Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flying Fortress
Oct 23, 2008

You ever get those?
For a while I thought I was going crazy, but after a while I realized that my sanity was pretty much unchanged, it's just that sometimes I smell things that aren't there.
Examples of odors that I detect:

-burning. mostly burning.

Sometimes it's for real, like the time my neighbour's house was actually on fire. But a lot of the time it's just a smellucination. If I'm not sure I just ask my wife or whoever is around for confirmation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
ur wife is a smellucination

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR
p sure that means you have a tumor

some times i think i smell fish

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
actually yeah, sometimes my apartment hallway smells like skunk. just the hallway, not outside, and it's definitely not some other smell.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
I'm pretty sure something died under my bedroom floor

that poo poo is getting really annoying

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

i had a choice between having a lobectomy or having ect and chemical castration so i chose the later and olfactory hallucinations were part of the side effects. do you notice it more on top of other smells? that's what happened to me

lonesomedwarf
Mar 22, 2010

it went away after a few weeks

BASF
Jun 16, 2011

by Ralp
Sometimes i'll stick my face in my crotch and i'll smell piss, but i'm pretty sure I haven't pissed myself.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
i came in this thread and smelled pussy

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

opiate withdrawal either makes me hyper-sensitive to smell or causes me to hallucinate them. I can't figure out which, all I know is I loving hate it and is the leading cause of my sobriety.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

hemophilia posted:

opiate withdrawal either makes me hyper-sensitive to smell or causes me to hallucinate them. I can't figure out which, all I know is I loving hate it and is the leading cause of my sobriety.

drat, I sincerely hope you are coming off of it well

if we can do anything to help, let us know

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

im not withdrawing right now it's just a historical problem right now until whenever i forget how much it sucks which isn't quiet yet

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

hemophilia posted:

im not withdrawing right now it's just a historical problem right now until whenever i forget how much it sucks which isn't quiet yet

post your smell hallucinations

gorki
Aug 9, 2014
i was on a bus from glasgow to edinburgh a couple of weeks ago (~80 minutes) and for the entire journey an old lady kept asking the not so old lady beside her if she could "SMELL PISH"

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

gorki posted:

i was on a bus from glasgow to edinburgh a couple of weeks ago (~80 minutes) and for the entire journey an old lady kept asking the not so old lady beside her if she could "SMELL PISH"

are you sure you were'nt in a Little Britain sketch?

or maybe League of Gentlemen

gorki
Aug 9, 2014

gnarlyhotep posted:

are you sure you were'nt in a Little Britain sketch?

wee britain :laugh:

gnarlyhotep posted:

or maybe League of Gentlemen

please don't compare those two shows, it is an injustice to the latter

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

gnarlyhotep posted:

post your smell hallucinations

It's like I can smell the wretched sin of everything on the planet and no scrubbing, cleaning, not even the cleanest room in the cleanest building in the world is free from the taint of that loving smell, which i can't really compare to anything except rotting flesh that's both moist and on fire.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

hemophilia posted:

It's like I can smell the wretched sin of everything on the planet and no scrubbing, cleaning, not even the cleanest room in the cleanest building in the world is free from the taint of that loving smell, which i can't really compare to anything except rotting flesh that's both moist and on fire.

yeah, it's the best

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

gorki posted:

wee britain :laugh:

please don't compare those two shows, it is an injustice to the latter

they're both great, don't be a poof about it

gorki
Aug 9, 2014

gnarlyhotep posted:

they're both great, don't be a poof about it

okay i will respect your incorrect opinion :love:

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

gorki posted:

okay i will respect your incorrect opinion :love:

thank you very much

so tell me what you like you daft bastard

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Flying Fortress posted:

You ever get those?
For a while I thought I was going crazy, but after a while I realized that my sanity was pretty much unchanged, it's just that sometimes I smell things that aren't there.
Examples of odors that I detect:

-burning. mostly burning.

