Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
need to upgrade my 580

should i get the 970 or the 980 (i can afford either one, sick welfare checks ftw)

from the benchmarks it seems they are very close but i need to know by christmas time so please lets talk vcards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013
hey u dropped your v card

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

double Radeon 9800 Pros FTW!!

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

Rocking a sick voodoo 4 chipset here, OP. It runs Glover like a dream

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!

LordVonEarlDuke posted:

Rocking a sick voodoo 4 chipset here, OP. It runs Glover like a dream

PCI or did you spring for the AGP

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene
i want a beastly rear end video card to run badass games with

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

brave nazi aviator posted:

PCI or did you spring for the AGP

AGP, natch. Heh, my framerate in Frogger 2: Swampy's Revenge is really "GLIDE"ing ;)

bonzibuddy64
Jan 5, 2007

by XyloJW
Get the siddion 4100 series FX chips

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Hoodrich posted:

i want a beastly rear end video card to run badass games with

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

tupac holocron
Apr 23, 2008
The son of Maryam is about to descend amongst you as a correct ruler, he will break the cross and kill the pig!
here's my setup op

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
Selling my 3DFX. It plays Carmageddon pretty well in DOS.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I've got a gtx 780 and well it owns

that's my graphics card story

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
word on the street is the 970 is pretty sweet

but if u wait a bit, the 960 ti will hit

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
if i can afford the 980 should i just get it?

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

nah

970 is almost as fast for like half the price

titaniumone
Jun 10, 2001

i have a voodoo3 3000 AGP

i used to use it in my old server but it doesn't adjust the voltage depending on usage so it just runs full tilt all the loving time

so powering a headless freebsd server the heatsink was like 80-90C

burned my hand on it once

fuk u 3dfx

psyman
Nov 1, 2008
3dfx had and still has the best video card box art of all time, hands down.

I mean just compare that to the tacky junk we get these days.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

koolkal posted:

nah

970 is almost as fast for like half the price

do this, the diminishing returns on high end graphics cards is ridiculous

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
I've got a graphics card. It's pretty cool I guess

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy
I've got a 770 still and it kicks rear end, but that was coming from a 460. Normall I just get the x60 version, but I decided to treat myself to an x70 series and I'm really not sure it was necessary.

.....so either of those are prob good, but so is a 580, so idk then man.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
p sure u can overclock a 970 to be equal to a 980 if u wanna save those extra buxx for buyin games

problem is theyre sold out at a lot of places right now

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
heres one thing i always wonder: why do ppl ever get ati cards lmao

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy
I accidentally bought one in my wii u and ps4 forgive me

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
New games early in development right now who are looking to future-proof for the pc market are currently seeing about 50% 1GB vram and 15% of 2GB. Devs aiming for anything over 2GB of video ram for the next 3 to 5 years is statistically a money sink, especially since going any higher than that means you probably won't be able to use that much video data on the new consoles. You could, but you need to share that total ~5GB with system ram too, and dedicating more than 2 for video leaves very little system ram to work with.

So anyway, over 2GB is icing for the next couple years. Keep this hot tip in mind.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Gimbal lock posted:

New games early in development right now who are looking to future-proof for the pc market are currently seeing about 50% 1GB vram and 15% of 2GB. Devs aiming for anything over 2GB of video ram for the next 3 to 5 years is statistically a money sink, especially since going any higher than that means you probably won't be able to use that much video data on the new consoles. You could, but you need to share that total ~5GB with system ram too, and dedicating more than 2 for video leaves very little system ram to work with.

So anyway, over 2GB is icing for the next couple years. Keep this hot tip in mind.

thanks, using this logic im going to server farm 80 980s to be protected for future. i recommend u do the same bbg

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gimbal lock posted:

so what card would you recommend to go forward and play these games on max settings

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013
im using a msi 760 its pretty good

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i hear the 970's a sicknasty price/performance point

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

WORST FORUMS GUY posted:

so what card would you recommend to go forward and play these games on max settings

gently caress if I know. All I know is that you're probably ok for max settings for texture and mesh quality for several years if your card has 2 GB unless you're looking to futureproof yourself for over 3-5 years with your videocard. This doesn't take performance into account.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
If you have SLI or crossfire that means your video cards are gay lovers.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Biscuit Hider

Ristolaz posted:

If you have SLI or crossfire that means your video cards are gay lovers.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
I have an agi-e HT 9210 uwa with DDRx and am looking to get the i have no idea what any of this means are the numbers supposed to go up or down? And there's some letters in there too I think.

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

Mung Dynasty posted:

heres one thing i always wonder: why do ppl ever get ati cards lmao

as much as i love nvidia and hate ATI drivers, NVIDIA doesn't have anything remotely close to the power of ATI cards in the 100-250$ price range and i'm not entirely sure why.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Gestures toward computer. That's Lance and Pablo's flat.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I think I'm gonna get a PC for my birthday this year. Would a R9 270 be good for starters?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

SunAndSpring posted:

I think I'm gonna get a PC for my birthday this year. Would a R9 270 be good for starters?

yeah but try to do nvidia/intel if you can

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

the 270x is really good for its price but then ppl will make fun of u for being an ati owner and thats not very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Doctor Goat posted:

yeah but try to do nvidia/intel if you can

I'm using this site as a guideline, but I dunno if it's very good or not. I'm basically planning for the Very Good or Great tiers.

http://www.logicalincrements.com/

• Locked thread