Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Did you mean to say September (which just ended) or is that literally you in the OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Fried Chicken posted:

Literally me.

God dammit, someone please PM Xylo
Sent.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I always thought a lottery system would be good for HoR. You'd actually get a cross section of citizens instead of people who could afford to run. Give them housing and a decent salary during their term and make it so that whatever job they might hold had to be held for them (obviously it could be filled while the person was in office). You'd probably have to extend the term to 4 years to account for the learning curve, and maybe have a 6-month period before they took office when they were instructed on the parliamentary procedures and rules. Naturally you'd end up with some actual idiots (but we have that now, like the R congressman who asked lobbyists to tell him how to do his job) but it would truly be more representative of the population as a whole.

Of course, this would only work if our educational system wasn't total dogshit so...yeah.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Where's that Whiskey brand whiskey?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Goddamn.

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, "I didn't realize you could filibuster a baseball game." ~ Rand Paul on the 18 inning Giants vs Nationals game
Were they reading Green Eggs and Ham?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Chantilly Say posted:

Gun nuts are no less likely than gamers (referring, in both cases, to people who self-identify using either term) to talk down to women and treat them like they don't know anything about a stereotypically male hobby, though I guess the most direct comparison here would be if... women were complaining the industry didn't make enough guns friendly to women, but I don't know what would make a gun unfriendly to women.
Funny story: some competitive shooting used to be open (men and women shot together). Then women started outshooting the men and all of a sudden it was decided that shooting should be segregated. So now these particular competitions have a men and women's division. This was at very high levels, too.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Fried Chicken posted:

More likely they are buying cover of not having to formally rule on it.

I mean, incredibly lovely decisions are coming, but it's more Roberts & Co don't want to take the heat for ruling in favor of marriage equality
Since it only takes 4 to grant cert, I saw it as nobody wanting to touch the poop. Left wing says "eh, work's already done" and right wing says "we're gonna loving lose anyway." That or nobody wanted to deal with Scalia keeling over dead, covered in foamy spittle :v:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Joementum posted:

I'd still rate him better than the other Vice President who shot a guy while in office.
:eyepop:

This reminds me of that old Got Milk? commercial where the guy had an Aaron Burr shrine in his house.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I'll admit I'd like to see Phyllis Schlafly suffering from ebola.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Magres posted:

:stare:

I really... yeah, I got nothin to respond to that beyond :stare:

That's absolutely horrifying.
You see now my statement wasn't one of privilege, but justice.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Joementum posted:

Bonus quote of the day, “The way to make sure that the environment is always protected is to make it profitable. You gotta make it profitable, and then it goes on and on forever.” ~ Rand Paul
Please don't post these things Joe, I just had some kind of seizure reading it.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

420DD Butts posted:

Aside from the fact that Rand Paul said another dumb thing, why are tech moguls such unceasing idiots? If anything is a strong indictment of our education system, it is the fact that these supposedly well-educated elites think one thing (technology) is a salve for all of society's ills because it made them rich. It's as if there's nothing going on up there.
Eh, tech really can solve most of our societal ills. Problem is, nobody wants to let it be used to help poor people because gently caress poor people.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

420DD Butts posted:

It certainly can't replace teachers as was proposed. Tech only solves problems in the presence of controls, it isn't some benevolent force for all that is good in the world.
But "as proposed" isn't "impossible." If tomorrow someone invented a computer (or gently caress it, a robot just for funsies) that could instruct children as well as a caring, involved, not-stressed-to-poo poo teacher, the first place they would send it sure as gently caress wouldn't be inner-city schools. Because gently caress poor people.

I don't feel like tech is some sentient thing that can self evolve, but if we applied a lot of the technology we already have we could reduce a great deal of poverty. But why? There's no profit in that. Instead let's build a bunch of F35s for trillions of dollars.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

420DD Butts posted:

Even then, technology is only a method of delivering the aid or solution. It, on its own, is not going to solve all of the world's problems. It's another tool in the toolbox. Humans ultimately have to be the ones to solve the problems with or without its help and I get the feeling that most of these people just view it as some magical thing where electronics rain down from on high to save us.
No disagreement there. When I say "tech can solve a lot of problems" I'm also saying "if we could be arsed to do so."

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Teddybear posted:

Generally felonies have a jail sentence of at least a year and a day.
It may vary by jurisdiction, but more accurately (at least here) misdemeanors cannot carry a sentence of longer than a year. For example, a 3rd degree felony can carry a sentence of 0-5 years. A Class A misdemeanor would have a sentence of 0-365 days in jail. Of course in practice, you could be sentenced on 2 Class A's ordered to run consecutively and spend more than 1 physical year in the pokey.

