Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

Of everything wrong with this, what kills me the most is...soldiers don't ride ships, you ignorant dickbag! :argh:

(Shut up! Let me have my impotent rage!)

But the framers' intent :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Amergin posted:

Actually most of the folks I see supporting term limits are OWS/Redditor-style liberals who get their news fix from a mixture of MSNBC, The Daily Show and HuffPo.

Same people who were anti-pork without realizing that pork barrel spending is the carrot to many politicians' carrot-and-stick political dealing in Washington. One of the many reasons we're in a political age of puritanical idealism and every-bill-is-a-game-of-chicken.

Agreein' with Amergin over here.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, regardless of political bent, most of the electorate thinks some dumb poo poo.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GreyPowerVan posted:

Hey, quick question, why does the Electoral College exist? I was just checking out the Election history and saw that the president has been elected while losing the popular vote 4 times. To me, that seems like a gross misrepresentation of what the people want, especially in the case of Bush/Gore (mostly because I wasn't alive in the 1800's for the other 3 times)

The American system is carefully constructed to put barriers between direct democracy. I'm not being glib, the framers really didn't trust the average person to make good decisions.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GreyPowerVan posted:

Right, I've known that, but with people more educated today (at least in most areas :eng99:) why is it still this way?

Uh, no they aren't.

Avoiding more glibness, people aren't any better at discriminating between good and bad info so they aren't any better at making informed choices.

zoux fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Oct 2, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GreyPowerVan posted:

I would definitely say that, in general, the populace is more educated than it was in the late 18th century. I know that people are still idiots, but I know a lot of people that when I've tried to get them to vote, they are all apathetic and point to the bush/gore election as a reason that "voting doesn't matter". If people felt like their vote mattered more, they might be more likely to research candidates. I did say might.

The reason I asked is what does the Electoral College really do? They're supposed to vote with their state, right? So when someone wins the popular election, they should in theory win a larger percentage of Electoral College votes... so if people are stupid and do stupid things, they will still elect who they want.

Or can the college just up and decide to vote for someone that their state didn't?

(Sorry, it's been a while since I've read up on it. If someone wins 51% of a state's vote, they get the entire college vote from that state in most cases, right? Except Nebraska in 2008...?)

EDIT: Right, I was talking educated as in generally having more resources to use in research, but I won't disagree that people still don't do their research in most cases)

It's kind of like a failsafe, like if suddenly "The Clone of Hitler" won a write in or something, the college can vote a different way. I don't know if there's an instance of a college defecting against the popular vote.

Joementum posted:

If you think things like the Electoral College are silly, spend some time reading about the ideas that were rejected.

John Adams wanted the title of the President to be "His High Mightiness, the President of the United States and Protector of Their Liberties", for example.

There's a great scene in HBO's John Adams where Washington has just had it with Adams trying to get everyone to call him "Your Excellency".

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I have about as much contempt as they do/did so I can't throw stones.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

If we can't pass the ERA we can't fix the electoral college et al.

Why, does Phyllis Schafly oppose it?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's Sam Wang's rep? His Senate forecasts have been rosier so I want him to be better :kiddo:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

In a 5-4 decision...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My Imaginary GF posted:

I don't see how partisan districting is unconstitutional. In fact, I see it as more constitutional: a legislature should decide upon maps, and if they can't agree, don't go to the swearing in cerimony while the other side can't force a quarum call.

S...Scalia-sama?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah I misread your opinion.

There are 14 states that use these commissions, so I guess it won't be a complete sea change.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JT Jag posted:

14 states is over a quarter of all the states. I did a little research: 8 states use commissions to determine Congressional districts, with 6 more using the commissions to draw the state legislature districts only. And those 8 states are responsible for 93 representatives, or 21.3% of the total in the House. The states that have committees create only their legislature's districts also has an impact on Congress, as that lowers the likelihood of supermajorities in those states.

It's not great but it's not as bad as if you know, 40 states used commissions.

