Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Yeah, the only time I'd think term limits would be acceptible would be if the limit was very high. Like a 5-term Senator or a 10 (maybe more than ten? 14? 16?)-term Congressman. If you can't run due to to term limits you'd be allowed to run again next election and if you win the same position you had last time (Congressman or Senator from the same state) you would be considered to have the same seniority as when you left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

That still really fucks up seniority and the benefits states receive by having senior members.
To an extent, I suppose. It would screw with the Senate more than the House, because term-limited Congressmen would be able to run again in just two years. And then they wouldn't have to worry about being term limited for another (x number of terms it takes to get term limited)--- effectively, people would only get the boot once, and if you get re-elected you're in for good.

I think that people who have been in Washington forever being forced to take a break for a couple years to reconnect with their constituents might be a good idea. It's not good if they're forced to retire entirely, that results in brain drain and increased dependence on lobbyists. But getting away from the Beltway for a little bit might be healthy.

Maybe the concept is still too naive.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Star Man posted:

Anyway, if my mother brings it up again, I'll ask her if she'll be voting to re-elect Mike Enzi for a fourth term.
This is the actual answer to these sorts of questions. Everyone is pissed off about the nebulous concept of "Congress". Congress' approval rating is always in the dump. And yet incumbency is higher than ever. Why? I presume it's because if you ask someone who's bitching about how "Congress is lovely, kick them all out," they'll swear up and down that their Congressman and Senators are the exception to the rule, assuming they share the same party affiliations. And when the majority of every single district and, in the Senate, every state has that same attitude of "everyone is terrible but my guy" that just reinforces nationwide incumbency rates.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Amergin posted:

If the issue with term limits is that it makes congressional slots rotate too quickly and therefore pushes power towards lobby groups and the parties, why not set the term limits on the high end to prevent zombies from holding office?

5 term senators/15 term House members, etc.
poo poo Amergin agrees with me about something

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

The ratio of Representatives to Congressman has become a bit too skewed now compared to a century ago or especially the founding of the US. Congressmen used to represent 30-60,000 people per district on average, and it's inflated over time to 690,000 per district today. Which honestly is so big they are impossible to hold accountable for anything.

The Constitution states that representatives shall not number more than one for every 30,000. I say they should amend it so there shouldn't be less than one for every... 200,000? 300,000 tops?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

If you increased the number of Congressmen in the House so that they would each represent a smaller number of people, I would be okay with the House replacing the Senate entirely, but only if all redistricting nationwide was done by a neutral third-party.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Good Citizen posted:

A least lines algorithm would be easier and still pretty effective, even if it has the side effect of splitting up natural constituencies.
I consider any form of redistricting based on math to be a neutral third-party.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

gently caress.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

I don't see how partisan districting is unconstitutional. In fact, I see it as more constitutional: a legislature should decide upon maps, and if they can't agree, don't go to the swearing in cerimony while the other side can't force a quarum call.
Whether partisan districting is unconstitutional or not (It isn't by any measure) isn't what the Supreme Court will be addressing.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

zoux posted:

Yeah I misread your opinion.

There are 14 states that use these commissions, so I guess it won't be a complete sea change.
14 states is over a quarter of all the states. I did a little research: 8 states use commissions to determine Congressional districts, with 6 more using the commissions to draw the state legislature districts only. And those 8 states are responsible for 93 representatives, or 21.3% of the total in the House. The states that have committees create only their legislature's districts also has an impact on Congress, as that lowers the likelihood of supermajorities in those states.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

Just like Hobby Lobby they'll probably later decide to say their decision affects everything. So if a state did something like, say, ban fracking via referendum in certain locations then that ban will be null and void.
The contention here is regarding a particular sentence in the Constitution regarding district-creation authority only. I don't think the Supreme Court will be capable of making that broad a decision.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Good talk guys.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Phone posted:

This is an example of how progressive SA is in terms of feminism and gaming; this guy went completely unchecked. I don't think he was banned, either. (on my phone, can't efficiently check rap sheets)
Something Awful is not a monolith, though. The subforum structure leads to different standards of posting and different cultures. SA is tribalistic, to be honest. Many posters only post in a single subforum, and those who do cross between the lines likely only post in a small number of forums, or perhaps in specific bookmarked threads outside their usual environment that pertain to their usual tastes.

