking millennials. :v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Joementum posted:

Ain't no party like a Kentucky Republican party.

Why is this picutre all discolored and gaudy looking like a badly-preserved picture from the 70s? Did someone decide to be artsy and gently caress with it via some lovely phone app?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

VanSandman posted:

They're just lightbulbs I don't intend to replace with lovely non-LEDs.

So buy some good LEDs? It's not like they don't go on sale frequently too if you're being cheap.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Good Citizen posted:

Remember that one Supreme Court election in Wisconsin where the dem favorite declared victory and then suddenly some Podunk county found just enough ballots hidden away somewhere that the GOP favorite got enough votes to disqualify a recount?

Good times

E: for the people who forgot this fun case: http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickungar/2011/04/13/something-smells-in-waukesha-county-wisconsin-and-its-not-the-cheese/

It's a shame that there will never be vote security laws passed. I'd settle for the same level of security used on slot machines, with tampering being a felony and immediate blacklisting from any government related work (including as a contractor).

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Joementum posted:

Gohmert winning a cooking award does not surprise me. He gave up a larger office, closer to the Capitol, in favor of a smaller one because it has a ledge outside the window where he can barbeque.

I never stop being amazed by this. I can just picture the building on a nice summer day, people are in their offices with the windows closed because otherwise the smell of delicious barbeque from Gohmert's ledge would blow in to the room. If he's always got something going it's probably pretty drat tasty too. :chef:

zoux posted:

Hulu Plus :negative:

Adblock or Noscript used to break commercials in Hulu so the shows would just skip the break and continue on with the program, they fixed that awhile back though. :(

It blows my mind that Hulu Plus is basically "pay us for a couple more shows and just as many commercials" and people are ok with it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

JT Jag posted:

I'm pretty sure Jon Stewart understands perfectly well that O'Reilly isn't a true believer like a lot of the Fox News talking heads. He's in it for the money, to fleece the idiots who watch his show and buy his books. Stewart just enjoys verbally jousting with him.

Considering The two of them are BBFs, yeah. Has O'Reilly ever openly stated this though? I know a few years back Glenn Beck said somewhere (interview?) that he didn't belief most of what he said but the act makes him rich so why would he stop.

Shbobdb posted:

The whole "major media shills know they are wrong hit just do it for money" is some triumphalis t freeper poo poo. They may have a nuanced understanding (so does everybody else) but they really do believe what they are saying.

Some of them are definitely True Believers, but not all of them are even if you want to dismiss such notions.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2010/04/08/90672/beck-on-politics/

Or people can believe he just happened to go crazy when much of his audience did and he didn't make a business decision to tack his show hard right with the tea party surge.

If we woke up tomorrow and the Fox News audience all vanished you'd find a lot of their talking heads willing to take more centrist/leftist talk show jobs elsewhere and few of them would lose any sleep over it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Kitfox88 posted:

Mine was 'Don't have sex, condoms are worthless, birth control will make you sterile.'

Rural Pennsylvania. :allears:

EDIT: Shbobdb did it better

I grew up in Suburban western PA and Highschool phys-ed covered sex, with the highlight being that the teacher's attractive daughter was in the class and it was really hard to tell who was messing with who more. Him trying to embarrass her, her trying to embarrass him, or the rest of us trying to embarrass both of them.

We learned about reproduction in the 4th grade though. Field trip to the science center back when it was still by one of the Children's Hospital locations in Pittsburgh, parents had to sign a slip to ok the trip and confirm they knew the topic being shown..etc. I don't think any STDs were covered in depth beyond AIDs and its danger though. Others might've been mentioned in passing as a "other terrible things can happen but AIDs is the worst one" kind of thing.

e: vvv You aren't breaking it in that case, you're ripping or tearing it. :eng101:

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 14, 2014

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

zoux posted:

I'm curious how do anti immigration Aussies justify the fact that white people have lived in Australia for a little over 200 years?

The same way we do in America? "We control it now so gently caress the rest of you."

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

Yeah, just video them geting high and use the video if your place attempts to withhold your security deposit

That way they can thank you for providing video proof of why you aren't getting your deposit back.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

mcmagic posted:

Is this the "Life Advice from Amergin" thread? Or the US politics thread?

It's the "idiots fall all over themselves to respond to a troll" thread.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Joementum posted:

Rick Perry is flying back from his economic tour of Europe to deal with the ebola crisis, so don't worry Texas! Rick Perry is on it!!!

Buried lede: Rick Perry was on an economic tour of Europe.

I hope Perry gets very hands-on with the Ebola cases.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Alter Ego posted:

Personally I've never had a problem with people who smoked weed, but I never did it myself because of the smell. God, I cannot stand that smell.

Yeah I don't know what sort of damaged sense pot smokers must have but good god the smell is just terrible.

Trabisnikof posted:

At least all of D&D can enough a good chuckle at Boehner.

If I had to deal with Republicans in the House all day I'd probably get trashed constantly and try to tan away the pain too.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

DarkCrawler posted:

Are we talking about an ISIS operative infecting themselves with Ebola and then...what, spitting in people's mouths in El Paso or something? Has any Republican actually tried to explain the logistics here? Because I can't imagine any scenario where just getting a gun and shooting people wouldn't be both easier and kill more people.

Clearly they'll get infected then crawl in to the AC system at a major airport, kill themselves, and their body will transform in to a Super Ebola that will get on everyone in the airport, ensuring they infect everyone else wherever they travel to because Super Ebola causes the victim to emit ebola germs in a 30' radius at all times.

Thanks Obama. :mad:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

e: ^^^^^ That'll make for an awkward Thanksgiving dinner.

Joementum posted:

Yeah, all they'd have to do is travel from Syria to Liberia, travel into some of the inner villages and hope to find someone with the disease who's symptomatic, then fly out of West Africa for Mexico - remember, crossing the Southern US border is always part of these fantasies - hire a coyote to get them across the border, walk through the desert while suffering from a disease where you can't stand up because you are losing too much water, and then camp out at a buffet for a bit.

I mean, I don't see how this could possibly fail to work.

This is just dumb nonsense.

Everyone knows they'll come in to the US by crossing Lake Erie. :colbert:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Limbo posted:

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned here or in another thread, but apparently Diamond Joe's son Hunter was discharged from the Navy Reserve back in February after testing positive for cocaine. Expect to see all the usual suspects go apoplectic over this further sign of the nation's descent into hell.

Who the gently caress joins the military in their 40s? Was this supposed to be an attempt at laying some (more) foundation to pull a McCain/Kennedy and run for office on the family name?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

I can feel my soul being ripped from my body when I look at this. :stonk::cry:

• Locked thread