Sometimes it's for real, like the time my neighbour's house was actually on fire. But a lot of the time it's just a smellucination. If I'm not sure I just ask my wife or whoever is around for confirmation.

Burning for me too, though it's more like a faint whiff of a tire fire. Apparently it can be a side effect of some medicines.

Radical and BADical!
Jun 27, 2010

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
No joke, I've heard quite often that smelling phantom burning (more like burning toast rather than tires)is a symptom of an impending stroke or seizure.

Flying Fortress
Oct 23, 2008

Claven666 posted:

No joke, I've heard quite often that smelling phantom burning (more like burning toast rather than tires)is a symptom of an impending stroke or seizure.

Sure is taking its time then; I've been smellucinating for years.
I'm not on any meds either :shrug:

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013
It's not a smellucination. Take a GD bath, Fortress.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
I smell blood when I'm really tired.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I don't know if someone said it but smelling things that don't exist, or losing sense of smell overall, is like a #1 symptom of many TERRIBLE diseases and conditions and imminent death

so if the OP is real its not even a LOL U GONNA DIE joke you probably should do something about it

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
Yeah, beer. For some reason I just randomly smell beers sometimes. It's nice.

Flying Fortress
Oct 23, 2008

1gnoirents posted:

I don't know if someone said it but smelling things that don't exist, or losing sense of smell overall, is like a #1 symptom of many TERRIBLE diseases and conditions and imminent death

so if the OP is real its not even a LOL U GONNA DIE joke you probably should do something about it

I dunno I've got a headache today but mostly I feel pretty good. Like what kind of diseases and conditions?

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Flying Fortress posted:

I dunno I've got a headache today but mostly I feel pretty good. Like what kind of diseases and conditions?

i dunno man i just googled it for you and c&p the first link for you

quote:

it often occurs with neurological and psychological disorders such as schizophrenia, mood disorders, Parkinsons disease, epilepsy, neuroblastoma, and frequent migraines.

Claudius Galenus also mentioned olfactory hallucinations in his work and stated that these hallucinations constitute the signs of an oncoming disease.

its called phantosmia which is a badass name though gotta admit , pc

Flying Fortress
Oct 23, 2008

it's called Smellucination and it sounds like I'm hosed

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

my nose has been stuffed for the past god drat week. i miss smells :(

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Every once in a while my dog will smell like Fritos but he hasn't been rolling in anything and I don't even remember the last time I bought Fritos.

Maybe he's buying them without my knowledge, I dunno.

Also, I remember the phantom burning smell = tumor thing from that movie 'Bandits'.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
sometimes i smell farts but it was just me who farted in the end

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Cthulu Carl posted:

Every once in a while my dog will smell like Fritos but he hasn't been rolling in anything and I don't even remember the last time I bought Fritos.

Also, I remember the phantom burning smell = tumor thing from that movie 'Bandits'.

Some dogs smell delicious but dogs are cool so not gonna eat any

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
It's weird how I smell dusty rose, like old granny perfume, before I do LSD. Like even before I know I've been dosed (again) at the stinky old junky divebar.
Weird.

John Denver Hoxha
May 31, 2014

What a persistent nightmare!
....but enough about my posts

Cthulu Carl posted:

The frito smelling dog thing is actually pretty common from what ive heard (and every dog ive had), ive heard its due to the bacteria that grows particularly on their paws

Edit: have an article about frito paws
http://www.petsadviser.com/grooming/why-do-dog-feet-smell-like-fritos/

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
fritos are made out of dog feet

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Claven666 posted:

in the case of strokes this is not a fact but a factoid; they can cause alteration in smell (ie you smell the wrong thing) but not smells where there aren't any

it seems that with epileptic seizures, it happens after the seizure, not before

nomadologique fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 2, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fonducci
Feb 5, 2007
"The other white meat"
i sometimes wake up smelling bacon but then i just realize its my vaporized body grease from sweating

• Locked thread