So a typical GBS 2.0 poster, a typical D&D poster, and a typical Games poster (and the incident you cited I believe started in Games and then became a GBS/FYAD project) would have a number of differences.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Amergin posted:

So apparently I can go away for 7 pages of this thread and come back to CTRL+F my name in a majority of those pages. Y'all need to drink less.

So in actual news, apparently the current SCOTUS that you all like to believe is the second coming of Hitler pretty much gave gay marriage rights a win?
Gay rights is the one thing Kennedy can be counted on for, and the four other conservatives didn't want to tackle the issue now, so it's a punt. When a few other states legalize gay marriage, they'll be able to rule on it with less pressure.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Talmonis posted:

There's no checking or tackling (slide tackles aren't the same), so size and brute force are less of an issue. Some Women's Soccer teams should and could beat men's teams.
Size and contact is a big thing in soccer. Players still straddle for position using their bodies when the ball is in the air. Not all tackling is slide tackling, in fact the majority of tackling is just muscling the other person off the ball while the two players stay on their feet. People underestimate the amount of contact in soccer.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Man, now Obama will never get elected to a third term

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

ComradeCosmobot posted:

If you don't think that this won't be projected onto Democrats as a whole (even if the numbers aren't as bad as that poll) you are pretty naďve at this politics thing.
That was an ambivalent response to the fact that "Would you elect President Obama to a third term" was an actual question on that poll and nothing more

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I'm a fan of that particular scare-line because it's literally "throw as many scary things as we can think of into a pot, stir 'em up and then regurgitate 'em all at once"

Especially when they add ebola in somehow.

Ebola-carrying ISIS terrororists breaching our undefended border with the help of Mexican drug runners. That's four different talking points all in one: Terrorism, illegal immigration, drugs and ebola, in one compact sound byte.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Spun Dog posted:

Boehner just tweeted out the GOP Jobs Plan. It's actually more accurate and truthful than you'd expect -

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/boehner-jobs-tweet-hijacked

quote:

RT @SpeakerBoehner
① could jesus
② microwave a burrito
③ so hot that
④ even jesus couldn't
⑤ benghazi
#5pts4jobs
2:42 PM - 7 Oct 2014
Laffo.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

It'll be interesting to see what pet policy causes he takes on as First Gentleman. Like maybe trolling everyone by aggressively pushing his veganism.
If you thought the reaction to "Moochelle" was bad... and hell, the Republicans would have "evidence" in this case, they'd just have to break out a picture of mint-condition Big Mac Attack era Bill.

Alter Ego posted:

Photobombing press conferences.
This is what my money is on. Photobombing and, on occasion, straight up hijacking press conferences.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Alter Ego posted:

To which he can respond "Yeah, I ate that poo poo and it almost killed me. That's why I'm a vegetarian now."
You think that'd stop them?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Sometimes I wonder, if enough people earnestly believe in something that is completely, absurdly false, would reality change to fit the consensus?

This fearmongering is getting to the point where I half expect conservative news-sites to report entire events that didn't even happen. "ISIS illegal immigrant terrorists have assassinated Governer Rick Perry." Rick Perry shows up on TV for a scheduled press conference. The story doesn't die off.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

This is actually a pretty fascinating read. It boils down to "Obama has done about as well as you can expect considering how intransigent the Republicans have been, particularly ever since he figured out the Republican gameplan of obstructionism after the Grand Bargain failed. He's done pretty well all-in-all, except maybe on financial reform, he admittedly half-assed that. But besides that he's done alright."

I can't really dispute much of it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

Marco Rubio has noticed that Ted Cruz is polling well in 2016 Republican primary preferences and decided to form a cover band.

*takes long sip of water*
“The American people expect us, as Members of Congress, to fulfill our Oath of Office and defend the Constitution,” the senators wrote. “Therefore, we must act to protect Congress’ power of the purse and prohibit the Obama administration from dispersing unlawful risk corridor payments providing for an Obamacare taxpayer bailout.”