They try to pass one of these every session here and honestly neither side wants one.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Tom Cotton is now the highest profile member of the GOP to warn of the Islamic State of the Ozarks and Dixie.

When asked about his claims, his campaign staff sent back links to WND and Breitbart. Seriously.

Ugh, is he up or down right now?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JT Jag posted:

I'm a fan of that particular scare-line because it's literally "throw as many scary things as we can think of into a pot, stir 'em up and then regurgitate 'em all at once"

Especially when they add ebola in somehow.

Ebola-carrying ISIS terrororists breaching our undefended border with the help of Mexican drug runners. That's four different talking points all in one: Terrorism, illegal immigration, drugs and ebola, in one compact sound byte.

Yeah I kind of wish we were having a rash of shark attacks right now, for GOP talking points comedy reasons.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

GOP is conceding Michigan
I only know about Terry Lynd Land because NPR did a story on how awful of a candidate/campaigner she was.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Not surprising. Last I heard she had a double-digit deficit with female voters in the state. I know my parents hate the poo poo out of her. The only political ad of her's I saw was some smarmy "heh, they say Republicans don't know about women? I'm a woman :smug:" bit.

She apparently held no campaign events and met with no one for a period of like 2 weeks last month.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, a lot of the problem as well is that there has been an industrial trucking boom due to shale fracking.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Limbaugh called Chelsea the Clinton family dog in 1994, when she was 13.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

On Sunday October 19, Vice President Joe Biden and Mariska Hargitay are hosting a Law and Order: SVU marathon on USA.

I completely get Leslie Knope's crush on Biden.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oh yeah Sword of Truth is some poo poo.

quote:

Her power, her magic, was also a weapon of defense. But it would only work on people. It would not work on a chicken. And it would not work on wickedness incarnate.

Her gaze flicked toward the door, checking the distance. The chicken took a single hop toward her. Claws gripping Juni’s upper arm, it leaned her way. Her leg muscles tightened till they trembled.

The chicken backed up a step, tensed, and spurted feces onto Juni’s face.

It let out the cackle that sounded like a laugh.

She dearly wished she could tell herself she was being silly. Imagining things.

But she knew better.

Kahlan frantically tried to think as the chicken bawk-bawk-bawked.

"Mother," the chicken croaked.

Kahlan flinched with a cry.

In the dark, the chicken thing let out a low chicken cackle laugh.

It hadn’t come from where she expected the chicken to be. It was behind her.

"Please, I mean no harm," she called into the darkness. “I mean no disrespect. I will leave you to your business now, if that’s all right with you.”

She took another shuffling step toward the door. She moved carefully, slowly, in case the chicken thing was in the way. She didn’t want to bump into it and make it angry. She mustn’t underestimate it.

Kahlan had on any number of occasions thrown herself with ferocity against seemingly invincible foes. She knew well the value of a resolute violent attack. But she also somehow knew beyond doubt that this adversary could, if it wanted, kill her as easily as she could wring a real chicken’s neck. If she forced a fight, this was one she would lose.

The chicken thing let out a whispering cackle.

With the next flash of lightning, she saw chicken feet standing between her and the crack under the door. The thing wasn’t more than a foot from her face.

The beak pinched the vein on the back of her hand over her eyes. The chicken tugged, as if trying to pull a worm from the ground.

It was a command. It wanted her hand away from her eyes.

The beak gave a sharp tug on her skin. There was no mistaking the meaning in that insistent yank. Move the hand, now, it was saying, or you’ll be sorry.

If she made it angry, there was no telling what it was capable of doing to her. Juni lay dead above her as a reminder of the possibilities.

She told herself that if it pecked at her eyes, she would have to grab it and try to wring its neck. If she was quick, it could only get in one peck. She would have one eye left. She would have to fight it then. But only if it went for her eyes.

Her instincts screamed that such action would be the most foolish, dangerous thing she could do. Both the Bird Man and Richard said this was not a chicken. She no longer doubted them. But she might have no choice.

