Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
Could a good amount of humans be partially controlled by fungi or other micro-organisms? You see it in insects etc all the time. You have things like rabies. Maybe the reason your rear end eats or drinks so much sugar or PURE sugar (booze)is to feed some candida in your gut.

Could improper use of antibiotics be to blame? Like Doctors should have to prescribe a regiment of good probiotics after doses of antibiotics. Otherwise, malignant microbes in the gut and whatnot gain ground and demand lovely foods and sugary drinks and boozy booze; because:

It's YEAST. The motherfucker with a bagrillion motherfucking chromosones and you didn't think that motherfucker would lay some whoopass on bitches?

Let's develop a prophylactic cure for yeast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

no

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

yes

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

maybe

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

Strange roundabout way for you to ask for help with your mom's hygiene issues.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
I dunno, smart docs seem to have patients take probiotics for stuff like UC and Crohn's. Also apparently tons of allergies are causes by having lovely fauna.

Kind of sucks to be in a club that dissuades that kind of thinking.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
Also, when you think about it, if all that kind of allergic whatnot poo poo is happening at a low level inflammation level, isn't that not really a good thing long term either?

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
Damnit I should have named the title "Yeast Zombies" And supplied citations. And pictures. Doh.

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy
yeast unleashed in the east

Electric Charity
Mar 22, 2009

same

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i don't understand why you have a comma or anything after it in the thread title

Flying Fortress
Oct 23, 2008

what's that thing crazy cat ladies get? Toxoplasmosis?
So yes.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfglzsgahSA

phobo
Aug 7, 2008
drat, that IS a stupid question.

Alas Boobylon
Sep 30, 2014
realtalk I think there is a fungus that causes ants to go completely insane and perhaps spread more of the fungus around though my biology teacher may have just been trolling us

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

That's a stupid question and I don't want to answer it

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Alas Boobylon posted:

realtalk I think there is a fungus that causes ants to go completely insane and perhaps spread more of the fungus around though my biology teacher may have just been trolling us

Cordyceps or something. Google it.

The last of us is about that fungus spreading to humans

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
how else do you explain the GOP

GrrrlSweatshirt
Jun 2, 2012
ive never heard of the ant fungus and would love it if someone wrote about it on the internet. why hasnt anyone done this

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I don't want fungus infecting my brain!
I would much rather have the :toxogond: worms from cat poop.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

I don't want fungus infecting my brain!
I would much rather have the :toxogond: worms from cat poop.
yeah sounds pretty cool :thumbsup:

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

cordyceps is cool and interesting to read about its a horrible zombie parasite but for insects and poo poo apparently ants can tell when another ant has it and they carry them away from the nest or whatever then mushrooms erupt from their bodies later on

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

i became scared of and fascinated with parasites after seeing about these hosed up snails on television once

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWB_COSUXMw

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
you know whats freakier than fungus?

The Prion.

it sounds like a lovely car but really it's just a configuration of a protein that exists naturally in your brain, though nobody knows what its really for. Proteins can form in all sorts of shapes ofc, but if this particular one learns to twist up in a particular shape it's so stable that the body's own regeneration methods can no longer remove it. Also, somehow, it can pass this configuration on indefinitely.

It's like ice9 for your brain.

BASF
Jun 16, 2011

by Ralp
I'm controlled by fungi. I have a mushroom phobia.

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

I'm gay

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

God dammit it was my parasite posting

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

ayekappy posted:

Could a good amount of humans be partially controlled by fungi or other micro-organisms? You see it in insects etc all the time. You have things like rabies. Maybe the reason your rear end eats or drinks so much sugar or PURE sugar (booze)is to feed some candida in your gut.

Could improper use of antibiotics be to blame? Like Doctors should have to prescribe a regiment of good probiotics after doses of antibiotics. Otherwise, malignant microbes in the gut and whatnot gain ground and demand lovely foods and sugary drinks and boozy booze; because:

It's YEAST. The motherfucker with a bagrillion motherfucking chromosones and you didn't think that motherfucker would lay some whoopass on bitches?

you're a damned fool and i won't have you bothering the fine folks of this forum with your drat-fool ideas

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
if candida is controlling your mind and robbing you of your life essence, you have a severely compromised immune system or you are in the advanced stages of AIDS.

I would suggest oil pulling, colonic irrigation, master cleanse, and then butt-chug some free trade, rain forest friendly coffee for good measure. I heard from the internet that this works.

Stay safe yeast beast.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

a hole-y ghost posted:

yeah sounds pretty cool :thumbsup:

ughhhh gross
gently caress cats

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Hey OP, have you heard of this little thing called Free Will that God gave us? Its not a stupid question but it is a pointless one.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
thats foolish op ha ha ha wher are you

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
God Dadmmit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuKjBIBBAL8

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
http://www.somethingawful.com/news/instruction-fruit-below/1/

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Turns out liking cats may be influenced by a parasitic protozoan. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasmosis

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan
There was some science recently that says yes.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/bies.201400071/full

http://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2014/08/your-gut-bacteria-want-you-to-eat-a-cupcake/378702/

quote:

Microbes in the gastrointestinal tract are under selective pressure to manipulate host eating behavior to increase their fitness, sometimes at the expense of host fitness. Microbes may do this through two potential strategies: (i) generating cravings for foods that they specialize on or foods that suppress their competitors, or (ii) inducing dysphoria until we eat foods that enhance their fitness. We review several potential mechanisms for microbial control over eating behavior including microbial influence on reward and satiety pathways, production of toxins that alter mood, changes to receptors including taste receptors, and hijacking of the vagus nerve, the neural axis between the gut and the brain. We also review the evidence for alternative explanations for cravings and unhealthy eating behavior. Because microbiota are easily manipulatable by prebiotics, probiotics, antibiotics, fecal transplants, and dietary changes, altering our microbiota offers a tractable approach to otherwise intractable problems of obesity and unhealthy eating.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ayekappy posted:

you should check out the documentary 'the last of us' op

Ransom
Jan 8, 2001

JOLLY RAPIST
What? Of course not. That's crazy. Now lets drink some fermented beverages and eat various local food stuffs that we humans are know to do. But first inhale these spores.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

The thing is, there are some spam-like ads going around advertising probiotic supplements that refer heavily to these ideas, which makes them seem untrustworthy to some degree.

Here's one of them, THIS IS AN ADVERTISEMENT, NOT A DOCUMENTARY OR PUBLIC HEALTH MESSAGE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0qTOBUfqOg

Maldoror fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Oct 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

came to post this

• Locked thread