You're talking about the unlawful payments that are part of the law? Oh, right, those unlawful payments!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

While I do not immediately agree with this assessment, it would depend upon how imminent of a threat those protestors pose.

For instance, an anti-war on ISIS protest which waves ISIS' and JaN's flags: would they be an imminent threat?
Historically, the US would not consider that to be enough to bomb them/crack down militarily and with live ammunition. That protest might get broken up but the protestors wouldn't get murdered.

In Sword of Truth, protesters are literally run through by a military formation.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

This sworf of truth thing sounds like a supercrazy christian/mormon subgenre of sex lit.
Fantasy book series with a sort of Christian bent.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

PupsOfWar posted:

are you implying that he isn't :colbert:
Well he doesn't drink.

The other parts more or less are though.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Kiwi Ghost Chips posted:

You've lived in the Bay Area far too long. Most homophobes are just homophobes.
Don't get me wrong, some homophobes are closeted homophobes, but it's not a 1:1 thing.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Is it a bad thing that I understand what Rand Paul meant by that quote after the first glance, with no further context

Have I looked too far into the Libertarian abyss

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

zoux posted:

Is it "national park drilling"?
Preserving the majority of national parks for viewing, but also having the parks generate a profit so there's no motivation to tear them down to put something else in their place. So a combination of national park drilling and charging for admission.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

Big scoop for Breitbart, here.

What, uh... what are they even trying to say here? "A thing allegedly happened, by the way here's a guy who used to work with the same people who are in trouble over that thing"

Are they implying Media Bias about not covering a half-baked story or something

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Lycus posted:

Whoa, Roberts.
The more cases I see him try, the more I think that John Roberts is, politically, extremely shrewd and calculating, that he's fully aware of the power he wields as Chief Justice, and that he uses it primarily in an attempt to force the Republican Party to stay relevant going into the future. He knows precisely which wedge issues are losing their utility to the party, and he's willing to break with popular party dogma to rule against them it means the Republicans are forced to modernize.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

The largest city by area in the continental United States is Jacksonville, Florida (the only ones ahead of it are all in Alaska), and they managed it by incorporating an entire county, which includes a lot of suburban area. Rumor has it the Jacksonville city lines grow a little bit each year, and will herald the End of Times when they spread over the Georgia state line...

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, “It should be called the Republican conservative health care act.” ~ Larry Pressler, Independent, ex-Republican, candidate for Senate in South Dakota on Obamacare.
This is the sort of pivot the entire Republican party should be making. Instead, I'm guessing statements like this are the reason he's running as an independent.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Zeitgueist posted:

Rahm "morally correct"? Haha
Much like how Arkane was literally Jon Huntsman, My Imaginary GF is literally Rahm Emmanuel

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Joementum posted:

Bonus quote of the day, “At first they tried to destroy me. They couldn’t. They failed.” ~ Bill O'Reilly
I'm pretty sure Jon Stewart understands perfectly well that O'Reilly isn't a true believer like a lot of the Fox News talking heads. He's in it for the money, to fleece the idiots who watch his show and buy his books. Stewart just enjoys verbally jousting with him.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

My Imaginary GF posted:

Obviously, not written by a rich person. You have less free time; however, you get paid to drink/smoke/coke and network
Business owners, especially small business owners that have to be personally involved in the operation of their business, either smoke, do blow, or both. Almost no exceptions.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

DARE gave me a cool black ruler that I used through most of grade school, which was nice

I also bought their stupid schtick hook, line and sinker and it took me until I was out of high school to try weed and discover what I was missing out on. I never became more than an occasional smoker, but in retrospect they teach you some dumb, blatantly false stuff in that class, especially about marijuana, just to scare you off it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Ron Jeremy posted:

Ok sweater vests are R, hoodies are D. Can I get a ruling on cardigans? I'm thinking lean D depending on the amount of irony with which you wear them.
Cardigans are a strong D lean, worn primarily by hipsters (ironically) and college professors (unironically)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

This is a beautiful thing.

I think my favorite part is the literally three people shouting "FOLLOW THE RULES" as loud as possible to try and offset all the people cheering Crist and booing Scott

• Locked thread