Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
On the topic of redistricting and gerrymandering, SCOTUS has some good news for you today! They just agreed to take a case that will decide if independent nonpartisan redistricting commissions are unconstitutional, potentially overturning a century-worth of precedents!

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Read this earlier. In short, the fact that SCOTUS is taking this on despite the consensus of lower courts pretty much signals the likely death knell for "disparate impact" as a tool in housing discrimination suits. If so, as long as you don't explicitly say "no blacks" landlords and those involved in real estate will be able to get away with anything.

Might not be long until Roberts just outright says that Fuller Brown might have been on to something with that "separate but equal" thing.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 3, 2014

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Cool Bear posted:

People need to understand that a hundred years of modern economics say that everything republicans say is the exact opposite of what is correct (low aggregate demand means we need deficit spending, which includes increasing government spending but also, to a much lesser extent, in theory, cutting taxes)

But serious people all agree that Keynesianism is dead because...

No, no. What we really need is more austerity. It has to work eventually!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
It seems that Obama had better get to work on executive amnesty quickly! Larry Klayman has filed a petition that seeks his deportation.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 4, 2014

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

VikingofRock posted:

I feel like there's been a pretty strong wave of anti-feminism on the internet lately, and I think it really does deserve a thread of its own. I read a good portion of the feminism threads in both D&D and in EN, and I'm not really convinced that they were any worse than, say, this thread. So I've been mulling over making a thread for a while, but I'm not sure I'm knowledgeable enough to do the OP justice. If no one else makes one soon though I probably will.

I was remarking about this to one of my acquaintances the other day with particular eye to the Intel-pulling-ads-from-Gamasutra news. Sure, gaming has historically had a macho/bravado aspect which has been fairly negative towards women, but the disdain of women has struck me as increasingly vitriolic, roiling, and above all political coming from that community over the past few years.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Accretionist posted:

It's like a cultural outlet for sexual frustration cross-pollinated with the GOP War on Women

I'm not sure if you're being facetious here, but I actually made the point in said conversation that it was odd (and possibly outright concerning) that the growth of the two movements seemed to be superficially correlated.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Badger of Basra posted:

i don't think hud secretary has anything to do with this

Best you could do is something about what he would intend to do if the "disparate impact" rules are overturned by SCOTUS in Inclusive Communities Project v. Texas Dept of Housing this session.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

JT Jag posted:

Man, now Obama will never get elected to a third term

If you don't think that this won't be projected onto Democrats as a whole (even if the numbers aren't as bad as that poll) you are pretty naïve at this politics thing.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Oct 7, 2014

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

computer parts posted:

And the shutdown will doom Republicans from winning the Senate.

Yes, good thing the Democrats have a year to recoup their place in the polls before the next election. Oh wait.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Evil Fluffy posted:

Talk about Ohio roads being terrible is funny considering that Ohio's DoT was at least competent at their job the last time I drove through the state. PennDOT is like the posterchild for ten guys standing around a mile of construction watching one guy work on a 3ft pothole.

It's been years since I lived there but Pennsylvanian roads have historically been rated worst by truckers in Overdrive magazine's polling time and time again (1991 and 1992, 1993, 1994 and 1995, 2004 and 2005, 2008, 2010), so I think PennDOT wins. Besides, while Pennsylvania is probably not the only state to paint over a dead raccoon, who else has paved over a dead deer?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Shifty Pony posted:

Wait I must be missing something here. Does the plinth literally say "5th Amendment" on it instead of the text of the Amendment?

Does it really matter since neither one talks about guns? :allears:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

FlamingLiberal posted:

Instead, with the economy continuing to crap out under Carter, Reagan shows up with his shtick involving meaningless sayings that people bought into because everything was falling apart, and Carter was on the other side being the actual adult, saying how we could get off of foreign oil if we just gave it time, and the voters chose the illusion over reality. It's been downhill ever since.

In other words (as I've linked before), "When America found itself having a hard time facing the future, they looked for people like John Wayne... But since John Wayne was no longer available, they settled for Ronald Reagan. And it has placed us in a situation that we can only look at like a "B" movie."'