If she started, it would be a fight to the death. She held no illusion as to her chances. Nonetheless, she might be forced to fight it. With her last breath, if need be, as her father had taught her.

The chicken snatched a bigger beakful of her skin along with the vein and twisted. Last warning.

Kahlan carefully moved her trembling hand away. The chicken-thing cackled softly with satisfaction.

I have read three fantasy series in my life that weren't complete garbage: GoT, Born Queen and Abercrombie's stuff. All the other stuff, and I've read a ton of it, or at least the first fifty pages of it, is worthless.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I should get a monument to the best amendment, the Third.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That Hamilton Burr poo poo still pisses me off. Aaron Burr was a blackguard!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ReidRansom posted:

Well, according to that illustration he shoots like an absolute pussy. Some consolation, I guess.

See how Hamilton is shooting into the air? Back then gentlemen would have these duels and then they would both shoot into the air as to both satisfy the duel yet not harm eachother. So Hamilton, being a gentleman, shoots into the air, and Burr, being a dickhole, straight shoots him.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

Actually the convention was to shoot at the ground, and not into the air. Hamilton, being a sneaky son of a bitch, writes in his diary the night before that he's planning to shoot into the air, shoots at Burr, and misses. So Burr shoots him. Obviously if Hamilton won the duel, he could have quietly burned the diary and told his second not to tell anyone about his supposed plan to waste his shot, since he didn't tell Burr or any neutral witnesses that he wasn't planning to kill Burr until after Burr shot him.

Take your Burr apologia to hell sir!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

1337JiveTurkey posted:

I heard that Hamilton secretly had his pistol modified to have an extremely light trigger pull and then screwed up and squeezed the trigger too much while aiming it due to stress.

This sounds like more burrlderdash!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Alter Ego posted:

What the hell went on in Phyllis Schlafly's upbringing to make her think of her entire gender as nothing more than meat?

Being raised before 1960.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Women being subservient, silent and subordinate to the husband as the head of the family is strongly encouraged by some Christian teachings.

Also, cynically, there is a lot of opportunity for women or minorities who are willing to come forward and push the conservative line as the GOP amplifies those voices so it doesn't look like it's coming solely from old white men (it is).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JT Jag posted:

Is it a bad thing that I understand what Rand Paul meant by that quote after the first glance, with no further context

Have I looked too far into the Libertarian abyss

Is it "national park drilling"?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

it's ok

if we run out of oil, there's always more dinosaurs

Oil doesn't come from dinosaurs!!!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think their crushing student loans turn them into republicans.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kalman posted:

FWIW, corporate lawyers lean liberal (like most lawyers, including lawyers at large firms.)

Hmmm I wonder why Republicans are so pro-tort reform...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kalman posted:

Yes. I have definitely talked to a number of the ~200 corporate lawyers I work with. In Washington DC where talking about politics actually does happen in the workplace. The majority are liberal, including on economic issues (on social issues, it's a vast majority). Look! We both have anecdotes on our side!

(I've also looked at donation patterns for lawyers and surveys of self-expressed affiliation based on employment, both of which support my point with real data, unlike your "my friend" story.)

A paralegal idolizing lawyers :monocle:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pohl posted:

What the hell is wrong with having a party when Reagan died? Or Thatcher? They were horrible people, gently caress both of them.

Ask not for whom the bell tolls...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pohl posted:

I'll certainly die someday, but I won't be a loving horrible person like Reagan and Thatcher.
I couldn't even come close.

Edit: they were just really bad horrible lovely people. gently caress them.

That aphorism isn't about mortality it's about how the death of any person diminishes all of us.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Pohl posted:

It really doesn't, because the world was a better place when they died.

Neither of them had any power or direct influence at the times of their deaths. Sorry about your bloodlust.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Oh no people being happy when a genuinely awful person dies of a natural death instead of the bullet they deserved years ago, gotta let them know that they're the real monsters :smug:

Were you happy when Osama Bin Laden was killed?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Amergin is making some good points y'all.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's wrong with arming communists motherfucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Guess the state.

• Locked thread