Mostly our differences come from where you serve your time. Misdemeanors go to the county jail, felonies go to the state prison.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Amergin posted:

Tried it multiple times, enjoyed it well enough but then I grew up.
Only kids use illicit drugs. Grownups use Xanax!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Radish posted:

Does he explain exactly how they are going to do that?
By screwing with voting laws so badly only 3 black people in the country can vote, then Ben Carson can hit the 1/3?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

computer parts posted:

Insurance companies are the ones that pay the doctors. I imagine with a single payer system they'd just get paid less (because the government would just negotiate lower rates).
Isn't that supposed to be offset by the fact that they will have more patients since anyone can go to the doctor?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Joementum posted:

It is unclear if getting them wet will also cause problems.
Not for us :pervert:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

zoux posted:

Voting for this guy:

Yeah gently caress, I'll volunteer for his campaign.

Everytime I hear someone shrieking that only abstinence is 100% effective in preventing pregnancy I want to point out that gay sex does too.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

DemeaninDemon posted:

Pretty sure he's against all sodomy too. Especially the enjoyable kind.
Hmm, are you suggesting that ad is misleading and Dave Young isn't all for teaching gay sex to kids? Well in that case I won't be supporting him :colbert:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Amergin posted:

Same reason people identify as "liberal" but if you pressed them would disagree with much of what the Democrats are doing?

Politicians' actions don't mirror the myriad beliefs of the people? :monocle:
No, it's because Democrats aren't actually liberals!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

computer parts posted:

In what way are they not classic liberals?
It is a joke on the state of the modern Democratic party, please don't ruin it.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Any time someone complains about wasteful government spending just yell "F-35" at them until they go away or you pass out.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Zeitgueist posted:

More like a politically acceptable profit subsidy to defense contractors.
How many zeroes are in a trillion? I'd like to figure out how big of a check every citizen would get if they just handed it out instead.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I don't want anyone to think my state is falling behind in the crazy department: http://www.kutv.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/Gun-shop-display-expresses-Second-Amendment-concerns-52674.shtml#.VEkdFvnF9mk . This got nominated for (and won) the Boner of the Day, a long-running daily feature on a local radio station. News picked it up and we end up with this amusing headline.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

hangedman1984 posted:

That just fucks over the minorities and handful of decent white people living in the south without the means to get out
Tell them they can secede but they have to pay relocation costs for everyone that wants to leave.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Slate Action posted:

And, uh, give up their nuclear warheads and stuff. I can totally imagine a modern Confederate president nuking someone.
Pretty sure individual US states don't own nukes. Besides, then we can invade them for having WMD's as a pretense :getin:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Here you don't actually have to get a new license as long as you update DMV with your new address within 10 days of moving. You can even do it online, which is surprisingly convenient and hassle-free.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Khisanth Magus posted:

Yeah, not sure where you are at but that is true in iowa, so I don't actually have the address on my ID matching my DMV and voter registration database entries.
Utah. We do a lot of dumb poo poo, but the state's website is surprisingly functional and you can do lots of things with it.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
e: Obama wasn't unheard of, he made quite a splash in 2004 at the DNC IIRC

lamentable dustman posted:

South Carolina House Speaker Bobby Harrell was arrested recently and plead guilty to corruption charges today. Of course he gets no jail time but is going to be acting as an informant for the plethora of other corruption investigations in my state.

There is a chance Nikky Haley gets caught in it, she was caught red handed as acting as a lobbyist a couple years ago stemming from when she was governor but skated on the state investigation because of more corruption. Harrell's arrest was amazingly a state investigation too but there is an open secret that a Federal investigation is going one too.

http://www.thestate.com/2014/10/23/3763350/from-powerful-official-to-government.html?sp=%2F99%2F205%2F&ihp=1
Gee, that wouldn't be the same guy who said the charges were a "political witch hunt" just a couple days ago or am I getting my indicted Republicans mixed up again (that's not partisan, I often get my indicted Democrats mixed up too)?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
See? Mixed up! Thank you.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Nah what you do is tell states they can secede on the following conditions:

• Must be a 2/3 majority of all residents who are voting age, period, including prisoners and convicted felons. Polling places will be provided at a a ratio of 1:2500 with the caveat that no person will need to travel more than two miles to reach a polling location. In states with sparse population density the Federal government will provide mobile voting locations. The voting period will not be less than 30 days to allow everyone a chance to vote and all polling locations will be open for at least 8 hours a day, 7 days a week. All voting will be monitored by the state requesting secession, the Federal government, and impartial UN observers. Absentee ballots will be counted the same as in-person ballots. Also every ballot will be paper and hand-tallied to eliminate problems/shortages with voting machines. Should any polling location report an inability to allow people to vote more than 3 days out of the 30 day window for any reason including natural disaster, the entire vote will be declared null and void and will need to be rescheduled.