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
While we're talking about things that are clearly not voter fraud, NPR is running a story this morning about a study by a USC polysci professor which found that Republican lawmakers in favor of voter ID were 40 points less likely to respond to a constituent e-mail signed with a Hispanic name.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Chamale posted:

I had a prof describing the history of economic policy and how abuse of inflation as part of monetary policy was a cause of the economic crisis of the 1970s.

Yes, this is pretty much what people always point to when they claim that Keynesianism is a failed monetary policy. "Keynesianism introduced/couldn't-get-us-out-of stagflation, therefore it can't help now either."

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Radish posted:

Does he explain exactly how they are going to do that?

As others have alluded to, by virtue of having a Republican-led Senate which is all to happy to pass a "Build a wall and throw them all out!" bill after gutting the filibuster. He's not lying that they will pass a bill. It just won't be meaningful reform.

No, the African American vote concept is what's ludicrous.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Oct 17, 2014

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

DemeaninDemon posted:

The whole point of a GOP immigration bill is to stir up their media moan machine.

I never said it would be signed, but you're right: it'll sure give Fox fodder when it gets vetoed.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Chadderbox posted:

Speaking as someone who has lived in the Phoenix area for a long time, this will go over like a lead balloon with the Hispanic community unless it shortens the amount of time for legal immigration and allows the illegal parents of legal kids to ultimately be able to live here with their family intact.

As if you even need to ask what said bill won't include. Hope you like going back to your home country to wait in the same, increasingly slow, immigration line as all those other immigrants! What? You thought INS was getting more funding? I think you meant ICE.

Oh, and keep in mind, this is a nice compromise. We could have chosen to not even include that provision! Aren't we so kind? Vote Republican 2016!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

lil mortimer posted:

I wonder how long it'll take Hannity and Ann Coulter to whine about anti-American liberals and their Republican President Derangement Syndrome whenever another Republican takes office.

Now look you might not agree with his politics, but you have to respect the president. Unless he's a black Democrat. Then being disrespectful is the only American way to register your disgust at his unconstitutional policies.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Resident shitbird O'Keefe was caught trying to catch dems in voter fraud effort, as well as trying to mess with a non-profit
http://m.motherjones.com/politics/2014/10/colorado-dems-james-okeefe

Eat poo poo O'Keefe.

Don't worry. They'll keep trying until they find an org that is susceptible to their tricks.

And then it'll be all over Fox News as if this incident had never happened.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Joementum posted:

Quote of the next billion minutes of Republican ad time.

~ Barack Obama

It's almost like he WANTS to have to make a grand bargain.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

George Bush? Doesn't ring a bell.

You haven't heard of the most recent Republican president? You know, Reagan's heir, the president before the US went to poo poo under President Clinton?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

SubponticatePoster posted:

No, it's because Democrats aren't actually liberals!

Just a reminder that 13% of those who think the ACA is not liberal enough object because there is too much government control.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

The Warszawa posted:

That's my understanding.

Really? Because last season was a weekly drop if I recall correctly.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

gradenko_2000 posted:

This isn't meant to be facetious or anything, but who would have been better than McCain and Romney?

Exactly. Unless you're going to posit that someone not running should have been nominated (which was never going to happen anyway) the Republicans have managed to pick the most electable option of their lovely options in both of the last two elections, so there's no reason to believe that can't happen again.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Fried Chicken posted:

School shooting in Washington state. Pilchuck high school in Marysville Washington, multiple injuries, so far only confirmed death is the shooter

Oh good. Just in time for the NRA to put out a few final scare ads to get Republicans to the polls.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

The Warszawa posted:

Finished season 2, it's spectacular.

Working through it slowly (just the first two so far) and... The Dubya/Bush :allears:

(Oh and Troops for Truth :allears:)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
To be fair most people like him not for his actual stances but rather the fact that he's personable and, between his gaffes and actions, more human than most other politicians are. Also I suspect goons are confusing him with his Onion persona.

His politics aren't much better than generic Dem so of course that's not why people like him.

• Locked thread