• Upon a successful vote, states wishing to secede must pay a set relocation amount to every person that wishes to remain a US citizen. Say 30k for a single person, 50k for a married couple, and 5k for every dependent. This money will need to be paid out within 60 days of the vote.

• Any seceding state with a military base in it will immediately have that military base closed and dismantled. The state will also need to pay the US government market rates for the land and buildings and any equipment that cannot feasibly be relocated. All military personnel will be reassigned elsewhere for the duration of their enlistment. If they want to emigrate after discharge, it will be allowed. Same with National Guard posts, except that members of the NG who do not wish to relocate will have their enlistments terminated and any benefits such as GI bill will not be honored. Also any equipment provided to local police departments from DHS will need to be returned or compensation given if the equipment is no longer functioning.

• Any business or person in a seceding state who wishes to stay must pay in full any and all back taxes owed the US government. If they do not have the money, their assets will be seized and sold off to pay the balance. Any remaining amount will be paid out of that state's treasury - they can figure out how to get it back from that person in their new utopia.

• Upon a successful vote, all Federal monies to those states will be cut off. Benefits such as SNAP and Medicaid will still be provided to citizens who indicate that they will be relocating. A person who is receiving Social Security and does not wish to relocate will get a lump sum payout based upon their current benefit, not accounting for any COLA they would be due had they remained a US citizen.

• Seceding states will need to pay out cash value for any federal land within the state's borders.

• If a state cannot pay the full amount due the Federal government, that state will cede land based upon market value prior to the vote until the balance has been paid. Should that state have no contiguous borders with a non-seceding state, then the land will be that which is accessible by the remaining United States, such as coastal areas and waterways. If a state has no suitable land, secession will not be permitted until the balance is paid.

Y'know...just troll the gently caress out of them :v:

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 24, 2014

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Cheekio posted:

I'd forego all of this to finally get rid of Texas, only to occupy it in 5 years Iraq style for their natural resources.
Under my plan, Texas might end up the size of Oklahoma anyway!

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Fried Chicken posted:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/23/politics/jeb-bush-south-carolina/index.html

Jeb Bush, who has previously been "vacationing" in Iowa and New Hampshire, met with a bunch of donors and CEOs in South Carolina.

Coincidentally he also campaigned with Nikki Haley, meaning he ended up meeting with the local party leaders and key members.

They are really gonna try running him after his shitbird brother, huh?

That will go swimmingly for him if Nikki Haley ends up getting indicted on corruption charges.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Unzip and Attack posted:

Yes but doing this against the POTUS in a one on one situation would be drastically different in terms of optics. Surely you all realize that making Obumbler look dumb or inadequate is basically the highest achievement anyone can accomplish in the conservative mindset, right? This is why conservatives lost their loving minds after the first debate. It's not that Romney "did well" (he actually straight up lied over 30 times that night) it's that he made the POTUS look vulnerable, which is every angry white wingnut's wettest dream

As for him being squeaky clean, I don't know for sure but the guy was a diplomat to China and is a Mormon, so I doubt there are any showstoppers in his personal life.
He was a decent governor. He's also rich enough that the pay to play corruption that's infested our state government didn't affect him - he's got more money than all of the companies who would've tried to grease him combined. On a personal level he seems like a decent guy. All his problems come from the fact that he's richer than Croesus and so his economic policy positions are poo poo.

Joementum posted:

He's politically clean, but mostly because he's the son of a billionaire and hasn't had to ever worry about where the money's coming from. He dropped out of high school to play keyboards in a prog rock band named Wizard.
That's pretty baller, honestly.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Slate Action posted:

Not until today.

When tallying these things, I don't believe the shooter counts. Still lovely.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Chokes McGee posted:

This is it. The zeitgeist of the thread.
I thought Zeitgeist was the zeitgeist of the thread :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

effectual posted:

November thread title.
:agreed:

Joementum posted:

Stock up on guns in case terrorists detonate a nuclear weapon in the atmosphere above the US and knock out the power grid!!!
What always amuses me is the people that say poo poo like this also deride people who put solar panels on their roofs so they aren't dependent on the grid as "hippies."

• Locked thread